BMW 550i - What a waste - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, BMW 550i - What a waste in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Yeah but that doesn't mean a lot. A "problem" could be that the ashtray doesn't stay closed. I know that ...
    Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: BMW 550i - What a waste

Yeah but that doesn't mean a lot. A "problem" could be that the ashtray doesn't stay closed. I know that it would drive me insane to have an ashtray rattling open and closed but it's still not a major problem. Use a piece of tape to secure it until you can get a new spring for it.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    Yeah but that doesn't mean a lot. A "problem" could be that the ashtray doesn't stay closed. I know that it would drive me insane to have an ashtray rattling open and closed but it's still not a major problem. Use a piece of tape to secure it until you can get a new spring for it.
    Tell that to the guy with the $60,000 vehicle and the broken ash tray. I get pretty shitty with dealers when I have problems with a brand new vehicle. As well I should for the money I've shelled out. As for the ash tray example, the domestic cars have ash trays too.

toysnob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Tell that to the guy with the $60,000 vehicle and the broken ash tray. I get pretty shitty with dealers when I have problems with a brand new vehicle. As well I should for the money I've shelled out. As for the ash tray example, the domestic cars have ash trays too.
    Well there is a big difference with an ashtray and the car breaking down. Electronics being more prevelant in cars has also made this issue even more difficult to really quantify. I think most people understand that German cars are more reliable from a mechanical perspective, at least in the high end cars. Engines that are hand built in Germany are more desirable than ones built in a factory in Detroit.

Btw, this thread should really just have been called German vs. American cars, because that is all this is about. I have a feeling CVP33 that you could have driven any German car and came out swinging with the same rhetoric

But I'm not (unusual I know) taking one or other side.

I had a 1989 Jimmy a while ago. My dad bought it new when I was in elementary school (Kindergarten). The S Jimmy was supposedly a very problematic car, and it did have its share of problems. They included three digital dashboard replacements, a VSS replacement, a new alternator, an air conditioner valve leaking that had to be replaced, a broken headlight switch, and a few interior little problems. This was over the span of 367000 miles that we kept the car, and sold it in good working order. Most of that which broke happened during the first three or four years. The alternator went at 180K miles. The dashboards at 30, 210, 280K miles. VSS at around 40000. Oh and a prom (chip) was replaced as defective a couple of times when the car was almost new to correct for a rising and falling RPM at idle in Neutral or Park. I don't have the receipt for that repair, but I remember it being donw. I have the others though.

That would be a horribly problematic car in the world of initial quality, but it was the best car that anyone I know ever had.

Randy_W is offline Banned

I think most people understand that German cars are more reliable from a mechanical perspective, at least in the high end cars. Engines that are hand built in Germany are more desirable than ones built in a factory in Detroit.
    That is a severe misconception, when you remove diesel cars from the equation and compare gas engines, Mercedes has no better repair record than Chevy over the last 10 years.

I hear over and over about the "butter smooth" BMW auto trans, well Bubba, that trans is designed and built in America by the General Motors Powertrain Division and the electronic controls for it are Delphi! Rolls, Bently and Jag have all used GM tranny's in recent years. So this 'myth' of German enginerring and mechanical superiority is just that, a myth, if not, we would be saying Hiel Hitler instead of God bless America!

Quote Originally Posted by toysnob
    Btw, this thread should really just have been called German vs. American cars, because that is all this is about. I have a feeling CVP33 that you could have driven any German car and came out swinging with the same rhetoric
    The term "rhetoric" implies; a way with words, elocution and articulation. I think you meant something else. My opinions were developed from test driving several German, Japanese and domestic brands. I've honestly never owned a German make but I certainly won't rule one out.

Right now I'm driving the perfect vehicle for me. It didn't handle quite as well as I'd hoped so I took car of that. The ragazines gave the SRT-8 a .88-.90g on the skid pad. With my coilovers and sways I'd imagine I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of .93-.95g's. Not many 4,160 lb. vehicles that can match those numbers, run a 12.9 second quarter mile and comfortably seat 4 adults for under $46K. I'm not saying the SRT-8 is the best car ever. Just the best choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W
    That is a severe misconception, when you remove diesel cars from the equation and compare gas engines, Mercedes has no better repair record than Chevy over the last 10 years.

I hear over and over about the "butter smooth" BMW auto trans, well Bubba, that trans is designed and built in America by the General Motors Powertrain Division and the electronic controls for it are Delphi! Rolls, Bently and Jag have all used GM tranny's in recent years. So this 'myth' of German enginerring and mechanical superiority is just that, a myth, if not, we would be saying Hiel Hitler instead of God bless America!
    Mercedes is awful. Most enthusiast don't even argue for M/B reliability anymore. They lost a lot over the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Mercedes is awful. Most enthusiast don't even argue for M/B reliability anymore. They lost a lot over the last 10 years.
    Yeah I think I made special note of that several times, unless it was on the other thread (S4 vs. CTS-V). No doubt MB has suffered serious QA problems.

