versus Lincoln MKS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, versus Lincoln MKS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Caddy Man Are you serious???? Have you sat in the new 5 series from BMW??? THAT interior ...
    Wiseguy2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS and a bunch of BMWs

Re: versus Lincoln MKS

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Man View Post
    Are you serious???? Have you sat in the new 5 series from BMW??? THAT interior is a joke. Its all plastic...I was disgusted sitting in that car, I'll take the STS interior any day.
    Dead serious. The textures of the plastics have a MUCH nicer feel to them, the door panel plastic on the STS looks like it was made by Tupperware.

The actual fit of the STS is not up to BMW standards, the shifter knob on my STS is loose, as it is in other STSs that I have been in. The shifter knob in my 10 year old 97 740iL is not loose. I see mold lines in plastic pieces all over my Caddy, none in my BMWs.

The wood trim does not sit flush with other parts of the dash. The controls feel loose and flimsy when compared to the BMW. I think that I-Drive is a diabolical invention, but the I-Drive controller feels like it's made from a single piece of aluminum and acts like it's on ball bearings.

I still love my STS, but it still has a cheap looking interior.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The latest 5-series and STS aren't exactly world standards for interior quality. It'll be a generation or two until BMW and Cadillac catch up to Audi in that regard, if ever.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    The latest 5-series and STS aren't exactly world standards for interior quality. It'll be a generation or two until BMW and Cadillac catch up to Audi in that regard, if ever.
    alright wiseguy, I see where you are coming from...

and Jesda, I agree! My freind recently got a brand new Audi A4 and the interior is LIGHTYEARS ahead of my CTS. Everything feels so solid and high quality, in an entry level car. I IMMEDIATLY saw the shortcomings in my ''american'' interior the minute I sat and drove her car. My interior just seemed cheap and hallow.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350 View Post
    Because if people want to buy an Altima, they can go to a Nissan dealership and pay alot less. This is just giving in, going the easy route. Anyone can do the cheap and easy imitation job, that's why so many cars look exactly the same these days. Copying and imitating are a Japanese thing to do, why does Lincoln have to?
    Well if I was in the market for this particular style car this one will be it. As far as getting one for cheaper I wouldn't settle for the altima/maximam. Today manufactuer have a thin line between $$$ and tradition. In most cases if they feel this will bring the $$$ in, tradition will get thrown out the window in alot of cases. I agree that tradition and original ideas should remain with such companies as Cadillac & Lincoln.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by ALBUNDY View Post
    Well if I was in the market for this particular style car this one will be it. As far as getting one for cheaper I wouldn't settle for the altima/maximam. Today manufactuer have a thin line between $$$ and tradition. In most cases if they feel this will bring the $$$ in, tradition will get thrown out the window in alot of cases. I agree that tradition and original ideas should remain with such companies as Cadillac & Lincoln.
    I would agree but seeing how tradition was taking Lincoln and Cadillac to bankruptcy they needed to step outside the box and look how it helped Cadillac. Lincoln isn't anywhere near as far along in this transition as Cadillac is but I would think that these are the first steps for Lincoln to rebuild their image. They dumped or are dumping soon the Town Car, there's no more Continental, there's no more Mark's except for the Mark LT and every car that is coming out for Lincoln is totally new. So it should be interesting to see as to how this big change for Lincoln will be better or not for sales

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I definitely agree with you on a lot of that, Wiseguy2. While I do like the STS inside and out, its interior is, I agree, inferior to is competition, including Lincoln.

However, whats hurting the STS most is exterior design. The cheaply appointed CTS, with its strong character and bold design, is still a hot seller.
    Totally agree with what you and Wiseguy said. As is the problem with most brands today...when certain products fail, its generally because of impression, and not on actual merit.

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    How are they chessy? Do they do their job? yes. Are they different? Yes. They're better then what is currently on the Navigator
    Gotta agree with you on this. Those guages may not be everyones cup of tea, but they are clean and well executed. LEts not forget what people thought about the CTS in 2002 when it first appeared. Lots of analysts thought this was the end of cadillac. Cheesy is just an opinion. I also like this retro new look.

