2007 Lexus LS 460 - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 2007 Lexus LS 460 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just don't see the need for 8 gears. Does anyone know the ratios for this tranny yet? I mean, ...
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: 2007 Lexus LS 460

I just don't see the need for 8 gears. Does anyone know the ratios for this tranny yet? I mean, if there's a .3 difference between every gear, what's the point?

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde View Post
    My mother had a similar experience. She ordered online a new IS350. But she traded in her e500 (due to electrical problems) about 2 weeks before the IS arrived. So they gave her a GS300 for free for 2 weeks plus let her test drive a couple of the new models! And when the IS finally arrived, they gave her a giftbasket, and the owner personally came and shook her hand. Had her come to his office, gave her this nice gift basket, it was really special treatment! When I bought my cadillac, I didnt even get window cleaner. I ordered it, it arrived, someone called 4 days after it showed up, and the salesman hurried me out of his office because he had customers!

If Lexuss had offered a stick in the IS350, I might be driving one now.
    My grandpop had a similar experience. He had a RX300 for my grandmom then he got her the RX330 then he ordered his GS430 and they had in come in after hours with a few others people who were there to pick up their cars and they had wine and cheeses with the owner of the dealership then they walked them into their garage area and they had everyone's cars sitting there waiting for them and the owner personally handed the keys over to each owner and then they all left. Now that's customer service!

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

^^ Wow. That's is a great way to treat customers. And I thought free coffee was a good thing...

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by dp102288 View Post
    ^^ Yeah I remember Danbuc saying the M-Bs are having that problem. Factory fix is to run it in low gear for a few hours.

I would like to feel how they geared the trans and how well it shifts. Then I would like to see rpm in top gear at ~80 mph.
    Thats crazy! Theres always a downside to overkill

Honestly tho, Id love to drive it, dp1022....IT would be nice to know what it got at 80 mph, and how much gears it downshifted when you floored it.

My biggest concern with it being lighter would be, is it still strong enough? But then again, how often is an LS430 going to use all its power?

^^ Good point on the last line...I never saw any Lexus (beside that fugly IS3xx) going faster than 60 mph. Seems like a waste for all that.

About "it" being lighter, you mean the car in general, or the trans?

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    This new Lexus flagship will feature a 4.6-liter V8 engine with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

More...
    I checked one of these out while getting my IS350's 10,000 mile service. Very nice ride. Lexus service is second to none and any minor problem is addressed immediately.

Do you still have your RX?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Yes, we still have the RX300. I think my wife is going to drive it until it hits 100,000 miles and the warranty is through.. If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Yes, we still have the RX300. I think my wife is going to drive it until it hits 100,000 miles and the warranty is through.. If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...
    Have you taken an LS 460 for a test drive? I know its not a sports sedan but I am curious how it handles.

If I'm not mistaken, Slywun's wife has an RX300 with 250,000 miles on it and it still runs perfect...
    Wow. That is pretty damn good. My uncle had an RX300. He really liked that car. Since he got rid of it, he told me he wished he could of kept it because of the good handling & ride, and the almost non-existant maintence costs.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Lexus reminds me of Saturn. Despite mediocre, dull products, top-notch customer service keeps them going. Dealer service is a major spot where GM needs to really make Cadillac and Buick more competitive.

^^ Saturn service is good? I don't know anyone with a Saturn so I am not being sarcastic.

I can vouch for Lexus dealerships being great...that's where we got my Eldo from! Nice, comfy, waiting rooms (tv, couches, magazines, newspapers). Yummy coffee and cakes. An activity room for kids, even the counter girl was a draw...

The Cadillac dealership near me is very bland. No real waiting room, no entertainment, no one to really "greet" you. I actually don't like going to that place.

faster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 fleetwood, 04 Deville

Brasington Cadillac here in G'ville has never failed to do its best for me or my dad as long as you ask them to (we have purchased 3 Cadillacs from them). I agree dealerships today including Brasington do not appear very customer oriented and will not go out of their way for you unless you ask (big mistake).

There is no reason to have eight gear choices in a vehicle that tows anything less than 20K lbs. I would not tolerate the annoyance of the inscesant shifting and transmission hunting for gears and I won't believe you don't feel it. Transmission programming in today's cars is attrocious, they are constantly hunting and you have to wait for them to decide what they want to do before the car responds. I would rather drive my antique 67 Sedan Deville or 72 Buick GS than any of my newer cars. I have owned Lincoln Town cars and Buick Park Avenues and now drive a 95 Flwd and 04 Deville. The 67 and 72 produce much smoother and superior pulling power from high gear roll ons in traffic. My GS will pull all but extremely few cars on the road today (easy high 12's and the Caddy ran 16.0). Those old cars are in high gear between 15-20 MPH and just pull effortlessly. Cars today do not produce real torque anymore especially below 3000+ RPM, hence the need for the trans hunting and the fuel mileage of those boats in traffic is not that much worse than todays full size cars considering what those things weigh, the volume of air they move through the those big blocks and throw in the non-lock up converters. I am seriously considering selling off the newer vehicles and driving my old cars just for the fun and look at me factors. Plus my wife never got stuck somewhere because the fault key safety left her stranded in a parking lot all alone one day. The electric power windows or seats or trunk opener or vacuum locks have not failed on that 30 year old car yet. I will however concede the superior "mechanical" drivetrain reliability and longevity of todays vehicles easily going 200K miles with just minimum maintenence. The safety features are a necessity, antilocks and air bags save lives. I will also concede todays cars handle much better but how many people are really capable of driving cars to those limits anyway? Very few, most seriouly overreact resulting in rollovers and going into oncoming traffic. The older cars were more forgiving to driver error. Get on any super highway and watch how many are driving 80+ MPH. They are lulled into feeling in control but are actually way over their head in the event of an emergency driving situation.

Personally, I have been racing for 30+ years and don't need or like anti locks. I'd still rather drive the old iron, I am really showing my age here aren't I?

Mikey

^^ You make a compelling arguement in favor of older cars, while still pointing out there flaws compared to modern cars. Great post!

Anyone see the latest issue of Car and Driver? Their judging criteria, as usual, were pretty screwy, but the data was unmistakable. The LS460, despite its 8-speed transmission and new 4.6L V8, was the slowest, worst-handling car of the bunch (S-class, 7-series, XJ, A8) and had the smallest trunk. It wasn't the cheapest, either, nor the most stylish.

The written review praised the LS for one thing: Rear passenger comfort and convenience.

I suppose, then, that Lexus has relegated its top-shelf sedan to being a top-end taxi -- a limousine for folks who can't afford a Rolls Royce. I'll post the data when I get a chance.

At least the Fleetwood Brougham had beauty, power, and grace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.