Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
NO CONTEST....What do yo guys think?????

#2 ·
I'd go with the GT500, it's rarer, plus, I've never been much for the CTS's.

#5 ·
Absolutely no contest. The Mustang is a piece of $hit. Always has been, always will be. Then again what would you expect for a bargain basement pony car. Camaro was no better, so not a hater, just speaking from experience. I realize there are no competitors for the Mustang to compare to so these kind of threads are inevitable. But c'mon, a Caddy to a Ford?

#9 ·
The new GT500 hands down! I've always liked Mustangs and the old Shelby GT500 is definetly one of the greatest sports cars ever made. The new one can't hold a candle to the ones on the 60's, but it does justice to the Shelby name.

Mustangs are no where near a luxury sports car, they're just a cheap pony car.
Absolutely no contest. The Mustang is a piece of $hit. Always has been, always will be. Then again what would you expect for a bargain basement pony car. Camaro was no better, so not a hater, just speaking from experience. I realize there are no competitors for the Mustang to compare to so these kind of threads are inevitable. But c'mon, a Caddy to a Ford?
I hate to pick a fight, but I disagree with you 100%. Mustangs AREN'T and DON'T WANT TO BE a luxury sports car, they are meant for speed and pure thrill. We aren't discussing the Mustang though, we're talking about the 2007Shelby GT500 based on the Mustang platform. The GT500, first off, isn't a "cheap pony car", the base price is $45,000 without options. The engine is a 475 HP (that alone would sell me) 5.4L supercharged V8.

The CTS-V is a nice car for the family, but isn't even comparable to the GT500. The clientle that will buy the GT500 wouldn't even want a Cadillac! Both cars have COMPLETELY different markets that they appeal to, but I'd take the Shelby over a CTS-V anyday:D! (I'm not saying the CTS-V is a bad car, but I prefer the Shelby)

#10 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
The GT500, first off, isn't a "cheap pony car", the base price is $45,000 without options. The engine is a 475 HP (that alone would sell me) 5.4L supercharged V8.

The CTS-V is a nice car for the family, but isn't even comparable to the GT500. The clientle that will buy the GT500 wouldn't even want a Cadillac! Both cars have COMPLETELY different markets that they appeal to, but I'd take the Shelby over a CTS-V anyday:D! (I'm not saying the CTS-V is a bad car, but I prefer the Shelby)
I agree with you completely but just the opposite conclusion. The GT500 isn't cheap in price just in build quality and ammenities. It is a 475HP Mustang with a handling package. Nothing will be done to address the cheap looking interior amongst it's other faults.

Also agree that the CTS-V and the GT500 are uncomparable. One is a high quality, 4 door sedan with loads of ammenities. The other is a boy racer pony car or questionable quality. I would never take a GT500 over a Caddy for the same reason I wouldn't take a WRX STi, EVO 8 or similar. All good cars for what they are, just not luxurious enough.

#11 ·
It is a 475HP Mustang with a handling package. Nothing will be done to address the cheap looking interior amongst it's other faults.
The interior is a bit improved over the Mustang GT, but still isn't up to Cadillac standards. The Shelby name alone, is enough to sell the GT500. But, like we said, these cars are in totally different leagues...who's the idiot that started this thread:D?

The CTS-V is comparable to the Lexus GS430 and BMW 5-Series.
The Shelby GT500 is in a league of its own.

#12 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
The Shelby GT500 is in a league of its own.
Amen. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Well what are you looking for in this comparison? Are you talking performance? Ammenities *sp?*? But if your talking performance the GT500 will eat a CTS-V alive. The last gen Cobra is good for mid to upper 12's in stock trim, now you add more hp and tq and your seeing 11's. The GT500 will be the best bang for the buck car out there. And all you need to do then is a pulley swap and hello mid 11's!

#14 ·
No argument. Just doubt many are cross-shopping the two vehicles.

#15 ·
Blackout said:
The last gen Cobra is good for mid to upper 12's in stock trim, now you add more hp and tq and your seeing 11's. The GT500 will be the best bang for the buck car out there. And all you need to do then is a pulley swap and hello mid 11's!
That's not really a valid comparison being that the 03-04 cobra is a totally different car with a very different motor. I wouldn't automatically give the GT500 11s quite yet, then again I wouldn't doubt it if I saw some timeslips in the very high 11s.

#16 ·
davesdeville said:
That's not really a valid comparison being that the 03-04 cobra is a totally different car with a very different motor. I wouldn't automatically give the GT500 11s quite yet, then again I wouldn't doubt it if I saw some timeslips in the very high 11s.
Before I even opened this thread up and I saw you were the last post on here I was 100% sure that you were going to be quoting something I said and low and behold I was correct. But what you just said has to be the most stupid thing I have ever read. yes the 03-04 Cobra was a different car then the GT500. It has less power and a different motor. So now the new GT500 with a new motor and 100 more hp and a 100 more lb/tq isn't going to be a full second faster in the 1/4? Since Ford hasn't come out with the exact numbers for the GT500 the only thing they are saying is that the hp and tq is estimated at 475 and 475. The GT500 in its prototype stages I believe was running mid to upper 11's

#17 ·

I must admit that the current generation Mustang is the most appealing in the line. The previous two design styles were just horrible, but they've really turned it around.

