Starting disabled remove key
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Starting disabled remove key in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; OK, the strange thing about this condition is that it happens WHILE DRIVING! (2003 CTS with LS package and Bose ...
    ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Question Starting disabled remove key

OK, the strange thing about this condition is that it happens WHILE DRIVING! (2003 CTS with LS package and Bose NAV)

The MO is strange. the car can be speeding up or keeping a constant speed. The cruise may be active or not... The condition though is always unexpected. You will be driving along and the engine will just shut off and then the NAV screen will display "STARTING DISABLED REMOVE KEY".

Sometimes while coasting to the side of the road, it will magically come back to life and continue like nothing happened. Sometimes you will have to get off the road and then restart it. If the cruise was set, the condition shuts off the cruise and resets all driver presets to a factory default.

I have had OnStar do the remote diagnostics and they have found nothing. Once they do the check however, the cruise control will become active again, at least indicating that the system has been cleared.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? I would think that the key check is done only at startup... Is it always checking the key?

The dealer of course has no clue. They have replaced the keys and the Theft deterrent Control Module. It still hapens about 1 or 2 times a month.

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: WTF? Over... STARTING DISABLED REMOVE KEY

Had the key thing happen. Cadillac Roadside Assistance help me out.

Re: Starting disabled remove key

So am I to understand that it happened to you while driving? If so, this seems silly that it would check the key again once you have already passed the test and started the car.

What was the solution in your case?

Fortunately it happened in my garage. Turned out something was draining the battery and when the key was turned into the start possition it would'nt allow you to remove the key!! Caddy Tech had a high powered quick discharge battery jumper and it started. I let it run for a half hour and it was fine. You situation would scare the hell out of me. I'm sure you plan to take it in for service?

B.

Service has been a PITA about this... You know the story.... There are no DTC codes showing and we can not duplicate the situation.

I have the service manuals now (Wow 4-1/4" Thick) and they do state that a <9V battery will activate this condition, but it also states that the condition will NOT stop the car while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ssstealth View Post
    Service has been a PITA about this... You know the story.... There are no DTC codes showing and we can not duplicate the situation.

I have the service manuals now (Wow 4-1/4" Thick) and they do state that a <9V battery will activate this condition, but it also states that the condition will NOT stop the car while driving.
    Just noticed you live in Winston Salem, heart of NASCAR Racing!
    I'm also a scholar of the Civil War and you're living in the heart of that too!

Do you have an active OnStar? If so you could have them do a satellite diagnostic when it happens!

Actually, I live just down the street from Richard Childress... his winery may be my closest liquor store

The last time this happened I immediately called OnStar. On this occasion, the fuel shut off and the message displayed. As I coasted to the right lane, it started back up again... poof! The DIC then displayed "DRIVER 1" instead of the names we have stored and ALL settings were gone. The cruise control would not function, the NAV was at factory view settings, and the stereo was reset also.

OnStar ran the diagnostics and found nothing. Once they finished the diagnostic and I hung up, the cruise was functional again! My service rep recommended an exorcism.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by ssstealth View Post
    Actually, I live just down the street from Richard Childress... his winery may be my closest liquor store

The last time this happened I immediately called OnStar. On this occasion, the fuel shut off and the message displayed. As I coasted to the right lane, it started back up again... poof! The DIC then displayed "DRIVER 1" instead of the names we have stored and ALL settings were gone. The cruise control would not function, the NAV was at factory view settings, and the stereo was reset also.

OnStar ran the diagnostics and found nothing. Once they finished the diagnostic and I hung up, the cruise was functional again! My service rep recommended an exorcism.
    You're describing a complete loss of electrical power and system reset. You've got a wire/cable that's loose or the end is improperly crimped; maybe a loose relay. Someday it'll quit alltogether and you'll be able to find it.
    scooter05 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I thought I saw some obscure thread talking about a wire under the fuse panel in the engine compartment. This ring any bells?

leiber is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 2003

Unhappy Re: Starting disabled remove key

I HAVE NOW THE SAME PROBLEM: Starting disabled remove key ON MY CTS 2003 WITH 80Miles. now i have problems to restar the engine, when start the engine then go away in few minutes the problem comes back again and nav shows Starting disabled remove key. other times nav show power engine reduced and engine feels very bad. somebody know the reason?

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

have you ever changed your Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)?

jimbrocaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006

My experience with a crank position sensor when they go they really go buy buy, DEAD.
    The electrical wiring I think is a start. What starts the ECM and controls the system. The shut down in what you say is "STARTING DISABLED REMOVE KEY" it sound as though at top there is a cut out. Ignition switch or link to ECM power line.
    Da! can't tell you anymore than that logic.
    Jim

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

The loose wire in the fuse pannel I think was my thread..it was not starting and key was stuck in ignition.
    So check all the wires,relays and fuses, make sure they all have a good connection.
    I wouldn't rule out a bad ecu, or just a bad ground somewhere.

I can confirm that ours is still doing this even after changing the Crank Position Sensor. I will also state that the car was taken to the dealer several times while under warranty and they could not fix it either. They replaced many electrical parts. The most puzzling thing is that when it happens, it is usually on a nice smooth road with the cruise set. Not only is it aggravating but quite dangerous when it cuts off in heavy traffic.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

This sounds like a logic reset.
    I am mainly bumping this so I'll check it tomorrow, someone bump it again so I don't forget

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.