CTS Subwoofer Upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS Subwoofer Upgrade in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am thinking about upgrading the stock subwoofer in my CTS (non-Bose system). Before I start taking things apart to ...
    Justin83NJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTS Subwoofer Upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading the stock subwoofer in my CTS (non-Bose system).

Before I start taking things apart to find out for myself, I figured I'd ask you guys a few questions.

- What size is the stock subwoofer -- 8" or 10"?
    - How do I replace it? Do I have to take the rear deck/rear seats out or can it be removed from underneath in the trunk?
    - Where would be the best place to add a stronger subwoofer amp so it is out of sight? What does the stock setup consist of?
    - Would I have to run a new, thicker power wire to a new amp (200-400 W RMS) or is the existing wiring sufficient?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I dont know all these cause im having a shop do this for free in addition to the rest of my stuff
    but its a 10"
    im pretty sure it need the deck taken off, but u might be able to squeeze it in, ill tell u when it get done. The sub you can put on the underside of the rear deck and it wont show at all
    if your using a bigger sub a bigger wire is better

letsgored is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    B'CTSAMG, I'd love to hear any and all details that you find out about the base CTS speakers and appropriate upgrade specifications (speakers sizes/depths, appropriate ohms, etc.).

I'm not very versed in this stuff, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're planning on replacing the CTS's rear deck subwoofer, you should look for a replacement that is designed as "open air". Most subwoofers aren't; they are designed to be put into a small box/enclosure to sound right. With an "open air" subwoofer, the entire trunk area acts as the enclosure. Since I can see the bottom of the CTS's subwoofer when I look in my trunk, I would say that this is an instance where an "open air" designed replacement is most appropriate.

Yeah this is defn open air, butyou can build a box. I just didnt want to waster trunk space

Yes, I'm planning on using an open air subwoofer. But I wasn't even sure what size the sub was. Now that I know it is 10 inch, I will probably go with the Inifinity Kappy Perfect 10 VQ, and a Rockford Fosgate amp.

I am going to start taking things apart this weekend to see where the stock sub gets its signal -- from an amp concealed in the trunk or from up front.

Yeah, unfortunatly my car is in the shop in dc and im taking exams in atlanta (Go Emory!) So i cant tell you everything about the install. (I will be able to give way more info by next weekend) anyway, im getting a kicker open air put in (you should look at kicker its a pretty good company) and spend the extra money on fosgate, they have the best high end stuff and some of the crappiest low end stuff. Good company overall, made in the dessert of arizona so they can sound test all their stuff.

letsgored is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    B'CTSAMG, how'd the install go? I'm interested in hearing any details you can share.

It hasnt started yet! My brother got a new car that is the install places show car (all fosgate utopia stuff super expensive!!) so right now his car is completely gutted and i have to wait for them to finish! I may not go with the open air afterall though...we'll see!

I haven't done anything with the stereo yet, either. I had been too busy with school, now I'm too busy with work.

But thanks for the info, AMG! It's funny you mentioned Kicker because I had been looking into a Kicker sub too -- same power and sensitivity ratings as the Infinity Kappa and much cheaper.

Good luck with your install and keep us informed!

Justin

homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: CTS Subwoofer Upgrade

BUILDINGCTSAMG... did you do it yet??? I am getting sick of my weak sub... I really want to drop in another sub but am hearing the same "open air" vs "box sub". Did you ever find the ohm rating for our sub?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.