CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; No AWD 300 SRT-8, yet....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: CTS-V vs. 300C SRT-8 from someone who should know

No AWD 300 SRT-8, yet.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick reply to this message Reply  

AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Of the executives in our office 8 have purchased new vehicles in the past 2 months. 1 Acura, 1 BMW, 3 Lexus, 3 300C's (including mine).
    I highlighted the key point of why I'll never even consider this car. Everyone has one and if that isn't bad enough the Magnums are about 3 parts away from being one and the Chargers are maybe 2. I saw them so much last time I was in Vegas I about puked. They actually make the Mustang feel like a nice rare car.

I stopped reading your review at autostick, Sirius... JK. But auto = no thanks. Giving up O&A = no thanks.

My cousin had a 300C before he traded it at less than 6 months old for my Silvy SS. My biggest complaint was I hated the interior. I'm glad you at least mentioned the cheap carpet otherwise I was going to wonder what you were smoking. My second biggest complaint was that it was just a pain in the ass to mod. I've done a lot of stuff to my GTO right in the driveway. Everything we tried to do with his 300 ended up with us putting the parts back in the box and him leaving pissed off. When we tried to see what others did on the forums no dice. Either they hadn't done it or they paid some shop to do it.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    CR,

I must admit that when I see a 300C rolling on 22" rims with a chromed grille, I pray they don't wave at me hoping I'll wave back. But I've seen a few CTS's dressed this way as well especially where I live.

I'm seeing more and more of those VXTI dealer "creations." Just awful.

If you are seriously considering the 300 SRT-8, take a look at that silver blue color. It seems to tone down the wheels and the SRT-8 badges really look good on it.

CR

AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Just so that I'm not all pissy with my posts.... CVP33 I love what you did on your V and I hope you can give the 300 some of the same treatment.

I'm not trying to run you off either I really hope you stick around. I just really had high hopes for your next car. I thought for sure I was going to be jealous.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    I highlighted the key point of why I'll never even consider this car. Everyone has one and if that isn't bad enough the Magnums are about 3 parts away from being one and the Chargers are maybe 2. I saw them so much last time I was in Vegas I about puked. They actually make the Mustang feel like a nice rare car.

I stopped reading your review at autostick, Sirius... JK. But auto = no thanks. Giving up O&A = no thanks.

My cousin had a 300C before he traded it at less than 6 months old for my Silvy SS. My biggest complaint was I hated the interior. I'm glad you at least mentioned the cheap carpet otherwise I was going to wonder what you were smoking. My second biggest complaint was that it was just a pain in the ass to mod. I've done a lot of stuff to my GTO right in the driveway. Everything we tried to do with his 300 ended up with us putting the parts back in the box and him leaving pissed off. When we tried to see what others did on the forums no dice. Either they hadn't done it or they paid some shop to do it.
    GSM out in California is doing some nice work on these vehicles right now. There's an article in C&D I believe with their s/c, pcm reflash and shock upgrade. The car ran a 12.4 as I recall. As far as the easy mod's there just really isn't anything you can do to the 300 without going farther overboard. The styling is already at the edge. I always saw the V as more of a canvas to add to without getting out of hand. I've stared under the hood of the 300 and I don't know what I'd change. Same with the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by crowan

I'm seeing more and more of those VXTI dealer "creations." Just awful.

If you are seriously considering the 300 SRT-8, take a look at that silver blue color. It seems to tone down the wheels and the SRT-8 badges really look good on it.

CR
    Crowan,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. On Friday I traded in my 2005 CTS-V for a 2006 300C SRT-8. It's Brilliant Black Pearl Coat with all options except rear DVD. And by the way, NOTHING can tone down those wheels, NOTHING! So far my only outright HATE.

Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    Just so that I'm not all pissy with my posts.... CVP33 I love what you did on your V and I hope you can give the 300 some of the same treatment.

I'm not trying to run you off either I really hope you stick around. I just really had high hopes for your next car. I thought for sure I was going to be jealous.
    It's official, I've changed my avatar, ownership and signature. My posts will never be "in your face" unless I'm goaded into it. By now you all know I'm not a troll. I will definitely stay around because there is unfinished business that I want to see resolved for everyone here.

My next car was nearly a C6 but at the last minute I just couldn't do it. For my job, a Corvette totally disconnects me from my TEAM. I can only explain it as, imagine that you bust your ass everyday and your boss is driving a $350,000 Maybach and telling you you're overpaid and not trying hard enough. That becomes a pretty hard sell as you speed away. The 300 and CTS are unassuming enough to be nearly an everyman's car. I can live with that. I'd rather be underestimated any day of the week.

You guys are my internet pals. The ones I've had the pleasure of meeting in person have re-emphasized my belief that car guys are good guys. I have no intention of leaving such an active, informative and fun forum. Carry on gentlemen, as we have much to do.

crowan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Doh!! My bad. So much for speed reading.

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to hearing your review as the miles pile up.

