'77-'78 Eldorado Biarritz v. Mark III, IV, V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, '77-'78 Eldorado Biarritz v. Mark III, IV, V in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've been thinking a lot about buying a '70s Cadillac or Lincoln in a few years. I really love the ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

'77-'78 Eldorado Biarritz v. Mark III, IV, V

I've been thinking a lot about buying a '70s Cadillac or Lincoln in a few years. I really love the '77-'78 Eldorado Biarritzes or a '68-'78 Lincoln Continental Mark III, IV or V. Does anyone know how they compare? How does the 425 stack up against the 460? Does the Cadillac have tighter steering than the Lincolns? Is one more reliable or more fuel efficent?

Everyone knows I love the Mark IV's, but if their steering is as vague as that '77 Town Car's, I dunno if I would buy it. Maybe the steering was different for the Mark III's or Mark V's.

I drove a '78 Toronado a couple of years back, and I remember that having firmer steering than the '77 Lincoln, and much better handling. Do the Toros and Eldos have the same steering setup?

Thanks in advance,

Chad

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: '77-'78 Eldorado Biarritz v. Mark III, IV, V

The 425 is OK, the 460 and 500 are on par stock for stock, although I know which motor I'd prefer...

The steering on my 75 is a bit more firm compared to my friend's 76 Town Coupe. But you can still turn the wheel lock to lock at a dead stop using only your pinky. That has little bearing on how an Eldo would steer though.

If it were me I would aim for a 76 or earlier Eldo.

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Searching for the right one..

My Dad has both a '78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom (425, 38K miles ) and '76 Eldorado Convertible (500, 57K miles). The 425 is more powerful IMO. Both get looks everywhere and drive like a dream but nothing like his 1970 Electra 225 Convertible with the 455 (112K miles). Both Cadillacs have nothing in the power department compared to that 455. As far as interior quality goes, the Cadillacs take the cake, especially the '78 with the two tone interior.

As for the Lincolns, I have never driven one so I can't give you a comparo.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    If it were me I would aim for a 76 or earlier Eldo.
    Eh, I wasn't really ever a fan of the 71-76 Eldorados. The 71-72's are ok, but bland inside, 73-74's...uuuuugly!, 75-76 are bland inside and out, and not much more powerful than the 425.

The Biarritz model is the only one I would buy. The Mark III/IV/V is much better to me than the "regular" Eldorados.

Thanks for the info guys!

Oh yeah before I forget, That '78 Toronado Brougham I drove with the 403 about two years ago, Similar power as the 425 Eldo, but a couple hundred pounds lighter. Anyways, the power was pretty good around town, but adequate on the highway. Didn't have a problem spinning the tires from a stop though!

Last night, I was looking thru the '77 Eldorado brochure and the '72 Mark IV brochure I bought on Saturday, and I have to say, from what I have seen in the brochures, I'd rather have the '77 Eldorado Biarritz. Mainly because it has a lot more modern features and from some angles, the exterior styling is better. And the Eldorado has better seats...much better seats. But the 425 doesn't have the aftermarket the 460 does, and it's FWD.

Will the RWD 425 aftermarket parts fit on the FWD 425 for the Eldorado?
    Does the fact that it's FWD hurt the aftermarket performance possibilities?

Just about everything I can think of for a RWD BBCaddy will work with the FWD Eldos. The FWD TH425 transmission is strong enough to take a pretty stout 425 or 500. Ask Terrible One for specifics, I'm sure he knows more about the FWDs than I do since he's doing his 76 with a cammed 500 probably in the 360hp range.

Ah yeah, I should ask Jackson about that. Hes like the god of the '70s Eldorados.

So if you can push a 425 powered '79 deVille to 500hp, you can push (pull?) a '77 Eldorado to 500 hp also?

Were I aiming for 500hp, I would start off with 500ci. Although it should be a really easy swap into a 77-78 Eldo.

That would work too!

What differences were made to the engine compartment to go from a 500 to a 425? Any tranny changes?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.