Cadillac's strongest advantages, or negative weaknesses. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac's strongest advantages, or negative weaknesses. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Ralph writes: "No other car manufacturer can say they have been making luxury cars for over 100 years, not even ...
    1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cadillac's strongest advantages, or negative weaknesses.

Ralph writes:

"No other car manufacturer can say they have been making luxury cars for over 100 years, not even Lexus. To me, Lexus makes good cars, but in my mind, they are so new at it, and everyone just jumped on these cars because of the "feeling" of quality. Now I must stop because my thoughts are wandering and I fear I may not be able to explain clearly."

Ralph, I agree with most of what you wrote except for a couple of points. Oriignally, Cadillac did not set out to make luxury cars. Cadillac was first known for making well-built, precision engineered cars. those cars eventually eveolved inot expensive, high-end, luxury cars. Second. Benz (which also started out as Cadillac, making precision, well-built cars) has been making cars longer than Cadillac. Benz has the claim as the longest-lived luxury car brand in the world.

Having said that, I agree with you 100% ont he issue of Lexus. Lexus is the new kid in town and until they can prove their worth, through sheer longevity, they will remain nothing but a tarted-up Toyota. Incidentally, Lexus is now having some of the same problems than GM has been having with brand-confusion. A top of the line toyota SUV, fully optioned, rides as well, is finished as well and has the same over-all quality feel than the top of the line Lexus SUV. Only difference between the two? Several thousands dollars

So, unless you need to have the Lexus plate attached to your vehicle, the smart shopper would (should) opt for the Toyota SUV and take the money saved and spend it on a vacation.

On the Mercedes board that I "visit" people are having the same kind of Benz vs. Lexus debate. The general consensus there is (like you Ralph) that Lexus is a nice car, but they have not been around long enough to prove their worth, over the long run.

My father likes to buy Cadillacs. He has been owning Cadillacs for a long time. My godfather also owned Cadillac. One of my fondest childhood memories was of my godfather coming to visit us driving what must have been one of the last Cadillacs imported to Cuba , before Castro went commie and the embargo set in

I like Cadillac, I like Benz--I consider myself fortunate to have been able to own both brands.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by 1toycad
    Ralph writes:

"No other car manufacturer can say they have been making luxury cars for over 100 years, not even Lexus. To me, Lexus makes good cars, but in my mind, they are so new at it, and everyone just jumped on these cars because of the "feeling" of quality. Now I must stop because my thoughts are wandering and I fear I may not be able to explain clearly."

Ralph, I agree with most of what you wrote except for a couple of points. Oriignally, Cadillac did not set out to make luxury cars. Cadillac was first known for making well-built, precision engineered cars. those cars eventually eveolved inot expensive, high-end, luxury cars. Second. Benz (which also started out as Cadillac, making precision, well-built cars) has been making cars longer than Cadillac. Benz has the claim as the longest-lived luxury car brand in the world.

Having said that, I agree with you 100% ont he issue of Lexus. Lexus is the new kid in town and until they can prove their worth, through sheer longevity, they will remain nothing but a tarted-up Toyota. Incidentally, Lexus is now having some of the same problems than GM has been having with brand-confusion. A top of the line toyota SUV, fully optioned, rides as well, is finished as well and has the same over-all quality feel than the top of the line Lexus SUV. Only difference between the two? Several thousands dollars

So, unless you need to have the Lexus plate attached to your vehicle, the smart shopper would (should) opt for the Toyota SUV and take the money saved and spend it on a vacation.

On the Mercedes board that I "visit" people are having the same kind of Benz vs. Lexus debate. The general consensus there is (like you Ralph) that Lexus is a nice car, but they have not been around long enough to prove their worth, over the long run.

My father likes to buy Cadillacs. He has been owning Cadillacs for a long time. My godfather also owned Cadillac. One of my fondest childhood memories was of my godfather coming to visit us driving what must have been one of the last Cadillacs imported to Cuba , before Castro went commie and the embargo set in

I like Cadillac, I like Benz--I consider myself fortunate to have been able to own both brands.
    Right, I realize there weren't really "luxury cars" around in 1902 because there were only a few manufacturers around back then. I did not know that Benz was around that long. It would be interesting to hang around the Benz Forum to see what they think of Cadillac and Lincoln because other than the new styling of the E class, they cannot touch the sportiness of Deville, or the class of a new Town Car.

EastOfGratiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cadillac is in a very strong position right now. The product line is filled with bold exciting products that compete well with any luxury brand. The truth about quality these days is that quality is virtually a non-issue when comparing brands. The latest J.D. Power quality report for 3 year old models (the best data on new car reliability) shows that almost all car brands have very few problems. The differences between car makes in the top 10 are so slim, it should not sway any purchase decisions. Unfortunately, reputation and the misunderstanding of the statistics often sways the uninformed.

It is true that Toyota, and later Lexus were dominant forces in the pursuit of high quality. The reality today is that most car companies are in the same ballgame now. If you want to split hairs and count the problems per 100 vehicles, Lexus is still at the top, but Porche is 2nd and Buick is 3rd. Cadillac places right up near the top too; 7th, I believe, and is about equal to Toyota.

All the companies in the top 25 or so have great reliability. A few of the Korean brands and VW round out the bottom of the list, but cars like VW have excellent PERCEIVED quality (fit and finish), and owners love them.

If older Cadillacs are your thing, they were all, for the most part some of the best assembled and finished cars of their time, with few exceptions. Those few exceptions, diesels, V864s, 4.1Ls, have been out of the market for a while, but if you have any one of them now they can all be affordably upgraded to be completely reliable.

What makes Cadillacs wonderful today, and always has, is their uniqueness among the luxury brands. They are bold American luxury cars. Why settle for less?

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I have noticed something and I don't like it! That is, most of the options on my 1991 Caddy are not so exclusive anymore! For example, even the cheapest Chev, or Buick have auto climate control, power windows, locks. I wonder if Cad was the first to offer Navagation systems? If so, it wouldn't suprise me. I'll also bet that many other competing manufacturers of luxury cars have adopted or "stolen" Cadillac's ideas to some degree?
    Well, Cadillac was the first American company with Cruise control, auto diming headlights and I think A/C, but don't quote me on that. Hell my 59 had all that. I think The Buick Reatta was the first to offer a Nav feature. Ya'll remembre that one? The little 2 seater job with the parallel 4 cylinder. I know it did have touch screen control. I thought that was kind of neat. But once upon a time Cadillac was the industry leader for all the cool gadgets.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

4 cylinder?! Nav system?!

My reatta had a 3800 V6 and a plain old touch panel display(very cool for the time though). I don't understand why that car never went over well, it had a nice design and was fairly fast. Maybe people had a hard time associating Buick with a 2 door sports car. I ended up selling it because parts are so hard to find for it. Yes, I'm kicking myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapyard
    Well, Cadillac was the first American company with Cruise control, auto diming headlights and I think A/C, but don't quote me on that. Hell my 59 had all that. *snip* But once upon a time Cadillac was the industry leader for all the cool gadgets.
    Isn't it still?
    -Magnetic Ride Control
    -Night Vision
    -StabiliTrak
    -Keyless Entry & Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    4 cylinder?! Nav system?!

My reatta had a 3800 V6 and a plain old touch panel display(very cool for the time though)...

Isn't it still?
    -Magnetic Ride Control
    -Night Vision
    -StabiliTrak
    -Keyless Entry & Ignition
    Was it a six? Oops, my mistake. I thought they were a parallel engine though. One of my instructors had one when I was in tech school. His had a parallel. Anyway. Still neat little cars though.

I think Lincoln had keyless entry befor Cadillac. That little key pad on the door of the Town Cars. And I think Zee Germans, lol, were jockeying for position with the ride control options along with us. I will give you the night vision though .

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cadillac introduced the first starter motor and the first mass-produced V-8.

Doing a quick search, 'firsts in a production automobile' by Cadillac:

(1908) Electric Starter - Prior to this, engines had to be cranked over by hand. Taking power from a battery, a 'starter' did the work.

(1912) Automotive electrical system - "In 1912 Cadillac introduced the Delco system, an electric lighting and ignition system, which earned the car maker a second Dewars Trophy--the automobile industry's equivalent of the Nobel Prize--and revolutionized the industry."

(1915) First Production V8 Engine

(1948) Tail Fins - "With the introduction of the Cadillac tail fin in 1948, Harley Earl once again instituted a style that would control the industry for a decade. Inspired by the twin tails on the Lockheed P 38 Lightning figher plane of World War II, the tail fin was highly controversial among stylists. But it caught on immediately with the public."

(1956) Electric Door Locks - The first electric door locks were introduced by Cadillac in 1956.

(1974) Driver and Passenger Airbags - First set of airbags in a production automobile.

I've seen a complete list (very long) somewhere, but can't find it at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by scrapyard
    I think Lincoln had keyless entry befor Cadillac. That little key pad on the door of the Town Cars. And I think Zee Germans, lol, were jockeying for position with the ride control options along with us. I will give you the night vision though .
    Cadillac's keyless entry and ignition is a proximity based system. Completely different from the Ford touchpads. You keep a keyfob on you and it unlocks the doors as you walk up and relocks them when you walk away. There are no keyslots. Ignition is button start and can only be used if the keyfob is in the car.

I'll agree that 'ride control' is hard to prove because it really depends on your definition.

Also, advisor services (OnStar) and satellite radio (XM) were first introduced in Cadillacs.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

If you check into it remote entry was probably offered as something aftermarket before any car got it, and XM radio wasn't produced by Cadillac. They just use the technology.

nxxprometheus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I love my Cadillac, I Only wish that the parts were not so expensive, Im a Dealer baby and I allways go back to the dealer. Im going to say, Ive owned a BMW 5 series and My cadillac Rides SO much better, Im a owner of a Catera and the only thing I can complain about it, Is i beleave it needs 50 more Hp, Perhaps I could get a supercharger in it or something. I wish they put there Northstar 8 cyl in it, God that is a Great Engine. I think that has been Cadillacs greatest acomplisment so far, That engine is so good But They really should use all that power in a RWD format instead of the front.

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    ...Cadillac's keyless entry and ignition is a proximity based system. Completely different from the Ford touchpads. You keep a keyfob on you and it unlocks the doors as you walk up and relocks them when you walk away. There are no keyslots. Ignition is button start and can only be used if the keyfob is in the car.
    This stuff is cool- this is the begining of the 'unstealable' car. The ignition uses a very high end cryptographic 'key' exchange, and so the car computer wont even do a single thing until that 'key' in the wireless fob is present. If they're using a robust and open ecryption scheme, then it will take YEARS (literally) for someone to crack the code to use your car. And since the car pretty much requires the computer to even crank... well... we see where I'm going with this.

This is the biggest thing to come to cars in a long time. Now it will just be part-strippers and vandals you have to worry about.

"Cadillac's keyless entry and ignition is a proximity based system. Completely different from the Ford touchpads. You keep a keyfob on you and it unlocks the doors as you walk up and relocks them when you walk away. There are no keyslots. Ignition is button start and can only be used if the keyfob is in the car."

Yup, totally different setups. Very neat idea though. I didn't know they were offering such a thing. That makes Mercedes laser keys seem dated by comparison.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.