1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've always loved the 90-92 Broughams, and I like the 93-96's even though they lack some of the features of ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!!

I've always loved the 90-92 Broughams, and I like the 93-96's even though they lack some of the features of the Town Cars, and generally, they seemed older and less modern than the Town Cars. Anyways, I would definetly love to purchase a 90-92 Brougham D'Elegance, just as long as it didnt have the 307. And I suppose if I found a nice LT1 FWB in the colors I like, I may consider purchasing it.

Anyways, what are your dislikes and likes with this bodystyle? (from your own experience please!)

Other than the power difference, are there any other big differences between the 90-92 model and 94-96's other than the looks and interior?

Has anyone owned a 90-97 Town Car and a 90-96 Brougham? Can you tell me the biggest differences in the way they drive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!!

FDC, I miss it. The simplicity of the Fleetwood doesn't really warrant it, but I miss it. It was fun to play with, as well as all the A/D's that I could monitor while I drove was very helpful in learning the car and the DFI system.

Yeah I know I would miss that FDC and diagnostic mode if I ever got the Brougham. The Broughams just have the Speedo and gas guage, which I think is really dumb for 1995, if it was 1976, it would be different, but I think it should atleast have speedo, tach, gas and temp guage.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

If you REALLY gotta see all that stuff, buy a cheap scan tool.
    To be honest, I've rarely used the OBD display on the cars. Too hard to use and very cryptic. The scan tool gives you everything in plain english more or less, and expands on what's available to you.
    As for the cadillacowners question, IMO, in most cases other than the rather large difference in power, the T/C is generally a more comfortable car to drive. Hell, the engine's damn near the ONLY reason I have my '95 Fleetwood. If it didn't have the LT1, it wouldn't be in my garage. Face it, they are rather slim on technical goodies, have no interior storage space, and aren't REALLY well designed or put together. What they DO offer is a whole lot of interior room and trunk space, relatively good gas mileage, and a basic drivetrain that will last forever. And let's not forget about that POWER!
    If all I wanted was a comfortable full-size American luxury car, and don't care at all about power, I'd suggest the '90-'91 Brougham, or if you need/want newer, the '97-up Lincoln T/C.

I guess I would have to see that to believe it. SOHC 4.6L's haven't impressed me much at all....

The Ford V8's seem more focused on fuel economy than performance. I've read many reviews on edmunds.com where people will get 29-30 MPG on the freeway in their 4.6 Town Cars, where as 26 is about the best you'll ever get in a LT1 FWB. Around town, 15-16 is about average for a 350 powered FWB, where as I've read many reviews where people will get 18-20 around town in their Town Cars.

That being said, a Town Car with the 210hp 4.6 is about as quick as the L05 350 powered Broughams.

I would tend to agree, that sounds about what I would expect. The L05 being stronger out of the hole likley, the 4.6L stronger on top.

Economy primarily due to lack of inches. But likely you wouldn't want to tow much at all with a 4.6L compared to the L05 or LT1.

Yeah IIRC, the Town Car's towing capacity is like 3000 lbs...same as my '92 deVille.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792

That being said, a Town Car with the 210hp 4.6 is about as quick as the L05 350 powered Broughams.
    Actually it's not. I've driven a Town Car many times and the first thing you notice when you drive the Cadillac after is that it's faster. If you're going to start comparing Town Cars to Broughams or Fleetwoods do a search for it because there are already a bunch of really good posts about it. Katshot's seen them before.

Hey I'm just going off 1/4 mile times... They both run a 17.1 as quoted on www.car-stats.com

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    If you REALLY gotta see all that stuff, buy a cheap scan tool.
    To be honest, I've rarely used the OBD display on the cars. Too hard to use and very cryptic. The scan tool gives you everything in plain english more or less, and expands on what's available to you.
    As for the lincolnforums.com question, IMO, in most cases other than the rather large difference in power, the T/C is generally a more comfortable car to drive. Hell, the engine's damn near the ONLY reason I have my '95 Fleetwood. If it didn't have the LT1, it wouldn't be in my garage. Face it, they are rather slim on technical goodies, have no interior storage space, and aren't REALLY well designed or put together. What they DO offer is a whole lot of interior room and trunk space, relatively good gas mileage, and a basic drivetrain that will last forever. And let's not forget about that POWER!
    If all I wanted was a comfortable full-size American luxury car, and don't care at all about power, I'd suggest the '90-'91 Brougham, or if you need/want newer, the '97-up Lincoln T/C.
    PERFECT way to sum it all up. None of the Fleetwoods/Broughams, were ever extraordinary in terms of build quality or features (and that's talking about both the "old" and "new" models). Like, for instance, none really had that "tank/carved from one solid piece of metal" feel, despite the weight and size, and a lot of the trim can be pretty easily...so you do have to be a bit more gentle on them sometimes than the size and weight must suggest.

