NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Never liked chryslers, still don't. (Except '66-'72 musclecars, of course)...
    DaveDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos)

Never liked chryslers, still don't. (Except '66-'72 musclecars, of course)

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Yeah the Marks ARE nice. I guess it's no mystery which is my favorite though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

The Mark VII and later the VIII were really a new direction for the Marks. They were sleek, aerodynamic, very modern looking cars with 5 person seating, tons of electronics, and they were designed and built to compete with the Imports, namely the BMW 6 Series, M-B 380SEC, and later on the SC400 and Acura Legend.

The Marks were always the sportiest Lincolns, but the VII and VIII were world class sport luxury coupes.

That being said, my favorites are the 1976 Mark IV in Cartier trim, and the 1996 Mark VIII LSC.

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If I started typing now, and didn't stop until Gabriel blew his horn, I could not fully express my hatred of this thing. A graceless lump. When I first saw the studio photos I thought it was someones shop/chop joke. Then I see that it is indeed real and Chrysler (with a STRAIGHT FACE!) is showing it to the world. This will take Chrysler years to live-down. Imagine allowing your companies' reputation for excellence in design to be ruined with just one mistake like this. If you haven't yet, go to www.autoextremist.com and read his take on this and lots of other NAIAS stuff.

As taken from Autoextremist.com:

But without question, the concept that set Chrysler Design back at least 25 years (and sent the design community as a whole into shock) was the relentlessly hideous Imperial Concept. Imagine if Wal*Mart decided to get in the car business overnight and the market they were absolutely convinced they could succeed in was the $300,000+ Rolls-Royce Phantom/Mercedes-Benz Maybach niche. Being Wal*Mart, of course, they would locate a junior college with a burgeoning wannabe automotive design program (a friend of a friend of a guy over in marketing who's their resident "car guy" said these guys were "good") and commence initial design work. After a month or so and a couple of reviews, they call it "perfect" and then contract an unknown, unnamed manufacturer in China to build the car, so that they can bring it in to the U.S. market for $49,995. And here it is... Chrysler Imperial Concept.
    In what will surely go down in recent automotive design history as a gross miscalculation at best and an unmitigated disaster at worst, the Chrysler Imperial is one "blue sky" design notion that should never have gotten past the initial design "idea" meeting. Clumsily rendered and saddled with comical Toon Car proportions, the Imperial is simply the most embarrassing concept in my recent memory - and when it comes to design turkeys, I have a lengthy one. There is not one good angle, line, crease or fold on this "thing" - not one. How could this atrocity have been allowed to happen? After all, the men and women at Chrysler Design are plenty talented and capable, but Imperial is a complete travesty, a design disaster of incalculable proportions. I could go on, but I won't bother. Suffice to say, Chrysler's grand design legacy was virtually destroyed literally overnight by one monumentally bad judgment call - and it will be years before they'll live this down. Not a couple of car show seasons, folks, but years.

Damn I hate when people sugar-coat their opinons!

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I really like that! WOW! I'd love to see that at an autoshow in a few years!

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Isn't it funny with this whole new generation of cars.... something that the auto world tried so hard to get away from in the late 80's and did in the 90's and now its all coming around.....

BOX IS BACK

Yup, the new cars are boxy and I love it! Funny how everyone made fun of 70's and 80's cars calling them boxes... yet these same people love these new cars... folks, it is basically my '79 DeVille and instead of right angle edges, they are rounded off..... no more jelly beans!

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS, 2002 Deville DTS/ Now with Navigation!

The new Green Hornet Black Beauty! Where is Kato when you need him.

David

Randy_W is offline Banned

Damn I hate when people sugar-coat their opinons!
    Kat, I'm with you on this one, as I said before, that is one ugly bastard of a car!

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I hate to say it but I feel the same about this Imperial.. At first, when I only saw it from the side - and could not tell how short it was, I loved it (as I love the look of the Phantom). But once I saw how stubby it was - and got an idea on what the front would look like - I stopped liking it..

I think Chrysler has the right idea with these types of cars - like the 300.. Yes, it has sort of a Bentley look to it - but what's wrong with that? Nothing, really. I love it.. Because of Chrysler, people can spend relatively little money and drive a car that looks extremely expensive.

