Cadillac Owners Forum banner
20K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  SDCaddyLacky 
#1 ·
I've always loved the 90-92 Broughams, and I like the 93-96's even though they lack some of the features of the Town Cars, and generally, they seemed older and less modern than the Town Cars. Anyways, I would definetly love to purchase a 90-92 Brougham D'Elegance, just as long as it didnt have the 307. And I suppose if I found a nice LT1 FWB in the colors I like, I may consider purchasing it.

Anyways, what are your dislikes and likes with this bodystyle? (from your own experience please!)

Other than the power difference, are there any other big differences between the 90-92 model and 94-96's other than the looks and interior?

Has anyone owned a 90-97 Town Car and a 90-96 Brougham? Can you tell me the biggest differences in the way they drive?

#2 ·
FDC, I miss it. The simplicity of the Fleetwood doesn't really warrant it, but I miss it. It was fun to play with, as well as all the A/D's that I could monitor while I drove was very helpful in learning the car and the DFI system.

#3 ·
Yeah I know I would miss that FDC and diagnostic mode if I ever got the Brougham. The Broughams just have the Speedo and gas guage, which I think is really dumb for 1995, if it was 1976, it would be different, but I think it should atleast have speedo, tach, gas and temp guage.

#4 ·
If you REALLY gotta see all that stuff, buy a cheap scan tool.
To be honest, I've rarely used the OBD display on the cars. Too hard to use and very cryptic. The scan tool gives you everything in plain english more or less, and expands on what's available to you.
As for the ******************** question, IMO, in most cases other than the rather large difference in power, the T/C is generally a more comfortable car to drive. Hell, the engine's damn near the ONLY reason I have my '95 Fleetwood. If it didn't have the LT1, it wouldn't be in my garage. Face it, they are rather slim on technical goodies, have no interior storage space, and aren't REALLY well designed or put together. What they DO offer is a whole lot of interior room and trunk space, relatively good gas mileage, and a basic drivetrain that will last forever. And let's not forget about that POWER!
If all I wanted was a comfortable full-size American luxury car, and don't care at all about power, I'd suggest the '90-'91 Brougham, or if you need/want newer, the '97-up Lincoln T/C.

#5 ·
I guess I would have to see that to believe it. SOHC 4.6L's haven't impressed me much at all....

#6 ·
The Ford V8's seem more focused on fuel economy than performance. I've read many reviews on edmunds.com where people will get 29-30 MPG on the freeway in their 4.6 Town Cars, where as 26 is about the best you'll ever get in a LT1 FWB. Around town, 15-16 is about average for a 350 powered FWB, where as I've read many reviews where people will get 18-20 around town in their Town Cars.

That being said, a Town Car with the 210hp 4.6 is about as quick as the L05 350 powered Broughams.

#7 ·
I would tend to agree, that sounds about what I would expect. The L05 being stronger out of the hole likley, the 4.6L stronger on top.

Economy primarily due to lack of inches. But likely you wouldn't want to tow much at all with a 4.6L compared to the L05 or LT1.

#8 ·
Yeah IIRC, the Town Car's towing capacity is like 3000 lbs...same as my '92 deVille.

#9 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
That being said, a Town Car with the 210hp 4.6 is about as quick as the L05 350 powered Broughams.
Actually it's not. I've driven a Town Car many times and the first thing you notice when you drive the Cadillac after is that it's faster. If you're going to start comparing Town Cars to Broughams or Fleetwoods do a search for it because there are already a bunch of really good posts about it. Katshot's seen them before.

#10 ·
Hey I'm just going off 1/4 mile times... They both run a 17.1 as quoted on www.car-stats.com

