DTS vs LS V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, DTS vs LS V8 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello guys, well i am still trying to make my decision. I currently own a 98 camaro SS that i ...
    SSTUD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 red STS

DTS vs LS V8

Hello guys, well i am still trying to make my decision. I currently own a 98 camaro SS that i absolutely love..and being a speed enthusiast i would like a car that handles well while still has pleanty of power to get up and go when i need it. I own my camaro and a jeep cherokee and i am getting tired of having 2 cars and going through the insurance BS. So i am looking for a well rounded luxury car with power, luxury, reliability and looks. My budget is around 16k. I need a car thats good in the snow yet fun to drive during the summer and gets a decent mpg.

I like the CTS but i can only afford an 03 with 225hp and i would like a M-5 but i am not too fond of the interior but i like the art and science theme that the car has with the front facia. Read that it gets 17 mpg city and around 24 hw

Caddy Deville DTS 00+ Nice big luxury car..i like the interior and i like the luxury amenities such as back up sensor etc. What drew me to it is that it has 300hp and fwd which should be better in the snow along with its traction controls etc. Plus i heard that the N* is a good motor but it uses oil and i have to watch the coolant pellets. I also heard the tranny is almost bullet proof. Plus it runs on 87 oct which is key for me if gas prices go too much higher and my long as$ commute is really going to hurt my wallet. I read that the deville gets 18 mpg city and 25-27 hw. I am leaning most towards this car right now.

Lincoln LS V8 Sport..i like the car it would be an pre 03 since those are the ones in my price range. Good handleing car with 250 hp and select shift 5spd auto with manual mode would be the best of both worlds. Manual if i want it and auto if i dont. However i dont know about the reliability of these cars. I heard that the 3.9 is a reliable motor but not about the trannys. Also i am not sure how these cars handle in the snow either. But they do look bad ass. Car also gets 17mpg city and 25 hw. It must run on 91 oct however.

I basically want a car thats fun to drive and i also look into the aftermarket for these vehicles the CTS has a strong aftermarket for parts and accessories along with the LSV8 but the DTS does not. Other then a $700 grill there isnt too much available for the deville. Also does anyone know the 1/4 mile times for these vehicles? I was unable to locate that. What do you guys think would be the best choice? Obviously its going to be my decision but i was just wounder what your input would be thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: DTS vs LS V8

How about a nice, sporty low mile ETC or Mark VIII?

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Lincoln LS - V8 3.9L (252 hp) 5A + ABS & TCS
    0 - 60 Time.............................................. .. 6.86
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Time ...............................15.19
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Speed .............................95.40
    (mph) Braking 60 - 0 mph (ft.) .......................137

Cadillac DeVille Touring Sedan (DTS) (300 hp) + ABS & Stabilitrak
    0 - 60 Time ...............................................6.8 2
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Time ................................15.15
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Speed ..............................95.80
    (mph) Braking 60-0 mph (ft.)- ........................143

SSTUD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 red STS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0101
    Lincoln LS - V8 3.9L (252 hp) 5A + ABS & TCS
    0 - 60 Time.............................................. .. 6.86
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Time ...............................15.19
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Speed .............................95.40
    (mph) Braking 60 - 0 mph (ft.) .......................137

Cadillac DeVille Touring Sedan (DTS) (300 hp) + ABS & Stabilitrak
    0 - 60 Time ...............................................6.8 2
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Time ................................15.15
    (seconds) 1/4 Mile Speed ..............................95.80
    (mph) Braking 60-0 mph (ft.)- ........................143
    Thanks for 1/4 mile times mark0101. Yeah i dont want a 2 dr luxury coupe i would like a car with 4 doors so a mark 8 or an etc are not what i had in mind. Also i am suprised to see that a DTS beat the LS in the 1/4 not by much but it did.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The two are VERY different cars. After driving both, I'm actually kind of surprised the LS is even with the DTS. I thought the LS "felt" slower. Besides that, the LS is still more of an "enthusiast's" car since it is RWD IMO, but that means it won't be as good in the snow as the DTS. The DTS is also WAY bigger inside. IMO, the only thing these two have in common is they're both 4-door sedans with V8 engines and automatic transmissions. Beyond that, the two are quite different.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by SSTUD
    Caddy Deville DTS 00+ Nice big luxury car..i like the interior and i like the luxury amenities such as back up sensor etc. What drew me to it is that it has 300hp and fwd which should be better in the snow along with its traction controls etc. Plus i heard that the N* is a good motor but it uses oil and i have to watch the coolant pellets. I also heard the tranny is almost bullet proof. Plus it runs on 87 oct which is key for me if gas prices go too much higher and my long as$ commute is really going to hurt my wallet. I read that the deville gets 18 mpg city and 25-27 hw. I am leaning most towards this car right now.
    I really like my DTS. It's really a great combination of power and luxury. It's smooth and quiet at any speed. The DTS has StabiliTrack which when combined with the traction control makes the car get around nicely in the snow and ice. There's tons of room for passengers and it's very comfortable to ride in. Trunk is a decent size, too. The oil consumption isn't a big deal - you just have to keep an eye on the level. Mine goes through a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I'm getting 16-17 MPG according to the trip computer. I do very little highway driving and my around town driving habits are, lets say, "aggressive". 87 octane is fine.

The aftermarket is limited. I put a Corsa exhaust on it which sounds REALLY mean and gives it an honest 20 HP at the wheels according to Corsa's dyno tests.

Jim

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Say Jim, is that corsa exhaust available for a ETC/ STS or just the DTS's?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Say Jim, is that corsa exhaust available for a ETC/ STS or just the DTS's?
    Yes. Actually Corsa kept sending me intermediate pipes for the STS which are slightly different than the DTS. The rest of the kit is the same. They made it right, though, and sent the right one on the 3rd try. They told me to just keep one of them - it's still in my garage.

Jim

Tombo47 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC

DTS is amazing. Its very nimble for tis size. You really dont feel as if you are driving a boat. My eldo ESC felt liek a boat and did not handle as well as the DTS. I really like the LS looks and all that but i ehar the tranny is problematic. the 4T80E is an amazing and smooth tranny. Definately the most durable FWD tranny GM ever turned out. Go with a DTS, and please...dotn compare these two vehicles. haha.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Nothing compares to Cadillac with any other make . By leading this point DTS must dump LS 8

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

The LS V8 before 2003 is a turd of a vehicle in my book. It lacked alot of the amenities and refinements that most of its competitors were already offering, along with a slightly anaemic HP rating for a V8 pre-2003. They are great handling cars and plenty of fun to toss around, but not good in snow and the interior materials quality is really lacking compared to the DTS. Also, the trannies tend to be somewhat problematic, though this was more in line with the 00 and 01's than the 02's.

Still, 03 got a MAJOR overhaul making it one of the best used cars bargains right now. So 03 and up, the LS V8 Premium Sport with THX Nav would be my choice, 02 and below, I would choose the DTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.