Cadillac Owners Forum banner
52K views 101 replies 41 participants last post by  concorso 
#1 ·
The 07 still hasnt grown on me, I think the Infiniti truck is pretty nice any opinions or anything?

#27 ·
mikeee said:
You cant use personal experience as a wide statistic. Look it up man, domestic vehicles' records suck compared to foreign.

That said, I doubt all those cars never needed ANY repair, with that many cars I can only assume you owned them for too short a period of time, or.. your 300 years old. :)
I guess I am lying? I said the cars and SUV's I listed never went back to the dealer for warranty repair, I have a shop that does all my oil changes and performance work, and personal experience is the only thing that matters to me. I am old but not yet 300, my SUV's are sold or traded when they have about 25k miles on them, my Corvette's go at 10k, and daily driver's go at about 25k as well. I have owned several Porsche's, a 550 Ferrari, several Mercedes and well as many BMW's, and as I said my cars and SUV's that were made in the USA was far more reliable, don't get me wrong my Euro cars never had any major problems, it just the little pain in the @ss problems. I own a lot cars, and have owned a lot of cars, just telling you my experience. :)

#28 ·
hcvone said:
I guess I am lying? I said the cars and SUV's I listed never went back to the dealer for warranty repair, I have a shop that does all my oil changes and performance work, and personal experience is the only thing that matters to me. I am old but not yet 300, my SUV's are sold or traded when they have about 25k miles on them, my Corvette's go at 10k, and daily driver's go at about 25k as well. I have owned several Porsche's, a 550 Ferrari, several Mercedes and well as many BMW's, and as I said my cars and SUV's that were made in the USA was far more reliable, don't get me wrong my Euro cars never had any major problems, it just the little pain in the @ss problems. I own a lot cars, and have owned a lot of cars, just telling you my experience. :)
I never said you were lying, not even remotely close to understanding why you assume that. Anyway...

Like I said, I was talking about longevity. Of course a car with 25k will not have problems, not common at least. I dont know of a benz, chevy, kia or nissan that have issues at 25k. But I guarantee you, that the others will last WELL over 100k before they have to have major service, and the GM will be in and out of the shop. But hey, thats just what the facts are. I wish I had the resources to sell my cars at 25k and get another one fresh off the lot, but I dont, otherwise I would never ever complain about service.

Good choice in vehicles by the way :) , seems like you've had tons of nice cars.

#29 ·
:) As I said I can only go by my experiences with cars made here vs. cars made in Europe that I have owned, I would agree that a 20k VW will probably outlast a 20k Chevy, but I know from owning many BMW's it will go to the shop a lot more for "stupid" little problems, as I said I never had a major problem, it's things like moldings coming loose, weatherstripping being torn, the type of things that you really don't want to take the car back for, but you have to, these are the type of pain in the @ss things that I do not have with my uSA cars and SUV's, and I hear this a lot from my Zaino customers with high end cars. :)

#30 ·
hcvone said:
:) As I said I can only go by my experiences with cars made here vs. cars made in Europe that I have owned, I would agree that a 20k VW will probably outlast a 20k Chevy, but I know from owning many BMW's it will go to the shop a lot more for "stupid" little problems, as I said I never had a major problem, it's things like moldings coming loose, weatherstripping being torn, the type of things that you really don't want to take the car back for, but you have to, these are the type of pain in the @ss things that I do not have with my uSA cars and SUV's, and I hear this a lot from my Zaino customers with high end cars. :)
So true, especially when it comes to electrical bugs in various European designs. Lots of little "stupid problems" seem to be the norm...and why marks like MB STILL are at the bottom of the barrel in reliability ratings.

I trully do believe that most Asian-based vehicles are still among the best when it comes to overall quality and lack of issues, but most European marks (MB really, BMW to some extent, and then all of the exotics like Ferrari and Maserati that tend to have so MANY issues, small and large, from day one, that it's easy to see why most people who own them don't drive them that much), have not set any records for reliability over the past many years.

For a long time, and still to some extent today, a lot of imports clearly had and have a much higher level of fit & finish, refinement, and perceptional quality, but the gap between domestics and imports in these categories is shrinking further and further everyday.

When we had our '02 Avalanche, it was the first vehicle we EVER had that didn't need to go in for any repair in the 2.5 years we had it, except for one time to replace a cracked mirror glass and a foglight that had condensation in it. Our '04 Suburban hasn't been as great, having been in about 4 times for warranty work now, and it did really start to bug me there for a while, but now that the various little first year of ownership bugs are straightened out, all seems well.

But getting back to what was actually being talked about, the QX56 is an example of a vehicle that DEFINATELY could have used another year at least of R & D testing and revision by Nissan...