#11 ·
Katshot said:
If you REALLY gotta see all that stuff, buy a cheap scan tool.
To be honest, I've rarely used the OBD display on the cars. Too hard to use and very cryptic. The scan tool gives you everything in plain english more or less, and expands on what's available to you.
As for the lincolnforums.com question, IMO, in most cases other than the rather large difference in power, the T/C is generally a more comfortable car to drive. Hell, the engine's damn near the ONLY reason I have my '95 Fleetwood. If it didn't have the LT1, it wouldn't be in my garage. Face it, they are rather slim on technical goodies, have no interior storage space, and aren't REALLY well designed or put together. What they DO offer is a whole lot of interior room and trunk space, relatively good gas mileage, and a basic drivetrain that will last forever. And let's not forget about that POWER!
If all I wanted was a comfortable full-size American luxury car, and don't care at all about power, I'd suggest the '90-'91 Brougham, or if you need/want newer, the '97-up Lincoln T/C.
PERFECT way to sum it all up. None of the Fleetwoods/Broughams, were ever extraordinary in terms of build quality or features (and that's talking about both the "old" and "new" models). Like, for instance, none really had that "tank/carved from one solid piece of metal" feel, despite the weight and size, and a lot of the trim can be pretty easily...so you do have to be a bit more gentle on them sometimes than the size and weight must suggest.

But, there is still something very likeable about them. For me I think it's because I used to see them once in a rare while and always thing "president's car" or just that someone very important was driving, and that always seemed true. So, I definately love the styling, outside and inside. As far as features, yes, they're lacking and I'm a really "techy" person usually, but I never miss anything when I'm in either Fleetwood...I have a nice sounding stock stereo, terrific seat and leg room, a trunk I could fit a VW in, and very respectable levels of power and general performance. I can outrun (at least seemingly) a lot of people, even with the '93...and there's something very cool about that, especially in bone stock/whitewall/granny form, that something like a stock TC would probably never do.

I respect TC's, due to the fact that Ford continues to build them "in the classic way" still to this day, and actually really like the looks and features of the newest models, but am not so crazy about the early to mid 90's box ones. They're nice, granted, but so common and lack any real standout feature, that I'd still rather have a Fleetwood.

No offense to a Deville driver, but those just always fall into my category of "couldn't ever bring myself to drive one" deals. Not a huge fan of the smaller size or the styling, and really dislike the FWD, but that's just me. I would, however, take a new '06 DTS if someone gave it to me...

Now, if my '95 ever gets out of the shop, I might be even a little more overjoyed...I actually still make fun of it, and GM in general all the time, but still love the be-jeebers out of these cars.

Strangely though, I wonder why I've seen so many lately...ever since I bought mine, I've seen at least one a day back here in Delaware, compared to usually only randomly seeing one or two a month...

#12 ·
I have owned 15 Town cars from 90-96
13 were resold, 2 were my personal cars.
I have 2 in my immedate family, 4 in the rest.

Last one i drove was my 1996 Town Car Signature. Has 72k Factory Tow Package, and the rare traction control. It was well loaded. Black with tinted windows, chrome wheels.. all the trim. I love the car to death. ALOT faster then the cadillac.. that is one thing i miss. And its alot quiter. But since i was about 4-5 i use to pass a guys house and see the exact same Caddy.. white with all the white trim. Always wanted one. Drove the town car for about 9 months.. ran into some common problems, fixed them then got tired of it, especially the black color. It was a hot car, but black was to hard to maintain. The ride was superior soft. Loved the air ride. Its i nicer to drive then my cadillac atleast.. but the cadillac was a car i loved for its looks. Its more me. All the chrome and stainless.. That is what i grew up on form my dad. THats why i have all the trim on any car.. and why i have a 57 Chevy.
This is my Town Car

My Cadillac

Likes and Dislikes.
I like the cloth in my Cadillac, even though its base model. Thats waht i wanted, i dont like the leather in the cold.
The town car was more modern i think...
Town Car had a moon roof. though was avalible for the Caddy.
Power was far more better in the Town Car
Ride was quieter and smoother.
Cadillac is more classy..

Never drove a 5.7 90-92 Borugham. I would like to, see what power i may be missing. If it is nice like the Town Car then i would probably sell my Cadillac and look fo ra nice 5.7, id want one with a roof, and a DEleagance with velor. White, Blue, Burgandy... dont care for many others.
Or I will probably go back to the town Car. a 98 Bodyslye Cartier. Top of the line. with all the trim.

I have my Town Car to sell, wich should bring $5000 and if i sold my Cadillac i would think i would get 3-5000?

