07 Escalade Vs Infiniti QX56 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 07 Escalade Vs Infiniti QX56 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Here's a quote from a December story after the QX56 topped the worst cars of 2005 list: According to the ...
    caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: 07 Escalade Vs Infiniti QX56

Here's a quote from a December story after the QX56 topped the worst cars of 2005 list:

According to the newest data from Consumer Reports, Nissan Motor's full-size Infiniti QX sport utility vehicle has the worst ratings possible for the reliability of its electrical system, brakes, body integrity, power equipment and body hardware. It is 300% less reliable than the average car, and a QX owner must feel the way an owner of an E.M.F. model felt: What's going to go wrong with my car today?
    They have improved since intro, and there are a lot of people who have good '04 models, but the general consensus still seems to be that they aren't the best when it comes to top-notch quality.

But, checking into more owner reviews as of late, it looks like most owners are now VERY satisfied and a lot actually seem to be coming out of GM SUV's and into the Infiniti or Nissan...which they rate as a terrific improvement, and much better than their last truck. Here's a few quotes I took from Edmunds:

-"I have owned Yukon's, Jeeps, and the odd pickup and I can honestly say this QX56 is a winner. We looked at an Escalade and it was just an overexpensive Yukon with plastic wood glued onto the same Yukon stuff. Even the seats were the same...for 65K??? QX56 get one....you will be very happy."

-"Comming out from a Tahoe to a QX56 was a HUGE change. This drives like a lux car. I know we'll look to buy a small car to add to our addition for my husband. We're in love with the Infinities!"

-"My daily driver is a 04 Corvette Z06, however I look for reasons to drive the QX56!! I also have a 01 Denali, the QX is so much more of a comfort to drive. We love this truck!!!!"

-"A clear upgrade from our suburban. Great power, solid suspension, firm brakes."

-"After looking at the Lexus, Cadilac and GMC SUV trucks I ended the search at Infinity. It has been the best decision I have ever made, and I put 150,000 miles on my Chev suburban. The drive of the QX is quite, smooth and luxurious. I have not had any problems with the mechanics or finishes of the inside or out."

-"I am very impressed with the vehicle. The interior room and quality of meterials is excellent. Towing capacity very impressive, Exterior is very impressive. I've owned GMC Yukons and find that the Infiniti is superior."

-"My father owns a 2005 Escalade and by many features, including engine capabilities, my QX56 drives circles around his Caddy!"

So, it seems, after the widespread "teething" problems, they may have gotten it mostly worked out. I would like to see a comparison of a new '07 Escalade to the Infiniti, though...

92TripleBlack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Armada LE '05 4x4, '04 G35 Sedan, '02 Jetta Turbo, '92 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    The problem with most of the Japanese based SUV/Trucks is they are not built very strong, and lack power, but they are getting better each year, and the QX although low in HP (315) has good torque. I personally would buy a Ford first, and I can tell you that is no happening.
    I have an Armada. And let me qualify this, I'm also a Corvette owner, in the local Corvette Club, just drove in the Car and Driver/Road and Track Cadillac challenge where you compare Cadillac vs. Lexus and BMW head to head for a mag review so I am not biased vs. Caddie.

Back to the job at hand. I strongly disagree with the above quote. TOYota and Lexus vehicles aren't very strong in terms of power. They will have a strong drivetrain out in the new one this year though. The Armada and QX have been bench tested vs. the Hemi continuously and they always come out with more power. Nissan has a policy of understating its numbers for insurance, which is nice. Typically, the Hemi is 10-15 lower HP and TQ at the rear wheels.

Next, HP is not what an SUV owner cares about. Obviously, the above poster doesn't know this. TQ is. TQ equals towing power and acceleration. HP equals top speed, which is governed and therefore doesn't matter. In terms of towing power, they tow 9000-9500, or the same as an F150, Dodge Hemi, and more than any GM that wasn't a Super Duty. This year, GM stepped up and upped the anti but prior years were the weakest next to the TOYs. Also, they current crop rating has been upped to 320 393 for the QX as they have introduced improvements this year. And the Fords are the slowest, not because they don't have power, but because they have a 4 speed trans. They are a full second or more behind the Nissan, QX, GMs, and Hemis.

