Cadillac Owners Forum banner
18K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  marnepup 
#1 ·
Not really a proper race, per se, but I ran into a gorgeous black SRT8 today on the highway. He was in the 'slow' right lane just cruisin and I gently passed him on the left going the speed of adjacent traffic. About 4 car lengths past him I see him jump out from behind a car into my lane and approach my tail really, really fast. I immediately slammed the whine pedal just to show him I might wanna play given the chance. He switched back to the slow lane and comes up on my right. I rolled down my window and gave him props for having such a gorgeous car. We slowed down to 50ish and I yelled out 1,2,3 out my window and punched it from 3rd gear. We raced up to maybe 90mph or so and I had barely put 1 car on him. The thing that sucked was he immediately got off the exit ramp b/f we could even rematch. I honestly don't know who would have won if we had had more room and time to play.

Now here's the thing that sux...I'm maggied. I'm assuming he was bone stock. I'm not the best shifter in the world but I only had to shift from 3rd to 4th. I feel it shouldn't have been so close from a roll. I think I need to dyno my car to see if it's putting the power to the ground that it should. Maybe the race was just too short to let Maggie show her stuff but I'm a little disappointed right now.

#4 ·
Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick!

Florian said:
two words.....heat soak.

Just kills the Maggies.

F
Well, even w/o the Maggie I'd think a stock V could at least be about equal from a roll. If I'm just barely pulling then I'd think my car isn't putting down the power I paid for.

Besides, it's only 50 degrees out right now here in Seattle.

#6 ·

considering you stomped it from 3rd @50 the results don't sound too bad...if he was startin' out in a lower gear. a wins a win...no pts for 2nd.

G
#8 ·

He was probably selected 2nd gear and when you hit with an idle torque converter in a modern car they shoot off like a bat out of hell because of the torque spike. I used have a supercharged 3800 Regal GS with a reporgrammed PCM(and smaller pulley) that could be violent if you were cruising at 40 MPH in first as the shift to 2nd was 52 MPH.

Torque spike on the dyno could see 30-50 ft-lbs.

Norm - who needs another V8 car!
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/iko...=9;t=261;st=90

#10 ·

Florian said:
have you had your car tuned on a dyno w/the Maggie and not that crap that maggie sends with the unit?

F
I still have the stock Maggie tune. I was waiting on getting a CAI first b/f getting StealthV's tune.

#11 ·

GT04CTS-V said:
Maggie with good tune, step on the whine pedal at 50 mph in third gear, tires will spin and traction control will kick in. Worse if the runcraps are cold.

GT
Hmmm, guess I'm missing some power somewhere then.

G
#15 ·

That is just engineering around the problem. The V is not a street tuner car. If heat soak is a problem, then the intercooler needs to be addressed.

Norm-
My other car wants a V8 too with C6 Z06 acceleration!

ace996 said:
Heat Soak Rx = ECS Alky Injection, either alky/water mix or just water...lowers intake temps substantially and makes the heatsoak a non-issue.

#16 · (Edited)

V-Max said:
That is just engineering around the problem. The V is not a street tuner car. If heat soak is a problem, then the intercooler needs to be addressed.
I won't argue with you on that, but it seems to work fine for the WRC cars...they all use water injection. And short of bolting up a radiator-sized intercooler, it's not gonna happen. The location of the heat-exchanger under the maggie is not optimal, not much one can do to keep it isolated from engine heat.

And the GTO kit has an even smaller heat-exchanger under the maggie...one would probably be better off leaving the intercooler off and just install the W/I.

Hey, if W/I can bring intake temps from 180* to under 100* in under a second, its not a bad thing. And it works in traffic, where no intercooler is going to do it's job well. Also, should one mix in meth or alky then octane is bumped-up considerably(a good thing that no intercooler is able to accomplish)...some Vette guys have added 50-75hp with proper tuning....again, not a bad thing.

W/I = Chemical Intercooling

And the V not being a street tuner car? I don't understand that...W/I is street-tuner??? That some sort of "Australian-Iron" closed-minded flame on W/I??? It's not a drag car either, hasn't stopped others from going down that strip...

-ace

#17 ·

V-Max said:
The V is not a street tuner car.
Not really sure what you mean by this?? Am I just wasting time and money on modding my LS6-driven luxo-cruiser?