We gotta remember too, tho, that there are 2 entirely different parts to a well executed interior. Quality and design. You can have a good design like the new cadillacs (say what you want, I like the layout of the CTS), good quality like a new bmw...or you can have both like Audi. I think American manufacturers deserve a pat o the back for the new interior designs. Can you guys honestly say you wouldnt like to look at those square guages, enough not to buy the rig? Where the American companies still fall short, is just like Wiseguy said, quality. Even the newest Explorer has gaps in the dash panels that you could fit rosie o donnell and her ape lover through.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

The yamaha V8 was cancelled according to MT magazine. Too pricey. Poor Ford, they're on the way down............fast. I'm not gloating. This is bad for every American. Well maybe we can be a parts supplier to the Asian car companies.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    The yamaha V8 was cancelled according to MT magazine. Too pricey. Poor Ford, they're on the way down............fast. I'm not gloating. This is bad for every American. Well maybe we can be a parts supplier to the Asian car companies.
    How are they going down? Have you not been paying attention to SEMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    How are they going down? Have you not been paying attention to SEMA?
    1) Stock in a downward spiral.
    2) Losses in the billions of dollars.
    3) Can't shed union workers as quickly as GM already has.
    4) Looking to sell Jaguar, Aston and rumors of Volvo too.
    5) Clay Ford stepping down as CEO.
    6) Ann Stevens EVP and COO quit.
    7) Dave Szczupak head of American Manufacturing quit.
    8) Alan Mulally = another CEO in the revolving door, this one with no Auto experience.
    9) V8 MKS cancelled.
    10) Sport Trac Adrenaline cancelled.
    11) SVT cancelled / shut down.
    12) Ford 500 flop.
    13) Ford GT debacle with all of the $150,000 cars being recalled.
    14) Volvo Sales down.
    15) 14 plants closed and 30,000 workers laid off including the Norfolk truck plant closing - reduced demand for F-150's.
    16) 75,000 workers offered buyouts

I must have missed the SEMA news. What, pray tell did Ford do at SEMA that will rescue the company?

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    1) Stock in a downward spiral.
    2) Losses in the billions of dollars.
    Same as GM

4) Looking to sell Jaguar, Aston and rumors of Volvo too.
    Jaguar yes, Aston Martin and Volvo no

5) Clay Ford stepping down as CEO.
    6) Ann Stevens EVP and COO quit.
    7) Dave Szczupak head of American Manufacturing quit.
    8) Alan Mulally = another CEO in the revolving door, this one with no Auto experience.
    If Ford wasn't doing that well before then why wouldn't cleaning house and bringing in new people not be a good thing?

9) V8 MKS cancelled.
    10) Sport Trac Adrenaline cancelled.
    The V8 MKS isn't that big of a deal because the new 3.5 V6 can be turbo'd with ease so I'm not going to lose to much sleep over that and the Sport Trac Adrenline has been cancelled for damn near a half year or so now

11) SVT cancelled / shut down.
    SVT is shut down as much as SRT is shut down

12) Ford 500 flop.
    Its getting a facelift and within the next few years the new Mustang drivetrain will make way for a new sedan possibly the return of the Fairlane or Falcon (can't remember off the top of my head)

13) Ford GT debacle with all of the $150,000 cars being recalled.
    There was one recall and it was for the front control arm. Ford sent mechanic's too the owner's homes and replaced the part free of charge. I fail to see how that would be considered a bad thing since only 283 units were affected.