This GT500 looks to be impressive, but with the price approaching $50k (and that's before dealer markups) they need to do something about the cheap interior and the plastic grill mesh.
Performance-wise, it sounds to be right on. I just hope they do a little more to distinguish the top of the line versions from the dime a dozen V6's this time.

#19 ·
This thread is little vague. Are you talking a general comparison, or just performance. I'm assuming you're talking just performance, since only a moron would honestly be trying to compare these two cars IMO. If so, I think it's fair to say the GT500 driver has nothing to fear from a CTS-V driver. That said, I find it interesting that someone mentioned something about a cheap looking interior in the Mustang. I could swear I remember MANY people having the exact same complaint about the CTS interior. Hey, the Mustang isn't supposed to be a luxury car like the CTS so a plain (read "functional") interior shouldn't be a big deal, right? As for the looks, IMO, the CTS-V has the looks over the GT500. I like the new Mustang GT but really hate the GT500. FUGLY!!

#21 ·
This thread is little vague. Are you talking a general comparison, or just performance. I'm assuming you're talking just performance, since only a moron would honestly be trying to compare these two cars IMO. If so, I think it's fair to say the GT500 driver has nothing to fear from a CTS-V driver. That said, I find it interesting that someone mentioned something about a cheap looking interior in the Mustang. I could swear I remember MANY people having the exact same complaint about the CTS interior. Hey, the Mustang isn't supposed to be a luxury car like the CTS so a plain (read "functional") interior shouldn't be a big deal, right? As for the looks, IMO, the CTS-V has the looks over the GT500. I like the new Mustang GT but really hate the GT500. FUGLY!!
Thank you Katshot, these two cars CANNOT be compared! One if a luxury sports sedan, the other is a powerful and famous sports coupe. I liked the interior on both cars, the CTS-V has a nice yet subtle luxurious feel to it; the GT500 has a retro and fun interior that fits it well.

As for looks, I definetly love the GT500, the CTS-V can't hold a candle to it (my opinion). I still wish they'd bring back the GT350, that car actually has some extensive racing history.

#22 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
Thank you Katshot, these two cars CANNOT be compared! One if a luxury sports sedan, the other is a powerful and famous sports coupe. I liked the interior on both cars, the CTS-V has a nice yet subtle luxurious feel to it; the GT500 has a retro and fun interior that fits it well.

As for looks, I definetly love the GT500, the CTS-V can't hold a candle to it (my opinion). I still wish they'd bring back the GT350, that car actually has some extensive racing history.
If you go to the New York Auto Show you will see this.....

New York show briefs: Sheby GT350H reincarnated

AutoWeek | Published 03/21/06, 12:00 pm et

1966 Ford Shelby Mustang 350
One more little teaser: We hear Ford is putting the finishing touches on a special throwback Mustang for New York, one that echoes the famed Hertz rental car Shelby Mustangs from the ’60s. Ford isn’t talking, but sources tell us the latest incarnation of the Shelby GT350H will carry the same gold-on-black paint scheme as the 1966 original. The new GT350H will also offer higher performance in keeping with the car from the past that, legend has it, was often rented and raced (though participation in SCCA events is unsubstantiated). Ford built 999 copies of the 1966 GT350H, which featured a 289-cid, 306-hp V8.

Stay tuned to AutoWeek.com for all the latest news from the New York show during media preview days April 12-13.

#23 ·
davesdeville said:
So you're saying you don't know either. Good job. :rolleyes:
Head of SVT, Hau Thai-Tang, along with Carrol Shelby have stuffed the extraordinary 5.4-liter, DOHC, 32-valve supercharged V8 from the Ford GT super car under the Mustang's hood. Final horsepower numbers have not yet been announced, but Thai-Tang hints it will be “Well over 450 hp, closer to 500.” Look for 450-plus lb-ft of torque too. Whatever the final numbers, it will be insane. Engineer Thai-Tang, who did a stint at Newman-Haas Racing, sums up the powertrain by saying: “It's gonna be a monster.”
So how are you supposed to quote numbers that aren't available yet? Due for real STFU if all you have to say is going to be something arrogant. Atleast I am contributing something useful to this thread unlike you

#25 ·
Blackout said:
So how are you supposed to quote numbers that aren't available yet? Due for real STFU if all you have to say is going to be something arrogant. Atleast I am contributing something useful to this thread unlike you
That's my point, you're not supposed to quote numbers that aren't available yet. You're not adding anything to the thread by doing it.

#26 ·
davesdeville said:
That's my point, you're not supposed to quote numbers that aren't available yet. You're not adding anything to the thread by doing it.
You truly are an idiot. This thread is comparing the CTS-V and the GT500. Since the current CTS-V is at the very best a upper 12 second car in stock trim and the last gen Cobra's are doing upper to mid 12's in stock trim. Now you add more hp and tq to the tune of damn near 100 more in both hp and tq and you don't think the car will be doing 11's? Who the hell cares about the exact numbers that Ford is claiming for them because they will be most likely underrated just like the last Cobra's numbers were. So yes I am adding something to this thread since were comparing the two cars. All you have managed to do is point out the obvious that the GT500 isn't a luxury sports car and then try to start crap with me because I don't have the EXACT numbers. You have become one of the biggest trolls on this forum s of late. I dunno what your issue is but if its with me PM me and tell me what the problem seems to be if your not going to do that then like I said before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.