Cadillac Owners Forum banner
20K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  nastymigui 
#1 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed a computer in my CTS, modifying the existing factory radio.
You can find more info at the following links.

ENGLISH
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...r-project.html
http://englishcts2004carpc.blogspot.com/

SPANISH
http://www.solocarputer.com/phpbb2/v...?p=87839#87839
http://www.solocarputer.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9274&highlight=

You can have access to loads of features like GPS navigation, phone control, internet, weather info, traffic info, media player for all the available formats, rear camera, OBD II interface, etc ...

The total cost, including the installation, must be around $ 1600.

Once you started you cannot stop ....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice install! You definitely did a much cleaner job of running all the wires than me. The rear view cam is a nice addition.

If the Lilliput TS craps out on you, consider upgrading to the Xenarc. This happened to me and I found the Xenarc's TS to be much more accurate in all temperatures and it has lasted more than two times longer than the Lilliput and still going strong.

#6 ·
Post At Other Forums - More Info Available

Thanks for your answer, specially to Mbai who I consider the f***** master (en español el p*** amo). You were my inspiration and thanks to you I could make it happen. Having an US car in Spain means no help and no information at all.

The right links to my other posts are:

ENGLISH

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/92365-cadillac-cts-2004-carputer-project.html

ESPAÑOL

http://www.solocarputer.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9274
http://cts2004carpc.blogspot.com/

Trackerdog, It's not difficult, I promise. I'm not an expert and the only problem to me was to build the custom harness to drive the audio through the factory speakers. Have a look to my posts above to find out. However, adding an aux input for cars in the USA is easier having the XM radio module.

BTW, MJ used to be a hell of an artist (specially in the 80s). Next time I will play Beyonce or Shakira for you ;-)

#7 ·
Re: Post At Other Forums - More Info Available

The right links to my other posts are:

ENGLISH

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/92365-cadillac-cts-2004-carputer-project.html

ESPAÑOL

http://www.solocarputer.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9274
http://cts2004carpc.blogspot.com/

Trackerdog, It's not difficult, I promise. I'm not an expert and the only problem to me was to build the custom harness to drive the audio through the factory speakers. Have a look to my posts above to find out. However, adding an aux input for cars in the USA is easier having the XM radio module.

BTW, MJ used to be a hell of an artist (specially in the 80s). Next time I will play Beyonce or Shakira for you ;-)
There are a couple of carputer projects that I'm looking at real hard to try to even think about implementing look like they such major surgery. But I'm reading the posts and looking at the projects.

With a Used/New Cadillac Nav going for over 1K I'm thinking real hard on a carputer. But I'm a Sirius guys, but I think that could be incorporated without too much extra effort.

And I'm old enough to have waited in line to buy MJ's Thriller album...

#10 ·
Sure, have in mind that Cadillac is a very minoritary brand in Spain. They sold around 70 cars in 2006 (all models) and 150 during 2007. I only saw 3 CTS (including mine), 1 STS, 2 BLS, 2 SRX, 4 Escalade and 2 XLR out in the streets.
80 % of sells for these kind of vehicles in Spain are for Merecedes, Audi and BMW ... but even their owners always turn their heads to look at my Caddy.

#12 · (Edited)
If you check the links at the first post you will find all that info.
In any case, my Cadillact CTS 2004 is the base version (called Comfort in Spain), so it has no leather, no sunroof, no navigation, nothing but the car itself.
It's black raven and I added a couple of things like tinted glasses, a GPS tracker, a bluetoth hands free for the telephone and finally the carputer.
The carputer is based in a Epia M1000 mobo, with 1 Gb RAM, 80 Gb HD, a DVD burner, USB 2.0 hubs, a GPS antenna, etc ...
The engine is the LY9, developed for Export, that is 2.6 V6 and gives 181 HP. As you can see is the very basic version of the CTS.
In the future I would like to add some mods like stability bars, a better exhaust, OBD interface, upgrade the audio system, etc ... but I must wait until my wife forgot the money I already spent to install the carputer.

What ewould you recommend first?

#13 ·
Cts 2004 - 2.6 V6 Ly9 (export)

This is an extract from the attached complete datasheet for the CTS 2004 2.6 V6 version.

2004 Cadillac CTS Performance & Efficiency Standard Features

Engine 2,597 cc 2.6 liters V6 front engine (LY9 Export)
4 valves per cylinder
83.2 bore and 79.6 mm stroke (3.3 x 3.1 inches)
10 compression ratio, double overhead cam (DOHC)

Power 181.00 PS (133 kW or 179 HP) @ 6000 RPM
Power/Weight ratio 0.1017 ps/kg
Torque 232.00 Nm (23.7 kgf-m or 171.1 ft.lbs) @ 3400 RPM

Gearbox 5 speed manual
Top Speed 223 km/h (138.6 mph)
0-100 km/h 0-62 mph 9.3 seconds
Coefficient of drag 0.31

Fuel Unleaded fuel 95/98

Fuel Economy EPA mixed 22.6 mpg
10.4 l/100

Attachments

#14 ·
Re: Cts 2004 - 2.6 V6 Ly9 (export)

This is an extract from the attached complete datasheet for the CTS 2004 2.6 V6 version.

