Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V I figured that the time advantage I got from starting in 2nd gear would be ...
    trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V
    I figured that the time advantage I got from starting in 2nd gear would be negated by the time it takes me to shift from 2nd to 3rd.

Why switch to fourth, when running up to 90? Is it screaming in 3rd at 90? YES, but you don't need to shift if you stopped there.

65-135 our cars are really in their 'happy place'. Work on that shifting

Sounds like you had some fun though.

Enjoy,

Chris

obzidian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I dont think you should all that upset. I have raced a few times and was left wondering if my car is as fast as i think it is.

Well, it is!!! Its traps 108-109 stock, so that is quite fast on the street.

Look, two nights ago, i buddy of my had his uncles c6 for some cruising. After dropping of the miss', actually, he's dating my gf sister...

anyways, we were having sme, fun and decided to line them up. With MY BALD runflats, whites showing, we hit it thorugh third gear. Top of first we're almost even, him up by a fender. Top second, him up by half a car. Top of third and he was up to a car. So if the c6 traps a 12.4 stock, i would say that my car would run a 12.6-12.8 compared to what we experienced.

We were both very surprised actually!! I knew i would loose but not like this....really helped me out with the confidence a bit. I think my car would only need a few bolt on's and a good tune and that c6 aint going anywhere!!!!

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett
    please dont give CVP any amo... we may all "respect" the SRT8, but pretend like you despise it for CVP's sake please..

Hee hee..

Reed
    Now that was good. BTW, why'd my thread get locked. I think I know the answer but feel free to PM me. It had obviously run it's course and I was on borrowed time anyhow.

As for the race. The SRT-8 can hold 2nd gear at 50 mph and pulls like a beast from there up. There are some real crappy mph's that the tranny won't downshift from but I'm certainly not going to share that info with the enemy!

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvflorida
    CIWS: What srt8 was there for sale? Charger? I can tell you that I drove the magnum 8 and it did not impress me!
    Yeah it's a Magnum. I gave it a slow drive by as I left the dealership picking my car up. Cute little wing on the back

The Magnum is the slowest of the bunch. The Charger and 300C are evenly matched from the 1/4 mile times I've seen. The thing is though, a CTS-V will own any of the SRT-8's on a road course. It's just a fact. ESP doesn't let you get away with near what the CTS-V does in Competition Mode.

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by obzidian
    I dont think you should all that upset. I have raced a few times and was left wondering if my car is as fast as i think it is.

Well, it is!!! Its traps 108-109 stock, so that is quite fast on the street.

Look, two nights ago, i buddy of my had his uncles c6 for some cruising. After dropping of the miss', actually, he's dating my gf sister...

anyways, we were having sme, fun and decided to line them up. With MY BALD runflats, whites showing, we hit it thorugh third gear. Top of first we're almost even, him up by a fender. Top second, him up by half a car. Top of third and he was up to a car. So if the c6 traps a 12.4 stock, i would say that my car would run a 12.6-12.8 compared to what we experienced.

We were both very surprised actually!! I knew i would loose but not like this....really helped me out with the confidence a bit. I think my car would only need a few bolt on's and a good tune and that c6 aint going anywhere!!!!
    If you are talking about a c6 base car and not a ZO6 then it is not even close to 12.4's! They go like 12.80's with a stick and an auto. goes 13.20's on a good day! Unfortunately I won't be finding many races here in my new boring town of Ocala, but I did have a yellow GTO next to me the other night and I still couldn't get a run!

One last thing, if I lose to a stock SRT8, of any kind, then my V is for sale! Don't worry, I won't be selling it! No disrespect to those cars as they are impressive but the automatic is sucking the H.P. from those cars. I almost got a charger srt8 and figure I can make the V go faster with minor bolt ons and turn a few screws, as opposed to a few bolt ons for the 8. So, a stock one will not win ever!

[quote=ctsvflorida]No disrespect to those cars as they are impressive but the automatic is sucking the H.P. from those cars. quote]

You are sadly mistaken. Stock SRT-8's are dyno-ing at 365 to 375 RWHP vs. 315 to 330 for the CTS-V's. Which one do you think is losing more HP? My offer still stands BTW. Any stock CTS-V that wants to run me from a dig please PM me. You will lose and that's a fact. Road course, you'll smoke me. Handily I might add, but 1/4 mile from a dig you are truly screwed.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Luna -

You are correct - there is some misinformation floating around here. 2.6" pulley and the only time 3rd gear traction is lost is in extreme cold or a serious powershift 2-3 (dangerous, very dangerous, easy gear to miss). Now, there was this one time in a long sweeper at the top of 3rd gear - but shit... (<---------my pants)

