1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 Hey I'm just going off 1/4 mile times... They both run a 17.1 as quoted on ...
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: 1990 and newer Brougham/Fleetwood Brougham, your likes and dislikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Hey I'm just going off 1/4 mile times... They both run a 17.1 as quoted on www.car-stats.com
    All I know is when you actually drive both of them the Cadillac is faster. You could even feel the difference if you took both cars out at the same time and switched drivers. Either way I like those Lincolns. If you get one you'll like it unless it breaks down all the time.

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

I have owned both. 1993 Town Car Cartier, a 1991 Brougham, and a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Both were FULLY loaded. Sure the TC had a few more options than the FWB, but as far as the driving experience goes, the FWB is such a better car. Better made and far more reliable. I had so many issues with my TC that I ended up almost giving it away with a trunk full of parts that needed to be installed for the car to run correctly and for the electronics to stop whacking out. The 4.6 liter in the TC was a slug compared to the LT1. The 4.6 had similar power output to the 305 5.0 in my 1991 Fleetwood.

Just my .02$.. I will never own another Ford product unless it has the triton series engine.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

HP costs fuel. Laws of physics. You want power, LT1, then it will take x amount of a/f to get it. You can make things somewhat more efficient, but at the % efficiency of modern cars, one to another won't make much of a difference at the pump.

LT1 FWB w/2.56's were rated at 26 highway. And any year TC, or any other car with a V8 making 260 hp and 330 lb/ft torque will use around the same amount of fuel, give or take a little, around 5% or so.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood
    I have owned both. 1993 Town Car Cartier, a 1991 Brougham, and a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Both were FULLY loaded. Sure the TC had a few more options than the FWB, but as far as the driving experience goes, the FWB is such a better car. Better made and far more reliable. I had so many issues with my TC that I ended up almost giving it away with a trunk full of parts that needed to be installed for the car to run correctly and for the electronics to stop whacking out. The 4.6 liter in the TC was a slug compared to the LT1. The 4.6 had similar power output to the 305 5.0 in my 1991 Fleetwood.

Just my .02$.. I will never own another Ford product unless it has the triton series engine.
    Yeah you're one of the few that had a Town Car that was totally unreliable. Most are very very reliable. 300k miles is not uncommon in a well maintained Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    All I know is when you actually drive both of them the Cadillac is faster. You could even feel the difference if you took both cars out at the same time and switched drivers. Either way I like those Lincolns. If you get one you'll like it unless it breaks down all the time.
    Do you mean a stock 5.7 LO5 or your 5.7 LO5? Because your 5.7 will almost keep up with a LT1 FWB. So it will walk on by a 4.6 like its standing still.

Hah! Look it's my 3591'st post! Thats a good number b/c my car weighs 3591 lbs stock!

Yeah, it was unfortunate. My TC was a very low mileage Florida car, 2 tone exterior, moonroof, JBL audio, BBS wheels, and really was a eye catcher. The TC did not have the "heavy duty" feel of the FWB either. My FWB is modified, but even when it was stock it felt better handling wise and @75-80mph than my TC. The TC also did not get the attention my FWB does. Today I went to Advance Auto to pick up some parts and I had three people inquire who owned the Cadillac in the parking lot. It is a good feeling...

Anyways, I have no doubt that the TC could have made 300K... it was just alot of electrical gremlins that haunted that car. The LT1 on the other hand has been flawless in 90 degree Miami weather with the A/C on and stuck in 1 hour of traffic each way daily.

True, the FWB definetly is more of an attention grabber..people see that car and really respect it...you dont see many of them. With a Town Car, you'd get respect too, but not as much..like you wont have people come up to you and compliment you...probably because its not as visually stimulating and there are a lot of them around.

Which brings me to my next point. How come Lincoln was selling 130,000 TC's a year, and Caddy only sold about 25k a year?!?!?

Makes ya wonder doesnt it..

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Do you mean a stock 5.7 LO5 or your 5.7 LO5? Because your 5.7 will almost keep up with a LT1 FWB. So it will walk on by a 4.6 like its standing still.

Hah! Look it's my 3591'st post! Thats a good number b/c my car weighs 3591 lbs stock!
    Mine is a stock 5.7L one. I never done anything to it.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

Who cares how fast it goes. Nothing rides like a Town Car. Nothing gets looks like a Town Car. People were far more impressed by my Lincoln than my Cadillac. I was considering buying a 93-up fleetwood, but someone told me it looked like a Roadmaster, so I thought, hmmmm, maybe not. I have drove one, but I didnt think they rode as good and they definitely dont get as good as mileage. But when your looking at luxury cars your going to sacrifice something. I would still like to own a 95-up fleetwood just to have one and try it out as a daily driver. Overall, nothing compares to my town car. I have two of them and love them. I do however, bigtime miss my sixty special.

Blaze

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

I've always loved the 90-92 Broughams, and I like the 93-96's even though they lack some of the features of the Town Cars, and generally, they seemed older and less modern than the Town Cars. Anyways, I would definetly love to purchase a 90-92 Brougham D'Elegance, just as long as it didnt have the 307. And I suppose if I found a nice LT1 FWB in the colors I like, I may consider purchasing it.

