CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know

2005 CTS-V vs. 2006 300C SRT-8

If some are hoping that Iím going to bash the CTS-V or have some axe to grind you can stop reading here. This will be a discussion of the finer points of each vehicle.

Amenities Ė The SRT-8 has everything the CTS-V has plus the following; uConnect cell phone, voice commands, bluetooth compatible, auto stick (more on this later), Sirius Satellite radio 1 year service vs. 3 months, back-up sensors, adjustable pedals, tilt and telescope with unlimited positions, steering wheel controls for just about everything. I like the layout, look and feel of the dash better in the SRT-8 as well. I do miss the Vís digital speedo, digital climate control vs. analog in the SRT, G-meter and larger NAV screen. The seats are infinitely adjustable in both and easy to find a comfortable position. The SRT is larger and feels it, especially when youíre carrying 4 adults.

Fit, Finish & Materials Ė
    Again the SRT has some very nice touches that really donít convey with pictures. You have to feel them. The SRT seats are much nicer, with bolsters that actually hold you. Center counsel feels sturdy and substantial vs. flimsy in the V. The SRT dash layout is easy to navigate and the buttons are classy, as are the materials. The center stack overlay frankly looks like a cheap add-on though and looks out of place. The Vís buttons are not as nice, especially on the NAV system. (Which peeled twice on my Vís) The tach and speedo in the V are easier to read, especially at speed. Door panels in both cars are laughable and should not be on ANY vehicle commanding over $47,000! Carpet in the V is MUCH better, thick and lush. The SRTís looks fresh out of a Neon. Paint on both cars shows orange peel, although subtle, itís there. The metal flake on the Brilliant Black SRT-8 is a nice touch. Exhaust tips on the SRT look like thin aftermarket add-ons vs. the classy, though small stock Vís.

Wheels and Tires Ė Both Companies should be bitch slapped here. GM for using a 6 lug wheel and eliminating all hopes of an aftermarket. Chrysler for using 20" rims with only 2 choices available for replacement. Think Iím kidding? Go search 245/45/20 and 255/45/20. RSAís and F1ís THATíS IT! GMís EMTís give up the ghost at 5,000 miles. Chryslerís mighty meats offer little grip vs. 425 ft.lbs. of torque while roasting themselves to the rims and offering no hint that theyíre spinning.

Engine and Transmission Ė Both vehicles have done amazing things with these American V8ís. The Vís power with 3.73 gears and 6 speed is ALWAYS on. Unlimited power is available when and where you need it. The much-lamented stock shifter in the V is inexcusable. Vague and rubbery it will betray you when youíre trying hard to shift quickly. The SRTís power is more discreet. 3.08 rear gears and a mountain of torque that just keeps pulling until you look down and canít believe youíre doing 100 mph in 11 seconds. Ahh, behold the power of torque. The transmission does nothing to let you know you just went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Only the rpm changes and exhaust note give it away. Both cars are civil and quiet when needed and both can bark loudly when asked. Anyone who hasnít driven the new generation auto-stick will be pleasantly surprised. Unlike the old system, this one will actually hold the gear up to and including your bouncing off the rev limiter. Tool down the highway at just under 60 and you can downshift into 2nd, catch rubber and launch the SRT on a highway blast. You can also shift the SRT like a manual all the time and itís almost as rewarding as perfectly shifting the V. Almost.

Handling and Stability Control vs. ESP - The Vís four modes of ALL ON, ALL OFF, TRACTION OFF and COMPETITIVE DRIVING are superior to the SRTís. The Competitive Mode in the V is the most confidence inspiring electrical co-pilot Iíve ever experienced. This mode will allow you to spin the wheels, get sideways (but not too sideways) and literally throw this car around. The V is also MUCH happier being tossed around a track than the SRT is. The SRT will do fine and perform at nearly the level of the V. Itís just not happy about it. The ESP is good and does a fine job of keeping you from over driving a corner and embarrassing yourself at a stoplight by literally sitting and spinning. Turn it off and you can dial in some more fun, but wait, what just happened? Itís not really all the way off. ESP is still watching and lying in wait and if it doesnít like what the yaw sensor just felt your getting dialed back. Damn it! Itís my $47,000 car and if I want to wreck it I should damned well be allowed to. Hmph!

Price and Warranty Ė The Caddyís warranty is better with 4yr/50,000 miles of worry free driving including roadside assistance. A loaner is also readily available on any service visit. The Chrysler warranty is 3yr/36,000 miles, a loaner for the first year only and roadside assistance for 3 years. We all heard the early rumors of a $39,995 SRT and Iím sure that car exists. But to option it up to the Caddyís level youíll be in the $46,500 range. Mine did not have the rear DVD system which adds another $1,150. You can find Vís all day long for $47,500 vs. their $51,000 msrp or should be able to by now. My SRT-8 stickered at $46,745, which I talked down to $46,245. Not my best work, but considering all the circumstances a good deal. I opted for a 4yr/100,000 mile warranty for an additional $1,500. So out the door minus TTT was $47,745. So itís virtually a wash on price.

