Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V How much does the 300C SRT8 weigh? Don't 'they' estimate that for every 100lbs you ...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V
    How much does the 300C SRT8 weigh? Don't 'they' estimate that for every 100lbs you need another 10whp to get you moving down the road?
    The SRT-8 is a PIG! 4,200 when fully laden with gas and a fat ass driver.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Ran across this today on a local forum:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...FC74A6AFE3.htm

381rwhp, corrected. The car is supposedly stock. I've met the owner once or twice. Maybe next time he's at a meet I'll see if I can get a ride. (Keep in mind that 14.5 is at 5400ft. track altitude.)

Original topic: http://racingsouthwest.com/forums/showtopic27323.htm

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    The SRT-8 is a PIG! 4,200 when fully laden with gas and a fat ass driver.
    You think THAT's a PIG? Naw..my 4500# Fleetwood is a PIG!
    IMO, this argument is getting old. I personally agree with Chris (I know, big surprise) but I understand both sides feelings on the subject. About the ONLY thing that could satisfy this argument is a back to back dyno session with both cars and I'm not sure anyone's done that yet. Maybe somebody will and the data will find it's way to this forum.

Vendetta-V- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven Black: 13.4 @ 107mph; !CAGS

The music ruined the video!!!

MCaesar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V-Max
    V's don't run for 30 minute segments or for an evening on the street like WRC/Street tuner cars do. They to spend most of the week running it's owner to work or picking up the kids. The owner is not going to spend time topping off the W/I or be keeping an eye on it.

WRC probably uses W/I due to high load where the cooling system does not have time to recover. Something V will not see picking up groceries. My C32 AMG with twin-screw Lyschom blower that had a water cooler intercooler would not see over 150F or the DME(PCM) would start to pull timing on the road course. And it was tied to the main cooling system as an overflow when the main system heated up and expanded.

Does the Predator tune start to pull timing at a certain IAT? What about Stealth's tune? A quick check would be to monitor it or after a spirited run to monitor return I/C hoses or the I/C itself.

Heat soak was not a problem at 50F on the highway, not unless Seatle CTS-V system is not operating properly.

But if a SRT-8 traps @ 109-110 and the V with Maggie @ 115 MPH, your not going to see a big difference in 50-90 MPH race.

Norm - '88 GT - soon to be V8.
    http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/iko...t=ST;f=9;t=261
    Yup, and be thankful that wasn't a blown SRT8 you were running against. They are running the high 11s

The Magnum is the slowest of the bunch. The Charger and 300C are evenly matched from the 1/4 mile times I've seen. The thing is though, a CTS-V will own any of the SRT-8's on a road course. It's just a fact. ESP doesn't let you get away with near what the CTS-V does in Competition Mode.
    Having driven both I can say that the V has more accurate steering and is better balanced for road courses. The SRT8 is easier to launch and more consistent. The SRT8 is slightly stronger over 130 and has a higher top speed. But if you are an expert at launching the V it should take the 1/4 mile.

A lot of it is taste - do you prefer more of a canyon road carver or an autobahn blaster?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvflorida
    One last thing, if I lose to a stock SRT8, of any kind, then my V is for sale! Don't worry, I won't be selling it! No disrespect to those cars as they are impressive but the automatic is sucking the H.P. from those cars. I almost got a charger srt8 and figure I can make the V go faster with minor bolt ons and turn a few screws, as opposed to a few bolt ons for the 8. So, a stock one will not win ever!
    If you are stock and you race enough you better be prepared to lose to a SRT8 at some point. And if you come across one with the GSM blowers kiss it goodbye

Luna,

No problem. You've continued with more personal attacks. And as I can see you've still not posted your facts regarding your experience with seeing "several dyno runs of SRT-8's and they were nowhere near 365 to 375." I've just posted 7 confirmed dyno runs at the numbers I quoted earlier. Please feel free to post yours.

I will not address any of your other attempts at baiting me into a personal battle as I've said before it's only the internet. And I'm afraid tonight you've done nothing to improve your reputation here you've only tarnished it. I'm not sure why you've decided to become so insensed by my posting facts to back up what I said earlier but this is the way adults conduct themselves. They start with a premise and then back it up with facts. My posts were not meant to inflame you just merely back up my statements. Again, I invite you to post any facts you have to back up your statements and cease with the personal attacks. Again you're embarrassing yourself.
    It is real easy to estimate.