Anyways, what are your dislikes and likes with this bodystyle? (from your own experience please!)

Other than the power difference, are there any other big differences between the 90-92 model and 94-96's other than the looks and interior?

Has anyone owned a 90-97 Town Car and a 90-96 Brougham? Can you tell me the biggest differences in the way they drive?
    I work at a dealership, and I have drove (so far) 2 93 Fleetwood Broughams (both with the Brougham Package) and 2 97 Town Cars (1 Cartier the other Sig. Sieres).

I have to say this, I have always liked the look of the Town Cars, and I think that they are good cars, but I must give it up to Cadillac. The only plus for the Town Car over the Caddy, is that the Town Car is a hair quiter in the ride, but the Caddy's have more power, better handeling, and softer rides, in my opinion. I also think that the leather GM used in the Caddy's is nicer than that in the Town Car. I hope this helps.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

I'm gonna have to go the other way on this one..... having driven 80's Town Cars, 90's Town Cars, late 80's Broughams, and mid 90's Fleetwoods I'll summarize in the following. The Town Cars built from 1990-1997 have a very blah design. There's nothing to them really and the design does simply nothing for me. The 80's Town Cars are the opposite. Very sharp cars all around inside and out but when compared to a Brougham from the same time period, the design meets it's match and begins to fall short. The Town Car's 302 in comparison to the Caddy's 307 falls short from my own personal experience and comparisons. That's the whole reason why I own my red 89 as opposed to a black 88 Town Car which I compared both cars back to back and the Cadillac won. I've driven a 94 Town car and a 94 Fleetwood and once again the Fleetwood beat the piss outta the Lincoln in both power and design. The Fleetwood's more eye catching. Now comparing the boxy 80's style Broughams to the 90's Town Cars isn't the same as is comparing the 80's Town Cars to a mid 90's Fleetwood. What you should do if you're ready to go out and purchase one of these fine machines is to test drive all of them and make your own comparisons. Make sure what car you're testing out is in top mechanical condition too. (I think that Brougham you drove with the busted choke gave it a bad rep, I have no complaints about the way mine runs/drives) I'm not Lincoln bashing, as I do love them too. It was a really hard choice between that black 88 Town Car and my red 89 Fleetwood Brougham but when placed back to back, the Fleetwood clearly won that battle.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    HP costs fuel. Laws of physics. You want power, LT1, then it will take x amount of a/f to get it. You can make things somewhat more efficient, but at the % efficiency of modern cars, one to another won't make much of a difference at the pump.

LT1 FWB w/2.56's were rated at 26 highway. And any year TC, or any other car with a V8 making 260 hp and 330 lb/ft torque will use around the same amount of fuel, give or take a little, around 5% or so.
    That's not always a fair statement. Perfect example is the LT1 cars. They net better mileage than many cars with similar power.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

True, the FWB definetly is more of an attention grabber..people see that car and really respect it...you dont see many of them. With a Town Car, you'd get respect too, but not as much..like you wont have people come up to you and compliment you...probably because its not as visually stimulating and there are a lot of them around.

Which brings me to my next point. How come Lincoln was selling 130,000 TC's a year, and Caddy only sold about 25k a year?!?!?

Makes ya wonder doesnt it..
    That's not exactly a strong argument to make. From the start, neither the Fleetwood or the older Brougham were intended to just be pumped out of the plants non-stop and end up in rental and livery fleets constantly. The Caddy's were always intended to be a little rarer and a little more special, and not as cookie-cutter, see one on every block kind of a deals as a Town Car.

But, at the same time, Caddy did make quite a bit of fleet sales (Katshot knows first hand, when it comes to limo converts) out of every year's production numbers, but still probably not as many Town Cars as got used.

So, like I first said, the main reason for the lower numbers is that the Fleetwood was never meant to be as "everywhere" and common, or typically have a row of them sitting at every dealers lot, with big discounts being a key attraction to selling them...that was more of the Town Car's plot in life.

And after watching all the videos I have from Cadillac, particularly the one about how the car was designed and how it should be sold, it's pretty clear that the Cadillac is meant to stand out and have a slightly different range of buyers than your garden variety TC...

A TC is nice, just as many have said, but NOWHERE near as special as a Fleetwood/Brougham that has been treated well in it's life...something that, admittedly, is getting harder and harder to find, but can be done.

Could the overall level of build quality on the Caddy's been better? Certainly. Could they have used a few more gadgets, or at least things like a climate control system with even the most basic adustments? Yes, probably. But as is, I'd still rather have a Caddy...

Another thing to point out:

Just look at what a 1996 TC and 1996 FWB with the same mileage are bringing. The FWB is going UP in value from what I have seen.

A 1996 TC Cartier with ~50K miles will bring no more than $8K.
    A 1996 FWB with ~50K miles will bring no more than $15K.

But to each his own.. for me, it is the Fleetwood all the way (this is a Cadillac forum so there is bias).

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I'm not dying to go dig up annual sales records but I can tell you that until 1997, the Fleetwoods far outsold the Town Car in livery fleets. Rentals? I couldn't say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.