Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 57 replies 9 participants last post by  davesdeville 
#1 ·
Guy at the Mark forum is selling his red '93 with 120k for two grand. No pics yet, but I just emailed him with questions about the suspension and AC. He's in Tulsa OK and willing to drive it here! If their air ride lasts six months, I'll be happy. I cant wait to throw Bulitt wheels on it! :bouncy:

I prefer the sumptuous grand touring goodness of the Seville and Eldo, but with grad school around the corner, I cant afford the maintenance yet. *sigh* I guess I'll put off getting the girl of my dreams and settle for a good lay. ;)

#4 ·
I'm not gonna lie, I love Mark VIII's!

I looked at a 1993 with 120k miles on it about 6 months ago, I test drove it too, I really really liked that car. It was powerful, fast, the 4.6 DOHC makes a good sound too, it had a very nice interior, the dash was setup nicely, but I would be a little scepitcal buying a 1993 model, as it was the first year they had them. It takes them about a year or two to work out all the kinks and stuff.
Good Luck!

#7 ·
That sucks :(

Why not a newer Maxima? You seem to really like the Nissan/Infinitis

#8 ·
Don't worry about it, that car wasn't that great. The transmission was slipping and it had problems starting just before he sold it. There are no known issues with the 93 that dosen't happen with any other year. The marks are quite cheap right now, so another one will come along.

#9 · (Edited)
Update: Its still available! The guy who said it sold was someone else, in another post.

I called and got him down to $1800, but that was until I found out:
-Headliner drooping.
-One dent from shopping cart.
-Rebuilt title. It was a minor rear-ender and needed a new hood, grille, and headlights.
-Air bags leak out a bit after a week.
-Tranny acts funny when cold. It goes back and forth between 3/OD until it gets up to speed. You can manually shift 3 to OD at speed and the symptom goes away. Could need new tranny, could just need new Mercon fluid and a filter (known issue). He has not changed it during his three years of ownership.
-JBL amp needs a few moments to warm up before it comes on.
-Minor PS leak, requiring fluid top off every few months.

On the plus side:
-He's willing to deliver half way to St Louis (400mi total to Tulsa).
-Interior and body good. Clean carpet, clean leather, no paint damage.
-AC works great. Climate control buttons are not cracked (known issue).
-New tires.
-New tstat, water pump, radiator.
-New headlights.
-All power accessories work.

I'm looking at $400-$550 for a used 98+ Mustang GT transmission -- installed, $400 for the coilover conversion kit and a few hours of my time to do that myself. I think if I can get $1200-$1400, I'll take it. I told him I'd decide in about ten days.

He's going to email me some pictures.

What do you guys think?

Additionally, I'm looking at this 4.9 Eldo as a potential fixer-upper, and I missed the $1250 Buy It Now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...4602962615QQcategoryZ6147QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#11 ·
Jesda, that sounds like an excellent deal if the Mustang tranny will work! Would you need to change the length of the driveshaft though?
The only real annoying problem (to me anyways) is the sagging headliner, and theres no real fix for that unless you get it reglued. And the salvage title is nothing to really worry about, but its just one of those things that sits in the back of your head.

Go for it! At $1500, that sounds like a good deal!
And 120k miles is pretty low for that car, my coworker has a 1993 with 175k on it and he still drives it daily, and either the air springs still work, or he got 'em converted. He offered it to me for $500, but I dont want to purchase a car that cost $35,000 new for $500. Personally, thats the kind of car I want to spend $5000-$7000 on

#12 ·
Talk to Blackice or Darrin about the 98 Mustang tranny. They can tell you what you need to do to adapt it. I don't think it needs a new tranny, it needs the neutral safty switch replaced. Search MLPS, it's a common problem. BTW I am Portofino Blue over there.

#13 ·
That's just what those cars need, a manual trans. The only weak spot in that car as far as performance is the start. They're real weak from a dead stop. The manual trans should REALLY wake that car up. You better get the biggest tires you can on it though because they spin the stock ones pretty easily even though the bottom-end is weak. Once you give it the ability to rev on the launch, you'll be ROASTING the tires at will.