We will see. Thing i REALLY hate about the Brougham.... The Gas Miles. I got 18 city in the Town Car.... up to 28 once highway. I couldnt touch 18 on Highway with the Brougham.. and i drive VERY easy.

#13 ·
Ah yes I was waiting for you to chime in on this!

So in general you like the Town Cars more?

#14 ·
Id say so. More powerful (though i say this without driving a 5.7. The 5.7 93+ Broughams are probably as fast.. but this 307 I got is slow. And if i try to go fast, the gas gadge goes along w/ it.

I shoud drive a 5.7 90-92, and a 5.7 newer style. Then judge.

If i were to get another town Car (after i sell my last one..) i would want this car.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Linc...31851QQitemZ4618445089QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I like the Caddy.. but i dont think it will last forever. Im 17... I like cars... so i am meant to change cars often. Id also take a 96 Impala SS...

#15 ·
Yeah dude I hear that, I drove a '90 D'Elegance with the 307 and it was a dog. A total and absolute dog, but the choke on that one was stuck so that may have hurt it also, either way, I would never buy a 307 as a daily driver car, now if i was to rip out the engine and hot rod it, then I would definetly go with the Brougham, and it wouldnt matter the engine.

#16 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Hey I'm just going off 1/4 mile times... They both run a 17.1 as quoted on www.car-stats.com
All I know is when you actually drive both of them the Cadillac is faster. You could even feel the difference if you took both cars out at the same time and switched drivers. Either way I like those Lincolns. If you get one you'll like it unless it breaks down all the time.

#17 ·
I have owned both. 1993 Town Car Cartier, a 1991 Brougham, and a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Both were FULLY loaded. Sure the TC had a few more options than the FWB, but as far as the driving experience goes, the FWB is such a better car. Better made and far more reliable. I had so many issues with my TC that I ended up almost giving it away with a trunk full of parts that needed to be installed for the car to run correctly and for the electronics to stop whacking out. The 4.6 liter in the TC was a slug compared to the LT1. The 4.6 had similar power output to the 305 5.0 in my 1991 Fleetwood.

Just my .02$.. I will never own another Ford product unless it has the triton series engine.

#18 ·
HP costs fuel. Laws of physics. You want power, LT1, then it will take x amount of a/f to get it. You can make things somewhat more efficient, but at the % efficiency of modern cars, one to another won't make much of a difference at the pump.

LT1 FWB w/2.56's were rated at 26 highway. And any year TC, or any other car with a V8 making 260 hp and 330 lb/ft torque will use around the same amount of fuel, give or take a little, around 5% or so.

#19 ·
96Fleetwood said:
I have owned both. 1993 Town Car Cartier, a 1991 Brougham, and a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Both were FULLY loaded. Sure the TC had a few more options than the FWB, but as far as the driving experience goes, the FWB is such a better car. Better made and far more reliable. I had so many issues with my TC that I ended up almost giving it away with a trunk full of parts that needed to be installed for the car to run correctly and for the electronics to stop whacking out. The 4.6 liter in the TC was a slug compared to the LT1. The 4.6 had similar power output to the 305 5.0 in my 1991 Fleetwood.

Just my .02$.. I will never own another Ford product unless it has the triton series engine.
Yeah you're one of the few that had a Town Car that was totally unreliable. Most are very very reliable. 300k miles is not uncommon in a well maintained Town Car.

#20 ·
brougham said:
All I know is when you actually drive both of them the Cadillac is faster. You could even feel the difference if you took both cars out at the same time and switched drivers. Either way I like those Lincolns. If you get one you'll like it unless it breaks down all the time.
Do you mean a stock 5.7 LO5 or your 5.7 LO5? Because your 5.7 will almost keep up with a LT1 FWB. So it will walk on by a 4.6 like its standing still.

Hah! Look it's my 3591'st post! Thats a good number b/c my car weighs 3591 lbs stock!

#21 ·
Yeah, it was unfortunate. My TC was a very low mileage Florida car, 2 tone exterior, moonroof, JBL audio, BBS wheels, and really was a eye catcher. The TC did not have the "heavy duty" feel of the FWB either. My FWB is modified, but even when it was stock it felt better handling wise and @75-80mph than my TC. The TC also did not get the attention my FWB does. Today I went to Advance Auto to pick up some parts and I had three people inquire who owned the Cadillac in the parking lot. It is a good feeling...

