What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've always been a Cadillac-Buick fan first. But when I was a teen/young adult I also really wanted a Lincoln ...
    mharker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan Deville; 92 Corvette; 06 Town Car; 09 Sienna

What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs?

I've always been a Cadillac-Buick fan first. But when I was a teen/young adult I also really wanted a Lincoln Mark VII LSC.

I figured by now that much like Caddies, there would be all sorts of well-kept examples out there for sale. Nicely maintained by rich old guys and fully depreciated. Or one-owner estate sales. But I never see any. Would be a nice addition to the collection to grab a nice one for a few thou.

Where are they all? Perhaps many of them might have got junked because expensive electronics, suspension, exhaust makes it a money pit. But yet there are all sorts of Mustangs on the road and engine is similar.

Any you guys ever own one? Work on one? How bad are they? One would expect with all the mustangs out there we'd have a couple enthusiasts, at least for the Mark VII.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs?

I bought a Mark VII new. Loved it. Never took it back for any warranty work. Great ride! Traded it on an Eldorado.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

The Mark VII has the tried and true 5.0 right?

Yeah. Supposed to be similar to Mustang 5.0 engine.

But I see less than 1/2 dozen of them on the road per year. And over the last decade I've seen maybe less than 10 that were customized.

Just wondering what made them nearly extinct by this point. Low demand? High repair costs? Rust?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The 5.0 in the Lincoln is exactly the same as the 5.0 in the Mustang.

Go to www.lincolnowners.com for more information on the Mark's...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

annie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS green-98 ESC white-94 sts green

My first car was a black 1990 Mark VII LSC and my last car before my first Cadillac was a 1994 Mark VIII LSC. It is easy to find first gen Mark VIII (93-96)
    but the best looking ones are the 97-98s witches only about 45,000 were made over the two years. The only serious issues with all marks were the expensive leaky air suspensions but this could easily be fixed with a $600 coil over conversion. The main reason I still want a 98 LSC is because lowered they handle well and the drive line from engine to rear is 98% mustang cobra.
    Think of any mark VII or VIII as a luxed up mustang of the same year. With most of the 95-present mustang cobras weighing over 3700 lbs you can expect the exact same performance numbers if you were to mod an auto mustang cobra and a Mark VIII with the same part.

Check this 11.70 at 118mph second one on street fire, can you say sleeper:
    Click to see Video">
    Click to see Video

__________________________________________________ _____________
    MY LACS

annie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS green-98 ESC white-94 sts green

Quote Originally Posted by mharker View Post
    Yeah. Supposed to be similar to Mustang 5.0 engine.

But I see less than 1/2 dozen of them on the road per year. And over the last decade I've seen maybe less than 10 that were customized.

Just wondering what made them nearly extinct by this point. Low demand? High repair costs? Rust?
    I see at lest one of each type everyday here in New York, especially the 93-96 Mark VIII.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
    MY LACS

This redirection from the lounge to this board is lame.

I'm not making a comparison of any cars vs. Cadillacs. Just wanted opinions from other car enthusiasts if they had experience with a specific model.

So... if I have a question about Hyundais (or dishwashers) I get to be on the high-traffic lounge board. But if it's about Lincolns I'm bumped to the low-traffic board?

A big fault of cadillacforums IMO.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

My first car was a 1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC and the car was great. Never had any issues with it and it was in mint condition and was in the family since it was new. I've also owned a 1995 Mark VIII and that was a great car as well. You can find good condition Mark's but you have to be patient with trying to find them. I would recommend Ebay or a Lincoln forum of some sort

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I didn't personally move this discussion but you're right - our system is a little quirky.. We should probably just have an "Other Automobiles" section rather than a "Cadillac Versus" section..

Quote Originally Posted by mharker View Post
    This redirection from the lounge to this board is lame.

I'm not making a comparison of any cars vs. Cadillacs. Just wanted opinions from other car enthusiasts if they had experience with a specific model.

So... if I have a question about Hyundais (or dishwashers) I get to be on the high-traffic lounge board. But if it's about Lincolns I'm bumped to the low-traffic board?

A big fault of cadillacforums IMO.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

The Mark VIII is the #1 car I want to buy next. Most specifically, a 95 or 96 LSC in that beautifiul Cream Pearleascent color. I drove a '93 once and loved it, could spin the tires in the rain at 30-35 mph! Great exterior design too IMO, nice low, long, lean, sleek design. A better drivetrain than the Eldorados IMO, RWD, loads of aftermarket, good gas mileage with that V8, luxury appointments, nice dual level dashboard.

The only drawbacks I see are the headlights on the Gen I non LSC's, the air suspension (easy, cheap fix though), and the HVAC blend doors on the gen 2's, mostly the '98s though. Also, since I live in MN, it's not the best winter car, but it's heavy enough (3800 lbs) and I can just throw in a couple of sandbags in the trunk to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I didn't personally move this discussion but you're right - our system is a little quirky.. We should probably just have an "Other Automobiles" section rather than a "Cadillac Versus" section..
    Thanks for backing me up Lord. Way back in the Cadillac Mailing List (CML) days if you said anything bad about the moderating they'd shut you down!

I like the pace of the Cadillac lounge. Similar Corvette board moves too fast and the Impala SS/Roadmaster is too slow!!

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    but the best looking ones are the 97-98s witches only about 45,000 were made over the two years.

__________________________________________________ _____________
    MY LACS
    Actually their are only 126,000 Mark VIIIs in the world. 97-98 are ONLY 26,000. So Yea they will be hard to get. I looked at about 11 Mark VIIIs in a period of one year to find a good one. I was only going for Gen II.

I am in Toronto and the for sale listings here are slim for these cars. Despite having 1/10th the population of the US, sometimes we get a lower share on some models. Example instead of having 10% of corvettes produced we have maybe 5% or less. So that must be why I can't find many low-mileage listings.

Did a quick check on autotrader.com in NY, PA, and OH and you folks are right. They are readily available and CHEAP!

Seems like the message on this thread is that they are good cars so low price must be simply low demand. I was thinking maybe they were money pits and people were junking them.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

There were a lot of Mark VIIs made, and many are still around relative to similar year Eldos and other cars. Fewer Mark VIIIs were made to begin with. I'd say they're like any used car, you'll find a few POS cars, a few nice ones, and a lot in between.

BTW I paid $315 for my air -> coil conversion (5hr labor, I bought the car with a bad air ride,) $150 on an alternator (20 min labor,) and that's it over the 10 months I've owned it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.