Third, as for rattles, squeeks, repairs, etc. This is a thing of the past. The '04s, a first year vehicle, had its share. The '05s cleared up almost all, and the couple left were gone by '06. I have an '05 and the only repair I've had was to have the late year introduced '05 brake pads and rotors added to mine. Now they have the best brakes of the class and they will stop 60-0 as fast as a Honda Accord. Rattles, etc. are gone. The brake issue gave them a bad rep for reliablity because all the "agencies" looked at this as a repair and major problem, when it was just warping brake rotors. It was classified as a "drivetrain" problem. What a joke. Nissan stepped up and retrofitted all of them under warranty and extended the brake warranty to 3 years, unlimited miles. TOY also had this problem, but they didn't address it for 4 years and didn't cover under warranty. So much for TOY reliablity. The quality however is tops overall after you get out of the first 12 months of production.

And last, as for the ride, this was due to the junk tires Nissan put on. This is the only complaint I have about the stock SUVs. They put $50 tires on them. I swapped to 20" A/T Nitto Terra grapplers in 305-55-20. They are quieter, softer riding, handle better, better grip in all road conditions, wear longer, etc. and shouldn't beat them in any of these areas except off road traction. If you swap tires, you will have a totally new vehicle on your hands, but most don't do this nor do they experience this as they test drive ones with stock tires.

In comparing the two, the GM pre '07 was slower and clunky. I had grave doubts about their long term relability and they had their share of problems. The new ones may have overcomed this, but I'll have to drive one.
    Acceleration under tests is within a couple 10ths 0-60 and about the same in the quarter. We are running 6.8-7.2 and high 14s. quarters. I'm a little slower with my Terra Grapplers and 4x4. A race would come down to drivers and individual machines. The interior on the new Caddies is nice. I like that more than the rest available. The room is small however. Dodge has the most room, but Nissan is a close second.

Don't forget, the Government has deemed the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade an Import due to the high amount of parts made outside the US and its assembly in Mexico. The QX/Titan/Armada, made in Mississippi, has more US made parts.

To sum it up, I would have a much tougher time trying to decide this time between GM and Nissan. I couldn't tell you what I'd buy. But from last year before, Nissan/Infiniti won hands down. I hope this helps. And BTW, the SRX was the best of the group in the C&D test. We compared it to the Lexus RX350 (junk) the CTS, and the BMW 530. It outdrove all 3 and I would say won overall. The CTS was the worst handling of the bunch, right there with the Lexus, but it had good acceleration, so it was tied with the BMW, which had nice handling but poor 2nd gear acceleration.

vaporkid8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade

the infiniti looks like a school bus

92TripleBlack: Nice to hear from a REAL owner, and everything you said sounds resoundingly correct based on comments I've seen over the past few years. Basically, the '04 models really should have been pushed back a bit to work out the brake and build quality issues, but once they did, the '05s to current '07s are very nice.

Great power, great space, and a unique look that definately sets them apart. Still could use a significant upgrade to the overall quality of the interior materials, for instance, but that is already being done and will be seen in the '08.

92TripleBlack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Armada LE '05 4x4, '04 G35 Sedan, '02 Jetta Turbo, '92 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by vaporkid8 View Post
    the infiniti looks like a school bus
    In some rural areas Tahoes and Suburbans ARE school buses. Well, only the yellow ones. That said, the Infiniti styling is polarizing. I got the Armada because I preferred the styling and color. I don't care about wood interiors. I use mine at the beach as a tow vehicle and I installed real HIDs on mine for $225. HIDs, some wood trim, heated 2nd row seats, chrome rims, and smartcruise were the only options that weren't available on the Armada.

As for the materials, as you've said, next year they are changing the interior. Personally, I like it but others don't. I do like the new GM interiors. Last years and earlier were dated and not up to snuff. This year's stuff is really nice.

As for my vehicle, its a 4th vehicle for me and I like to keep my luxury interior in my G35 and use this as the workhorse for towing, ski trips, Home Depot runs, etc. She has her Jetta Turbo and I have my vette vert for weekend fun.