If they make some major changes before the Imperial hits showroom floors, they may really have a winner on their hands.. Imagine driving a car that looks like a $300,000 Rolls Royce for $50,000?
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Is it possible for RR to trademark the design or sue Chrysler?

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

You are all just very jealous of a design that will be hughly successful, with the Hip Hop generation, in film, and ultimately, like the 300C, a raving success. Herewith is "First Base" in this outta the park, bases loaded, home run:-

Friday, January 13, 2006

Drivers pick Imperial concept car as the best vehicle at the show

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Drivers' Choice Awards

The Drivers' Choice awards are presented by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, David J. Butler, editor and publisher of The Detroit News, and Steve Wasserman, vice president and general manager of WDIV-TV.

Drivers' choices

Here's what some members of the drivers' panel had to say about their favorite vehicles at the show.

O’Dell Tate

Lashell Williams

Leah Richards Inabnitt

Jerry Modzelewski

Ada Smith

Bob Cruzet

Jennifer Stocking

DETROIT — Our readers have spoken.

The Imperial large sedan concept was named best of show in the second-annual Detroit News/Local 4 Driver's Choice Awards.

The winners were chosen by a 100-member Detroit News reader panel who spent three hours touring the 2006 North American International Auto Show earler this week.

The awards were announced at a Detroit Economic Club luncheon at Cobo Center Friday by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, which owns The Detroit News.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda, who accepted the three awards on behalf of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the honors are important because they are chosen by consumers.

He was especially pleased that the Imperial won best of show.

"I think it"s a testimony to the talent of our designers,” LaSorda said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    You are all just very jealous of a design that will be hughly successful, with the Hip Hop generation, in film, and ultimately, like the 300C, a raving success. Herewith is "First Base" in this outta the park, bases loaded, home run:-

Friday, January 13, 2006

Drivers pick Imperial concept car as the best vehicle at the show

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Drivers' Choice Awards

The Drivers' Choice awards are presented by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, David J. Butler, editor and publisher of The Detroit News, and Steve Wasserman, vice president and general manager of WDIV-TV.

Drivers' choices

Here's what some members of the drivers' panel had to say about their favorite vehicles at the show.

O’Dell Tate

Lashell Williams

Leah Richards Inabnitt

Jerry Modzelewski

Ada Smith

Bob Cruzet

Jennifer Stocking

DETROIT — Our readers have spoken.

The Imperial large sedan concept was named best of show in the second-annual Detroit News/Local 4 Driver's Choice Awards.

The winners were chosen by a 100-member Detroit News reader panel who spent three hours touring the 2006 North American International Auto Show earler this week.

The awards were announced at a Detroit Economic Club luncheon at Cobo Center Friday by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, which owns The Detroit News.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda, who accepted the three awards on behalf of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the honors are important because they are chosen by consumers.

He was especially pleased that the Imperial won best of show.

"I think it"s a testimony to the talent of our designers,” LaSorda said.

Sany, I admit, it will be a big hit on Eight Mile Road!

I'd like to see the 100 people from Huntington woods or Bloomfield Hills vote, I'll bet the result wouldn't be the same as the 'Yo Boy Detroit' vote.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Just because there's a good deal of positive press about something, it doesn't mean it's a great car, or will be a success on the showroom floor where it counts. There's been many cars over the years that were voted as "Car of the year" or something similar yet they turned out to be junk. I can remember right off the top of my head, that there was similar buzz surrounding the old Chevy Citation and I think we can all agree that car was a POS.
    Even IF the car actually IS a hit with the hip-hop crowd, it certainly doesn't mean that it will be a sales hit, or that I will ever like it. Like I said before, who knows, maybe it'll grow on me, other designs have.

Like I said before, who knows, maybe it'll grow on me,
    Kat, if that ever grows on you,it'll be like a boil, you'll need to get it lanced!

My wife had an X-11 Citation and didn't have any problems, but we only had it about 2 years, I know of many others that were worthless. The brakes sucked, but also about then, build quality was bad with all companies, even the imports had issues with it. Let's just say, the X-cars aren't collectables, yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.