Cadillac Owners Forum banner
32K views 89 replies 32 participants last post by  I~LUV~Caddys8792 
#1 · (Edited)
i found these on a concept car website I usually check out now and then. well, all i can say about the Chrysler Imperial concept is that it looks.........ummm.......well, imperial (in a rolls-roycey kinda way :shhh: )

See less See more
#27 ·
I must say, I think it's ugly too. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me like other cars have. I didn't really like the looks of the 300C when it first came out either so I guess a design CAN grow on you. Time will tell. I think Chrysler DOES need a car like the Imperial, so it'll be interesting to see if it sells.

#29 ·
Those nasty guts remind me of a reapolstered car from the 70's... Lovin that car!

#31 ·
Keep in mind this is a concept car. PT Cruiser aside, concept cars rarely make it to production with all cool stuff intact. I predict those suicide doors will be gone - liability lawyers will be standing in line to file the first lawsuit when one of those doors drags some poor sap out on to the freeway at 70 mph.

Those floating headlights are butt ugly. They remind me of the 1960-61 Imperials.
The dash and interior are awesome. Chrysler stylists are still the best at pushing the envelope.

If you want one of these, wait a couple of years. Imperials have a tradition of losing 60% of their value in the first year, and 30% more the second year. If the sticker is 50k, you can probably own one in 2009 for 15k.

#32 ·
No, I'm not waiting! I want MY options and MYcolor scheme and I want it brand new, under 10 miles.

Thinking black, cream interior. This will be Imperial # 28. (I think...)
Only problem I see is what dealer to buy it at. I will not set foot in any Mega monster highway wowzer slam bam store. I'd like to find a very very small little dealer out in the boonies. Wait...there are NO boonies in Jersey ..... that way I'll get really good service, if need be. Anybody here from Jersey know of a really tiny Chrysler store ?? Rahway Motors in Rahway looks good. I think they sell like 10 a month.

#33 ·
Sandy said:
No, I'm not waiting! I want MY options and MYcolor scheme and I want it brand new, under 10 miles.

Thinking black, cream interior. This will be Imperial # 28. (I think...)
Only problem I see is what dealer to buy it at. I will not set foot in any Mega monster highway wowzer slam bam store. I'd like to find a very very small little dealer out in the boonies. Wait...there are NO boonies in Jersey ..... that way I'll get really good service, if need be. Anybody here from Jersey know of a really tiny Chrysler store ?? Rahway Motors in Rahway looks good. I think they sell like 10 a month.

You go for it Sandy! I agree there's nothing like owning a brand new car, especially one as cool as this - I just have a hard time parting with the money. Guess that explains why I'm driving an '87 SDV.

You are smack on target with the small dealer thing. I've worked at both, and the little guys are definitely the choice of smart buyers. They work hard to please you and keep you. At the mega-stores, you're just another sap to be tapped.

Post some pics when you land your Imperial so we can drool.

#37 ·
Well, I spent a LONG TIME on BOTH the Rolls Royce site AND the Bentley site (Corporate sites....)
I'll tell you exactly what MOPAR copied. They began with the R.R. and took
the belly. That is, from the bottom of the windshield (by the windshield wipers) back to the bottom of the rear window, where it meets the trunk lid. In so doing, they omitted the "C" window of the R.R. {Small little vertical window, just behind the rear door's major glass}. Then they added their own (MOPAR) rear decklid and added Bentley taillamps. At the front, they kept the R.R. style front fenders, and R.R. style grille & grille cap ~ changing them from vertical, to horizontal, and then deleted the R.R. headlamps (rectangle) and added identical Bentley Arnage headlamps.
I can see why the altered the rear of the car. On the R.R. or the Bentley Arnage, it's the rear that is the least recognizable. If a person is shown the front or the side, they are gonna know it's a R.R. ~ but from the back, (the trunk lid, rear bumper cover, and rear fender tops, it's not very definative as a R.R.)
By theway, I was surprised to see the both the Bentley & R.R. are offered in forty-one different colors! WOW. My guess is that the Imperial will ofer no more than 10.
This car is gonna be a home run with the Hip-Hop crew, and be a star in videos, and like the trend setters that they are, it will cross over to mainstream, like theNavagator did, like the Escalade did and like many clothing styles did. Like it, or hate it, this car stands out with its 213 inch length and 63.5 inch height, on the road, it will command attention. Definately NOT "me-too"

#39 ·
the problem i see with the Imperials proportions is its too tall for how wide it is. I notice this especially from the rear, the tailights look so close together. They need to make it a bit wider or bring the hieght down a bit. It just looks gaudy with its current stance in my opinion.