Last, supposedly next year they are going to add a diesel option for the Titan. This may also be available in the Armada and/or QX. No feedback on this yet. They are saying it should be a Cummins diesel.

Later, and thanks for being nice!

P.S. I saw the Consumer Reports data about the QX/Armada. The only good use of CR is to line a bird cage. They wrote that report last year based solely on '04 reports. They are the ones that call warping brake rotors a "driveline' problem, and they based their thoughts on the QX for '05 and '06 based on the '04 problems, not recognizing that the problems had been addressed. This year they said the worst was the Land Rover and the ratings for the Armada and QX jumped up. Go figure.

I like the Escalade's new styling. I like the fold down power 2nd row. I don't like the fact that the seats don't fold flat and the lack of 4 Lo, which I've needed several times on the Mada. Ex. Pulling trees upright knocked over by hurricanes.

One quick question. Why are the tow ratings so low? The new Silverado goes up to 10500 lbs, at least that's what the comercial says. But the highest rating on the Tahoe/Escalade is 8200 lbs, 8000 lbs for the Escalade. The Nissan/Infiniti/Ford/Lincoln/Dodge ratings are all 1000 lbs more. Thanks!

vertex117 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS and 2006 Escalade

I havean 06 escalade, and just recently looked at the QX56. Here is what i find (and remember, i am comparing 2006 to 2006:
    What the Caddy has that the infiniti does not:
    Nicer styling (i do like the QX56, but the lade is more "classy")
    touchscreen GPS (this is nice)
    a price tag that is 10K higher than the infiniti
    more comfortable seats all around - more plush and roomy
    a slightly smoother ride, and a few more BHP

What the Infiniti has that the escalade does not:
    Bluetooth
    Backup camera
    in dash MP3
    motorized tilt steering
    more room between front and 2nd row
    more cargo space with and without the 3rd row
    fold down 3rd row (why the lade doesn't have this....i'll never know)
    motorized rear hatch
    interior matched cargo mat

there may be a few i am missing but that is what comes to mind.
    I have never owned an infiniti, but i did have a 1991 nissan pathfinder, and i found their reliability to be great.
    my 06 lade has been in the shop 4 times since i bought it in december, and my 05 CTS has been in 3 times since june of 05
    i figure that about average, but yet there are people who have not had a visit to the dealer in 2-3 years of owning one

I think when it comes right down to it, you should look at my list above, or do your own list, and decide "what features are important to me"
    once you clear up what you really want out of a truck, then i think the answers will come to you

SlimShady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just joined because this thread is of interest. I have been test driving Escalades and QX56 and Armadas for about a month and it's a toss up.
    There seems to be some real honest fair comparisons here. The ones where people are saying QX or Escalade is ugly, are useless comments.
    The good ones are specs and from real owners that know these SUV's well.

The new Escalade looks good to me in black. But so does the QX56. I test drove both. Its a tough call. I like them equally and the Caddy is $12k more. Caddy definetely is the bling mobile of the two. Not sure I want the attention. But it looks just bad a$$ though.

So let's get to the real stuff. Which one wins:
    0-60
    1/4 mile
    60-0
    MPG
    Interior volume or space

Any third row split power seats like the Ford Expedition has?
    3rd row both fold flat?

Which one tows more. I got a 8,500lb boat. and tow a generator sometimes.

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    So let's get to the real stuff. Which one wins:
    0-60
    1/4 mile
    60-0
    MPG
    Interior volume or space

Any third row split power seats like the Ford Expedition has?
    3rd row both fold flat?

Which one tows more. I got a 8,500lb boat. and tow a generator sometimes.

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.
    Performance wise, they should be very similar. Towing, the AWD Escalade is rated at 7700 lbs and the QX56 4wd is at 8900 lbs, so a pretty considerable difference there.

As far as the 3rd row, the Escalade (and GM's in general) and the QX56 could not be MORE different. Ford and MB are still the only ones to have added power assist to the folding of the 3rd row, BUT the Nissan/Infiniti are the next best. Not powerized, but a very large and comfortable seat for real adults that ALSO folds flat to the floor. Never has to be taken out or stored, and doesn't clutter up the floor.

