Fleetwood Broughams vs Town Cars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Fleetwood Broughams vs Town Cars in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ANybody own both? My parents have a 95 Town Car with 140k miles... decent car... runs good. Developed a rusted ...
    1990CaddyBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB

Fleetwood Broughams vs Town Cars

ANybody own both?

My parents have a 95 Town Car with 140k miles... decent car... runs good. Developed a rusted oil pan and leaks oil. We patched it up with quick steel but idk how long it will last.
    I use to own a town car, 96, still have it actually. cant sell the ****ing car. 71k miles.

When it comess time for a new car. (new used car that is) Id love so see him get a Cadillac... My mom wants to down size and she drive the car 90% of the time (but if my dad is buying it she isnt downsizing. It will be antoher town car or something similar.

Never had the 5,7 liter fleetwood so looking for some idk.... pointers. sugestions. ANybody have a town car and 5.7 brougham. (as much as id wet my pants for him to get a 90-92 like me... it would proabbly be a 96 (just to get the newest year) The cadillac looks more boatish and bigger then the town car.. so it might be hard to get her to look at one.. but if one just "shows up" she will drive it. I can talk my dad into any big car if i say its good... so it should be intresting. And 5000 or less... so a 96 ish caddy would fit the picture.

These come with heated seat right? (working) headted seats would def sell him. Cloth woould too... Ive seen cloth before. Cloth or heated... is a def selling point. Moonroof... too. Though the top isnt a good thing... did any broughams come without the vinyl roof?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Fleetwood Broughams vs Town Cars

Oh man, this is one of my favorite topics. I have posted this question before and I will tell you what I have learned.

The Town Cars ride smoother due to the air spring rear suspension, but when that goes (and it will) it's quite expensive to replace with the airsprings, but if you choose to throw the typical springs off of a Crown Vic or GM, it's a lot cheaper and rides about as good. The Town Car, to me anyways, is the more luxurious of the two, with softer seats, better materials and build quality, and more modern luxury features. But the Town Car is much more common, and it doesn't have that cool factor that the Fleetwood Brougham has. Plus, that LT1 just plain kicks ass! There's so much aftermarket for those cars. Like another member said on here, it's one of the few luxury cars that can run an 13 second 1/4 mile and handle like a WS6 Trans Am. The Town Car's SOHC 4.6 is a decently powerful motor too, but it doesnt have that massive strength (or kick) of the LT1, plus the 4.6 SOHC is the same thing used in the Mustangs, so that means it has a good amount of aftermarket too, not as much as the LT1 though. Generally, the Town Cars are cheaper to get into, and there are more of them around. There are a few Fleetwoods around, but their quite expensive. (as with all of the last gen GM B&D bodies)

To answer your questions, the Fleetwood Brougham had heated seats standard, the Fleetwood did not. And they were an option in the Town Cars, but standard in the Town Car Cartier Edition. The moonroof is a very rare option on the Fleetwoods, I think it's more common on the TC's, and yes, you could get a Fleetwood Brougham without a vinyl roof, it was an option to take that off on the FWB, but it was an option to have it installed on the Fleetwoods. It's quite rare to find a Fleetwood Brougham w/o the vinyl top. You seem to see less Town Cars with vinyl roofs.

92cadbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Brougham 5.7L

C'mon man....don't post a picture of a town car on a site filled with cadillac brougham fanatics.It's just wrong and does not look right.

**** Ford (exept for the 1987-1993 Mustang 5.0)
    **** Lincoln (exept for the 1969 Continental)

Caddy rules.....

End of story

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

I have owned a 1991 Fleetwood Brougham, a 1993 Town Car Cartier, and now a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham.

The 1996 Fleetwood Brougham wins hands down. Granted, mine has every option including Moonroof, heated seats, and CD changer.. it just is a better car overall.

My Town Car ownership experience was far from good. Electrical gremlins, intake manifold problems, and sagging rear suspension kept me from ever loving that car.