The V and the SRT8 (Charger and 300 only) are clocked at within 1 tenth of each other in the 1/4 mile (best time of 13.1 for V and 13.2 for SRT8) and within 1 mph in speed. Now since the V weighs ~400 pounds less and has a stick that should tell you the 6.1 hemi puts out significantly more power than the LS2. GM does not overrate their engines so chances are the 6.1 hemi is slightly underrated. They may have even done that so it could match the legendary 426 hemi's rated output of 425HP. The old hemi itself was underrated also because they rated its HP at 5,000 RPM but true power was at 6,000.

Quote Originally Posted by MCaesar
    Having driven both I can say that the V has more accurate steering and is better balanced for road courses. The SRT8 is easier to launch and more consistent. The SRT8 is slightly stronger over 130 and has a higher top speed. But if you are an expert at launching the V it should take the 1/4 mile.

A lot of it is taste - do you prefer more of a canyon road carver or an autobahn blaster?
    There are few "experts" at launching the V. That's why we all complained early on about the GM advertised 0-60 times of 4.6 seconds that none of us could match. To hit the advertised 0-60 times of the CTS-V takes a VERY skilled driver. To hit the advertised 0-60 times of the SRT-8 takes an occupant. It's a blessing and a curse. I'll let you figure out which one is which.

Quote Originally Posted by MCaesar
    It is real easy to estimate.

The V and the SRT8 (Charger and 300 only) are clocked at within 1 tenth of each other in the 1/4 mile (best time of 13.1 for V and 13.2 for SRT8) and within 1 mph in speed. Now since the V weighs ~400 pounds less and has a stick that should tell you the 6.1 hemi puts out significantly more power than the LS2. GM does not overrate their engines so chances are the 6.1 hemi is slightly underrated. They may have even done that so it could match the legendary 426 hemi's rated output of 425HP. The old hemi itself was underrated also because they rated its HP at 5,000 RPM but true power was at 6,000.
    LS6 equipped CTS-V = 305-330 rwhp (multiple dyno's)
    LS2 equipped CTS-V = 330 (I've only seen 1 dyno posted)
    6.1L Hemi SRT-8's = 355 - 387 rwhp (multiple dyno's)

It would seem that the SRT-8 has an average of 53.5 more rwhp, but needs it do to it's heft.

marnepup is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To hit the advertised 0-60 times of the CTS-V takes a VERY skilled driver. To hit the advertised 0-60 times of the SRT-8 takes an occupant.
    Classic! And I'll be the first to admit that's one reason I chose the 8 ($$$-I refuse to pay thousands extra for an emblem-and looks-to each his own- are the other two)

But as far as the difference in handling goes...I have to suspect that you're comparing the "half off" (hit the ESP OFF button) mode on the 8 versus the "all the way off" mode on the V. Not everyone knows (and the dealer certainly won't tell you!) that there's a third mode (hold ESP OFF for like 7-8 seconds, you'll hear a chime) that can't be more intrusive than the "Competition mode" or whatever it's called on the V. Perhaps the V will still handle better (dunno, never driven one...anyone offering?), but the margin will be such that only Tony Stewart would notice.

marnepup,

I recognize you from the 300C forums. I know about the 7 second hold on the ESP system and I've engaged it frequently. The CTS-V's traction and stability control system in "competitive mode" is much more forgiving than ESP. I can tell you I've literally had the V sideways in competition mode but still under control and the electronic nanny doesn't stop any of the fun. Throw the SRT-8 sideways in any of the ESP modes and you will feel the system apply the brakes.

I shouldn't admit this but here goes. I could sustain a 200 foot, zig zagging burnout in the V in competition mode. You can't come anywhere near that in the SRT-8. Why would that tell you anything? It's just an example of where each electronic system decides to step in to correct you. I guess you can always pull FUSE 17 in the SRT-8, but I actually like the idea of a last resort should I get totally out of control and need help pulling the car back in line. Only happened once, but once is enough.

marnepup is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Okay. Like I said, I've never driven a V. I respect the wisdom you've gained from owning both cars. However, I fail to see how a "less restrictive nanny" translates into "better handling"...zigzag burnouts and being perpendicular to the track don't win races, as fun as they might be. Can we agree that "competitive mode" is less restrictive without calling it better? Unless, of course, "more fun" is your definition of better

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i think this is the only such thread needed.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread

I just hope that none of you are anywhere near any of my friends or family out on the roads when driving like that. I've done plenty stupid stuff over the years on the road and "usually" got away without hurting myself or anyone else but these cars are really allowing guys to push WAY beyond any kind of sane limits on the road. The one drive I had in a CTS-V and SRT-8 confirmed to me that the cars are capable of WAY more than should be done on a public roadway. Try to be safe guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.