Cadillac Owners Forum banner
16K views 113 replies 27 participants last post by  PAULSTSMAN1 
#1 ·
I saw the preview of the all new 2007 Imperial, today. It will be unveiled September, 2006. It will be Sandy's next new car, and I have a waiting buyer for my 2003 Town Car that has 7,700 miles on it now, and should have 11,000 in Sept. '07.
Rolls Royce Phaeton "A" - "B" & "C" pillars, very similar taillamps and a very similiar headlight/grille and front fender configuration, with Suicide doors and a R.R. roofline. Will be black. Interior, depends what is available....
1st choice = White leather
2nd choice = Black Leather
3rd choice = Red Leather

I am afraid it will be very very expensive, as it LOOKS that way....
A masterful job of copy-ism ! :thumbsup:

#77 ·
I couldn't agree more with your 4th point re margins on new cars.
I've grown up around the car retailing biz, and anyone in the industry with any business sense prefers selling used cars.
You want a black 99 LS400 Lexus with under 60k? I may have the only one in Toronto, and I'm sticking to my margin of $3k gross.
You want to buy a 4door Chev Aveo with the power pkg? In red? You'll find one at every GM dealer in Toronto, selling for close to invoice.

I liken the purchase of a good, previously enjoyed car to a fine bottle of red wine. Any idiot can drop $30 bucks on a good bottle of wine. The challenge is in finding a good merlot for under $10 bucks. Same with a car. I've had 45 cars in 28 years, about half of them used. The challenge for me is in finding a good, used Cadillac for about 10k Cdn ... I've done it on three occasions, and I've bombed out on the 4th ... a 1989 Fleetwood that looked showroom fresh, but was rotting out from the inside. For me, its a fun hobby, and like all hobbies, it costs money and you get better at it with practice.
You're in a position to spend the money, enjoy the vehicle in new condition, and keep it properly serviced. Before kids and college, I used to do the same ... I couldn't imagine letting some goon beat on my car prior to my ownership. Thankfully, being a Cadillac afficienado, most of these cars are treated with respect from an older demographic ... if you can buy them used before the 2nd or 3rd owner abuses the power and neglects the maintenance.
Good luck with the Imperial ... the 300C goes for about $40-45Cdn retail, so I guess the Imp will be north of $50. I'd love to see Car & Driver do another "King of the Hill" test with Caddilac, Imperial, and then I'm stumped ... the Town Car no longer plays in this field.

#78 ·
Katshot said:
Oh, and by the time I got into the high-performance bugs in the mid to late 70's, turbos were very common on them.
Until about 1975 or 1976, after Porsche introduced it's Turbo Carrera and BMW it's 2002Tii, there were virtually no turbo kits available in the aftermarket.

Yea, I know GM had a turbo model in '64. But how long did that last???

So in the year 1970, to find a turbocharged Speedster or any other car would have been a very rare find indeed.

Supercharging was much more likely, and you being HEAVILY into VW's also should know that there was a supercharger available for the VW Bug way back in the mid-'50's. It wouldn't take much modification to fit that to a 356, if Judson didn't offer a 356 kit.

#79 ·
Ted, I agree, see & understand your points, (well except the Town Car bit). My daily driver is a 2003 Town Car Signature Spring Feature model, "THE LIMITED" ~ I have found it to be a most comfortable and problem-free car, with all the luxury touches & bells & whistles. Yes, at 239 H.P. it does not delver sudden bursts of power. I've had 3 Lincolns: 1986 Mark 7 1998 Mark 8 and the '03 Towniee. Also 2 Caddies; 1988 SDV and my current "Show car" a 1993 Sixty Special (a one off ~ made especially for me at Orion) with 9,821 miles on it, mulitple trophy winner. Don't even ask about Imperials. Parents had 22 consecutive, and I had a 1975 & a 1982 Bustleback Cpe. in GOLD, 1 of 57. Know what ya mean 'bout college, as our son is a senior, presently. $35.000 @ yr. (USA) ~ but he got a scholorship, he's a 3.75 GPA.:thumbsup:

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

#80 ·
Sandy, I always liked those 81-83 Imperials, What was it like to drive and own? Did you like it a lot?