The regular Escalade's 3rd row, on the contrary, is pretty much the only one on the market that a) has the cushion mounted right to the floor with very little of any legroom, and b) doesn't fold into the floor and has to be either flipped up or unlatched and removed. The longer ESV Escalade solves the legroom issue (floor is different, and there's actually a drop down well not present in short models for your feet), but still has to be flipped or removed.

I would think if you've been test driving these vehicles, especially given how expensive they are, you would already know this and more. The 3rd row isn't a big deal for some who never use it or the extra space on the fly, but to a lot of people it is. With the solid rear axle still used in the GM's, there's pretty much no space to create a flat/disappearing seat, and soon they'll be the only big SUV's with that issue.

Take this issue into account, along with the price and other features, as well as just which one "gets you" the most in person. Quality-wise, the current Escalade does have better materials and finishes, but there should be no difference whatsoever in the reliability between the two at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    Performance wise, they should be very similar. Towing, the AWD Escalade is rated at 7700 lbs and the QX56 4wd is at 8900 lbs, so a pretty considerable difference there.

As far as the 3rd row, the Escalade (and GM's in general) and the QX56 could not be MORE different. Ford and MB are still the only ones to have added power assist to the folding of the 3rd row, BUT the Nissan/Infiniti are the next best. Not powerized, but a very large and comfortable seat for real adults that ALSO folds flat to the floor. Never has to be taken out or stored, and doesn't clutter up the floor.

The regular Escalade's 3rd row, on the contrary, is pretty much the only one on the market that a) has the cushion mounted right to the floor with very little of any legroom, and b) doesn't fold into the floor and has to be either flipped up or unlatched and removed. The longer ESV Escalade solves the legroom issue (floor is different, and there's actually a drop down well not present in short models for your feet), but still has to be flipped or removed.

I would think if you've been test driving these vehicles, especially given how expensive they are, you would already know this and more. The 3rd row isn't a big deal for some who never use it or the extra space on the fly, but to a lot of people it is. With the solid rear axle still used in the GM's, there's pretty much no space to create a flat/disappearing seat, and soon they'll be the only big SUV's with that issue.

Take this issue into account, along with the price and other features, as well as just which one "gets you" the most in person. Quality-wise, the current Escalade does have better materials and finishes, but there should be no difference whatsoever in the reliability between the two at this point.
    Thanks, that's good info. The 3rd row is what concerns me at this point. I test drove but didn't look to closely at the 3rd row. The 3rd row is important to me because I use it all the time. And when I don't use it, I haul stuff. So if the 3rd row doesnt fold flat, and is not that well thought out, that's be a problem for me.
    Wasn't there a supercharged Escalade before? I'd be very interested in an OEM supercharged engine.

house is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville DHS

escalade hands down, its like twice the size

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    Agreed. I would get the Escalade because I would like to drive my vehicle and not have it sit in the shop, which is exactly what my friends QX56 does.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    Not true. The Armada/QX56 is considerably larger than the regular Escalade, and though not as long as an ESV/Suburban, still has a larger and more comfortable 3rd row with a lot of space behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Cadillac Escalade View Post
    Agreed. I would get the Escalade because I would like to drive my vehicle and not have it sit in the shop, which is exactly what my friends QX56 does.

Thanks.
    Good point from your perspective, EXCEPT that any of the issues he's had are probably due to it being an early model. Still not a good thing, but as evidenced by most real buyers, any of the common problems were dealt with and resolved by the 2nd model year and beyond. The impression you get from a real test drive and look speaks volumes, as I'm sure it does for a lot of people who have compared both of these vehicles--then draw your own conclusions from there and with what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    Thanks, that's good info. The 3rd row is what concerns me at this point. I test drove but didn't look to closely at the 3rd row. The 3rd row is important to me because I use it all the time. And when I don't use it, I haul stuff. So if the 3rd row doesnt fold flat, and is not that well thought out, that's be a problem for me.
    Wasn't there a supercharged Escalade before? I'd be very interested in an OEM supercharged engine.
    Sounds like you may have a partial answer then, unless you've tried out a longer Escalade ESV yet, and played with the 3rd row to see if the flip-up of the seat would be workable for you or not. There's also still the new '07 Navigator/Expedition that not only have been greatly enhanced, but offer both a powered 3rd row similar in operation to the Nissans but even better, as well as build quality and materials of a very high level. Worth at least going to look at and drive one, at least if it were my money.

