What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just sold my 98 Mark 8 LSC in Dec. Had the new esv coming and I couldn't stand the ...
    sj1400 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

Re: What's wrong with Lincoln Mark VIIs and VIIIs?

I just sold my 98 Mark 8 LSC in Dec. Had the new esv coming and I couldn't stand the thought of leaving the LSC outside or driving it in the snow and salt. They pound the roads with salt here.

Back to the topic.

I owned 2 98 LSC's. The biggest flaw I found comes from vibrations at 80+ mph. If you look in the rear view mirror it's blurry to a certain extent. The cause is Fords decision to use a 2 piece driveshaft. A lot of owners that own gen 2's replaced the drive shaft with the metal matrix unit. Costs about $400 but worth every penny to have a vibration free car - this only affects 97-98 models.

When you buy these cars make sure the blend door isn't broken otherwise you won't have heat. A $25 part that may cost up to $600 to replace at a dealer - dash comes out. The rear neon tail lights have been known to go out - most replace the balast. THis light is $600 at the dealer and hard to find.

Use quality front rotors otherwise they warp easily.

THese are great cars if they have been maintained properly. ALthough I have a new car I miss mine already. Good cars as long as the previous owner kept up on the maint.

mharker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan Deville; 92 Corvette; 06 Town Car; 09 Sienna

So... what would be less trouble to maintain as a collector vehicle? Say a 60,000 mile Mark VII or a 60,000 mile Mark VIII.

I am more nostalgic for Mark VIIs, but Mark VIIIs are pretty awesome too. And they represent the last american rwd coupes so maybe some collector value there.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

A 96 Mark VIII LSC would be ideal for long term ownership. A lot of the 93-96 flaws were worked out, and none of the new flaws for 97-98.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by mharker View Post
    So... what would be less trouble to maintain as a collector vehicle? Say a 60,000 mile Mark VII or a 60,000 mile Mark VIII.

I am more nostalgic for Mark VIIs, but Mark VIIIs are pretty awesome too. And they represent the last american rwd coupes so maybe some collector value there.
    Either one would be just fine. Both have built proof engines and as far as I know both have bullet proof tranny's as well. I never really heard of any issues with the tranny's but that doesn't mean that there could be issues. it mostly comes down to if the owner of the car before you kept up with doing maintenance or not

1-2 accumulator in 93-94(?) needs to be updated with a new one to keep it from burning out at higher miles. One cheap part, and fresh Mercon fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    1-2 accumulator in 93-94(?) needs to be updated with a new one to keep it from burning out at higher miles. One cheap part, and fresh Mercon fluid.
    And for the 1st gen's it is a really good idea to replace the tranny fluid pan with that pan from a 2nd gen.

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

1-2 accumulator is for the 93-97 Mark VIIIs, so the best one would be the 98 if you don't wanna do it

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
    The biggest flaw I found comes from vibrations at 80+ mph. If you look in the rear view mirror it's blurry to a certain extent. The cause is Fords decision to use a 2 piece driveshaft. A lot of owners that own gen 2's replaced the drive shaft with the metal matrix unit. Costs about $400 but worth every penny to have a vibration free car - this only affects 97-98 models.
    The 2 piece driveshaft is in all 94-98s, 93s had a 1 piece shaft that is less prone to vibration. The metal matrix shaft will fit all model years.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
    I just sold my 98 Mark 8 LSC in Dec. Had the new esv coming and I couldn't stand the thought of leaving the LSC outside or driving it in the snow and salt. They pound the roads with salt here.

Back to the topic.

I owned 2 98 LSC's. The biggest flaw I found comes from vibrations at 80+ mph. If you look in the rear view mirror it's blurry to a certain extent. The cause is Fords decision to use a 2 piece driveshaft. A lot of owners that own gen 2's replaced the drive shaft with the metal matrix unit. Costs about $400 but worth every penny to have a vibration free car - this only affects 97-98 models.

When you buy these cars make sure the blend door isn't broken otherwise you won't have heat. A $25 part that may cost up to $600 to replace at a dealer - dash comes out. The rear neon tail lights have been known to go out - most replace the balast. THis light is $600 at the dealer and hard to find.

Use quality front rotors otherwise they warp easily.

THese are great cars if they have been maintained properly. ALthough I have a new car I miss mine already. Good cars as long as the previous owner kept up on the maint.
    Those issues you mentioned are pretty much all of the issues I've read about on these cars, you summed it up very well. My biggest concern on the VIII is the blend door, when it goes, you have no heat or A/C and it's expensive to fix, and mandatory. It seems as though the Gen I's have less problems, but, except for the LSC, they've got horrible headlights. Between the Gen II's, it seems to me, from the owner reviews I've read, that the 97 is less problematic, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    A 96 Mark VIII LSC would be ideal for long term ownership. A lot of the 93-96 flaws were worked out, and none of the new flaws for 97-98.
    The 95-96 LSC is the Mark VIII I aspire to own, the only negative to those is the lack of heated seats as an option, because that option wasn't introduced until 1997. I like the Gen I's exterior design more, it looks lower, leaner, longer, the Gen II looks kinda bloated IMO.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I'm curently on the look-out for a Mark VII or VIII as I do like the look and think they are great cars but I'm also haveing a hard time finding them in good condition. The VIIs is really difficult to fine.

I've noticed that too, looking on ebay and on other various sites, the Eldorados always look like they've had better care taken of them.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I've noticed that too, looking on ebay and on other various sites, the Eldorados always look like they've had better care taken of them.
    I think it's because of the resale value of those two cars. I see more Mark VIII's being ghetto cruisers since you can pick them up for cheap so all the brotha's buy them to look cool and in the mean time keep shit care of them. I see Mark VIII's all the time around where I work (in the middle of ghetto ass Trenton, NJ) with the air bag's blown on them and the people still riding them around with their 20" rims on there.

I guess it's kinda hard for me to imagine the VIII as a ghetto cruiser because most ghetto cruisers, to me, are big sedans, not smaller, sportier coupes.

Sadly, a lot of Lincolns and Infinitis end up abused. The lower resale means cheapskates (like me ) can pick them up for cheap. Such cheapskates can't afford a full maintenance schedule.

mharker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan Deville; 92 Corvette; 06 Town Car; 09 Sienna

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    I think it's because of the resale value of those two cars. I see more Mark VIII's being ghetto cruisers since you can pick them up for cheap so all the brotha's buy them to look cool and in the mean time keep shit care of them. I see Mark VIII's all the time around where I work (in the middle of ghetto ass Trenton, NJ) with the air bag's blown on them and the people still riding them around with their 20" rims on there.
    HAHAHAHAHA. Being up here in ghetto-free Canada I never thought of that. You're hilarious.

Thanks for all your contributions guys. So I think the Marks are back on my dream list of 70s-90s American luxury cars, which I will someday buy and store, and then my kids will sell for a fortune in Scottsdale 50 years from now! FYI I'm keeping my eyes open for a clean 90-92 5.7 Brougham, mid-80s Buick Regal V8, 71-73 Riv, and Lincoln Mark VII/VIII.

Buy low sell high! Or just dream in technicolor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.