2004 Cadillac CTS Performance & Efficiency Standard Features

Engine 2,597 cc 2.6 liters V6 front engine (LY9 Export)
4 valves per cylinder
83.2 bore and 79.6 mm stroke (3.3 x 3.1 inches)
10 compression ratio, double overhead cam (DOHC)

Power 181.00 PS (133 kW or 179 HP) @ 6000 RPM
Power/Weight ratio 0.1017 ps/kg
Torque 232.00 Nm (23.7 kgf-m or 171.1 ft.lbs) @ 3400 RPM

Gearbox 5 speed manual
Top Speed 223 km/h (138.6 mph)
0-100 km/h 0-62 mph 9.3 seconds
Coefficient of drag 0.31

Fuel Unleaded fuel 95/98

Fuel Economy EPA mixed 22.6 mpg
10.4 l/100
Wow, 2.6!! I knew they made a variant of the 3.6 with a 2.8 which is basically the same engine. 2.6 is new to me. Do you know if its a VVT variable valve timing like the 3.6 or is it the engine from another GM car.
I'm surprised it has 10 to 1 compression that calls for high test gasoline. My 3.6 runs on low test(87).

You can use several items from the CTS-V like I did. They are plug and play.
Front & rear sway bars, Front & rear springs and struts. These change will really make that CTS handle like a sports car. You can do a CAI(Cold Air Intake) I did a write up in Reeds FAQ website for a modification of the airbox and addition of a Fram AirHog filter. Good for about 10 horsepower for less than $50. Last would be your exhaust. I imagine you have a single exhaust. Duals will pick up some HP. Borla and Corsa make these but are very pricey.

What size wheels do you have? 16"? 18" is a good choice. Some of this stuff can be purchased on eBay. Ever use eBay?

Hasta luego Amigo:bouncy:

#15 ·
Mods

I will have a look to your recommedations, thanks a lot.
I'm using 16" but the biggest I can use is 17" (the law in Spain doesn't allow us to implement not approved modifications and that one is not).
I don't know too much about that engine, but I will do some research over the web and I will let you know.

I use eBay, actually I found most of the parts for the carputer there.

#17 ·
Re: Mods

I will have a look to your recommedations, thanks a lot.
I'm using 16" but the biggest I can use is 17" (the law in Spain doesn't allow us to implement not approved modifications and that one is not).
I don't know too much about that engine, but I will do some research over the web and I will let you know.

I use eBay, actually I found most of the parts for the carputer there.
get some 18 inch stock sport rims....those are approved :thumbsup:

and as for the engine all u can do is intake and exhaust unless u want to spend like 4-8k on a supercharger...

or you can be like me and spend 2k on nitrous :rolleyes:

#18 ·
My Music

Thanks for all your ideas about how to improve my CTS.

I found some info over my engine googling:

The CTS originally offered either a 5-speed 5L40-E automatic transmission or 5-speed Getrag 260 manual transmission. The Getrag was replaced with an Aisin AY-6 6-speed for 2005.

The Opel-derived 3.2L V6 has 220 hp, which it makes with minimal fuss at 6000 rpm. We question why Cadillac didn't use the 3.8L Buick V6, but we suspect the Opel's overseas breeding, higher DOHC technology, and its uniqueness among domestic GMs give it enough snob-power to overcome its lack of horsepower. Perhaps the fact that European models get a smaller 2.6L version of the same engine (which is already available on Opels and Saabs and built at GM's Ellesmere Port, England engine plant) makes the odd choice of powerplants a done deal.

NOTE: I noticed that people out there is making fun about the music I'm playing when I shot the pictures, so next time I will post photos with Shakira or Beyonce, do you agree or have any other suggestion?:hide:

#19 ·
Re: My Music

Thanks for all your ideas about how to improve my CTS.

I found some info over my engine googling:

The CTS originally offered either a 5-speed 5L40-E automatic transmission or 5-speed Getrag 260 manual transmission. The Getrag was replaced with an Aisin AY-6 6-speed for 2005.

The Opel-derived 3.2L V6 has 220 hp, which it makes with minimal fuss at 6000 rpm. We question why Cadillac didn't use the 3.8L Buick V6, but we suspect the Opel's overseas breeding, higher DOHC technology, and its uniqueness among domestic GMs give it enough snob-power to overcome its lack of horsepower. Perhaps the fact that European models get a smaller 2.6L version of the same engine (which is already available on Opels and Saabs and built at GM's Ellesmere Port, England engine plant) makes the odd choice of powerplants a done deal.

