Some Newbie questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Some Newbie questions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I need a new daily driver in August and i think i have decided on the CTS-V. Will the 2005 ...
    offroadr35 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Some Newbie questions

I need a new daily driver in August and i think i have decided on the CTS-V. Will the 2005 models be out by then? Are there significant improvements? How hard are these cars to find at dealers? Is it something that i should order soon if i want August/September delivery?

For those of you who leased your car, what kind of residuals do they have? Unless they're offering a 0% financing or something like that by that time i will most probably lease.

Lastly, where is a good place to find lots of pictures of CTS-Vs? I'm specifically interested in pics of black cars with the light interior and also cars with aftermarket wheels.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DarthVader Guest

Re: Some Newbie questions

Yes. No. Rare. Yes.

Lease?

Check the pictures section on this forum and at cadillacowners.

ThomasO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by offroadr35
    Lastly, where is a good place to find lots of pictures of CTS-Vs? I'm specifically interested in pics of black cars with the light interior and also cars with aftermarket wheels.

Thanks,
    Steve
    http://images.google.com/images?q=CT...8&start=0&sa=N

miscreant is offline GM Connection

I need a new daily driver in August and i think i have decided on the CTS-V. Will the 2005 models be out by then? Are there significant improvements? How hard are these cars to find at dealers? Is it something that i should order soon if i want August/September delivery?

For those of you who leased your car, what kind of residuals do they have? Unless they're offering a 0% financing or something like that by that time i will most probably lease.

Thanks,
    Steve
    "Will the 2005 models be out by then?" - Yes, they will be out by early july, if not sooner.

"Any significant improvements?" - Not technically, but you will be able to get the FG2 performance suspension which was only recently offered on the 2004 model.

"How hard are they to find?" - very hard. We've not had one sit for more than 2 days, and that was only because we got an unexpected extra one from the autoshow. I've heard claims of ones "sitting at lots" but when I called the bluff, I found out that they were all "presold" units waiting for customers to pick them up.

Should you order now? Not unless you want the car in early July or earlier, BUT keep in mind that you may have to put your DEPOSIT down now just to get in line to get one. I wouldn't plan on just popping into the dealership to order a CTS-V, it's not that easy. The allocation to dealers is controlled, and thin, so you may have to just take the car early, or wait past August to get one.

Also, there will never be 0% financing on it, and there will probably never be any incentives on it at all. As for leasing, because the car is a limited production model, it carries NO subsidized rates or residuals. You probably could lease it for cheaper than you could purchase it, but do not count on a "cheap" lease, atleast not for a while. The GMAC lease schedule on it carries a "standard" interest rate (significantly higher than norm) and a "standard" published residual (significantly lower than norm). Limited edition vehicles (like the XLR as well) are never competitive lease wise - GM simply does not want these cars to circulate in the used market.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Do they make black/gray? I haven't seen any. All the blacks near me are bl/bl.

They aren't particularly rare here. From what I hear, there will be no significant (if any?) improvements in the 2005 line. But I am far from an expert.

GMAC offers some lease where you get the title in your name still but you have a balloon payment, but it's limited by mileage (however they pay you back if you go under, but the min. is like 12k miles).

If it's a daily driver I suppose leasing is okay...cough.

- Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Cal

They aren't particularly rare here. From what I hear, there will be no significant (if any?) improvements in the 2005 line. But I am far from an expert.

GMAC offers some lease where you get the title in your name still but you have a balloon payment, but it's limited by mileage (however they pay you back if you go under, but the min. is like 12k miles).

- Cal
    Real quick correction. That's a smart buy that you are talking about, and it will be more expensive and does not carry GAP insurance (though you do "own it" [if having your name on the not-paid-for title counts as owning it] and don't have to carry 100/300 limits on your insurance) and it follows the same parameters of the lease...But, they do not pay you back if you go under mileage, this is an old wives tale from the early days...If you lease or smart buy a vehicle for 12k miles per year, and only put 2k miles on it per year, you're sol - you should have never leased in the first place Please also note that in many areas (like ours) you cannot smart buy a cadillac...