#82 · (Edited)
It was a joy to drive & own. I can think of no faults it had. It was quick, silent and drew ALOT of looks & thumbs up. HOWEVER, they all (1981-1983) had driveabilty problems with the early EFI designed for Chrysler by TRW. I sold it after only 14 months, as I diod not want the EFI to go bad in my ownership and hav eot be conveted to Cordoba carburation. I paid $ 16,100 (after a $3,000 rebate) and sold her for $ 14,000 on her 14th month.
Shje was Goldenrod ~ (bright gold metallic) with Camel Tan leather. That was 1 of 2 new colors for 1982, which is why I chose it.

Not my actual car - but one like it !

#84 ·
Sandy said:
It was a joy to drive & own. I can think of no faults it had. It was quick, silent and drew ALOT of looks & thumbs up. HOWEVER, they all (1981-1983) had driveabilty problems with the early EFI designed for Chrysler by TRW. I sold it after only 14 months, as I diod not want the EFI to go bad in my ownership and hav eot be conveted to Cordoba carburation. I paid $ 16,100 (after a $3,000 rebate) and sold her for $ 14,000 on her 14th month.
Shje was Goldenrod ~ (bright gold metallic) with Camel Tan leather. That was 1 of 2 new colors for 1982, which is why I chose it.

Not my actual car - but one like it !
They were gorgeous cars I agree, with very nice interiors and I think that "Frank Sinatra" edition is really neat too, but a lot did end up getting converted back to carbs. I wonder why they never sold well compared to the Eldorados or Mark Vi's.

#85 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
I wonder why they never sold well compared to the Eldorados or Mark Vi's.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the styling, lol. To each his own, but that thing is hideous! That's an Impy? I saw one of those at the junk yard last summer, thing was pretty much debadged and cleaned out, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was!

#86 ·
I really like the wheels they had standard on 'em.

#87 ·
Sandy, my comments on the king of the hill tests, ie Town Cars, is based upon horsepower and market demographics. It really doesn't compete as a pure driver's car in the 300hp plus market with the STS V or hopped up Chrysler SRT motors. I'm guessing the new Imp will offer more than the ponies under the hood than the basic hemi motor.
Having said that, I've driven to Florida from Ontario in two different TC's, and they are superb highway cruisers ... plenty of power, supreme road isolation, decent sound systems. I've also driven down in my father's 90 fwd Fleetwood, and the TC was more comfortable in pleasant weather ... snow in the hills, and I'll take the caddy.
As a previous fwd Fleetwood owner, I'm seriously jealous of your 60 Special. An absolutely gorgeous machine ... every one that comes for sale up here have had multiple owners and are beat to hell.

We've had one Imp in our family ... a metallic brown, '77 NYK Brougham with road wheels and leather ... basically a 74-77 Imperial ... nice car with a 440 lean burn.
I too had an LSC ... 1988, drove her to Fla. and back ... nicest sport cruiser for the day.
For me, I'd love to pick up a 98 Mk VIII in Toreador red, hid headlamps, puddle lamps, improved tranny ... really an undervalued car. I just have to find the right one, hopefully with the air blend door replaced.

Here's a pic of one car I'll never get rid of ... my '71 Cutlass Supreme. Too many sentimental moments in her ... my favourite car.

#91 ·
He He He, so...you know about the ole blend door, do ya? :D
I actually kept my 98 MK8 FIVE years. During that tme, I averaged a
serious problem every 6 weeks. I kept it that long as I was keeping
a log of the world's worse luxury car. Everything that could, went
wrong. It had every option, and was an end-of-the -run "Collector's~Edition" ~~ one of 1265 (I think) it was # 903. Pearl White with tan interior. ONLY reason I bought another Lincoln was the terrific care my dealer took of me, with free loaners of Town Cars, and alot of other perks.
Now, I've had the TC for 2 years & 9 months, and have yet to have "Problem #1" ~ So, I am happy with it. I think that the T.C. competes with the DeVillle and (2006) DTS at Cadillac, for the same buyer.

Nice Cutlass, put some red-line tires on her.

#92 ·
Actually, since I snapped the Cutlass pics, I've put on some nice whitewalls.
It made a huge difference in the car's appearance ... I even had it featured in a major Toronto daily paper. There's something to be said for exiting a turn with rwd, top down, and gunning that rocket 350.
Its the only car I've owned that goes up in value ... I have to get her appraised every 5 years for collector's insurance.

