Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: lighted door sills

  1. #1
    LUVMY04V's Avatar
    LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dekalb IL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,585

    lighted door sills

    Some people wanted these and this looks like a cheap option if u really want them
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Cad...88266691QQrdZ1

    just drill some holes underneath and install some leds (these would probebly work http://superlumination.com/images/au...57_36_w_wm.jpg and run a wire to the light underneath your dash for power. And have goth make a clear type vinyl decal deal to disperse the light underneath

    sure beats the 450 dollar option that that guy wanted before.

    Im gonna start my own mad scientist thing i think


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy03caddy View Post
    Some people wanted these and this looks like a cheap option if u really want them
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Cad...88266691QQrdZ1

    just drill some holes underneath and install some leds (these would probebly work http://superlumination.com/images/au...57_36_w_wm.jpg and run a wire to the light underneath your dash for power. And have goth make a clear type vinyl decal deal to disperse the light underneath

    sure beats the 450 dollar option that that guy wanted before.

    Im gonna start my own mad scientist thing i think
    I can only say the sill plates suck. Not sure what I'd do with the funky light. Show me when UR done.
    Last edited by RobertCTS; 03-08-07 at 12:49 PM.

  4. #3
    jstein12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    263

    Re: lighted door sills

    I have seen these. Regardless of your lighted idea, I was concerned that the cut out area would be a magnet for dirt and mud to accumulate, which could be a bitch to clean.

  5. #4
    LUVMY04V's Avatar
    LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dekalb IL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,585

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    I can only say the sill plates such. Not sure what I'd do with the funky light. Show me when UR done.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstein12 View Post
    I have seen these. Regardless of your lighted idea, I was concerned that the cut out area would be a magnet for dirt and mud to accumulate, which could be a bitch to clean.
    yeah im not planning on doing it but some people wanted lighted sills and they were like 450 bucks so i was throwing a relatively easy diy lighted sills idea out there

  6. #5
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: lighted door sills

    Actually Luv I'm thinking something more practical like replacing my dome light with a classic mirrored disco ball!!!!


  7. #6
    LUVMY04V's Avatar
    LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dekalb IL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,585

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    Actually Luv I'm thinking something more practical like replacing my dome light with a classic mirrored disco ball!!!!

    I knew u would come around to the dark side eventually (bling side)

  8. #7
    Kael's Avatar
    Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,430

    Re: lighted door sills

    Dont make me hurt you.


    -K

  9. #8
    Kael's Avatar
    Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,430

    Re: lighted door sills

    hmmm, maybe put a piece of cut lexan underneath with an opaque patch under the lettering then run an LED to the edge of it (drill in a recess into the edge so you dont see the LED under the metal (metal on top, recess in side of lexan, LED in the lexan))

    that would give it a neat backlight effect and prevent the metal from bending.

  10. #9
    LUVMY04V's Avatar
    LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dekalb IL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,585

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    hmmm, maybe put a piece of cut lexan underneath with an opaque patch under the lettering then run an LED to the edge of it (drill in a recess into the edge so you dont see the LED under the metal (metal on top, recess in side of lexan, LED in the lexan))

    that would give it a neat backlight effect and prevent the metal from bending.
    good idea!!!

  11. #10
    RightTurn's Avatar
    RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Keep Right™
    Posts
    41,011

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    Actually Luv I'm thinking something more practical like replacing my dome light with a classic mirrored disco ball!!!!

    Now THAT's funny, I don't care who you are.

  12. #11
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    Now THAT's funny, I don't care who you are.
    Geeez RT it me Robert. You've forgotten me already?!

  13. #12
    jstein12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    263

    Re: lighted door sills

    Hey Robert,

    The poor guy just tried to share an idea to us for contemplation. I appeciate his post and idea.

    Besides, your mirrored ball on the dome light does not match the ones on my rear view mirror and rear windshield!

    Some guys have no taste.

    Disco Duck

  14. #13
    RobertCTS's Avatar
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    22,418

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by jstein12 View Post
    Hey Robert,

    The poor guy just tried to share an idea to us for contemplation. I appeciate his post and idea.

    Besides, your mirrored ball on the dome light does not match the ones on my rear view mirror and rear windshield!

    Some guys have no taste.

    Disco Duck
    That's fine. Hang on his idea and ignore me bro

  15. #14
    jstein12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    263

    Re: lighted door sills

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    That's fine. Hang on his idea and ignore me bro
    Read between the lines my friend.

    Have a nice day

  16. #15
    AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: lighted door sills

    Luv, I know the look you are going for. Bob doesn't realize that $200,000 Mercedes have this as an option And Bentley's and Maybachs use this extensively.

    Anyhow, cutting into the rocker isn't easy. And the frame is flush behind the rocker, iirc. I don't see how you'll have the space without cutting through plastic and then metal.

    Classy mod if done correctly tho. IE, even light output through the whole sill.


    OFF-TOPIC. Are you still thinking of doing projectors in your fog housings? I am as well...Ive got a few ideas if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum