BMW 550i - What a waste - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, BMW 550i - What a waste in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Agreed. The 525's are the bread and butter larger (not large) sedans for BMW. But once you option up a ...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Re: BMW 550i - What a waste

Agreed. The 525's are the bread and butter larger (not large) sedans for BMW. But once you option up a 550i you're looking at $70-75K. Someone's gotta ask, "hey wait a minute, for $10 grand more I can have the M? Screw this!" That's why it's a nowhere car. It just doesn't belong in the line up. Too far from the 535 and too close to the M.

Wiseguy2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS and a bunch of BMWs

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Agreed. The 525's are the bread and butter larger (not large) sedans for BMW. But once you option up a 550i you're looking at $70-75K. Someone's gotta ask, "hey wait a minute, for $10 grand more I can have the M? Screw this!" That's why it's a nowhere car. It just doesn't belong in the line up. Too far from the 535 and too close to the M.
    Well the 535 is not imported (Too bad we don't get the 535d.. 0-60 in the 6s and close to 40 on the highway.. oh well) so there's the 525, 530 and 550.

I went and built a 550i about as close to an M5 as I could. I added sport package, cold weather, nav, Logic 7, SMG ($0) and I think that was it. I came up with close to $15k less than an M5.

Plus the 550i attracts a different buyer. There's no Automatic M5s (thank god) or 6-speed M5s (sucks) yet. Most BMWs are, sadly, automatics. Besides.. $67k is a big difference from $81k.

For $15k more you lose the flexibility of the transmission options, comfort seats, a smoother ride, a quiet exhaust, and not to mention availability. Also, you can get a discount on a 550i, M5s command full sticker. Furthermore, most of these cars are leased, BMW has decent lease programs on 550s and NO support on M5s (They dont exactly need any help selling them).

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy2 View Post
    Well the 535 is not imported (Too bad we don't get the 535d.. 0-60 in the 6s and close to 40 on the highway.. oh well) so there's the 525, 530 and 550.

I went and built a 550i about as close to an M5 as I could. I added sport package, cold weather, nav, Logic 7, SMG ($0) and I think that was it. I came up with close to $15k less than an M5.

Plus the 550i attracts a different buyer. There's no Automatic M5s (thank god) or 6-speed M5s (sucks) yet. Most BMWs are, sadly, automatics. Besides.. $67k is a big difference from $81k.

For $15k more you lose the flexibility of the transmission options, comfort seats, a smoother ride, a quiet exhaust, and not to mention availability. Also, you can get a discount on a 550i, M5s command full sticker. Furthermore, most of these cars are leased, BMW has decent lease programs on 550s and NO support on M5s (They dont exactly need any help selling them).
    I stand corrected on all counts. The 550i is an excellent vehicle and a proper segment filler for BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    I stand corrected on all counts. The 550i is an excellent vehicle and a proper segment filler for BMW.
    I wouldn't say excellent. It's still Pug-Ugly and I HATE iDrive... I still have my old 740iL for a reason

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Wow, someone managed the impossible. Even I conceded that it IS a bit overpriced, not as badly as some people think it is, but I think it could stand to lose $6K or so off its sticker. Look at it my way, too... The $67-68K mark these cars hit fully loaded is dangerously close to entry level 745i territory, and the 745i has much of that crap standard. That, and the new 5 STILL looks like a Pontiac with the Extra-Fugly package. It really is a very good car either way though.

EDIT: 750i now, not 745 anymore. I RESENT the designation 750 being applied to any BMW without a 12 cylinder engine. Long live the E38!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750 View Post
    Long live the E38!
    Hear Hear! I have a 740iL that I still have because I HATE the new 7. The new 7s are into the 80s tho..

soupero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 3.6 Launch Edition (Euro)

If I had to choose between a 550i or M5 it would be the 550i, the sound is so much better, the V10 sounds like shit! And I think the same about a 650i or a M6.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

You know I really never did think about that one... V10s never do sound too good though. Listen to the F250's V10 and it sounds like it's about to rattle itself to pieces. They really do not sound healthy at all.

I had a friend point this out to me. I then took a look at one on a dealer lot, and while it does get the truck moving in reasonable order (though it is not nearly as fast as its numbers say it should be), it sounds like it is apt to disintegrate in the process.

Viper engines don't sound too hot either (engine wise, exhaust sound tells you nothing!) though at least they do not sound like they are about to explode.

The M5 should be a V12. V10s are silly.

Incidentally, the lowest undiscounted, full sticker price I could pull together for a 750i was $72495 US. It CAN be pushed into the 80s though easily, and most cars as shipped are about 80. the prices on these cars really don't change a lot. The E38 740i based at around 68000 through the latter half of the model run, with the 740iL at about 74000, and the 750iL at about 93000. These are absolute base figures of course.

Oh.. I beg to differ. I've driven the new M5.. it's got a wonderful sound.

Of course here's my baby.. I've had a couple of these, 2 E34s and 3 E39 M5s.. I keep going back the the original

frip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: BMW 550i - What a waste

Of course here's my baby.. I've had a couple of these, 2 E34s and 3 E39 M5s.. I keep going back the the original
    e12 & e28 5 series were rugged, I6 was a strong motor.

e12 & e28

frip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: BMW 550i - What a waste

e12 & e28 5 series were rugged, I6 was a strong motor.

e12 & e28

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.