#40 ·
headlights need to be built around more (looks like eye balls with nothing surronding them), also the rear end def. needs some work and for gods sake that chrysler emblem has got to go :p atleast on mine it would. i dont think it needs a hood ornament, that would make it look too much like the RR Phantom, if it isnt already.

the interior is great :thumbsup: , also like the suicide doors.

#41 ·
I love Gaudy! Gaudy is my middle mane ;)

II love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it ! lI love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !ove iI love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !t - I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !
I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !
I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !

:spin: :spin: :spin: :rolling: :excited: :gnome: :wes: :burn:

#43 ·
Sandy said:
I love Gaudy! Gaudy is my middle mane ;)
Sandy, If you love gaudy so much then what do you think of the 1974-79 Lincolns? They are a gaudy car, but not to the point of being pointlessly gaudy. Also, the 1974 Cadillacs are probably the gaudiest Caddys made in the '70s.

#45 ·
I have always loved the Mark Series Lincolns, they are one of my favorite car nameplates of all time. I would love to have a 1978 Mark V Bill Blass Edition in the white and navy blue exterior, with the full vinyl roof and IIRC, it had dark blue leather. I like the Mark VI's too, but they are quite underpowered for my tastes. Its funny that they look so small when compared to the IV or V, but its the exact same length as the 68-71 Mark III, 216" total length.

#48 ·
The Mark VII and later the VIII were really a new direction for the Marks. They were sleek, aerodynamic, very modern looking cars with 5 person seating, tons of electronics, and they were designed and built to compete with the Imports, namely the BMW 6 Series, M-B 380SEC, and later on the SC400 and Acura Legend.

The Marks were always the sportiest Lincolns, but the VII and VIII were world class sport luxury coupes.

That being said, my favorites are the 1976 Mark IV in Cartier trim, and the 1996 Mark VIII LSC.

#49 ·
If I started typing now, and didn't stop until Gabriel blew his horn, I could not fully express my hatred of this thing. A graceless lump. When I first saw the studio photos I thought it was someones shop/chop joke. Then I see that it is indeed real and Chrysler (with a STRAIGHT FACE!) is showing it to the world. This will take Chrysler years to live-down. Imagine allowing your companies' reputation for excellence in design to be ruined with just one mistake like this. If you haven't yet, go to www.autoextremist.com and read his take on this and lots of other NAIAS stuff.

#50 ·
As taken from Autoextremist.com:

But without question, the concept that set Chrysler Design back at least 25 years (and sent the design community as a whole into shock) was the relentlessly hideous Imperial Concept. Imagine if Wal*Mart decided to get in the car business overnight and the market they were absolutely convinced they could succeed in was the $300,000+ Rolls-Royce Phantom/Mercedes-Benz Maybach niche. Being Wal*Mart, of course, they would locate a junior college with a burgeoning wannabe automotive design program (a friend of a friend of a guy over in marketing who's their resident "car guy" said these guys were "good") and commence initial design work. After a month or so and a couple of reviews, they call it "perfect" and then contract an unknown, unnamed manufacturer in China to build the car, so that they can bring it in to the U.S. market for $49,995. And here it is... Chrysler Imperial Concept.
In what will surely go down in recent automotive design history as a gross miscalculation at best and an unmitigated disaster at worst, the Chrysler Imperial is one "blue sky" design notion that should never have gotten past the initial design "idea" meeting. Clumsily rendered and saddled with comical Toon Car proportions, the Imperial is simply the most embarrassing concept in my recent memory - and when it comes to design turkeys, I have a lengthy one. There is not one good angle, line, crease or fold on this "thing" - not one. How could this atrocity have been allowed to happen? After all, the men and women at Chrysler Design are plenty talented and capable, but Imperial is a complete travesty, a design disaster of incalculable proportions. I could go on, but I won't bother. Suffice to say, Chrysler's grand design legacy was virtually destroyed literally overnight by one monumentally bad judgment call - and it will be years before they'll live this down. Not a couple of car show seasons, folks, but years.

Damn I hate when people sugar-coat their opinons! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.