#14 ·
Hmm, O/D switch and MLPS look like possible suspects, except for the problem being temperature-sensitive. :(

After driving a 92 Eldo yesterday, I fell in love. If only I could afford the surgery to extend my legs and reach the damn pedals. *sigh*
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62371

#15 ·
I did the MLPS on my Mark VIII and it made a slight difference nothing major. What the issue for the 1st gen's is the trans fluid pan. It isn't deep enough and when you make a right turn all the fluid goes to the one side and it causes the tranny to hesitate. I have the updated tranny pan if your interested.

#16 ·
Jesda said:
After driving a 92 Eldo yesterday, I fell in love.
Just wait til you drive one with the N*! :D

#17 ·
Blackout said:
What the issue for the 1st gen's is the trans fluid pan. It isn't deep enough and when you make a right turn all the fluid goes to the one side and it causes the tranny to hesitate.
This is very true, mine had that problem. Mine needed the MLPS and it had severe gear hunting once it got warmed up. When it was cold, it ran fine. I think it has something to do with the electronics in the MLPS. I know of two people that have put a 5spd manual in a Mark. They said that it is pretty damn quick off the line. The Mark's powerband is in second and third, my N*'s powerband is 1st and 2nd. Nothing I have driven quite beats the sound of the 280 horses revving up under the hood of the Mark, they are really great cars. My biggest problem with it was the lack of headroom (Mine is really bad due to a sunroof). It caused me to have to put the seat in an uncomfortable position, so my head didn't bounce off the roof over bad bumps.

#18 ·
The 4.6 Intech V8 has a nice smooth burble to it, where as the Northstar has a mean sounding growl (but still nice) to it. Atleast thats how it sounded in the 1995 Eldorado I drove last week.

#20 ·
Correct me if I am wrong

The Mark VIII's have a lot of their power at highway speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear, and are lacking in "off the line" power
whereas
The N* Eldorados have more power than the Mark VIII's around town, and are about the same for highway acceleration.

#21 ·
IMO, the MKVIII has more power everywhere other than off the line and that's just due to the 4.6's powerband. With a high stall converter and taller gears, they launch great but if you REALLY want to see a DOHC 4.6 roar, give it a manual trans so it can rev off the line. The manual trans "should" cure the one obstacle the car has for great 1/4 mile times.

#22 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Correct me if I am wrong

The Mark VIII's have a lot of their power at highway speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear, and are lacking in "off the line" power
whereas
The N* Eldorados have more power than the Mark VIII's around town, and are about the same for highway acceleration.
The problem with the 4.6 is that all of its power is from about 3000 rpm and above and with having an auto that doesn't help it much at all. Atleast with a stick you can rev it up and get it in its powerband off the line. But the Mark VIII rules from a roll. I've beaten many a car from a roll with my Mark and surprised many a car as well. My friend has a 2002 Mustang GT Vert with a 5 speed manual, Bassani exhaust, and CAI and we raced from a roll and we were dead even until he hit 5th gear and I walked by him like he was in reverse. My buddies 2005 Dodge SRT-4 I have beaten everytime and he didn't want to race me anymore. A guy I raced that had a modded 2001 Honda S2000 could get by me either and then we got done racing and we chatted and now were good friends, but I never let him off the hook to losing to a old mans car:bouncy: My favorite thing was to get it up to 70 mph and throw the car into 2nd gear and keep the rev's up at 4000 and hit it and OHHHH WEEEE!!!!! Would she take off like a bat out of hell!! That damn speed limiter would come to damn fast!

#24 ·
Hey Jesda, I know its random but heres an Idea!

Infiniti I35!

Its halfway between the maxima you have (except its newer) and the Q45 you had.

Infiniti's jazzed up Maxima

#26 ·
This may be a little old of a thread but I'm still sticking my $.02 in, even though it looks like Jesda has a Continental (congratulations.) The Mark's 4.6 is similar to the northstar. I've driven both cars fairly extensively, raced my ETC against my friend's Mark, and driven the Mark against my ETC even. The Mark with stock gears is fairly weak on the low end, but then again so is the northstar. The northstar revs out 500rpm over the Ford 4.6 and does have better top end. Without 3.71s it would be a real slouch from a stop.

Gears aren't an option for N* cars, but they sure are for Mark VIIIs. Higher stall convertors are available for both cars... A manual swap is possible with both cars, though it seems it would be quite a bit easier with the Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.