My 1991 Fleetwood Brougham was a true warrior. With 130K on it, it still ran perfect and got great gas mileage for a V8! The styling was very 70ish, but I loved the car and wouldn't mind finding another one as a daily driver.

I say go out and test drive a '94-96 Fleetwood. I would try to stay with a '95 or '96 just because they have the newer style side mirrors. Be expected to pay up to $12K for a nice low mileage example with every option.

This one here is a beauty IMO:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...QQcmdZViewItem

-Elias

for unbiased reviews try carsurvey.org, that site is one of my favorites for buying a new car. It's owner's writing reviews on their cars, try Edmunds.com and consumerguide.com too, those are reviews written by professionals.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

It's funny how quickly I can determine people who are also on lincolntowncar.org

Wolfspring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DHS

I like them both. Right now, besides my DHS, I do own a 1995 T/C Signature Series, and it has been great since I bought it five years ago. For the most part, it is made of extra heavy duty stuff, and I love the interior. The '95 Town Cars did not have the plastic intake manifold. Besides the manifold problem, the '96-'97 Town Cars are also heavy duty vehicles.

That being said, I do not like the generation of Town Cars introduced in 1998, and by now they are way underpowered for todays world. Current Cadillac interiors blow away the current Town Car, and the T/C does not offer enough features that should be standard on a luxury car for 2006.

Going way back now.....to the 1970's Cadillacs and Lincolns I owned. Years ago I had a 1973 and then a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham, and they were so much better in almost every way than the Continental Town Cars of the era it wasn't even funny. The Lincolns of the era used very poor quality materials in everything from the stuff used on the door panels to power window motors. The Fleetwoods used much higher quality materials overall, and showed much better workmanship.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I've never heard anyone say that the Lincoln Town Car had softer seats than the Cadillac Fleetwood.. The Town Car Cartier had the softest seats of the Lincolns and the Fleetwood Brougham had the softest seats of the Cadillacs.. I thought both were equal.. Are you sure you sat in a Fleetwood Brougham? IF the Town Car really does have softer seats, it's bearly noticable.. Seat-softness was a major concern before I purchased my 95 Fleetwood Brougham...

Also.. Softer ride? The ride in both the Town Car and Fleetwood felt exactly the same to me.. I was fanatical about this as well.. I was looking for a car to provide supreme comfort for my passengers.. I really don't remember the Town Car having a softer ride... Again, if it really DOES have a softer ride, it's bearly noticable...

The 95 and 96 Fleetwood, as mentioned above, has much better (bigger) mirrors.. I do believe they cause a bit of windnoise at speed, however.. The 95 and 96 also has "Quiet Cam", which makes the engine quieter - and doors that close quieter as well...

I do prefer the interior of the Town Car. It's much more updated looking than the Fleetwood. But the power of the Fleetwood is hard to ignore... Plus, the Fleetwood is 100 times more unique than the Town Car. I'll see 100 Town Cars here in West Palm Beach, Florida before I see a single Fleetwood...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    I've never heard anyone say that the Lincoln Town Car had softer seats than the Cadillac Fleetwood.. The Town Car Cartier had the softest seats of the Lincolns and the Fleetwood Brougham had the softest seats of the Cadillacs.. I thought both were equal.. Are you sure you sat in a Fleetwood Brougham? IF the Town Car really does have softer seats, it's bearly noticable.. Seat-softness was a major concern before I purchased my 95 Fleetwood Brougham...
    I sat in a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham, 89k miles with the cloth interior. It had very firm seats for a Cadillac, very disappointing I thought, and it was a major turnoff for me. The '96 Town Car Executive Series I almost bought had leather seats that were quite soft, but not the softest I'd ever sat in, the 1994 Signature Series TC had the softest Town Car seats I'd ever sat in. But the softest seats I'd ever experienced were the ones in that '77 Town Car, but those were too soft. They didn't offer any support and you sank down to the very bottom of them, which wasn't cool.

