Lexus 4.6L v8 making 380hp??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Lexus 4.6L v8 making 380hp?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ok now im really pised off...what the hell is cadillac doing wrong that they cant squeeze out 380hp or more ...
    1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Lexus 4.6L v8 making 380hp??

ok now im really pised off...what the hell is cadillac doing wrong that they cant squeeze out 380hp or more like the lexus is with the same exact displacement....as most GM engines its basic pushrod technology which would make me understand why they couldnt achieve high HP...but this 4.6L northstar is a 32V DOHC engine!!! only 320??? god damn caddy...get ur head in the game!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

krypt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Lexus 4.6L v8 making 380hp??

That's because the new 4.6L engine from Lexus features Direct Injection. The northstar will be making 380 if not more in 2 years. (2008 model year). We don't know what the 2007 changes will be, but I doubt direct injection will be added.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Does it really matter when you can go buy a blown 4.4 in an STS-V or XLR-V?

Lexus doesn't have a 469hp motor. Damn it Lexus get your head in the game...

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Does it really matter when you can go buy a blown 4.4 in an STS-V or XLR-V?

Lexus doesn't have a 469hp motor. Damn it Lexus get your head in the game...
    I think you're missing his point. You can't compare the S/C Northstar to a N/A Lexus engine. That's apples to oranges. Be fair.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

It's a never ending HP war! 10 years ago, Cadillacs were hot with 300 HP, now that's nothing! Now we have Hyundais that put out almost that much.

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Yep yep yep, I read an article couple week ago ib autoweek and felt like my N* is a piece of junk. Oh well I still like it, Only 100 more horspower. More importantly its a Cadillac

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

For instance STS-V seemed to be underpowered but let's not forget , Cadillac gives you more MPG than other competitors plus you get more comfortable car and it's like all in one so to say .I mean it is sport car when you need , a luxury sedan when it is supposed to be .

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    I think you're missing his point. You can't compare the S/C Northstar to a N/A Lexus engine. That's apples to oranges. Be fair.
    That's true and all, but I don't have to be totally fair when Lexus doesn't offer a blown motor.

1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ya know whats the crappy thing....when did the 300HP N* come out...in 92 or something? so after more than 10 yrs, we gained 20 more HP??? hahah are you kiddin me....

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by krypt
    That's because the new 4.6L engine from Lexus features Direct Injection. The northstar will be making 380 if not more in 2 years. (2008 model year). We don't know what the 2007 changes will be, but I doubt direct injection will be added.
    what i dont get it, why do we have to wait 2 mroe years for them to make 380, why cant cadillac do something major FIRST. Why do they always lag on whats going on. Sure they get it, but after 2 some model years. Why cant cadillac set a standard isntead of always playing catch up.

Swine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 escalade

That Lexus STARTS at 60k.

Loaded, you'll be close to 80k (LS460)

Gee, it's a brand new engine making over 90HP than the previous generation. Maybe ownerrs of 06 models should be bitching!

Are these cars even in the same category? We're talking about $400 for every extra HP! Those are some expensive ponies!!!

Haleykeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS North*

could it be,or is it possible to upstroke the NorthStar V8 to 5.4Litres? yes i love blowers on Caddies,and they sound sweet. but it would be nice for Cadillac to go with a bigger engine with at least 425bhp and in a naturally aspirated design.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

How about the return of the 368 to the Cadillac line-up?

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Haleykeek
    could it be,or is it possible to upstroke the NorthStar V8 to 5.4Litres? yes i love blowers on Caddies,and they sound sweet. but it would be nice for Cadillac to go with a bigger engine with at least 425bhp and in a naturally aspirated design.
    This isn't FORD. It is below Cadillac's standard to increase power to simply increase the size of an engine. Besides, what would that increase in stroke do to piston speeds? Northstar is a high rev engine. Such a stroke increase would make that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    This isn't FORD. It is below Cadillac's standard to increase power to simply increase the size of an engine. Besides, what would that increase in stroke do to piston speeds? Northstar is a high rev engine. Such a stroke increase would make that difficult.
    I wouldn't say it's below Cadillac's standard... we did it in the 70s until we had the largest displacement V8 ever in a production passenger car. Worked pretty well too if I do say so myself.

But you make a good point, I don't suppose tacking on extra stroke would be too bad since we already have forged rods but I don't think 5.4L would be easy.

We could use that 7.5L XV12.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.