But, there is still something very likeable about them. For me I think it's because I used to see them once in a rare while and always thing "president's car" or just that someone very important was driving, and that always seemed true. So, I definately love the styling, outside and inside. As far as features, yes, they're lacking and I'm a really "techy" person usually, but I never miss anything when I'm in either Fleetwood...I have a nice sounding stock stereo, terrific seat and leg room, a trunk I could fit a VW in, and very respectable levels of power and general performance. I can outrun (at least seemingly) a lot of people, even with the '93...and there's something very cool about that, especially in bone stock/whitewall/granny form, that something like a stock TC would probably never do.

I respect TC's, due to the fact that Ford continues to build them "in the classic way" still to this day, and actually really like the looks and features of the newest models, but am not so crazy about the early to mid 90's box ones. They're nice, granted, but so common and lack any real standout feature, that I'd still rather have a Fleetwood.

No offense to a Deville driver, but those just always fall into my category of "couldn't ever bring myself to drive one" deals. Not a huge fan of the smaller size or the styling, and really dislike the FWD, but that's just me. I would, however, take a new '06 DTS if someone gave it to me...

Now, if my '95 ever gets out of the shop, I might be even a little more overjoyed...I actually still make fun of it, and GM in general all the time, but still love the be-jeebers out of these cars.

Strangely though, I wonder why I've seen so many lately...ever since I bought mine, I've seen at least one a day back here in Delaware, compared to usually only randomly seeing one or two a month...

1990CaddyBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB

I have owned 15 Town cars from 90-96
    13 were resold, 2 were my personal cars.
    I have 2 in my immedate family, 4 in the rest.

Last one i drove was my 1996 Town Car Signature. Has 72k Factory Tow Package, and the rare traction control. It was well loaded. Black with tinted windows, chrome wheels.. all the trim. I love the car to death. ALOT faster then the cadillac.. that is one thing i miss. And its alot quiter. But since i was about 4-5 i use to pass a guys house and see the exact same Caddy.. white with all the white trim. Always wanted one. Drove the town car for about 9 months.. ran into some common problems, fixed them then got tired of it, especially the black color. It was a hot car, but black was to hard to maintain. The ride was superior soft. Loved the air ride. Its i nicer to drive then my cadillac atleast.. but the cadillac was a car i loved for its looks. Its more me. All the chrome and stainless.. That is what i grew up on form my dad. THats why i have all the trim on any car.. and why i have a 57 Chevy.
    This is my Town Car

My Cadillac

Likes and Dislikes.
    I like the cloth in my Cadillac, even though its base model. Thats waht i wanted, i dont like the leather in the cold.
    The town car was more modern i think...
    Town Car had a moon roof. though was avalible for the Caddy.
    Power was far more better in the Town Car
    Ride was quieter and smoother.
    Cadillac is more classy..

Never drove a 5.7 90-92 Borugham. I would like to, see what power i may be missing. If it is nice like the Town Car then i would probably sell my Cadillac and look fo ra nice 5.7, id want one with a roof, and a DEleagance with velor. White, Blue, Burgandy... dont care for many others.
    Or I will probably go back to the town Car. a 98 Bodyslye Cartier. Top of the line. with all the trim.

I have my Town Car to sell, wich should bring $5000 and if i sold my Cadillac i would think i would get 3-5000?

We will see. Thing i REALLY hate about the Brougham.... The Gas Miles. I got 18 city in the Town Car.... up to 28 once highway. I couldnt touch 18 on Highway with the Brougham.. and i drive VERY easy.

Ah yes I was waiting for you to chime in on this!

So in general you like the Town Cars more?

1990CaddyBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB

Id say so. More powerful (though i say this without driving a 5.7. The 5.7 93+ Broughams are probably as fast.. but this 307 I got is slow. And if i try to go fast, the gas gadge goes along w/ it.

I shoud drive a 5.7 90-92, and a 5.7 newer style. Then judge.

If i were to get another town Car (after i sell my last one..) i would want this car.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Linco...spagenameZWDVW
    I like the Caddy.. but i dont think it will last forever. Im 17... I like cars... so i am meant to change cars often. Id also take a 96 Impala SS...

Yeah dude I hear that, I drove a '90 D'Elegance with the 307 and it was a dog. A total and absolute dog, but the choke on that one was stuck so that may have hurt it also, either way, I would never buy a 307 as a daily driver car, now if i was to rip out the engine and hot rod it, then I would definetly go with the Brougham, and it wouldnt matter the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.