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cal

- Cal
    The light gray interior will be available in 2005, according to the order guide. It was not in 2004 models. Miscreant is right on the mileage refund, and to go a little farther, the Smartbuy is used primarily in states with vicarious liability laws. This absolves the leasing company of responsibility should the vehicle driver cause damages in excess of insurance limits.

thanks for the help guys. I guess i'll just wait for a while and see what goes. While the cars are somewhat hard to find (compared to other American cars) they don't seem to be impossible. I also would not be surprised to find some good incentives on them by later this year. Every American car seems to follow the same path...exclusive and hard to get in the beginning, then a year later heavily incentived. Anyway, time will tell.

Are you sure about the light grey interior? i don't believe it is on the website and they do have the new exterior colors on there.

-Steve

I also would not be surprised to find some good incentives on them by later this year. Every American car seems to follow the same path...exclusive and hard to get in the beginning, then a year later heavily incentived. -Steve
    You can hold your breath, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money on my prediction. Why? CTS-V began production this year - won't hit a "year" until next year - Because the CTS-V is a "under 4000 a year" production vehicle, VERY limited production (heck, we've had more XLRs than CTS-V's). The normal CTS itself took a year to get any incentives, and even then it was only a $1500 rebate available to only certain people, and that is a full production vehicle (15 times the production). Cadillacs in general are not heavily incentivised. Remember, you are going to see discounts off of MSRP before you see incentives - prediction 2 - you won't see discounts off MSRP either (unless GMS or Supplier)...

Case in point: Hummer H2. Now out almost 2 years, and only now is there a $1500 rebate on them, and this is a vehicle that is produced at about 3000-3500 a month (almost as many CTS-V's that are produced a YEAR)...

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    You can hold your breath, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money on my prediction. Why? CTS-V began production this year - won't hit a "year" until next year - Because the CTS-V is a "under 4000 a year" production vehicle, VERY limited production (heck, we've had more XLRs than CTS-V's). The normal CTS itself took a year to get any incentives, and even then it was only a $1500 rebate available to only certain people, and that is a full production vehicle (15 times the production). Cadillacs in general are not heavily incentivised. Remember, you are going to see discounts off of MSRP before you see incentives - prediction 2 - you won't see discounts off MSRP either (unless GMS or Supplier)...

Case in point: Hummer H2. Now out almost 2 years, and only now is there a $1500 rebate on them, and this is a vehicle that is produced at about 3000-3500 a month (almost as many CTS-V's that are produced a YEAR)...
    of course this is a case where only time will tell. I should have just said good deals instead of factory incentives. I don't care where the savings come from. H2s can be picked up dirt cheap right now, as well as escalades, cts's, vettes including Z06, and pretty much every other american car i can think of besides the viper.

There is no question in my mind that there will be good deals to be had on the CTS-V. Whether it will happen by August/September i am quite a bit less sure about. Anyway the car is a bargain at it's MSRP so it's not that big a deal.

-Steve

pjcnlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

First off, thanks for sticking your neck out as a GM, or GM dealer employee to bring accurate info to the forum.

I just ordered an 04 Platinum/Black. I decided not to wait for the 05's as they didn't offer anything more than what I recognized to be already available or available over the parts counter soon. I also tend to keep cars for a minimum of 5 years when purchased new.

I ordered the car with FG2 and Sunroof. I understand that the FG2 option replaces the load leveling rear shocks - Good! Can you provide further detail on how the option effects ride quality, wheel hop issue?

This car will replace my daily driver which is a Supercharged 95 Ford Lighting at about 375 HP.

I am awaiting the order number now and will email same to you when available.

I await a mod to obtain an auxillary input into the audio system. Having to use an FM modulator for my MP3's is not satisfactory.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    "Will the 2005 models be out by then?" - Yes, they will be out by early july, if not sooner.

