So the Cadillac CTS-V is definitely faster than the Dodge Charger SRT-8 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, So the Cadillac CTS-V is definitely faster than the Dodge Charger SRT-8 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The CTS-V is a Nurburgring car. It's developed for large difficult tracks, not drag racing. I know this is probably ...
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: So the Cadillac CTS-V is definitely faster than the Dodge Charger SRT-8

The CTS-V is a Nurburgring car. It's developed for large difficult tracks, not drag racing. I know this is probably hard for some of you red-blooded americans, but the car was not made to stoplight race.
    With it's power, sure it does a respectable job there, but it isn't what the car was built for. The suspension has been praised many times over for pulling the trick of making the heavy CTS feel like a sports car (it's a 5-series sized car that handles at the level of the much smaller 3-series; that speaks volumes about how well thought out the suspension is).
    The other route GM could have taken was to make it a straightline monster, but this would assuredly give up some of the amazing handling characteristics and we would have just another "american car" that can't navigate a corner properly.
    If you want a four door muscle car, go to the SRTs. If you want an american built car on the level of Germany's finest, buy a V.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    If you want a four door muscle car, go to the SRTs. If you want an american built car on the level of Germany's finest, buy a V.
    Well stated!

Jonas McFeely is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodSaint
    Well stated!
    For reals.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodSaint
    Well stated!
    Funny. I use to believe that crap too.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can do handle winter (shot at 300), and it can race without worrying about its differential exploding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my 7 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the 540i Sport on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 400HP qualifies me for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can do handle winter (shot at 300), and it can race without worrying about its differential exploding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my 7 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the 540i Sport on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 400HP qualifies me for.
    A WRX STi totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's Z06. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can handle winter. (shot at CTS-V), and it can race without worrying about it's differentials explogding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my S2000 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the WRX STi on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 425HP qualifies me for.

NOW SEE HOW FREAKING RIDICULOUS YOUR ARGUMENT IS JUST BY SUBSTITUTING WRX STi AND S2000? WHAT A MAROON.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    A WRX STi totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's Z06. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can handle winter. (shot at CTS-V), and it can race without worrying about it's differentials explogding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my S2000 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the WRX STi on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 425HP qualifies me for.

NOW SEE HOW FREAKING RIDICULOUS YOUR ARGUMENT IS JUST BY SUBSTITUTING WRX STi AND S2000? WHAT A MAROON.
    You truly are an idiot. The WRX STi has 300HP, not 425.

The WRX is also the size of an econobox.

A 5 is about the same size as your car, even though it doesn't look it. My 7 is a lot bigger than your car. An Ariel Atom will smoke any of the above mentioned cars.

If you ever saw a 300 SRT8 run on Autocross, you would not be arguing.

Not arguing just comparing. The 300C has the dimensions of a 7 class not the 5 class. The CTS-V is 5 sized not 3 sized. To compare the track abilities of a CTS-V, 5 series, 7 series and 300C SRT-8 is frankly stupid. It is akin to comparing a WRX STi, S2000 and the like. All completely different cars garnering completely different praise for completely different reasons.

My 300C SRT-8 will blow away all of the cars above in a straight line. It will comfortably seat 5 occupants and it's ride is compliant and quiet. All for the low price of $46,000. None of the cars mentioned above can make the claim of price, option and performance that the SRT can.

Now had I wanted a track car, I'd have bought a track car. And BTW, who the hell auto crosses a 300? Are you that stupid?

There is a full size class for your Chrysler. They put it with the Chevrolet Impalas and Caprices, BMW 7, MB S class, Audi A8/S8, Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder and Grand Marquis, and other similarly sized cars.

Heck, there's a minivan class. The only cars that don't fit into anything are the Seville and Deville. (Front wheel drive in that size car is uncommon.)

The WRX and S2000 are approximately in the same class either way. Their track times are really close.

The 300C SRT-8 is too large to toss around comfortably. Could you do it? Of course. The CTS-V is the more trackworthy of the bunch but frankly a large track and not an autocross set up in a mall parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Funny. I use to believe that crap too.
    What crap?
    The SRT is the better dragstrip car.
    The V is the better track car.

A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5.
    The V ran better lap times at the Nurburgring than both the M3 and M5.
    This was also done by a BMW 'ring driver the first time he was behind the wheel of a V.

I'm sorry, your 540i Sport, while a very trackable car, is not going touch a V on a real course.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I'm so sick and tired of people using the Nurburgring as the final word in a car's ability. Do you not understand that it's become a joke among the industry? Take that car that yields the top lap times on the Nurburgring and compare it to the same group on other tracks and the outcome will be different, so what does it actually prove? Nothing. It's a friggin' marketing tool, similar to using a vehicle's 0-60 time as a benchmark for it's overall performance. Silly, just plain silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    I'm so sick and tired of people using the Nurburgring as the final word in a car's ability. Do you not understand that it's become a joke among the industry? Take that car that yields the top lap times on the Nurburgring and compare it to the same group on other tracks and the outcome will be different, so what does it actually prove? Nothing. It's a friggin' marketing tool, similar to using a vehicle's 0-60 time as a benchmark for it's overall performance. Silly, just plain silly.
    No, using dragstrip times to determine a car's worth is silly.

The 'Ring is one of the most difficult and respected courses in the world because it tests every aspect of a car's ability. Comparing it to 0-60 times is inane.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    No, using dragstrip times to determine a car's worth is silly.
    That depends on what you want the car for. If your main interest in a car's performance is it's acceleration, then a drag strip is a perfect test IMO. Face it, until fairly recently, most "performance" cars other than pure "sports cars" offered little beyond straight line performance, and to this day, I believe MOST people still favor straight line punch as their most important factor in choosing a "performance" car.

MCaesar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Put the crack pipe down

A 300C SRT8 will smoke a 7 series

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.