14) Volvo Sales down.
    Damn near all domestic car sales are down. Here's the auto sales as of september
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2006-big.html

BTW when you look at the link scroll down to the top 5 brands and the 20 best selling vehicles. Ford leads both catagories. So Ford is doing fine its just for whatever reason not that good of a year for the auto industry

15) 14 plants closed and 30,000 workers laid off including the Norfolk truck plant closing - reduced demand for F-150's.
    Once again all domestic sales are down but the F series is still the best selling truck in the US and has nowhere near the drop off that the Chevy F series or Dodge Ram have. From this time last year sales for the Ford have gone down by 77905 units while Chevy has gone down 97778 units and the Ram has gone down 43597. Now the Ram hasn't lost as many units as the other two but by looking at their market share they have gone down more so then the other two.

16) 75,000 workers offered buyouts
    Desperate times call for desperate measures

I must have missed the SEMA news. What, pray tell did Ford do at SEMA that will rescue the company?
    Well you have missed quite a lot. Ford is driving home the performance possibilities of the Mustang especially the GT500 and they are also going back to N/A engines instead of F/I. Here's some of the stuff from SEMA

[QUOTE]2007 Shelby GT500, Paul's High Performance Draggin' Snake

Here's some more
    2007 Shelby GT500 Road and Track
    AUTOBLOG.COM | Posted Oct 31st 2006 4:32PM by John Neff

click on image to enlarge

The Mustang is currently Ford's hottest hand, and at this year's SEMA show the Blue Oval is laying its cards on the table. Front and center in the place of honor within Ford's display are three GT500s, each tuned and tweaked for various activities: a drag racer, hybrid racer/daily driver and full blown racer. The most brash by far was the Shelby GT500 Professional Road Racer, which looked like it just drove out of a video game where such machines can be driven without the fear of injury or death. It features Ford Racing's 5.0-liter Cammer engine producing "more" than the stock GT500's 500 horsepower. The car includes a 6-speed sequential race transmission, and 6-piston (front) and 4-piston (rear) calipers clamp on 2-piece rotors all around. Meanwhile, the suspension's damping can be adjusted three ways to suit track conditions. And how about that GT-spec rear wing that looks right at home on the GT500's short rear deck? Unfortunately, the GT500 Professional Road Racer is just a concept study, though we hope the Blue Oval has the brass to take it out on the track soon to see what it can do.

Check out the Shelby GT500 Draggin' Snake from Paul's High Performance and the Shelby GT500 Road and Track after the jump.

And some more

PHOTO GALLERY (click on any image to enlarge):

2007 Shelby GT500 Professional Road Racer

And finally the return of the Boss 302

autoblog auto news | Posted Oct 31st 2006 7:54AM by Damon Lavrinc

Both images are available in hi res, by clicking.

For the past few years, one engine has garnered more attention than any other: Chrysler's Hemi. Between garish badging and a sublimely ridiculous TV advertising campaign, 'Hemi' has become synonymous with large displacement, American power. Ford wants a piece of that branding action too and has re-introduced the Boss 302 V8.

Originally called the Hurricane, the newly developed V8 underwent a name change to distance itself from a certain disaster off the Gulf Coast. The project was originally shelved in 2005, but Mark Fields decided that the development costs were necessary to compete in a market rife with clever branding strategies.

The 5-liter V8 will make anywhere between 340 and 500 HP, with the base block costing about $1,800 and a fully built unit running between $5k and $10k.

Although the engine is only available in crate form now, the new Boss will find a home under the hood of the 2008 F150, the Shelby GT, a 40th anniversary version of the pony car in 2009, the Boss Mustang, due the same year, and a few other special edition vehicles over the next three years.

More information and live pics are on their way. As always, stay tuned.

[Source: Ford, BlueOvalNews and the Detroit News]

A few fancy Mustangs will not fix Ford's financial problems. GM's stock is not down. I bought at $24, just prior to Kerkorian announcement and rode it up to $35. Ford's stock is going the other way. GM made bold moves quickly with regard to it's union workers, car designs and shed loads of debt and underperforming assets. Ford has yet to accomplish any of this. Hopefully this new blood from outside the company (boeing) can put Ford's financial house in order. If not, Aston and Jaguar will only be the first casualties, with Mercury and Volvo close behind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.