G
#19 ·

V's don't run for 30 minute segments or for an evening on the street like WRC/Street tuner cars do. They to spend most of the week running it's owner to work or picking up the kids. The owner is not going to spend time topping off the W/I or be keeping an eye on it.

WRC probably uses W/I due to high load where the cooling system does not have time to recover. Something V will not see picking up groceries. My C32 AMG with twin-screw Lyschom blower that had a water cooler intercooler would not see over 150F or the DME(PCM) would start to pull timing on the road course. And it was tied to the main cooling system as an overflow when the main system heated up and expanded.

Does the Predator tune start to pull timing at a certain IAT? What about Stealth's tune? A quick check would be to monitor it or after a spirited run to monitor return I/C hoses or the I/C itself.

Heat soak was not a problem at 50F on the highway, not unless Seatle CTS-V system is not operating properly.

But if a SRT-8 traps @ 109-110 and the V with Maggie @ 115 MPH, your not going to see a big difference in 50-90 MPH race.

Norm - '88 GT - soon to be V8.
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=261

#20 ·

V-Max said:
He was probably selected 2nd gear and when you hit with an idle torque converter in a modern car they shoot off like a bat out of hell because of the torque spike. I used have a supercharged 3800 Regal GS with a reporgrammed PCM(and smaller pulley) that could be violent if you were cruising at 40 MPH in first as the shift to 2nd was 52 MPH.

Torque spike on the dyno could see 30-50 ft-lbs.

Norm - who needs another V8 car!
The SRT-8 is nothing more than a dumbed down AMG Benz. Having owned 3 AMG cars, I can tell you that the AMG Sppedshift tranny gives an unfair advantage from a roll. I have taken many faster cars on the highway when I could just nail it an instantly drop 1 or 2 gears and be gone. Now when running from a dead stop or on the track, things certainly turned out differently. My last 2 AMG cars could drop 1 or 2 gears faster than the latest generation of SMG equipped M3 which is a fast tranny.

G
#21 ·

If you're going to race around 50 mph, you NEED to be in second gear, not third. Third gear from around 75-80 mph.

Chris is going to nut his keyboard at this post. A maggied V no less.

#24 ·

10secvette said:
If you're going to race around 50 mph, you NEED to be in second gear, not third. Third gear from around 75-80 mph.

Chris is going to nut his keyboard at this post. A maggied V no less.
I figured that the time advantage I got from starting in 2nd gear would be negated by the time it takes me to shift from 2nd to 3rd.

#25 ·

I guess some owner didn't care for their SRT8. When I went to drop the V off at the dealership this morning to get Clear Bra done, they had a SRT8 sitting on the "Pre-Owned" lot. I wonder if I can talk them into letting me take it for a test drive.... ;)

#26 · (Edited)

When observing my car on the dyno, which has a LOT of runs of it, heat soak wasn't THAT much of an issue, so I'd probably pass on that idea.

My first question is the same I ask of all Maggie owners--do you have the 3.0" pulley or the 2.8"? If the 3.0", that is a good place to start.

If you have the 2.8" pulley, also make sure that you have the most recent tune from Magna. As others have stated, you will gain a substantial amount of rwhp/rwtq with a tune (probably in the neighborhood of 30-40 rwhp/tq). A V with a 2.8" pulley and a decent tune pretty much should have it's way with an SRT-8 without even trying hard. As a matter of fact, the driver would have to be woefully pathetic to lose that race.

These cars are extremely close when both are stock (although I think the V is harder to drag race). As such, when either car is modded, it's going to pretty much defeat the other.

And you guys suck--I drove my car for about 400 miles this weekend and couldn't find a SINGLE person driving a car that was "worthy," to say nothing about whether I could find someone to "play." I didn't think it was possible to run into 2,000 mini-vans/grocery-getters and not a single performance-based car, but I was woefully wrong...

And if Chris wants to get his SRT-8 out here in CA, I'll run with him at pretty much any speed. And if he beats me, at any speed, I will buy the round of beers (then again, I don't drink, so it will be for everyone else...) :lildevil:

And let's not spread "rumors" of how great maggie is. I love my maggie as much as the next guy, but, unless there is something else at play (i.e. water), there is pretty much no way that a V with a maggie (and no other substantial mods) is going to spin the tires to the extent that traction control comes on at 50+ mph in 3rd gear. I'm probably putting more rwhp/rwtq than most members on here and I couldn't come close to that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.