CVP33, I am soon to put some CO on the S4 as well. I agree that with a few little mods these cars can be improved even further.

Quote Originally Posted by toysnob
    Yeah I think I made special note of that several times, unless it was on the other thread (S4 vs. CTS-V). No doubt MB has suffered serious QA problems.

CVP33, I am soon to put some CO on the S4 as well. I agree that with a few little mods these cars can be improved even further.
    That doesn't address the tranny issue or the fact you said German units were superior. That statement means all German is better than all Detroit. If that's not what you meant, then specifically tell us which German item is better than which Detroit item and explain why.

I think it addresses it fine since I made several mentions that Merces Benz was recently an exception to the long held German mantle of quality cars. I think I was even the first to mention it, so what exactly is your gripe here?

Even that said, its uncharacteristic of MB, and in the history of cars its a blip on the radar.

American car fans remind me of Red Sox fans. Its like, yeah the Red Sox won the World Series, and yeah they trounced the Yankees in a historic playoff series, and they finally have a foot on the playing field of championship baseball. But it's as if that is supposed to erase an 86 year drought. As if the Yankees aren't going to own once again?

I mean common, GM is bleeding money out it's a$$, there are no gaurantees it will be around in 5 years, let alone 3.

That doesn't address the tranny issue or the fact you said German units were superior. That statement means all German is better than all Detroit. If that's not what you meant, then specifically tell us which German item is better than which Detroit item and explain why.
    As far as the tranny issue goes, it wasn't I who made light of BMW's tranny, that was someone else.

But seeing as how you brought it up I think it's worth noting that its useless to point to this fact. What good is it if GM builds great trannys for BMW. I am an American. I know we have some of the smartest people in the world here. I owned American cars for my whole life until I said enough is enough.

Of course we can build great stuff. Its how the business is run that I think is whack. GM should stop building great xyz for another car company and start worrying about their own cars.

I think we have to limit the debate to technology GM actually ships in their cars, not the theoretical intillectual output of each country's car makers. We live in a globalized world now.

I hear over and over about the "butter smooth" BMW auto trans, well Bubba, that trans is designed and built in America by the General Motors Powertrain Division and the electronic controls for it are Delphi! Rolls, Bently and Jag have all used GM tranny's in recent years. ...
    No no no no no. BMW 3 series automatics are GM. 5L40E usually to be exact. The 6 cylinder e39 5 series cars are too, as is the X5 3.0. All of the others use ZF transmissions, which is a German company. (Zahnradfabrik Freidrichschaffen if I am spelling it right). In the few cases where ZF and GM transmissions are on similar cars, the ZFs do have a better reputation for durability and do behave better. Additionally, when BMW does use GM transmissions, they do not use the Delphy control electronics, they use BMW's own electronic modules, just like the ZF equipped cars do (though not the same component model).

As far as Mercedes Benz engines, the incidence of internal engine malfunction (bottom end or valvetrain) is in fact lower than your typical American built engine. Same for BMW. Then again, they have each had one dud recently that I can think of... The 333HP M3 inline 6 (3.2) had an issue with bearings wearing through and causing connecting rod caps to break. This was fixed by changing suppliers of the bearings.
    The Mercedes 4.2 V8 had more head gasket problems than our Northstar V8s ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    No no no no no. BMW 3 series automatics are GM. 5L40E usually to be exact. The 6 cylinder e39 5 series cars are too, as is the X5 3.0. All of the others use ZF transmissions, which is a German company. (Zahnradfabrik Freidrichschaffen if I am spelling it right). In the few cases where ZF and GM transmissions are on similar cars, the ZFs do have a better reputation for durability and do behave better. Additionally, when BMW does use GM transmissions, they do not use the Delphy control electronics, they use BMW's own electronic modules, just like the ZF equipped cars do (though not the same component model).

As far as Mercedes Benz engines, the incidence of internal engine malfunction (bottom end or valvetrain) is in fact lower than your typical American built engine. Same for BMW. Then again, they have each had one dud recently that I can think of... The 333HP M3 inline 6 (3.2) had an issue with bearings wearing through and causing connecting rod caps to break. This was fixed by changing suppliers of the bearings.
    The Mercedes 4.2 V8 had more head gasket problems than our Northstar V8s ever did.
    Why does it matter which models use them? Where is your documentation countering the gas engine studies, results, and those showing the ZF with fewer failures in the same model?

Also BMW has signed new agreements to buy GM's hybrid transmission as has DCX for use in the '08 Durango! If Germany offered a better option why wouldn't a MB owned company use it? Germany has no such advantage, like I said, if the Germans were such whiz kids, why did they lose WW II?? They were out teched and out produced by the greatest manufacuring machine on earth, the USA. It's just hard for those with anti American sentiment to admit!

frip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: BMW 550i - What a waste

I test drove the SRT8. No offense, but it's way the hell back where BMW was in the 1970s.
    Really, got figures to prove it, lol?

Livin in the 70s

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.