NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos) - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Personally, I really like the 1957-60, most specifically the 1957 Lebaron hardtop sedan with the dual headlights, I think they ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos)

Personally, I really like the 1957-60, most specifically the 1957 Lebaron hardtop sedan with the dual headlights, I think they look dumber with the single headlamps.

Pete Benson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Which series of Imperials of the past did you like, Pete?
    The 1974-1978
    The 1969-1973
    The 1967 & 1968
    The 1964-1966
    The 1961-1963
    The 1957-1960
    Just curious... If not sure, check here:-
    http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/index.htm
    Sandy / I've always admired the '57-60's most of all, but I also liked the '69-73's. I realize these last were little more than tarted-up Chryslers, but I think Imperial did the best job on the details with with the "fuselage" styling concept Mopar was pushing in those days.
    I think the '64-66's were also good looking cars, but the Elwood Engel influence ('61 Continental) was just too derivative and obvious.
    I would LOVE to see a ravishing new Imperial, but man - I just don't think this is the way to go. Chrysler can do better.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

From a family that owned 22 ( one a year from 1957 thru 1978 ) and I owned my own six, having a father who had a 1/2 uncle that owned a ICP store, trust me on this, the absolute best was the 1971. It was the pinnacle of refinement, the greatest selection, options NOBODY in the field was yet to offer, and was a joy to drive & own. Amazingly, the 1970 (just a year before) was among the worst, if not THE worst. As we all know RUST was a tremendous problem on the 1957-1960s. Okay, we weren't bothered as we had them for just 2 years (1st year with Dad, 2nd year with Mom) and then they went back to the Uncle's used car lot as "Demos" ~ ~
    In a close 2nd place were the 1974-1975. In 3rd the 1961-1963 followed closly by the 1964-1966. Their problem was weight !! They were just too heavy for thier torsion bars, their ill equipped to handle the load Pwr.Steering and their shocks. At flirting with 6,000 pounds when we had the two of them at one time ( 1964-1966) our driveway caved in !! I mean 11,400 pounds of cars in a similiar area of driveway ! Style-wise, hands downthe 1967 & 1968 and they were also at the top of the HI quality charts.

The 3 best? 1971, 1967/68 and 1974/1975.

Sandy's 1967 Convertible

Jamler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

Cool Looking... INterior is nice... But that back end is fugly..?
    Right on with the Imperial... No such car as Chrysler Imperial!!!!

well, that's not actually MY car, as back then there were no cameras to post a shot, much less computers. However, that is in fact an identcal car to mine, and for all I know, it might be mine. When you tilted the front bucket seat backs forward to get into the back, the power seat powered forward to enlarge the entracce way. If there were 4 people in the car, and you dropped off the one in the front passenger seat first, and then the two in the back seat, there was a supplementery door handle in the back, so that they could let themselves out! Everything on the dash was hidden behind individual closed panels. Stereo, heater, Air Conditioing, etc. She had a 8-Tract player and Autronic headlamps that dimmed from hi beam to regualr when an oncoming car was approaching and then resumed hi beam after no oncoming cars were arriving. Had Twilight Sentinel delay lighting and the "T.N.T." engine package which was a dual snorkel air cleaner, dual exhausts and a 3.9:1 axle ratio replacing a 3.23:1 ratio.
    At 23,000 miles I traded it for a 1972 LeBaron 4-Door Hardtop in triple black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    and the "T.N.T." engine package which was a dual snorkel air cleaner, dual exhausts and a 3.9:1 axle ratio replacing a 3.23:1 ratio.
    Jesus Sandy a 3.90:1 rear axle?!
    IIRC, all Imperials had the 440, I think around 375hp, so it had enough torque for a 2.73:1 rear end, but a 3.90:1....damn!
    That must have had some tar shredding low end torque!

I could hang right with (and surprise the heck) outta a Corvette driver ~ at least for the first 250 feet ! It also had a sever drinking habit! Sunoco 240 at 9 MPG round town ~ 13 on highway ! The ORIGINAL slurpiee

Sandy, this thread (and your stories) have inspired a new love for Imperial in me.

