Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
NO CONTEST....What do yo guys think?????

#27 · (Edited)
Way to go guys. You scared Gary Coleman. :tisk:

#29 ·
Blackout said:
Well what are you looking for in this comparison? Are you talking performance? Ammenities *sp?*? But if your talking performance the GT500 will eat a CTS-V alive. The last gen Cobra is good for mid to upper 12's in stock trim, now you add more hp and tq and your seeing 11's. The GT500 will be the best bang for the buck car out there. And all you need to do then is a pulley swap and hello mid 11's!
best bang for the buck? at $40,000 to $45,000? i'd take a 300 SRT/8 over the Shelby.and just wait till the HEMI Cudas come back,and not to mention Camaro.i'm very sure those two cars will be cheaper,and not to mention, fun to drive.and all stuffed with big old fashionded push-rod technology.not this rice-tech supercharged stuff that's out there now.:rant2:

#30 ·
Haleykeek said:
best bang for the buck? at $40,000 to $45,000? i'd take a 300 SRT/8 over the Shelby.
Ok have fun with the slower car that only comes in a automatic.
and just wait till the HEMI Cudas come back
That won't be coming back since Plymouth isn't around anymore
,and not to mention Camaro.i'm very sure those two cars will be cheaper,and not to mention, fun to drive.
The Camaro should be interesting to see but your talking 2+ years down the line so there is no comparison and you can't say as to which car iwll be cheaper and more fun to drive.
and all stuffed with big old fashionded push-rod technology.not this rice-tech supercharged stuff that's out there now.:rant2:
lol......ummm.....ok. I'll take the car that comes stock with a blower and spend the $60 for the pulley to make more hp then going out and spending a few grand for a blower, then tuning it, then changing the compression, then reinforcing the block, etc. So have fun with the pushrod:highfive:

#31 ·
I am having trouble understanding something: with the suggested 475 hp-tq., this car is expected to run mid-11's? I hate to bring a new car into the mix here, but the new Z06 is running high-11's with 500 hp-tq., right? Is the GT500 so light that it will be able to beat the ZO6 with it's assumed lesser numbers?

#32 ·
illumina said:
I am having trouble understanding something: with the suggested 475 hp-tq., this car is expected to run mid-11's? I hate to bring a new car into the mix here, but the new Z06 is running high-11's with 500 hp-tq., right? Is the GT500 so light that it will be able to beat the ZO6 with it's assumed lesser numbers?
No, it's going to be heavier. The Z06 is under 3200, estimated weights for the GT500 are in excess of 3600 (sometimes well in excess.) I couldn't imagine Ford managing to get a relatively large, 4 seater that is the Mustang to be lighter than the Z06. It's an iron block with a blower on it, which definately adds weight. It does not have much lightening either.

Blackout, it's quite simple. You're giving the GT500 too much credit, that is all.

#34 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
I believe the new Z06's are running mid 11's. The new Shelby will most likely run high 11's to low 12's.
That would be my estimation as well...

But as for the Z06, Motortrend tested one (I think it was MT) and they ran a 12 flat with it. Something tells me they didn't drive the car right on that test...

#36 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
The GT500's estimated weight is 3700 lbs while the CTS-V is 3850 lbs and the Z06 at 3150 lbs. The Z06 is no doubt faster, but I'll expect high 11's from the GT500.

Sorry, had to correct my numbers
High 11's and that's it! With the Z06 having a 550 lb. advantage, as well as a hp-tq advantage, the GT500 shouldn't be so close.

As for the V and GT500 comparison, compare these scenarios:

:blasted: VS. :brutal:

Both provide similar effects, but one is more effective if you understand what I mean...:D

#37 ·
I just got a PM back from my buddy who worked on the development of the GT500 and I was asking him about their test mule and him saying about it running 11's. I was correct but not 100%. Here is what he said

it'll run 11.9...cause our test mule did. But now that I think about it it was an 07 driveline in a 03 cobra body. I think its like a 300lb difference between gens. But like I said we did see 11.9 in testing on stock driveline only in a 03 cobra body.

#38 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
I believe the new Z06's are running mid 11's. The new Shelby will most likely run high 11's to low 12's.
I'd probably agree with you on this too. The one thing that the Cobra has in it's favor is ease of boosting power output. My guess is a "stock" Cobra will be a high 11, low 12 sec. car but with even something as small as a pulley swap, you could see Z06 performance fairly easily. Again, it may be fast but IMO, it's friggin' UGLY!
I'm still holding out for the Challenger!

#41 ·
UPDATE:

I was talking to another board member that I know and here's what he told me

Last week the Ford Rep. at the Lehigh Valley Autoshow quoted 475/475. I am a little partial towards the car since I used to work for Carroll.
I can't wait until these things come out and people start dyno'ing them to see if Ford sand bagged the numbers like they did on the last Cobra.

#42 ·
Well don't forget that Ford has been accused of going both ways on the Cobra in the past. They got bagged for OVER-estimating power and then later ones were actually UNDER-estimated. Like you siad, I'll wait 'til I see one on a dyno.
Oh, and BTW, where'd you get that picture of me daydreaming?

#43 ·
Katshot said:
Well don't forget that Ford has been accused of going both ways
That's my quote of the day. Happy April Fool's Day! :thumbsup:

#44 ·
Katshot said:
Well don't forget that Ford has been accused of going both ways on the Cobra in the past. They got bagged for OVER-estimating power and then later ones were actually UNDER-estimated.
I think after that fiasco you will never see the Cobra being over estimated again.

Oh, and BTW, where'd you get that picture of me daydreaming?
When you zone out boy do you zone out. Notice how close I was to you when you were day dreaming? :thumbsup:

#46 ·
Katshot said:
As I wrote that, I wondered if anyone would take it that way. ;)
Rest assured, I ALWAYS will. It's a gift really. :thumbsup:

#47 · (Edited)
Met one of the guys who works on the transmission that is this Mustang. Great guy, and the auto show was closing down and he had to stick around to make sure the car was treated correctly.

I asked if he could pop the hood, he said he would love to but loves much more to keep his job. This was back in Febuary btw.

Anyway he said the numbers weren't final but upwards of 475 is where it's looking and it will be supercharged. One of the guys who talks about the car on the stage said they were trying to not to call it the Cobra, but rather aviod that name and just call it the GT500, Shelby Mustang, Shelby GT500, but not Shelby Cobra, or Cobra, or Cobra Mustang.

One thing that ticked me off is that the Ford GT WAS NOT on the showroom, the ran out of floor space and instead of takeing away one of the 3 Lincoln Zephers the GT (the pace car for the company) sat on the truck the whole show, saw it as I was leaving and asked the trucker why it on the truck, thats the reason he told me.

Pictures:

The Mustang is for the driver in us all and for the guy who hasn't grown up yet, the car nut.
The CTS-V is for the guy who cares about Luxury and all the refinement stuff but still be able to get up and go to 60 in under 5. Might have to crate around business partners or kids too.

#49 ·
the shelby in a class of it's own? :tisk: :tisk: :tisk:

I agree that you can't compare the shelby to the v-series, but it will will be in a class with the GTO, the camaro Z28, and the challenger SRT8, to name a few. Especially if the GTO and Z28 are the same car with a different badge...

THANK YOU DETROIT, HORSEPOWER WARS ARE BACK!!!:thumbsup:

/edit/ why are they trying so hard to avoid letting "cobra" escape their lips when they have those retarded snake badges all over the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.