Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Guy at the Mark forum is selling his red '93 with 120k for two grand. No pics yet, but I ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII?

Guy at the Mark forum is selling his red '93 with 120k for two grand. No pics yet, but I just emailed him with questions about the suspension and AC. He's in Tulsa OK and willing to drive it here! If their air ride lasts six months, I'll be happy. I cant wait to throw Bulitt wheels on it!

I prefer the sumptuous grand touring goodness of the Seville and Eldo, but with grad school around the corner, I cant afford the maintenance yet. *sigh* I guess I'll put off getting the girl of my dreams and settle for a good lay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Re: Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII?

I would say to stay clear of a 1993 Mark VIII. They were the most problematic. I bought my 95 Mark VIII for $4000 and it only had 87k miles on it.

What were the big issues in the 93, other than the air ride, AC lines, and shift solenoids?

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I'm not gonna lie, I love Mark VIII's!

I looked at a 1993 with 120k miles on it about 6 months ago, I test drove it too, I really really liked that car. It was powerful, fast, the 4.6 DOHC makes a good sound too, it had a very nice interior, the dash was setup nicely, but I would be a little scepitcal buying a 1993 model, as it was the first year they had them. It takes them about a year or two to work out all the kinks and stuff.
    Good Luck!

Well on top of the stuff that you mentioned I believe there were also some electrical problems as well and I think that there was even a issue with the air suspension but I'm not 100% sure on that one

It sold. *sigh* Damn me for getting excited.

That sucks

Why not a newer Maxima? You seem to really like the Nissan/Infinitis

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Don't worry about it, that car wasn't that great. The transmission was slipping and it had problems starting just before he sold it. There are no known issues with the 93 that dosen't happen with any other year. The marks are quite cheap right now, so another one will come along.

Update: Its still available! The guy who said it sold was someone else, in another post.

I called and got him down to $1800, but that was until I found out:
    -Headliner drooping.
    -One dent from shopping cart.
    -Rebuilt title. It was a minor rear-ender and needed a new hood, grille, and headlights.
    -Air bags leak out a bit after a week.
    -Tranny acts funny when cold. It goes back and forth between 3/OD until it gets up to speed. You can manually shift 3 to OD at speed and the symptom goes away. Could need new tranny, could just need new Mercon fluid and a filter (known issue). He has not changed it during his three years of ownership.
    -JBL amp needs a few moments to warm up before it comes on.
    -Minor PS leak, requiring fluid top off every few months.

On the plus side:
    -He's willing to deliver half way to St Louis (400mi total to Tulsa).
    -Interior and body good. Clean carpet, clean leather, no paint damage.
    -AC works great. Climate control buttons are not cracked (known issue).
    -New tires.
    -New tstat, water pump, radiator.
    -New headlights.
    -All power accessories work.

I'm looking at $400-$550 for a used 98+ Mustang GT transmission -- installed, $400 for the coilover conversion kit and a few hours of my time to do that myself. I think if I can get $1200-$1400, I'll take it. I told him I'd decide in about ten days.

He's going to email me some pictures.

What do you guys think?

Additionally, I'm looking at this 4.9 Eldo as a potential fixer-upper, and I missed the $1250 Buy It Now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...QQcmdZViewItem

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Before I bought my Seville I found a 94 VIII with less than 80k miles at a great price. It was an all options car. Of course when I called on it the byer had just driven away with it.

That Eldorado is funny. A 4.9 Nothrstar?

Jesda, that sounds like an excellent deal if the Mustang tranny will work! Would you need to change the length of the driveshaft though?
    The only real annoying problem (to me anyways) is the sagging headliner, and theres no real fix for that unless you get it reglued. And the salvage title is nothing to really worry about, but its just one of those things that sits in the back of your head.

Go for it! At $1500, that sounds like a good deal!
    And 120k miles is pretty low for that car, my coworker has a 1993 with 175k on it and he still drives it daily, and either the air springs still work, or he got 'em converted. He offered it to me for $500, but I dont want to purchase a car that cost $35,000 new for $500. Personally, thats the kind of car I want to spend $5000-$7000 on

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Talk to Blackice or Darrin about the 98 Mustang tranny. They can tell you what you need to do to adapt it. I don't think it needs a new tranny, it needs the neutral safty switch replaced. Search MLPS, it's a common problem. BTW I am Portofino Blue over there.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

That's just what those cars need, a manual trans. The only weak spot in that car as far as performance is the start. They're real weak from a dead stop. The manual trans should REALLY wake that car up. You better get the biggest tires you can on it though because they spin the stock ones pretty easily even though the bottom-end is weak. Once you give it the ability to rev on the launch, you'll be ROASTING the tires at will.

Hmm, O/D switch and MLPS look like possible suspects, except for the problem being temperature-sensitive.

After driving a 92 Eldo yesterday, I fell in love. If only I could afford the surgery to extend my legs and reach the damn pedals. *sigh*
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=62371

I did the MLPS on my Mark VIII and it made a slight difference nothing major. What the issue for the 1st gen's is the trans fluid pan. It isn't deep enough and when you make a right turn all the fluid goes to the one side and it causes the tranny to hesitate. I have the updated tranny pan if your interested.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.