Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Damn those SRT8's are quick....the one and only V vs SRT8 thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by V-Max That is just engineering around the problem. The V is not a street tuner car. If ...
    ace996 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Lemon Law'd '05 V

Re: Damn those SRT8's are quick!

Quote Originally Posted by V-Max
    That is just engineering around the problem. The V is not a street tuner car. If heat soak is a problem, then the intercooler needs to be addressed.
    I won't argue with you on that, but it seems to work fine for the WRC cars...they all use water injection. And short of bolting up a radiator-sized intercooler, it's not gonna happen. The location of the heat-exchanger under the maggie is not optimal, not much one can do to keep it isolated from engine heat.

And the GTO kit has an even smaller heat-exchanger under the maggie...one would probably be better off leaving the intercooler off and just install the W/I.

Hey, if W/I can bring intake temps from 180* to under 100* in under a second, its not a bad thing. And it works in traffic, where no intercooler is going to do it's job well. Also, should one mix in meth or alky then octane is bumped-up considerably(a good thing that no intercooler is able to accomplish)...some Vette guys have added 50-75hp with proper tuning....again, not a bad thing.

W/I = Chemical Intercooling

And the V not being a street tuner car? I don't understand that...W/I is street-tuner??? That some sort of "Australian-Iron" closed-minded flame on W/I??? It's not a drag car either, hasn't stopped others from going down that strip...

-ace

Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

The V is not a street tuner car.
    Not really sure what you mean by this?? Am I just wasting time and money on modding my LS6-driven luxo-cruiser?

GT04CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): No GET-RAG or GM products

Get a decent tune and make sure you check your boost. With the 3.0" pulley I was running 4 lbs boost. With the 2.8" pulley, boost increased to 6 lbs.

GT

V-Max Guest

V's don't run for 30 minute segments or for an evening on the street like WRC/Street tuner cars do. They to spend most of the week running it's owner to work or picking up the kids. The owner is not going to spend time topping off the W/I or be keeping an eye on it.

WRC probably uses W/I due to high load where the cooling system does not have time to recover. Something V will not see picking up groceries. My C32 AMG with twin-screw Lyschom blower that had a water cooler intercooler would not see over 150F or the DME(PCM) would start to pull timing on the road course. And it was tied to the main cooling system as an overflow when the main system heated up and expanded.

Does the Predator tune start to pull timing at a certain IAT? What about Stealth's tune? A quick check would be to monitor it or after a spirited run to monitor return I/C hoses or the I/C itself.

Heat soak was not a problem at 50F on the highway, not unless Seatle CTS-V system is not operating properly.

But if a SRT-8 traps @ 109-110 and the V with Maggie @ 115 MPH, your not going to see a big difference in 50-90 MPH race.

Norm - '88 GT - soon to be V8.
    http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/iko...t=ST;f=9;t=261

Blacksport350 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

He was probably selected 2nd gear and when you hit with an idle torque converter in a modern car they shoot off like a bat out of hell because of the torque spike. I used have a supercharged 3800 Regal GS with a reporgrammed PCM(and smaller pulley) that could be violent if you were cruising at 40 MPH in first as the shift to 2nd was 52 MPH.

Torque spike on the dyno could see 30-50 ft-lbs.

Norm - who needs another V8 car!
    http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/iko...=9;t=261;st=90
    The SRT-8 is nothing more than a dumbed down AMG Benz. Having owned 3 AMG cars, I can tell you that the AMG Sppedshift tranny gives an unfair advantage from a roll. I have taken many faster cars on the highway when I could just nail it an instantly drop 1 or 2 gears and be gone. Now when running from a dead stop or on the track, things certainly turned out differently. My last 2 AMG cars could drop 1 or 2 gears faster than the latest generation of SMG equipped M3 which is a fast tranny.

10secvette is offline Banned

If you're going to race around 50 mph, you NEED to be in second gear, not third. Third gear from around 75-80 mph.

Chris is going to nut his keyboard at this post. A maggied V no less.

Good luck with second gear at 50 = zero traction -

GT

10secvette is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GT04CTS-V
    Good luck with second gear at 50 = zero traction -

GT
    Try rolling into the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by 10secvette
    If you're going to race around 50 mph, you NEED to be in second gear, not third. Third gear from around 75-80 mph.

Chris is going to nut his keyboard at this post. A maggied V no less.
    I figured that the time advantage I got from starting in 2nd gear would be negated by the time it takes me to shift from 2nd to 3rd.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I guess some owner didn't care for their SRT8. When I went to drop the V off at the dealership this morning to get Clear Bra done, they had a SRT8 sitting on the "Pre-Owned" lot. I wonder if I can talk them into letting me take it for a test drive....

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

When observing my car on the dyno, which has a LOT of runs of it, heat soak wasn't THAT much of an issue, so I'd probably pass on that idea.

My first question is the same I ask of all Maggie owners--do you have the 3.0" pulley or the 2.8"? If the 3.0", that is a good place to start.