CR

ace996 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Lemon Law'd '05 V

Good for you, Chris. I hope you find peace with the SRT, Lord knows you deserve it.
    Regarding the wheels, and here's my track-dog speaking...Would 18" wheels fit over the brakes? Here's why I bring it up...
    1. DUBS....uh, should I go on? Are they chrome? Shit, paint them black or gunmetal if they are....Chrome DUBS???....what's next, a gold tooth with a Diamond in it???
    2. Your point of tire choices...
    3. Wheels replacements, winter wheels, track wheels, ect...18s would be cheaper and have a much better selection of quality "motorsport" rims. You'd be my absolute hero running with SSR Comps in gunmetal, enough where I could forgive the autotranny....
    4. 18s are lighter, therefore would be faster and turn quicker...no doubt reducing the "heavy" feeling on transitions and steering.
    5. Who the Hell would ever go -2 from DUBS to 18s!!!!!! That would just take a huge set of balls, and probably make every Playa brain-freeze in total incomprehension of reality. And it would tone-down the car, making it much more of a sneaky-sleeper than it already is. Heck, just to keep it from getting it stolen I'd debadge it the first day. Then you beat on everyone who thinks you've just added different "cheap" 18s to your pedestrian 300.

All kidding aside, best of luck to you. And know that your Miglias are being used well, and another forum member is ready to take over when I also make the switch. Good to hear you're staying for a while,
    ace

V Amazed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Chris, have you ever driven a regular hemi 300c? I had one as a rental when my V was in the shop. Impressions were not too terribly favorable, and I was just wondering if you had a comparison. A few low points for me that I was wondring if they improved on the SRT model was the fakey aluminum interior, sound system, and fake wood trim. Additionally, I thought the car felt like a big boat. Ironically, I enjoyed beating the piss out of it though. I know absolutely nothing about the SRT-8 upgrades besides the obvious body mods, engine/tranny, wheels, etc.

Ben

jspinetto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Nice objective review.

Congrats on the new car.

BTW, how much did they give on the trade and how many miles did you have ?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jspinetto
    Nice objective review.

Congrats on the new car.

BTW, how much did they give on the trade and how many miles did you have ?

Jonathan
    Trade in is a joke. They started at $32,000 and I worked them up from there. A monumental task as the V sat in their lot with a blown tranny, unable to be road tested. The V was a 2005, roof, platinum, worn tires and 29,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by V Amazed
    Chris, have you ever driven a regular hemi 300c? I had one as a rental when my V was in the shop. Impressions were not too terribly favorable, and I was just wondering if you had a comparison. A few low points for me that I was wondring if they improved on the SRT model was the fakey aluminum interior, sound system, and fake wood trim. Additionally, I thought the car felt like a big boat. Ironically, I enjoyed beating the piss out of it though. I know absolutely nothing about the SRT-8 upgrades besides the obvious body mods, engine/tranny, wheels, etc.

Ben
    I've never driven a Hemi C but strangely, I'd driven a V6 on vacation about a year ago and actually enjoyed it. The SRT-8 adds about as much suspension and driveline changes as the V adds to the base CTS. So they really are different animals when compared to thier more pedestrian cousins. There's not fake aluminum, no wood at all and the sound system with KICKER sub which I should've mentioned earlier literally blows the V's bose system away. There's no comparison there. I literally cannot stand the volume on full. This coming form a guy who drove a gutted header, x-piped V for cryin' out loud. The bass will shake the mirrors to the point of rendering them useless.

Quote Originally Posted by ace996
    Good for you, Chris. I hope you find peace with the SRT, Lord knows you deserve it.
    Regarding the wheels, and here's my track-dog speaking...Would 18" wheels fit over the brakes? Here's why I bring it up...
    1. DUBS....uh, should I go on? Are they chrome? Shit, paint them black or gunmetal if they are....Chrome DUBS???....what's next, a gold tooth with a Diamond in it???
    2. Your point of tire choices...
    3. Wheels replacements, winter wheels, track wheels, ect...18s would be cheaper and have a much better selection of quality "motorsport" rims. You'd be my absolute hero running with SSR Comps in gunmetal, enough where I could forgive the autotranny....
    4. 18s are lighter, therefore would be faster and turn quicker...no doubt reducing the "heavy" feeling on transitions and steering.
    5. Who the Hell would ever go -2 from DUBS to 18s!!!!!! That would just take a huge set of balls, and probably make every Playa brain-freeze in total incomprehension of reality. And it would tone-down the car, making it much more of a sneaky-sleeper than it already is. Heck, just to keep it from getting it stolen I'd debadge it the first day. Then you beat on everyone who thinks you've just added different "cheap" 18s to your pedestrian 300.

All kidding aside, best of luck to you. And know that your Miglias are being used well, and another forum member is ready to take over when I also make the switch. Good to hear you're staying for a while,
    ace
    I was anxiously awaiting your post and as expected you cracked me up. Especially the "-2", "dubs" and finally the coup de grace "playa brain-freeze". That my friends is the trifecta of comedy.

Geno is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V

Hey Chris,

You caught me by surprise. I knew you were unloading the "V", just didn't picture the SRT. Of course, being a tech-e type, I guess I don't have a lot of viseral imagination.

When we visited a couple of weeks ago, we got a good feelin' from our short visit. So I don't have any reservations about your pick and I'm happy you're happy. As a matter of fact, I think it's kind of neat when considering the possiblities of visiting VIR and hanging the two cars out. VIR has a good combination of straights and curves so lap times should be close. The SRT may even have an advantage with the auto transmission. I bet a lot of people don't realize that Jim Hall's Chapparels (sp) from the 60's had autos.

Hang in there and hope to see more of your posts. I'll send you an e-mail every now and then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.