And no, there never was a factory supercharged Escalade. A few aftermarket ones, yes, but no OEM. With 403 hp from the factory now, it's not really something people are even clamoring for yet. I have seen a couple '07s that have been supercharged though, but with an aftermarket kit(s) as before.

brick760 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Interesting observations here. I too am comparing these 2 vehicles right now, and have test drove both several times. After having my LX470 for the last 6 years (150,000 seamless miles, not one problem) I have found that I need something new and fresh in the styling department. It's absolutely ridiculous IMHO that there is not a comparable SUV that even comes close the the LX in terms of smooth ride, luxurious interior, and down right untouchable reliability and value. Shame on Lexus for sitting on their asses for so long and letting this truly remarkable vehicle go stale and bland, and completely outdated in terms of features. Closest I have come to a luxury SUV is the Range Rover, and the wife aint hearing it. With an $ 85,000 plus price tag and a bad track record in reliability, she's not having it. However if it was going to be my vehicle, I'd still buy the RR today.

With that being said, the Caddy is nice. I am not impressed with the reliability issues to say the least, but it is a nice vehicle none the less. Interior luxury is the typical American wannabee quality. Feels good when new, but wears out very quickly. Seen many that are 2 to 3 years old and the interiors look terrible and worn out. The Q is probably the closest to the LX simply because it is Japanese, but the ride is a bit stiff and bumpy and the interior quality is not quite up to par. However, the price tag does reflect the lack of true quality, which I think is more than fair.

It's pretty hard at this point to make a decision. Wife is leaning towards the ESV, simply because of the room.

Sorry for the little amount of substance in this post, but just thought I would state my humble opinion on the absurdity of this ever so popular SUV market with so little to offer in terms of a "complete" vehicle. Really not sold on any of them.

Actually, the new '07 Escalades are in a completely different world than what it sounds like you thought of the older ones. They definately had cheaper construction, and for all intensive purposes, were well dressed Chevys in terms of their materials and basic structures.

The Infiniti still needs considerable work in terms of it's materials and such, and could also probably stand some more suspension modifications and body strength upgrades, but is still a nice ride. The new Escalade is definately more impressive in terms of finishes, materials, and the likes, though.

It is a shame there still isn't a new big Lexus, and true that a lot still can't match on that overall feeling of refinement and quality they have.

You could always go with another new Lexus, but having said that your wife liked the ESV, I really think you'd be happy with it. There have not been reliability problems, and the interiors are top notch (if maybe still a touch below a Lexus/MB/etc. in a few very minor areas), and they're just first class trucks.

The Infiniti still has the much nicer pricetag and much better packaging & space (at least compared to a short Escalade), though, so that's still something to consider--if you're already fine with the rest of it's package.

Something still mighty attractive about a new Lexus LX, however. They still come off as the rarer "king", even if they don't have the best space or latest and greatest toy.

I'm in a similar place as brick. My last SUV was a Landcruiser. I leased it for 4 years and had to return it. The LC was perfect in all respects except for size. Didn't like the double fold down seats for 3rd row.
    I too am very disappointed that Lexus didn't take the Sequioa and beef up the engine and "upscale" it. But the new Escalade and QX are a class above this old outclassed Seq.
    I'm also surprised that honda didn't seize the opportunity to "supersize" the Pilot. The pilot is another great quality SUV but too small and weak.

The new Suburban is starting to grow on me now. It's huge but not dorky looking like the Excursion.

I'm still trying to find some real world performance numbers for the Escalade. With that much hp and tq advantage over the QX, shouldn't it blow it away?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.