If you have the 2.8" pulley, also make sure that you have the most recent tune from Magna. As others have stated, you will gain a substantial amount of rwhp/rwtq with a tune (probably in the neighborhood of 30-40 rwhp/tq). A V with a 2.8" pulley and a decent tune pretty much should have it's way with an SRT-8 without even trying hard. As a matter of fact, the driver would have to be woefully pathetic to lose that race.

These cars are extremely close when both are stock (although I think the V is harder to drag race). As such, when either car is modded, it's going to pretty much defeat the other.

And you guys suck--I drove my car for about 400 miles this weekend and couldn't find a SINGLE person driving a car that was "worthy," to say nothing about whether I could find someone to "play." I didn't think it was possible to run into 2,000 mini-vans/grocery-getters and not a single performance-based car, but I was woefully wrong...

And if Chris wants to get his SRT-8 out here in CA, I'll run with him at pretty much any speed. And if he beats me, at any speed, I will buy the round of beers (then again, I don't drink, so it will be for everyone else...)

And let's not spread "rumors" of how great maggie is. I love my maggie as much as the next guy, but, unless there is something else at play (i.e. water), there is pretty much no way that a V with a maggie (and no other substantial mods) is going to spin the tires to the extent that traction control comes on at 50+ mph in 3rd gear. I'm probably putting more rwhp/rwtq than most members on here and I couldn't come close to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Luna.
    When observing my car on the dyno, which has a LOT of runs of it, heat soak wasn't THAT much of an issue, so I'd probably pass on that idea.

My first question is the same I ask of all Maggie owners--do you have the 3.0" pulley or the 2.8"? If the 3.0", that is a good place to start.

If you have the 2.8" pulley, also make sure that you have the most recent tune from Magna. As others have stated, you will gain a substantial amount of rwhp/rwtq with a tune (probably in the neighborhood of 30-40 rwhp/tq). A V with a 2.8" pulley and a decent tune pretty much should have it's way with an SRT-8 without even trying hard. As a matter of fact, the driver would have to be woefully pathetic to lose that race.

These cars are extremely close when both are stock (although I think the V is harder to drag race). As such, when either car is modded, it's going to pretty much defeat the other.

And you guys suck--I drove my car for about 400 miles this weekend and couldn't find a SINGLE person driving a car that was "worthy," to say nothing about whether I could find someone to "play."

And if Chris wants to get his SRT-8 out here in CA, I'll run with him at pretty much any speed. And if he beats me, at any speed, I will buy the round of beers (then again, I don't drink, so it will be for everyone else...)

And let's not spread "rumors" of how great maggie is. I love my maggie as much as the next guy, but, unless there is something else at play (i.e. water), there is pretty much no way that a V with a maggie (and no other substantial mods) is going to spin the tires to the extent that traction control comes on at 50+ mph in 3rd gear. I'm probably putting more rwhp/rwtq than most members on here and I couldn't come close to that...
    I definitely have the 2.8" pulley, but not sure about the 'updated' tune. As far as spinning the tires, I think we were saying we could spin them in the top of 2nd gear @ 50, not while rolling in 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna.

You gotta remember that cold F1's suck for traction. Here in MD, with cold roads I have no problem spinning the tires when I punch it in Third. Traction control immediately kicks in. Oh yeah, I have witnesses :-}

Currently, here in MD it's 82 degrees, no spinning in third today !

GT

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

I was informed directly from Magna that they had a "new" tune for the 2.8" pulley. Now "new" was many months ago, so it might not be "new" anymore, but there was a definite upgrade to their "old" tune. Being that many Maggie units seem to still be sold with the 3.0" pulley, it wouldn't shock me if the "old" tune was still going out the door is why I make that statement.

And I will try and spin my tires in 2nd at 50mph today at lunch. That isn't an easy thing to do either...

EDIT--lol--okay, very cold weather would be one of those "exceptions" in my mind, but yeah, in that situation, spinning your tires in 3rd gear wouldn't be that hard. I could spin the crap out of them in 4th gear sometimes if the weather/wetness was right

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

CIWS: What srt8 was there for sale? Charger? I can tell you that I drove the magnum 8 and it did not impress me! I can say that, a magnum, which may be a bit heavier, could not beat my car...ever with minimal things done! The computer is on it's way to Rick at Stealth V and we will see what it is like after that! I looked into the tuning quite a bit and came up with Rick as the most reputable tuner, from long distance at least, and after chatting with him a few times I would say he is the guy for our cars no matter where you are from! He has done it, been there and back and knows this motor and cars as good as anyone. The people who know the most are people who have been there, hands on for themselves! My guess is that I will be quite impressed with his tuning and I do all things to my car myself as nobody can do it like YOU!

Anyway, I would like to know which car that is for sale there and they will DEFINITELY let you drive it! Give them a story about shifting all the time and rear etc. They will want you to drive more than you want to drive it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.