I have been looking around at imperialclub.com and I have come up with a few model years I like so far:
    1967 (check out the "Crown Coupe Mobile Director option...its nuts! the front seat swivels 180* and a table swivels out of the rear armrest and voila..you have a conference center IN YOUR CAR!!!!)

and the 1981's are cool too..but in a very different way.

Chrylers' engineering is very evident in these cars. They have always had these neat little ideas that neither Ford or GM has ever tried. Like the dashboard on the 1967's was totally flush, all of the controls were hidden behind doors, and the "conference room" idea I talked about earlier.

Really some neat stuff
    Chrysler really was cool from about 57-72 as far as I'm concerned!

Pete Benson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood Coupe

Sandy / While wandering through that nifty Imperial club link I suddenly remembered that the parents of a good buddy of mine from years ago had what I'm almost positive was a '63 Crown Coupe - medium metallic blue with a lighter metallic blue interior. I recall thinking it was waaaaaaaay cool, almost spectacular, at least until my parents bought a new '65 Cadillac Coupe deVille - white with black leather. Although only two model years separated the cars, the Caddy seemed far more modern and cleaner looking. Even so, that blue Imperial was still a classy ride.

Error, see below

This made me kinda laugh....
    "" 1967 (check out the "Crown Coupe Mobile Director option...its nuts! the front seat swivels 180* and a table swivels out of the rear armrest and voila..you have a conference center IN YOUR CAR!!!!) ""

You are explaining this to me (and we actually had one!) It was a terrific "Hey, look at this" kinda thing, that I'd say nobody ever really used, other than to say.... "Hey, look at this" ! It was a drop dead car, tho. Triple black, body, vinyl top & leather. The bucket seats were leather, but there were two pleats or folds that were where the "seating area" met the outter bolsters. Between the two was this 1 inch pleat of sorts and it was made of
    camel's hair ! Leather buckets trimmed in camel's hair. I bought a special little brush to brush it all back in shape, when I did the car.
    My Dad hated the car as it was a PITA when he had to take clients in it. But Mom liked the coupes so once in a while we got a coupe. We had a 1969 LeBaron coupe, all white, padded full length roof, body & leather Buckets. The car was too too too big to be all white, and of course Dad disliked it (coupe) and he called it "Mom's Milk Wagon" ~ Dad had a maroon 1970 LeBaron 4-Door with beige leather, followed by a 1971 charcoal grey 4-Dr LeBaron with black vinyl top & black leather. (Which was Sandy's #1 favorite, with the cassete/recorder on the floor and the head lite washers & scrubbers, and the power vent wings, and a Power Sun Roof. What a car !
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

http://www.fuselage.de/chr71/71chr22b.jpg

[url]

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

it is definately based on the 300 platform.... IMO a better way of using that platform! It looks way richer!

Sandy, those Imperials had so much stuff in them that Caddy and Lincoln never tried out, like that mobile director option and the cassette recorder and stuff like that.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Sandy, that must've been fun, seeing which Imperial dad would bring home each year.
    My father always wanted to project a more restrained profile, and brought home 300's and New Yorkers. Similar experience, though.
    We had a black 64 300, silver blue '66 300, and a pretty, maroon '69 300.
    Then came a '69 olive New Yorker, followed by a really nice silver 71NY with the blue roof. '72 brought a dark green/white top NY, then 75 was a triple gold NY.
    My favourite was the 77 NYBrougham, metallic brown with road wheels and brown tufted leather, 440 lean burn. Basically, an Imperial twin minus the ALB.

All great cars, the only mechanical breakdown was a head gasket at 50k on the 1975.
    At the same time, my mother had Grand Marquis' ... they definitely were inferior driver cars to the Chryslers. Those old torsion suspension systems were the king of the road for their time.
    By 1978, my folks changed to Fleetwoods and Town Cars ... and my love affair for Caddy's was born.
    I also have a deep affinity for high end Chryslers ... my next car will almost certainly be a slightly used 300C ... I really don't like the new STS/CTS/DTS designs.

Did Chrysler design the Torsion Ride suspension system?
    Or did they just put it in a lot of luxury cars and make it more mainstream?
    IIRC, they came out with it around 1957 on the 300C's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.