#31 · (Edited)
Here's a quote from a December story after the QX56 topped the worst cars of 2005 list:

According to the newest data from Consumer Reports, Nissan Motor's full-size Infiniti QX sport utility vehicle has the worst ratings possible for the reliability of its electrical system, brakes, body integrity, power equipment and body hardware. It is 300% less reliable than the average car, and a QX owner must feel the way an owner of an E.M.F. model felt: What's going to go wrong with my car today?
They have improved since intro, and there are a lot of people who have good '04 models, but the general consensus still seems to be that they aren't the best when it comes to top-notch quality.

But, checking into more owner reviews as of late, it looks like most owners are now VERY satisfied and a lot actually seem to be coming out of GM SUV's and into the Infiniti or Nissan...which they rate as a terrific improvement, and much better than their last truck. Here's a few quotes I took from Edmunds:

-"I have owned Yukon's, Jeeps, and the odd pickup and I can honestly say this QX56 is a winner. We looked at an Escalade and it was just an overexpensive Yukon with plastic wood glued onto the same Yukon stuff. Even the seats were the same...for 65K??? QX56 get one....you will be very happy."

-"Comming out from a Tahoe to a QX56 was a HUGE change. This drives like a lux car. I know we'll look to buy a small car to add to our addition for my husband. We're in love with the Infinities!"

-"My daily driver is a 04 Corvette Z06, however I look for reasons to drive the QX56!! I also have a 01 Denali, the QX is so much more of a comfort to drive. We love this truck!!!!"

-"A clear upgrade from our suburban. Great power, solid suspension, firm brakes."

-"After looking at the Lexus, Cadilac and GMC SUV trucks I ended the search at Infinity. It has been the best decision I have ever made, and I put 150,000 miles on my Chev suburban. The drive of the QX is quite, smooth and luxurious. I have not had any problems with the mechanics or finishes of the inside or out."

-"I am very impressed with the vehicle. The interior room and quality of meterials is excellent. Towing capacity very impressive, Exterior is very impressive. I've owned GMC Yukons and find that the Infiniti is superior."

-"My father owns a 2005 Escalade and by many features, including engine capabilities, my QX56 drives circles around his Caddy!"

So, it seems, after the widespread "teething" problems, they may have gotten it mostly worked out. I would like to see a comparison of a new '07 Escalade to the Infiniti, though...

#35 · (Edited)
In some rural areas Tahoes and Suburbans ARE school buses. Well, only the yellow ones. ;) That said, the Infiniti styling is polarizing. I got the Armada because I preferred the styling and color. I don't care about wood interiors. I use mine at the beach as a tow vehicle and I installed real HIDs on mine for $225. HIDs, some wood trim, heated 2nd row seats, chrome rims, and smartcruise were the only options that weren't available on the Armada.

As for the materials, as you've said, next year they are changing the interior. Personally, I like it but others don't. I do like the new GM interiors. Last years and earlier were dated and not up to snuff. This year's stuff is really nice.

As for my vehicle, its a 4th vehicle for me and I like to keep my luxury interior in my G35 and use this as the workhorse for towing, ski trips, Home Depot runs, etc. She has her Jetta Turbo and I have my vette vert for weekend fun.

Last, supposedly next year they are going to add a diesel option for the Titan. This may also be available in the Armada and/or QX. No feedback on this yet. They are saying it should be a Cummins diesel.

Later, and thanks for being nice!:D

P.S. I saw the Consumer Reports data about the QX/Armada. The only good use of CR is to line a bird cage. They wrote that report last year based solely on '04 reports. They are the ones that call warping brake rotors a "driveline' problem, and they based their thoughts on the QX for '05 and '06 based on the '04 problems, not recognizing that the problems had been addressed. This year they said the worst was the Land Rover and the ratings for the Armada and QX jumped up. Go figure.:cookoo:

I like the Escalade's new styling. I like the fold down power 2nd row. I don't like the fact that the seats don't fold flat and the lack of 4 Lo, which I've needed several times on the Mada. Ex. Pulling trees upright knocked over by hurricanes.

One quick question. Why are the tow ratings so low? The new Silverado goes up to 10500 lbs, at least that's what the comercial says. But the highest rating on the Tahoe/Escalade is 8200 lbs, 8000 lbs for the Escalade. The Nissan/Infiniti/Ford/Lincoln/Dodge ratings are all 1000 lbs more. Thanks!

#34 ·
92TripleBlack: Nice to hear from a REAL owner, and everything you said sounds resoundingly correct based on comments I've seen over the past few years. Basically, the '04 models really should have been pushed back a bit to work out the brake and build quality issues, but once they did, the '05s to current '07s are very nice.

