CTS 3.6 v Lexus IS350
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS 3.6 v Lexus IS350 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; As some of you know that i left the cadillac community few weeks ago to buy a lexus well currently ...
    Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

CTS 3.6 v Lexus IS350

As some of you know that i left the cadillac community few weeks ago to buy a lexus well currently i'm waiting for 07 with x-package to arrive (it takes 4 months to get one)

Anyways here is my comparison of the two

04 CTS 3.6 base
    06 IS350 Sports pacakge

Engine/Performance
    Lexus has done a fine job with this new engine. It revs freely and speed gets up there much quicker. 6 speed automatic is the only available transmission. It's silky smooth in automatic mode but in manual mode it's very jerky on downshift and slow in upshifts

CTS is no slouch but comparing the two there is a bit of gap between the two. I've yet to try the newer cts with manual mode but the automatic mode is very similar in shift quality and readiness

Interior
    Now everyone praises lexus for having one of the best interior but that wasn't the case with the sports package. Their wood trim is very luxurious (in non-sports package vehicle) but the painted silver trims didn't seem durable and it made the interior seem somewhat cheap.

However, my disappointment with the interior went away instantly when I started playing with the electronic goodies inside the car. You have front and rear park assist, as well rear camera assist. This car was also equipped with Mark Levinson audio system which incorporates in dash dvd changer as well as surround sound. MP3 capability is standard even in the non-ML system. Sound quality was one of the best stock system i've heard in my life. Bluetooth integration and heated/cooled seats for driver and passenger was also a nice bonus.

Interior space definitely goes to CTS without any hestination. There is literally no room in the back seats. Front headroom wasn't adequate for me (another reason why i'm waiting for the x-package). Maybe because i sit in a more upright posistion or the fact that i'm 6'2", my hairs were rubbing against the ceiling of the car as i was driving around.

Suspension
    For some odd reason, IS was very jerky around town. Maybe if i had a sports package cts, mine would be jerky too. Also the IS feels quite heavy in the corner and didn't inspire much confidence even with the sports package. In this regards i prefer the much loved cts (my car has v sways).

I initially started out looking at cts-v but realizing that most dealerships aren't that interested in taking my money, i decided to look elsewhere. This is the main reason why i left the cadillac all together.
    I still have some time to change my mind (until i actually take delivery) and the new g35(new engine is supposedly near bullet proof) is going to be available at dealerships for test drives and i'm getting very excited. Maybe the new CTS will be introduced soon enough with enough fire power for me to come back to cadillac.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Re: CTS 3.6 v Lexus IS350

I agree with practically everything youre saying. I had thought about the Lexus (it wasnt out yet when I bought my CTS, but all the info was) and there were no plans for a manual then and they still don't have one. What kind of sport sedan doesn't have an optional manual?

The new CTS is just as jerky in manual mode, and upshifts take about a second. You shift af 5k rpm to get it to shift at 6k, etc. But the shifts are tight when youre on the throttle and softer the more you are off it.

The Lexus interior is still a cut above in quality and finish, tho I don't like the design. The Mark Levinson is arguably the best stock system. The Mark Levinson in the LS is better and the Linn system in the big Aston Marton is incredible. But for the price of the Levinson, you can put together a better system on your own, it just won't be as acoustically tuned as the Levinson.
    The engine in the IS is nice tho, hey? Silky smooth, and powerful. And the exterior is executes its design theme really well.

But personnally, Id still buy the last (present gen i guess) G35. It was my other choice with the CTS and it still woould be. Great handling car, nice all around package, ust like the CTS AND a 6 spd manual.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Both are excellent cars and good value for money, but one is gay.

enash99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Both cars are nice but the IS350 is far superior to the CTS.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

^^ What?

The IS looked like a old Civic in the back. Never liked those things...so ricer-ish.

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    Both cars are nice but the IS350 is far superior to the CTS.
    Lol, in what way? Fit and finish? Yea, Ill give the IS that. Power? Yea, thats obvious. But until the IS350 offers a 6 spd manual, or the auto responds like a good manumatic ie F360/F430, then it cant be considered a good sport sedan. It's still a horrible bang-for-buck car anyhow. If ya want a good asian sport sedan in that category, get a G35. 300+ hp now, with great steering feel, tight suspension, AND a manual.

^^ The automatic does really hold back the IS. Engine is great though @ 306 hp in 3.5 liters.

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Traded my 2004 CTS Sport for an IS350 about 10 months ago. The IS has Navigation and I opted for the Luxury Package w/18's. So far the Lexus has been bulletproof in reliability, much unlike my former CTS which had logged over 4 dealer trips at this point.

The downside to the Lexus is you don't get that same connected to the road feel as I experienced with the CTS. The IS350 averages around 22 mpg driving the same roads to work that my CTS got 18 on.

Another important point for me is resale value, Infiniti for example ranks fourth on the ALS guide compared to the number one IS. BMW no longer can claim best resale in the near luxury class despite the 3 series superior driving dynamics.

I took a horrible beating on the resale value of my 04 CTS, the resale value had dropped by over 51% after only 2 years and 30,000 miles. Cadillac residual values rank below the industry average.
    https://www.alg.com/awards.aspx

^^ Interesting info in that link...

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Both are excellent cars and good value for money, but one is gay.

HAHAH - POINTS

No firm numbers yet but I might consider trading my IS350 for this...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=118182

^^ There is a Lexus "F" thread in the lounge...I don't like it. it sounds good on paper, $50K, 5.0 V8 with 425 hp, but from the styling I have seen a V or even a SRT-8 is more for me. The paddle shifter is nice though, especially if it comes on the 8 speed trans.

Quote Originally Posted by dp102288 View Post
    ^^ There is a Lexus "F" thread in the lounge...I don't like it. it sounds good on paper, $50K, 5.0 V8 with 425 hp, but from the styling I have seen a V or even a SRT-8 is more for me. The paddle shifter is nice though, especially if it comes on the 8 speed trans.
    I am skeptical about how Lexus will execute the steering component of their new "F". No doubt the luxury component will be there as well as bulletproof reliability but they seem to miss the "Sport" part of the equation will all their previous offerings.

While I like the "V" styling and seriously considered purchasing, my horror story with Cadillac dealerships and the frequent mechanical failures of my 3.6L CTS kept me away. A coworker owns a SRT-8, and I like the aggressive styling but I try to keep my sport cars under 2 tons in weight. My niece drives a Dodge Charger and she loves it, only minor issue with Sirius so far on her Charger.

I took my IS350 in for the 10,000 mile routine maintenance and struck a conversation with my tech whose previous employer for 10 years was a local Cadillac dealership. He says that the problem with Cadillac is not that the dealer doesn't want to fix customer problems but GM will not let them.

Quote Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
    He says that the problem with Cadillac is not that the dealer doesn't want to fix customer problems but GM will not let them.
    ^^ Why? Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by dp102288 View Post
    ^^ Why? Interesting...
    I have no clue why they refuse to fix customer problems. I know from personal experience when my CTS rear diff started making noises like a 5 ton truck the local dealer referred the repair authorization to a GM Zone rep. The GM zone rep declined the repair...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.