The "updated" tune is - I can verify it as can StealthV. We've compared them. Strangely enough, Magnuson's "updated" tune seems to have some similarities (but not all of them, and they're missing some key pieces) to another, VERY GOOD tune available to each of us. So, I ran it for a couple of days - might flash it back in this week for the 02 police, but will stick with the Stealth option on my V

mrnextel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V
    Not really a proper race, per se, but I ran into a gorgeous black SRT8 today on the highway. He was in the 'slow' right lane just cruisin and I gently passed him on the left going the speed of adjacent traffic. About 4 car lengths past him I see him jump out from behind a car into my lane and approach my tail really, really fast. I immediately slammed the whine pedal just to show him I might wanna play given the chance. He switched back to the slow lane and comes up on my right. I rolled down my window and gave him props for having such a gorgeous car. We slowed down to 50ish and I yelled out 1,2,3 out my window and punched it from 3rd gear. We raced up to maybe 90mph or so and I had barely put 1 car on him. The thing that sucked was he immediately got off the exit ramp b/f we could even rematch. I honestly don't know who would have won if we had had more room and time to play.

Now here's the thing that sux...I'm maggied. I'm assuming he was bone stock. I'm not the best shifter in the world but I only had to shift from 3rd to 4th. I feel it shouldn't have been so close from a roll. I think I need to dyno my car to see if it's putting the power to the ground that it should. Maybe the race was just too short to let Maggie show her stuff but I'm a little disappointed right now.
    AMAZING!!!!

AND THE SRT8 IS A CONSIDERABLY LARGER CAR, MY SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM= "BUY AN SRT8!"

Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnextel
    AMAZING!!!!

AND THE SRT8 IS A CONSIDERABLY LARGER CAR, MY SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM= "BUY AN SRT8!"
    Thanks for posting. Now go somewhere else!

[quote=CVP33]
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsvflorida
    No disrespect to those cars as they are impressive but the automatic is sucking the H.P. from those cars. quote]

You are sadly mistaken. Stock SRT-8's are dyno-ing at 365 to 375 RWHP vs. 315 to 330 for the CTS-V's. Which one do you think is losing more HP? My offer still stands BTW. Any stock CTS-V that wants to run me from a dig please PM me. You will lose and that's a fact. Road course, you'll smoke me. Handily I might add, but 1/4 mile from a dig you are truly screwed.

If they are dynoing at that HP then that is impressive, very impressive! I am not much into computer racing but have raced on the street way too much, coming from route 231 Deer Park Ave on L.I. and only race from a dig. Unless of course, I just see someone out and we mess around a bit! I have pretty much mastered the dig in the street and I do not need anything more than an F1 as these V's are not breaking any smoke show records. Once they are rolling, there's not much spin! At any rate, my car is not completely stock so there goes that even if the miracle did happen! So, aside from a dig, I am sure they pull well from 50 mph too! No? I will find one sooner or later and see what happens! It is a cool car and I would love to see one go real fast. BTW, what could the gas mileage be for that monster! Well, I will let you know when I find one and you be sure to let me know when you find a V out there!

Mileage is exactly the same as the V. 13 to 15 when you're driving it properly and about 23 when you're on the highway. The numbers I quoted for RWHP are fact. So either the SRT is under-rated (could be), the V is over-rated (doubt it) or the SRT has a highly efficient automatic transmission derived from the Mercedes parts bin. (highly likely).

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Mileage is exactly the same as the V. 13 to 15 when you're driving it properly and about 23 when you're on the highway. The numbers I quoted for RWHP are fact. So either the SRT is under-rated (could be), the V is over-rated (doubt it) or the SRT has a highly efficient automatic transmission derived from the Mercedes parts bin. (highly likely).
    FYI...

I've seen several dyno runs of SRT-8s and they were nowhere near 365-375 rwhp. The ones I saw were around 340-350.

Further, E55 transmissions are estimated to lose about 19%, which is more than what most consider reasonable for a CTS-V (~15%). This appears reasonable, as, unless my understanding is incorrect, a manual pretty much HAS to lose less than an automatic transmission with a torque converter.

Local SRT-8 Magnum dyno'd at 370 rwhp. Added CAI for 381 rwhp and topped that off with a Magna Flow exhaust for 394 rwhp. Dyno shop did not install the parts so nothing to gain there.

Maybe my math is off but CTS-V's are dyno-ing at 320 rwhp with 400 SAE. That's a 20% parasitic loss. The SRT's are dyno-ing at 365 rwhp with 425 SAE. That's a 14% parasitic loss. I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Please help me understand.

P.S. I'm off to get you some links for the 365-375 rwhp dyno's. I've already searched for the CTS-V's and found plenty in the 313 - 330 range.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.