M, AMG, SRT, V, SVT, SS, S (audi), R (jaguar) - Who's the best - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, M, AMG, SRT, V, SVT, SS, S (audi), R (jaguar) - Who's the best in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; X5 4.6is X5 4.8is. The G series Mercedes looks like a bus. It's not nearly as refined as it could ...
    Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: M, AMG, SRT, V, SVT, SS, S (audi), R (jaguar) - Who's the best

X5 4.6is

X5 4.8is.

The G series Mercedes looks like a bus. It's not nearly as refined as it could be, to the point that it's not worth buying to your typical simple "expensive car buyer" because it's inferior to so many of them. The ML, BMW X6, Lexus GX and LX, and Range Rover* are all quite a bit more civilized. I know that only the G, LX and Range Rover are passable off road.

Don't forget that only about 5 percent of Range Rover drivers actually take them off road. I would think it would be a good deal less than that for this car, even though it is quite capable off road. Take it out of its element (read: put it on road) and it loses its edge.

JCM1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 Deville Concours, 1997 Seville SLS, 1981 Eldorado

Can't do anything off road with the X5 and the current Range Rover has a sketchy off road record. It's the styling of the G that's appealing. Too many SUV's look the same regardless of price. The G stands out from the rest with capabilities that most of the other lack.

Ah but I didn't say that the X5 had much in the way off road capabilities. BMW says its recommended off road use is limited to trails, not rock crawling, mud, sand dunes (though they don't have much trouble at Silver Lake in Michigan). The G's off road abilities in imported form are about that of the Land Rover Discovery II.

Off Road Magazine put the so-called "off road capable" upscale SUVs to the test a while back. The Range Rover (Previous gen) and Jeep Grand Cherokee were the only two that got through everything. The Lexus, Mercedes G500, Durango (previous generation), and Discovery II handled most of it, for the medium class. Some kind of Infiniti, the Ford Explorer, the X5, and I forget the rest formed the light class which they recommended for light use only.

They grouped into three classes, in terms of actual overall capability (regardless of toys and features). There were twenve, but I don't remember all of them. I just remember Grand Cherokee, Discovery II, Range Rover, G500, Lexus, X5, Ford Exploder, Infiniti, Durango, Chevrolet Trailblazer. The vehicle had to be available in a fairly civilized form. They wrote that they specifically did NOT test the Hummer because they could not justify calling it an upscale vehicle. I also remember them stating that for this test the Trailblazer and Envoy were not equivalent, as the Envoy did not have a heavy duty or off road package, and skid plates were not available.

Will scan and post if I find it soon.

Well if they tested the G500 with it's standard street shoes no wonder. I'm surprized they didn't include the H2.

Anyways, back to M vs. AMG, why did BMW never make an M7?

AsAkAs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by JCM1
    Anyways, back to M vs. AMG, why did BMW never make an M7?
    Good question, I'm sure they will at some point, we already have the M6, it's just a few steps away

I hope they do, while I am a Mercedes fan there is nothing wrong with competition, keeps everyone on their toes and more willing to build some very nice road machines. As I said in a previous post, I wish BMW would have made an M7 out of the previous 7-Series, something like a M7 V-12. I like the older 7, the newer one has some querky styling cues and electronics. I think they scared away their more conservative buyer, right into the arms of Mercedes or Lexus. The current 7 would still be an excellent canidate for the M treatment. If BMW did decide to take that route, the S65 AMG would certainly get a run for it's money. But I still think overall, AMG offers a more diverse line up of luxury performance vehicals then M. I think most of the differnece between M and AMG lies in personal taste, driving style and maybe most important, the accual vehical that recieves the performance treatment. The competition is way too close to call one or the other the 'best.'

I saw a very nice example of a black Chrysler 300 SRT-8 today while I was at the Mobil station in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. It did not look stock so I asked the owner a few questions who was only too happy to show off his rather impressive ride. The engine was supercharged, chipped, and had an intake kit. The exhaust had been upgraded and the sway bars beefed up by some 30% according to him. The only thing I didn't like was the 'Lambo' front doors but, to each his own. Either way, a very impressive rig. I have to imagine he has to have around 550 HP with all the upgrades. I would love to see how it would perform against the STS-V, XLR-V, or even the likes of BMW's or Mercedes' performance models.

There was no H2 at the time.

740i Sport + Dinan S3 = M7... More or less at least.

It puts its handling up to 540i levels, plus adds a supercharger. Supercharged BMW 4.4 = 412 HP. There's additional hardware you can add to bump it up to 463 as well, but only if you have the 99+ version (With Double VANOS), the 1996-1998 4.4s can "only" get to 441.

But still no smooth as glass V-12.

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

M for sure, far better than AMG.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Gimme the price of an M6 or SL55/65, and I will have an STS-V that will smoke them all. V all the way.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    While I agree that the Europeans have it over us Americans in high end performance, racing heritage, etc. I would argue that, allowing for price, the argument can be made that you get more for less with the US offerings. Specifically what Cadillac and Chrysler have done with thier V and SRT models. The SRT covers literally all the bases with offerings from $24K (srt-4) up to $90K (srt-10 viper).

I'd rank them like this:

Performance - M
    Class and cache - AMG
    All season ass kicking - S (audi)
    Making up ground quickly - V
    Everyman's supertuner - SRT
    Not living up to the name - SS
    Going, going, gone - SVT (and yes you will be missed)
    Why bother - R (Jaguar)
    I'm sorry this is speed and performance, NOT let's play dress up - Mazdaspeed, TRD (Toyota) and S-Type/A-spec (Acura)
    CVP,
    While I agree on most points (Ive owned most of the car types mentioned - I read that SVT will produce a car and truck (likely the Cobra and Lightning) per year.
    As for the SS label...strictly marketing anymore, no punch, no power.

You nailed the rest!

F

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

New rumors are coming out that SVT will make SVT versions of the Fusion and the Edge.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    New rumors are coming out that SVT will make SVT versions of the Fusion and the Edge.
    Can you honestly be excited about that though?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.