Anyways, I have no doubt that the TC could have made 300K... it was just alot of electrical gremlins that haunted that car. The LT1 on the other hand has been flawless in 90 degree Miami weather with the A/C on and stuck in 1 hour of traffic each way daily.

#22 ·
True, the FWB definetly is more of an attention grabber..people see that car and really respect it...you dont see many of them. With a Town Car, you'd get respect too, but not as much..like you wont have people come up to you and compliment you...probably because its not as visually stimulating and there are a lot of them around.

Which brings me to my next point. How come Lincoln was selling 130,000 TC's a year, and Caddy only sold about 25k a year?!?!?

Makes ya wonder doesnt it..

#24 ·
Who cares how fast it goes. Nothing rides like a Town Car. Nothing gets looks like a Town Car. People were far more impressed by my Lincoln than my Cadillac. I was considering buying a 93-up fleetwood, but someone told me it looked like a Roadmaster, so I thought, hmmmm, maybe not. I have drove one, but I didnt think they rode as good and they definitely dont get as good as mileage. But when your looking at luxury cars your going to sacrifice something. I would still like to own a 95-up fleetwood just to have one and try it out as a daily driver. Overall, nothing compares to my town car. I have two of them and love them. I do however, bigtime miss my sixty special.

Blaze

#25 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
I've always loved the 90-92 Broughams, and I like the 93-96's even though they lack some of the features of the Town Cars, and generally, they seemed older and less modern than the Town Cars. Anyways, I would definetly love to purchase a 90-92 Brougham D'Elegance, just as long as it didnt have the 307. And I suppose if I found a nice LT1 FWB in the colors I like, I may consider purchasing it.

Anyways, what are your dislikes and likes with this bodystyle? (from your own experience please!)

Other than the power difference, are there any other big differences between the 90-92 model and 94-96's other than the looks and interior?

Has anyone owned a 90-97 Town Car and a 90-96 Brougham? Can you tell me the biggest differences in the way they drive?
I work at a dealership, and I have drove (so far) 2 93 Fleetwood Broughams (both with the Brougham Package) and 2 97 Town Cars (1 Cartier the other Sig. Sieres).

I have to say this, I have always liked the look of the Town Cars, and I think that they are good cars, but I must give it up to Cadillac. The only plus for the Town Car over the Caddy, is that the Town Car is a hair quiter in the ride, but the Caddy's have more power, better handeling, and softer rides, in my opinion. I also think that the leather GM used in the Caddy's is nicer than that in the Town Car. I hope this helps.

#26 ·
I'm gonna have to go the other way on this one..... having driven 80's Town Cars, 90's Town Cars, late 80's Broughams, and mid 90's Fleetwoods I'll summarize in the following. The Town Cars built from 1990-1997 have a very blah design. There's nothing to them really and the design does simply nothing for me. The 80's Town Cars are the opposite. Very sharp cars all around inside and out but when compared to a Brougham from the same time period, the design meets it's match and begins to fall short. The Town Car's 302 in comparison to the Caddy's 307 falls short from my own personal experience and comparisons. That's the whole reason why I own my red 89 as opposed to a black 88 Town Car which I compared both cars back to back and the Cadillac won. I've driven a 94 Town car and a 94 Fleetwood and once again the Fleetwood beat the piss outta the Lincoln in both power and design. The Fleetwood's more eye catching. Now comparing the boxy 80's style Broughams to the 90's Town Cars isn't the same as is comparing the 80's Town Cars to a mid 90's Fleetwood. What you should do if you're ready to go out and purchase one of these fine machines is to test drive all of them and make your own comparisons. Make sure what car you're testing out is in top mechanical condition too. (I think that Brougham you drove with the busted choke gave it a bad rep, I have no complaints about the way mine runs/drives) I'm not Lincoln bashing, as I do love them too. It was a really hard choice between that black 88 Town Car and my red 89 Fleetwood Brougham but when placed back to back, the Fleetwood clearly won that battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.