caddypimpin05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ive owend a 89 and a 90 brougham and my father had a town car not a bad car but def not better than the caddy and for the smoother ride i dont think so just cause it has the air supension all around the caddy rides smoother cause its a heavier car and besides like someone already said when they go u are effed the car drops to the ground seat softness is about equal i would say also also i dont kno about the new ones but ikno the old ones you cant touch in the snow they are great tcs are alright also good for being rwd but not like the caddy they are both nice cars but if you want more reliable i would go with the cad lincolns arent the most reliable cars and engine parts are relativley cheap i have the 307 and the 350 and they are both common engines so parts are not bad to find

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by caddypimpin05
    Ive owend a 89 and a 90 brougham and my father had a town car not a bad car but def not better than the caddy and for the smoother ride i dont think so just cause it has the air supension all around the caddy rides smoother cause its a heavier car and besides like someone already said when they go u are effed the car drops to the ground seat softness is about equal i would say also also i dont kno about the new ones but ikno the old ones you cant touch in the snow they are great tcs are alright also good for being rwd but not like the caddy they are both nice cars but if you want more reliable i would go with the cad lincolns arent the most reliable cars and engine parts are relativley cheap i have the 307 and the 350 and they are both common engines so parts are not bad to find
    Holy run on sentence Batman!! But between these two cars they both have the perks. The TC's interior is nicer then the Caddy's, the Caddy has more potential to make it quick, the Caddy is a little too big for my liking, both were used for fleet purposes so you know both last quite well, the Caddy hold's its value better then that of the TC and thats about all I can think of since I never drove a TC so I'm in no position to say which one has a better ride or is quieter while driving.

caddypimpin05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    Holy run on sentence Batman!! But between these two cars they both have the perks. The TC's interior is nicer then the Caddy's, the Caddy has more potential to make it quick, the Caddy is a little too big for my liking, both were used for fleet purposes so you know both last quite well, the Caddy hold's its value better then that of the TC and thats about all I can think of since I never drove a TC so I'm in no position to say which one has a better ride or is quieter while driving.
    I have driven both and honesty the only thing that i find astonishly buetiful on the tc is the seats that depends also if you have the d'elegance for the cad then u have top notch seats and the licolns dont match up 2 it other than that the rest of the car is NOT ugly but I dont think that it looks nicer than the cad thats my personal opinion yea ive heard that from people 2 the size drives them away like i say tho it all comes down to personal taste they are both great looking cars and both good too exception being the air ride on lincolns but other than that it is not a bad buy when we got rid of it it had 180k miles its still ran strong but we got rid of it cause the air ride went on the one side the rear right side was on the ground so the car kinda drove @ an angle but between the two the one that turns most heads is the cad

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by caddypimpin05
    its still ran strong but we got rid of it cause the air ride went on the one side the rear right side was on the ground so the car kinda drove @ an angle
    Then you would have had street cred! "YO!!!! CHECK OUT THAT PIMPIN LOW RIDER LINCOLN!!!" "DAMN SON!!! THAT SHIT'S HOT!!!"

The only two things I can think of are:

1. I've never sat in the cloth seats - so maybe they're not as soft as the leather..

2. It's possible that the seats you sat in were actually from a non-Brougham..

Reason being.. The Cadllac Brougham leather seats are the softest I've ever felt (meaning cushiest) besides, maybe something from the late 70s...

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    I sat in a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham, 89k miles with the cloth interior. It had very firm seats for a Cadillac, very disappointing I thought, and it was a major turnoff for me. The '96 Town Car Executive Series I almost bought had leather seats that were quite soft, but not the softest I'd ever sat in, the 1994 Signature Series TC had the softest Town Car seats I'd ever sat in. But the softest seats I'd ever experienced were the ones in that '77 Town Car, but those were too soft. They didn't offer any support and you sank down to the very bottom of them, which wasn't cool.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Any further comparisons should be fore the 93-96 Cadillac Fleetwood/Brougham and the Lincoln Town Car of the same years...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.