Final Thoughts Ė These really are two completely different vehicles in character, styling, power delivery, handling, etc. Comparing the two is inevitable because the performance is so close as to be negligible. The cars will be cross-shopped and the new owners loving each for completely different reasons. In fact, my guess would be that what you love about one youíd hate about the other. Ultimately Iíd love to own one of each, as I donít think either can fully satisfy every need I have in a performance sedan. For instance I canít see taking the SRT to the track although I know I could. At times I wished the V had an automatic because the 6 speed was nearly impossible to drive smoothly. All in all they are both great cars. Drive them both and youíll immediately know where you belong.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know

I found absolutely nothing useful from this post.

No problem Big Jim, now run along to the NHTSA to file your complaint.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    No problem Big Jim, now run along to the NHTSA to file your complaint.
    Already have, nah!

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i like the original post in this thread but i think you already fell in love with your car and it shows on your recent posts

V-SATX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V RedLine

Frankly, the 300 is just plain ugly!!!

Sorry that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_concours
    i like the post but i think you already fell in love with your car and it shows on your recent posts
    Not in love yet, but definitely in like. I miss truly shifting and the handling feel of the V. What I don't miss is not worth re-living on every post so I choose to not bring it up. I bought two V's because I loved the V and knew there's nothing like it. My post above is objective. The numbers show it's just as fast. The price is the price, the options are the options. Go drive an SRT and you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by V-SATX
    Frankly, the 300 is just plain ugly!!!

Sorry that is just my opinion.
    Yes. That's why I didn't go down that road. People say the V looks plain. People say the 300 looks over done. In black, in person the 300 looks sinister. I do hate the rims though. A little too much.

V-Max Guest

Congrats, I guess. I am glad you did not reconsider a 3rd V as it would have been your 3rd strike, or would it be the General's?

It was nice to see the comparison as we have seen a few owners become discouraged with GM's handling of their halo 4-door sports car. Keep us up to date on the whole experience with Chrysler's performance product. I think you'll find the MB derived drivetrain a little more durable.

Norm

DILLIGAF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune

As always good post,did you look at the charger too?I'm hoping you have good luck with your new car and extra glad your still hanging out in here with us and not the dodge ***s.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Max
    Congrats, I guess. I am glad you did not reconsider a 3rd V as it would have been your 3rd strike, or would it be the General's?

It was nice to see the comparison as we have seen a few owners become discouraged with GM's handling of their halo 4-door sports car. Keep us up to date on the whole experience with Chrysler's performance product. I think you'll find the MB derived drivetrain a little more durable.

Norm
    I stayed as long as I could. The jokes regarding the Caddy at work were especially hard to take. Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine). He tells two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on. My situation did not help Cadillac's image. My co-workers were even surprised that I kept the V as long as I did. My lack of patience is notorious in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by rp64ctsv
    As always good post,did you look at the charger too?I'm hoping you have good luck with your new car and extra glad your still hanging out in here with us and not the dodge ***s.
    The 300C forum is dead for one. Unless I'm not in the right one. Kinda like going to the "other" forum to talk about the V. The Charger does not interest me at all. I just don't like the way it looks, especially with the rear wing. Plus you can't get all the options in the Charger like the 300C.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    I stayed as long as I could. The jokes regarding the Caddy at work were especially hard to take. Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine). He tells two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on. My situation did not help Cadillac's image. My co-workers were even surprised that I kept the V as long as I did. My lack of patience is notorious in the office.
    i'm sort of in the same situation. Everyone knows me at work and they always notice that i brought a rental to work

In last 3 months, following new cars showed up in the parking lot
    M45, GS300 AWD, E320 Diesel, RL, IS300, IS250 AWD, CLK55 AMG....

All brand new models except CLK55 AMG

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Until recently, I had never been able to warm up to the Chrysler. Like the CTS, there were a million plain vanilla versions on the street being driven by geezers. Unlike the CTS, the Chrysler also has a large contingent of bling-bling playas as well.

That changed a couple of months ago when I pulled into a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike and parked next to an SRT-8 in a really cool steel blue color. The car really caught my eye. The SRT styling cues really improve the external appearance of the car. At the recent DC Car Show, I had an opportunity to sit in one and I must agree that the seats were very nice and the SRT trim was a nice touch. I believe that Chrysler offers an all-wheel drive version, but I may be wrong.

Being the owner of a Hemi Jeep, I am also drooling over the new Grand Cherokee SRT-8. It is a ridiculously impractical vehicle, but practicality has never been my strong point. I want one, bad.

In today's market, there are some great choices for under $50k.

CR

CR,

Totally agree. If the wife would have the Jeep SRT-8 vs. the Tahoe, there'd be one in our driveway tonight. Her taste is more mini-ute these days. As you stated, I must admit that when I see a 300C rolling on 22" rims with a chromed grille, I pray they don't wave at me hoping I'll wave back. But I've seen a few CTS's dressed this way as well especially where I live.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.