Great power, great space, and a unique look that definately sets them apart. Still could use a significant upgrade to the overall quality of the interior materials, for instance, but that is already being done and will be seen in the '08.

#36 ·
I havean 06 escalade, and just recently looked at the QX56. Here is what i find (and remember, i am comparing 2006 to 2006:
What the Caddy has that the infiniti does not:
Nicer styling (i do like the QX56, but the lade is more "classy")
touchscreen GPS (this is nice)
a price tag that is 10K higher than the infiniti
more comfortable seats all around - more plush and roomy
a slightly smoother ride, and a few more BHP

What the Infiniti has that the escalade does not:
Bluetooth
Backup camera
in dash MP3
motorized tilt steering
more room between front and 2nd row
more cargo space with and without the 3rd row
fold down 3rd row (why the lade doesn't have this....i'll never know)
motorized rear hatch
interior matched cargo mat

there may be a few i am missing but that is what comes to mind.
I have never owned an infiniti, but i did have a 1991 nissan pathfinder, and i found their reliability to be great.
my 06 lade has been in the shop 4 times since i bought it in december, and my 05 CTS has been in 3 times since june of 05
i figure that about average, but yet there are people who have not had a visit to the dealer in 2-3 years of owning one

I think when it comes right down to it, you should look at my list above, or do your own list, and decide "what features are important to me"
once you clear up what you really want out of a truck, then i think the answers will come to you

#37 ·
I just joined because this thread is of interest. I have been test driving Escalades and QX56 and Armadas for about a month and it's a toss up.
There seems to be some real honest fair comparisons here. The ones where people are saying QX or Escalade is ugly, are useless comments.
The good ones are specs and from real owners that know these SUV's well.

The new Escalade looks good to me in black. But so does the QX56. I test drove both. Its a tough call. I like them equally and the Caddy is $12k more. Caddy definetely is the bling mobile of the two. Not sure I want the attention. But it looks just bad a$$ though.

So let's get to the real stuff. Which one wins:
0-60
1/4 mile
60-0
MPG
Interior volume or space

Any third row split power seats like the Ford Expedition has?
3rd row both fold flat?

Which one tows more. I got a 8,500lb boat. and tow a generator sometimes.

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.

#38 ·
So let's get to the real stuff. Which one wins:
0-60
1/4 mile
60-0
MPG
Interior volume or space

Any third row split power seats like the Ford Expedition has?
3rd row both fold flat?

Which one tows more. I got a 8,500lb boat. and tow a generator sometimes.

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.
Performance wise, they should be very similar. Towing, the AWD Escalade is rated at 7700 lbs and the QX56 4wd is at 8900 lbs, so a pretty considerable difference there.

As far as the 3rd row, the Escalade (and GM's in general) and the QX56 could not be MORE different. Ford and MB are still the only ones to have added power assist to the folding of the 3rd row, BUT the Nissan/Infiniti are the next best. Not powerized, but a very large and comfortable seat for real adults that ALSO folds flat to the floor. Never has to be taken out or stored, and doesn't clutter up the floor.

The regular Escalade's 3rd row, on the contrary, is pretty much the only one on the market that a) has the cushion mounted right to the floor with very little of any legroom, and b) doesn't fold into the floor and has to be either flipped up or unlatched and removed. The longer ESV Escalade solves the legroom issue (floor is different, and there's actually a drop down well not present in short models for your feet), but still has to be flipped or removed.

I would think if you've been test driving these vehicles, especially given how expensive they are, you would already know this and more. The 3rd row isn't a big deal for some who never use it or the extra space on the fly, but to a lot of people it is. With the solid rear axle still used in the GM's, there's pretty much no space to create a flat/disappearing seat, and soon they'll be the only big SUV's with that issue.

Take this issue into account, along with the price and other features, as well as just which one "gets you" the most in person. Quality-wise, the current Escalade does have better materials and finishes, but there should be no difference whatsoever in the reliability between the two at this point.

#43 ·
Interesting observations here. I too am comparing these 2 vehicles right now, and have test drove both several times. After having my LX470 for the last 6 years (150,000 seamless miles, not one problem) I have found that I need something new and fresh in the styling department. It's absolutely ridiculous IMHO that there is not a comparable SUV that even comes close the the LX in terms of smooth ride, luxurious interior, and down right untouchable reliability and value. Shame on Lexus for sitting on their asses for so long and letting this truly remarkable vehicle go stale and bland, and completely outdated in terms of features. Closest I have come to a luxury SUV is the Range Rover, and the wife aint hearing it. With an $ 85,000 plus price tag and a bad track record in reliability, she's not having it. However if it was going to be my vehicle, I'd still buy the RR today.

