Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  6104696 
#1 · (Edited)
No not a race thread. I've been thinking about getting a new convertible to replace my aging 5.0, so I drove the V to the local Ford dealer to test drive a mustang GT. Some interesting observations, especially since I got right out of the V and into a new GT, and back into the V again. Granted, the CTS-V is $20K more. It feels it.

1) Much has been said about the V interior. The mustang GT premium interior feels noticeably lower budget.

2) Mustang is much more cramped inside (I'm only 5'8"). No big surprise there. But it did feel "sportier" in the mustang.

3) Much less sound insulation in the mustang. As a result, the Mustang feels much sportier from the minute you start it up. It feels more like a race car (till you actually punch it; the V is more powerful and there is no question about it. But puttering around the V feels much more refined, and the mustang feels more visceral).

4) Mustang idles smoothly.

5) Power: first gear in the mustang feels as ballsy as first gear in the V. You'll be pleased to know that there is lots of noticeable drivetrain backlash, but no "parade clunk." Solid flywheel in the mustang. LOTS of wheel hop in the mustang (the one I drove had the 18" wheels; the salesman was not in the car). The hop was as bad as the V the once or twice that I let the V hop on dry pavement. Second gear you really feel the lower power of the mustang. It just doesn't have the wallop of the LS6. But the car felt plenty powerful and plenty fun because the engine noiise and exhaust noise was so much greater.

So now I have typed for a while and I forget the point that I wanted to make. The V feels every bit of $20K more car than the mustang, but the mustang is a completely different driving experience. Different enough where I can justify parking a GT ragtop in the garage alongside the V. Can't really justify a vette since I have 3 kids, all of whom will want to cruise with me.
If I can recall the point I wanted to make, I'll edit this.

over and out

Edit #1: THE SHIFTER. Man that mustang shifter feels like a UUC compared to the V shifter. Short throw and nice tight gates. Maybe too notchy for some, but I like the Mustang shifter a lot....

See less See more
#2 ·
It's funny, but I see a parallel to the early 80's Mustang GT vs Z-28.
I went from Z-28 to GT (and later back again) and came away feeling the Mustang was quicker, even though the Z-28 would beat it every time. That is the main kudo I can give to it: It feels fast, even though isn't, comparatively. Ford managed to give you the visceral thrill with less HP. Conversely, the GM platforms always seemed sedate until you hammer it: I really noticed this dual personality in my Z06 and it continues in the V.

#3 ·
i couldn't get into the retro gauges of the mustang... imo the mustang has a better street apperance, and looks muscular and fast... the v bleands in a little, but for the comforts the v offers its worth the dough... i just think the sang is a lil to retro for my tastes... it is a legit ride though

#5 ·
BowenCT said:
So Doug, you gonna buy one?
Most likely. It's not like a need one. But the 17 year old 5.0 is just not much fun to drive anymore (maybe a little too visceral, yet not very fast by today's standards. Yet Flowmasters, rattles, crappy brakes, and massive road and wind noise give you the false impression of great speed). So if I find one set up the way I want, and the dealer is willing to give me a reasonable price (i.e. $100 over invoice or so), I probably will.....

God bless America.

D

#9 ·
Doug,

Quit screwing around and just chop the top off the Caddy. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.