Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Jesda After driving a 92 Eldo yesterday, I fell in love. Just wait til you drive one ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Who here owns a Lincoln Mark VIII?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    After driving a 92 Eldo yesterday, I fell in love.
    Just wait til you drive one with the N*!

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    What the issue for the 1st gen's is the trans fluid pan. It isn't deep enough and when you make a right turn all the fluid goes to the one side and it causes the tranny to hesitate.
    This is very true, mine had that problem. Mine needed the MLPS and it had severe gear hunting once it got warmed up. When it was cold, it ran fine. I think it has something to do with the electronics in the MLPS. I know of two people that have put a 5spd manual in a Mark. They said that it is pretty damn quick off the line. The Mark's powerband is in second and third, my N*'s powerband is 1st and 2nd. Nothing I have driven quite beats the sound of the 280 horses revving up under the hood of the Mark, they are really great cars. My biggest problem with it was the lack of headroom (Mine is really bad due to a sunroof). It caused me to have to put the seat in an uncomfortable position, so my head didn't bounce off the roof over bad bumps.

The 4.6 Intech V8 has a nice smooth burble to it, where as the Northstar has a mean sounding growl (but still nice) to it. Atleast thats how it sounded in the 1995 Eldorado I drove last week.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I'd love to drive a MKVIII with a manual trans. Must go like hell!

Correct me if I am wrong

The Mark VIII's have a lot of their power at highway speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear, and are lacking in "off the line" power
    whereas
    The N* Eldorados have more power than the Mark VIII's around town, and are about the same for highway acceleration.

IMO, the MKVIII has more power everywhere other than off the line and that's just due to the 4.6's powerband. With a high stall converter and taller gears, they launch great but if you REALLY want to see a DOHC 4.6 roar, give it a manual trans so it can rev off the line. The manual trans "should" cure the one obstacle the car has for great 1/4 mile times.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Correct me if I am wrong

The Mark VIII's have a lot of their power at highway speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear, and are lacking in "off the line" power
    whereas
    The N* Eldorados have more power than the Mark VIII's around town, and are about the same for highway acceleration.
    The problem with the 4.6 is that all of its power is from about 3000 rpm and above and with having an auto that doesn't help it much at all. Atleast with a stick you can rev it up and get it in its powerband off the line. But the Mark VIII rules from a roll. I've beaten many a car from a roll with my Mark and surprised many a car as well. My friend has a 2002 Mustang GT Vert with a 5 speed manual, Bassani exhaust, and CAI and we raced from a roll and we were dead even until he hit 5th gear and I walked by him like he was in reverse. My buddies 2005 Dodge SRT-4 I have beaten everytime and he didn't want to race me anymore. A guy I raced that had a modded 2001 Honda S2000 could get by me either and then we got done racing and we chatted and now were good friends, but I never let him off the hook to losing to a old mans car My favorite thing was to get it up to 70 mph and throw the car into 2nd gear and keep the rev's up at 4000 and hit it and OHHHH WEEEE!!!!! Would she take off like a bat out of hell!! That damn speed limiter would come to damn fast!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

After extensively driving a friend's 93 this year, I honestly can't say that the Mark is lacking power anywhere, at all. The gearing makes for excellent fuel economy, 27mpg at 70mph.

Hey Jesda, I know its random but heres an Idea!

Infiniti I35!

Its halfway between the maxima you have (except its newer) and the Q45 you had.

Infiniti's jazzed up Maxima

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I do love the body and interior and features of the I35, but that crappy wagon-like rear axle in a luxury car is a joke! I think out of the FWD entry-luxury cars from Japan, my favorite is the Mazda Millenia.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

This may be a little old of a thread but I'm still sticking my $.02 in, even though it looks like Jesda has a Continental (congratulations.) The Mark's 4.6 is similar to the northstar. I've driven both cars fairly extensively, raced my ETC against my friend's Mark, and driven the Mark against my ETC even. The Mark with stock gears is fairly weak on the low end, but then again so is the northstar. The northstar revs out 500rpm over the Ford 4.6 and does have better top end. Without 3.71s it would be a real slouch from a stop.

Gears aren't an option for N* cars, but they sure are for Mark VIIIs. Higher stall convertors are available for both cars... A manual swap is possible with both cars, though it seems it would be quite a bit easier with the Mark.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    This may be a little old of a thread but I'm still sticking my $.02 in, even though it looks like Jesda has a Continental (congratulations.) The Mark's 4.6 is similar to the northstar. I've driven both cars fairly extensively, raced my ETC against my friend's Mark, and driven the Mark against my ETC even. The Mark with stock gears is fairly weak on the low end, but then again so is the northstar. The northstar revs out 500rpm over the Ford 4.6 and does have better top end. Without 3.71s it would be a real slouch from a stop.

Gears aren't an option for N* cars, but they sure are for Mark VIIIs. Higher stall convertors are available for both cars... A manual swap is possible with both cars, though it seems it would be quite a bit easier with the Mark.
    I would have to disagree with you with the N* having a better top end. Ford brought a stock Mark VIII to the salt flats and took off the speed limiter and it said a new record for its class with having a top speed of 181.717 mph in stock trim.

I wouldnt say that the N* had a lack of low end power at all.

The 95 Eldorado with the 275hp N* had about 90% of the low end torque of my 4.9. Infact a N* will almost keep up with a 4.9 off the line.

The N* seems like its lacking on the low end because it's got such a good top end.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    I would have to disagree with you with the N* having a better top end. Ford brought a stock Mark VIII to the salt flats and took off the speed limiter and it said a new record for its class with having a top speed of 181.717 mph in stock trim.
    That's nice. If I put a Northstar in a streamliner, it would do well over 200. Doesn't prove anything about top end power. Fact is, the northstar revs out 500rpm higher than the Ford's 4.6, and it's peak HP is several hundred RPMs higher as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    That's nice. If I put a Northstar in a streamliner, it would do well over 200. Doesn't prove anything about top end power. Fact is, the northstar revs out 500rpm higher than the Ford's 4.6, and it's peak HP is several hundred RPMs higher as well.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about Dave. What do you mean it "revs out" 500rpm higher?
    The specs I have don't show anything like that. If you compare the MKVIII to it's Cadillac counterpart, the ETC, the max horsepower points are only 250rpm higher for the ETC and max Torque is attained at 100rpm LOWER than the MKVIII. To be honest, I'm not sure what all this has to do with this discussion since the Lincoln has much taller gears and has less peak power than the ETC. I think there's enough variables for you to not be able to draw the conclusions you seem to have.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.