With that being said, the Caddy is nice. I am not impressed with the reliability issues to say the least, but it is a nice vehicle none the less. Interior luxury is the typical American wannabee quality. Feels good when new, but wears out very quickly. Seen many that are 2 to 3 years old and the interiors look terrible and worn out. The Q is probably the closest to the LX simply because it is Japanese, but the ride is a bit stiff and bumpy and the interior quality is not quite up to par. However, the price tag does reflect the lack of true quality, which I think is more than fair.

It's pretty hard at this point to make a decision. Wife is leaning towards the ESV, simply because of the room.

Sorry for the little amount of substance in this post, but just thought I would state my humble opinion on the absurdity of this ever so popular SUV market with so little to offer in terms of a "complete" vehicle. Really not sold on any of them. :banghead:

#44 ·
Actually, the new '07 Escalades are in a completely different world than what it sounds like you thought of the older ones. They definately had cheaper construction, and for all intensive purposes, were well dressed Chevys in terms of their materials and basic structures.

The Infiniti still needs considerable work in terms of it's materials and such, and could also probably stand some more suspension modifications and body strength upgrades, but is still a nice ride. The new Escalade is definately more impressive in terms of finishes, materials, and the likes, though.

It is a shame there still isn't a new big Lexus, and true that a lot still can't match on that overall feeling of refinement and quality they have.

You could always go with another new Lexus, but having said that your wife liked the ESV, I really think you'd be happy with it. There have not been reliability problems, and the interiors are top notch (if maybe still a touch below a Lexus/MB/etc. in a few very minor areas), and they're just first class trucks.

The Infiniti still has the much nicer pricetag and much better packaging & space (at least compared to a short Escalade), though, so that's still something to consider--if you're already fine with the rest of it's package.

Something still mighty attractive about a new Lexus LX, however. They still come off as the rarer "king", even if they don't have the best space or latest and greatest toy.

#45 ·
I'm in a similar place as brick. My last SUV was a Landcruiser. I leased it for 4 years and had to return it. The LC was perfect in all respects except for size. Didn't like the double fold down seats for 3rd row.
I too am very disappointed that Lexus didn't take the Sequioa and beef up the engine and "upscale" it. But the new Escalade and QX are a class above this old outclassed Seq.
I'm also surprised that honda didn't seize the opportunity to "supersize" the Pilot. The pilot is another great quality SUV but too small and weak.

The new Suburban is starting to grow on me now. It's huge but not dorky looking like the Excursion.

I'm still trying to find some real world performance numbers for the Escalade. With that much hp and tq advantage over the QX, shouldn't it blow it away?

#47 ·
#59 ·
The Escalade is considered an Import by the US Government. The majority of the parts are built outside the US and it is assembled outside as well. The QX is considered a domestic. Higher % of US parts and assembled in Mississippi. Just something to think about. Other notable cars considered "domestic" are Camry, Accord, and BMW X5. :thumbsup:

#66 ·
Like he said, a lot of the parts are manufactured outside the US, obviously. The final assembly takes place in Arlington, Texas.

HCVONE - How did you blow the engine in your new 07? I'm dieing to hear that story.
Went to the garage Sunday morning Oct 15th and started the truck to go to a car show, a quarter second into starting it went KaBoom, they flatbedded the truck to the dealer the next day, called me to tell me that an intake valve broke and took out the piston, rod and bent the crank. They ordered a new crate engine that should be at the dealer today. I turned it over to my lawyer because with 887 miles on it I want a new truck, or I will be driving another brand. :) Not good at all. :( Never one hint of a problem before it blew up. :(

#71 ·
Went to the garage Sunday morning Oct 15th and started the truck to go to a car show, a quarter second into starting it went KaBoom, they flatbedded the truck to the dealer the next day, called me to tell me that an intake valve broke and took out the piston, rod and bent the crank. They ordered a new crate engine that should be at the dealer today. I turned it over to my lawyer because with 887 miles on it I want a new truck, or I will be driving another brand. :) Not good at all. :( Never one hint of a problem before it blew up. :(
So its true. I didn't believe it, But wow. Let us know how the motor swap goes.

#62 ·
That sucks. I'm still a GM fan and unless it is a common thing I'd chaulk it up to just plain being unlucky. :banghead:

We had one guy who had a trans problem, but only one. Again, unlucky. But no Nissan people on the boards have had any engine problems except the guy who dumped a gallon of mud into his intake while stuck in a mud puddle. :bigroll:

#68 ·
Simply put, this thread is just on indication, but the "teething issues" severe or not, with early Armadas and QX56's seem to be a thing of the past. Most reviews seem to be glowing too, so aside from some subpar interior materials still, they're very legitimate competitors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.