NOTE: I noticed that people out there is making fun about the music I'm playing when I shot the pictures, so next time I will post photos with Shakira or Beyonce, do you agree or have any other suggestion?:hide:
Your english is very good! Are you a native of Spain?

#20 ·
Spain

Yes, I was born in Madrid and my parents are from a lovely city called Málaga (I would recommend to go there to spend your holidays).
My Grandpa came from England with his parents (his father had a job at the Embassy) in the 30s but he decided not to return with them and to burn the money of the family in wine, women, bull fighting, cars , etc ... and then to waste the balance.
That's how we became an average family.
Actually my father never learnt English and none of my borthers did either, but I had the skill to learn it by watching movies when I was young and now I can apply for good jobs because of that ...

I'm sorry for posting this message, but I am so new that I cannot send you a PM.
:yawn:

#21 ·
Re: Spain

Yes, I was born in Madrid and my parents are from a lovely city called Málaga (I would recommend to go there to spend your holidays).
My Grandpa came from England with his parents (his father had a job at the Embassy) in the 30s but he decided not to return with them and to burn the money of the family in wine, women, bull fighting, cars , etc ... and then to waste the balance.
That's how we became an average family.
Actually my father never learnt English and none of my borthers did either, but I had the skill to learn it by watching movies when I was young and now I can apply for good jobs because of that ...

I'm sorry for posting this message, but I am so new that I cannot send you a PM.
:yawn:
It's OK to wander off topic a bit. We all do it. Here we have the opportunity find out about a member from another country and how they ended up with a CTS. We have members from Israel, Germany and England. That's really cool to see our Caddys appealing to other countries.

We'll soon have you up to 50 posts so you can PM.:thumbsup:

Bob

#22 ·
IMHO the carputer is better than the stock NAVI...i h8 the navi...

#23 ·
Nasty,

just wanna give u some pounds 4 the niceness u pulled off....

#24 ·
Improve My Performance

Hi guys,

I investigated a little to improve the performance of my CTS. First thing is to program the ECU to get more HP.

There is a Magnaflow dealer in Spain that would make a custom exhaust for me for € 1,000 (quite cheap, right?). They have one for the CTS-V already homolagated at € 2,500.

I will install a couple of Eibach products:

EIBACH PRO-KIT 3878.140
EIBACH ANTI-ROLL 3878.320

And the BMR STB008 Strut Tower Brace.

I think I will get a Fram AirHog PPA7597 to follow the guide of RobertCTS for a Tony A Ram Air.

Now here comes my doubts:

If I low the suspension I must change the shock absorbers, but which one should I choose?

Since I'm getting more power my brakes would get too weak to eventually stop the car. Which one should I install?

Would you give me some leads?

NOTE.: I'm joining a Spanish club at www.silver-road.com so if some of you happened to come to Spain maybe you could come a get a ride with us.

#25 ·
Re: Cts 2004 - 2.6 V6 Ly9 (export)

Hi RobertCTS,

I made a CAI following your instructions and it seems like something changed a bit ...
However, I'm making a decision over the other mods so this is what I'm doing shortly:

HOTCHKIS TVS 80079-1, $ 609.99 at www.tbyrnemotorsports.com
People at Hotchkis told me that it will work fine with my factory absorbers.

Strut Bar BMR STB008, $ 249.95 at www.jannettyracing.com

New custom dual exhaust by Magnaflow, including a high flow catalytic converter that would give me like 20 extra HP. This will cost around € 1500.00.

If anybody knows a better source for the other components please let me know.

Future modifications will be to change the wheels (17" or 18"), shock absorbers and brakes.

#29 ·
Stb

You are probably right. I checked the hood and I'm nout sure I will have room enough for it, but the part was so cheap that I took the risk anyway ($ 70).
However, I'm taking the car to a race expert and I expect he will manage to make a custom strut bar for me.

#32 ·
The Bottom?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean with "bottom".
Which view do you need?

Thanks for being always there.

By the way.

I am getting quoted $ 100 for a FE4 shocks kit (almost new). Is it a good price?
I intend to install them with the Hotchkis TVS 80079-1 and then to change the wheels to 18".

What do you think about this configuration?

#33 ·
Re: The Bottom?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean with "bottom".
Which view do you need?

Thanks for being always there.

By the way.

I am getting quoted $ 100 for a FE4 shocks kit (almost new). Is it a good price?
I intend to install them with the Hotchkis TVS 80079-1 and then to change the wheels to 18".

What do you think about this configuration?
That's not bad but I got mine for $40. That was extremely good!! You'll love those FE4 Nivomats!!:bouncy:

You have a top and bottom to your hood. The bottom is the part you see when you open the hood. I'm looking for a channel about 4" wide near the back of the hood that is there to clear the STB. If it's not there then you are screwed. :( Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.