"Any significant improvements?" - Not technically, but you will be able to get the FG2 performance suspension which was only recently offered on the 2004 model.

"How hard are they to find?" - very hard. We've not had one sit for more than 2 days, and that was only because we got an unexpected extra one from the autoshow. I've heard claims of ones "sitting at lots" but when I called the bluff, I found out that they were all "presold" units waiting for customers to pick them up.

Should you order now? Not unless you want the car in early July or earlier, BUT keep in mind that you may have to put your DEPOSIT down now just to get in line to get one. I wouldn't plan on just popping into the dealership to order a CTS-V, it's not that easy. The allocation to dealers is controlled, and thin, so you may have to just take the car early, or wait past August to get one.

Also, there will never be 0% financing on it, and there will probably never be any incentives on it at all. As for leasing, because the car is a limited production model, it carries NO subsidized rates or residuals. You probably could lease it for cheaper than you could purchase it, but do not count on a "cheap" lease, atleast not for a while. The GMAC lease schedule on it carries a "standard" interest rate (significantly higher than norm) and a "standard" published residual (significantly lower than norm). Limited edition vehicles (like the XLR as well) are never competitive lease wise - GM simply does not want these cars to circulate in the used market.

shaggygrosser is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

of course this is a case where only time will tell. I should have just said good deals instead of factory incentives. I don't care where the savings come from. H2s can be picked up dirt cheap right now, as well as escalades, cts's, vettes including Z06, and pretty much every other american car i can think of besides the viper.

There is no question in my mind that there will be good deals to be had on the CTS-V. Whether it will happen by August/September i am quite a bit less sure about. Anyway the car is a bargain at it's MSRP so it's not that big a deal.

-Steve
    CTS-V as a daily driver? H2s, Escalades, CTS's, and Corvettes dirt cheap???
    Maybe my perspective is skewed, but I think the stickers on that line-up of cars seem heavy to me. My '03 CTS is my pride & joy, and my bank account hates me for it.

But, more power to you, CTS-V's a great choice.

Olds3.5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If I may ask, what won you over with the CTS-V? Specifically, does it have to have the corvette motor or will the 3.6L do? I ask this because if you are also enchanted about other features of the CTS, such as the appearance of a black CTS with aftermarket rims, then the 3.6L is available and might make a better daily driver, especially with gas prices. I know it might seem rude to question what someone has already decided to purchase. Not trying to insult.

pjcnlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I like and tend to enjoy unique cars. Cars are expensive. I cannot see spending money on medocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Olds3.5
    If I may ask, what won you over with the CTS-V? Specifically, does it have to have the corvette motor or will the 3.6L do? I ask this because if you are also enchanted about other features of the CTS, such as the appearance of a black CTS with aftermarket rims, then the 3.6L is available and might make a better daily driver, especially with gas prices. I know it might seem rude to question what someone has already decided to purchase. Not trying to insult.

powerbroker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm a new poster as well. Just ordered a black/black '05 CTS-V after turning down a silver '04. Ordered the FG2 option, dealer mentioned that for '05 there is a "luxury package" option that was not on the '04 order sheet. He had no idea what it was...any ideas?
    P.S. offroadr35 - I agree with miscreant. Every other car you mentioned has a legit reason for being cheap. They are making lots of H2's, gas is 2 bucks a gallon, and the SUV market is congested right now. The C5 is moments from getting replaced. Regular CTSs are high production and are also in a hotly contested market trying to compete with g35s, BMW 325s, Acura TLs, etc. The CTS-V does not have a natural competitor within 25k and is extremely low production. I doubt you will see discounts until one year before the redesign or when (and if) they announce a 6.0 L variant with a new dash.
    (I guess some would call the Jag S type R a competitor within 15k)
    Lastly, pjcnlv, if you are going to insult the half of the readers of this forum (those who drive 3.6 L CTS's) because they have other things besides their car to spend money on - there is no such word as "medocrisy"... try "mediocrity"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.