CTS v. Lincoln MKZ
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS v. Lincoln MKZ in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I originally posted this on www.lincolnforums.com : I leased an AWD Mark Z last week to replace my AWD Sierra ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

CTS v. Lincoln MKZ

I originally posted this on www.lincolnforums.com :

I leased an AWD Mark Z last week to replace my AWD Sierra Denali as one of my daily drivers. I was looking for a domestic AWD luxury sedan and narrowed the field to a STS or Mark Z. I went with the Mark Z because it met our needs at a MSRP about $17K less.

I've mainly owned GM vehicles over the past 30 years, and have family members who have retired from GM and Ford. I owned an 04 CTS, so if I compare the MKZ to the CTS, each has advantages:

MKZ advantages:

- Availability of AWD (to be offered on the new CTS next year).
    - Availability of cooled seats which are not available on the CTS or my SRX.
    - The seat bottoms are ventilated all the way to the front and the seat bottom length is longer.
    - Lots of standard features that are extra cost on the CTS: heated seats, fold down rear seat (I like the trunk-mounted releases on the MKZ), vivid red color, 3.5L engine, and automatic trans.
    - Options on the MKZ are available ala-carte rather that having to be part of expensive packages.
    - The standard radio is better than the upgraded Bose in my SRX, especially in the mid-range. Plus it has a MP3 jack.
    - More trunk space and back seat legroom.

CTS advantages:

- Better handling. The MKZ reminds me of it's 626 roots with occasional rear suspension clunks on rough roads. (I used to own a 94 626.)
    - The CTS 3.6 appears to be smoother and have more low end torque. I haven't seen the Duratec torque curve, but the GM 3.6 has 250 lb. ft. of torque at 2500 RPM. However, the Duratec is starting to wake up in the last 50 miles and I haven't really pushed it hard since I'm still in the break-in period. I'll reserve judgement here.
    - More aggressive looks. I like the arts & science look. Others don't. Frankly, another reason I chose the Mark Z is that I wanted something that looked different than my SRX.
    - Seat comfort and leather aroma. I've gotten really used to the Cadillac Sigma platform seats and it's taking me a bit of time to find the most comfortable position in the MKZ. Also, the leather smells overly sweet.
    - Higher electronic content including tire pressure monitor, oil life monitor, and OnStar. (Some may consider this an advantage.)

So far, I've been pleased. The Mark Z had zero delivery issues - everything worked. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be snowy and icy. Great day to try out the AWD.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: CTS v. Lincoln MKZ

Great comparison! I like the MKZ myself.. Good choice...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Haleykeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS North*

man!!!!!!!!!!! you folks need to change this whole board to the "lincoln Sellout board".well at least you all are being truthful about what's really in your heart.you wont catch me in a lincoln; even if they gave it to me free.If it's not a Caddy,don't even bother brinning it.

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

I am a lincoln sellout, but the other direction. I sold out from a Mark VIII and went to a Seville .

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
    I am a lincoln sellout, but the other direction. I sold out from a Mark VIII and went to a Seville .
    Talk about a downgrade! jk

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

We're generally very open-minded around here. We can respect other makes and models besides just Cadillacs - which makes us a very credible community compared to others. There's nothing wrong with Lincolns.. They're making excellent vehicles and I'd be just as proud to drive one as I am a Cadillac. However, Cadillacs have been in my family for years - and I'd like to keep it that way...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

The MKZ is a very impressive car. I like the look with the chrome grill. Nothing wrong with brand loyalty but I just figured if you found a car you feel good in it shouldn't matter who made it. My father, grandfather, uncle etc... are all Ford men hence me looking for a Mark VIII. I got into my Eldo and it felt just right regardless of the brand loyalty. My father thinks I made a mistake because of the HG rumors but if they go I will fix it because the car feel right to me. I still intend to own a VII, VIII & a STS and they all will be parked next to my Eldo.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

MKZ is based on Mazda's CD3 platform, which is all new as of 2003. 626 was a product of the Mazda-Ford platform that was developed in the 80s and finally gave us the 90s MX-6, Probe, and 626.

PAULSTSMAN1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 CADILLAC STS

Cool Re: CTS v. Lincoln MKZ

I think the only problem with Lincoln is Ford bought Jaguar. Ford lost it's focus (no pun intended), Lincoln especially the Towncar was better in the previous models 1990's, it was long, ultra smooth, and luxurious. My brother in law had one, and it drove wonderfully. The latest one now signing it's swan song, became a float for seniors, few gauges, underpowered, uninteresting.

the MKZ, has a nice interior, and I generally like it more than the A&S CTS. The 2008 CTS looks much better, but I think it will face a lot of competition from Mercedes Benz C350, Volvo S80, even the Pontiac G8. Well we'll see...

lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

I don't like Lincoln much, but the MKZ isn't too bad. I'd prefer my STS any day though!

Haleykeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS North*

man,wait until the new CTS comes out.it will blow the MKZ (or what ever they call it today) out of the water.Lincoln has taken a chapter out of the 90's era cadillac.chrome trimming,and front-wheel drive.Don't get me wrong,i own a 94 STS with NorthStar FWD,but i'm a Loyal Cadillac fan.I've driven a Mark VIII,and hated how it sounded,and how it ran.too much of an "old-mans" car to be driving around in.the airbags leaked,and in order to retain those factory units,you better have a padded wallet to cover the costs for them,"sagging bags".So with that being said,i've tried them out,and simply did'nt like what i was riding in.If i'm not driving a Cadillac,i may just look to buying a Mercedes,or Lexus.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Haleykeek View Post
    man,wait until the new CTS comes out.it will blow the MKZ (or what ever they call it today) out of the water.Lincoln has taken a chapter out of the 90's era cadillac.chrome trimming,and front-wheel drive.Don't get me wrong,i own a 94 STS with NorthStar FWD,but i'm a Loyal Cadillac fan.I've driven a Mark VIII,and hated how it sounded,and how it ran.too much of an "old-mans" car to be driving around in.the airbags leaked,and in order to retain those factory units,you better have a padded wallet to cover the costs for them,"sagging bags".So with that being said,i've tried them out,and simply did'nt like what i was riding in.If i'm not driving a Cadillac,i may just look to buying a Mercedes,or Lexus.
    Your so off base about the Mark VIII it's not even funny. You think a RWD V8 is an old man's car to a FWD V8 car?

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Your so off base about the Mark VIII it's not even funny. You think a RWD V8 is an old man's car to a FWD V8 car?
    yeah +1

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    +2

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

MKZ is going to be a damn good used bargain, just like the LS 8.
    If I bought one, first thing I'd do is yank that stupid MKZ badge and throw on a proper "Zephyr"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.