#94 ·
Sandy said:
I actually kept my 98 MK8 FIVE years. During that tme, I averaged a serious problem every 6 weeks. I kept it that long as I was keeping a log of the world's worse luxury car. Everything that could, went
wrong. It had every option, and was an end-of-the -run "Collector's~Edition" ~~ one of 1265 (I think) it was # 903. Pearl White with tan interior. .
How bad was it, what were the major problems? I really love the Mark VIII's and I would love to get one, but I dont wanna buy a car with a lot of problems.

#95 ·
1. The HID headlights blow out, because of an ill-installed exterior headlight cover, allowing moisture in along with dampness, that finds its way to the socket:bonkers: . Thusly, they blow. Not bad under OEM warrantee, as I was, but $250.00 apice, afterwards.

2. The driver's side bucket seat is known to suddenly, without warning, nor provocation, RRRRrrrrip right thru the floor pan, providing the driver with "instant recliner" option. It order to repair, the car goes on lift, and needs steel plates welded BOTH to the underside of the chassis AND under the carpet, on the inside, because the bolt causes the floor pan to "mushroom".

3. The LED crystal in the wall to wall taillamps goes limpy (light-to dark-to normal-to light- to dark) sections. EXPENSIVE !

4. AM Radio has incurable terribble horrible constant static. Useless.

5. Actually eats up brake rotors every 3,000 miles. I had 18,000 miles when I sold it @ 5 years of age and was on set # 6 of front brake rotors.

6. Steering Wheel ShAkE ! Going down looong hills, and using the required braking, - about 1/2 down steering wheel begin JuMpInG all over the place, with Parkinson's decease.

7. Rear Window. The rear window has an exterior moulding (black) that goes 360 degrees, all around the perimeter of the glass. After 3-4 years in the sunshine, the cold and the climaticx changes, said moulding get lumpy wavey l
un un nu and it cannot be replaced use the electric rear window defroster glass window is also replaced $ 1,200.00 for a nice new moulding.

8. Then, there's the old blend door on the Air Conditioning. Of the 5 summers I had the car, 4 of them it suddenly began blowing heat on me in July / August. Under warrantee the first 3 years, it cost me $ 1,000 to "fix" the 4th year.

9. Fuel Release button on driver's side lower door panel (you push it & the fuel door releases) but.... push just slightly TOO hard and the little button falls down doen down into the lower door panel. Removing door panel is then necessary to re-fuel.

10. Ash Tray. I don't smoke in any car, ever, but I did fill it with hard candy for "dry mouth" syndrome. You push a spot on the top cover door and she 1st dips downward, and then opens up. EXCEPT for when she slightly dips downward and the thin plastic mechanism breaks, the the ash tray cover falls down INTO the compartment. The Fix? An entire new center console ($1,475.00), as it's NON-fixable, but you will get a new one WITH the new console.

Other than that, they are fine :alchi:

#96 ·
Goddamn Fords!

#98 ·
Well im not gonna think of all Mark VIII's as a "stinking pile of dogshit" but I will take your advice into consideration...I'm positive there are many Mark VIII owners out there that are ecstatic with their cars, and have never had a bad experience with them, but I think you are just unlucky with yours. Like my deVille leaks coolant through the block, now I know that this was caused due to neglect of the previous owners, and I dont think all 4.9's will leak coolant, its just something to keep in mind :)

#100 ·
Sandy said:

NOTE THE SIDE SCULPTURE LINE ON THE REAR QUARTER PANEL, THE DIP ON THE REAR DOOR,
AND HOW IT MEETS THE HORIZONTAL LOWER SCULPTURE. IT'S QUITE PRONOUNCED ON THE DOOR.

Hmm. I would rank it above Art & Science Cadillac but for a new car today I'd still buy either the Lincoln Town Car L (if that's still made since it's the only properly long car out there) or the Jag XJ8 for classic appearance.

I do think it looks awfully short and psuedo-Rolls.

I ditto whoever said above that they wished GM had Chrysler's balls though.

#101 ·
My son had a MKVIII and the car was actually very reliable. Sandy, your list DID ring a few bells but, after knowing several Lincoln/Cadillac owners, I can tell you that the grass IS NOT greener on either side. For every sad story from a MKVIII owner, there's one from a Seville/Eldo owner. IMO, overall, those cars are close to even as far as headaches and heartburn inducing problems but at least the MKVIII has that wonderful engine! Styling is subjective of course but for my money, I like the looks of the MKVIII better than a Seville/Eldo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.