New 2007 Imperial - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, New 2007 Imperial in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Lots of things there to address, Ted. 1). I spent 27 years in the retail car business. I am also ...
    Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Re: New 2007 Imperial

Lots of things there to address, Ted.

1). I spent 27 years in the retail car business. I am also a car-a-holic, since age 5. Now age 59. With that background, we don't buy used cars, unless they are collectible, restored or original to perfection. Regarding the depreciation, it does not matter to me. I do not fly, therefore other than staying home & relaxing, I have never taken a "traditional" vacation. Being in New Jersey, one might think one would be a frequent Atlantic City Gambler. I am not. I don't like to lose money. But, I enjoy new cars, and with them come the price of entry as well as the depreciation. I am okay with that.

2). People who recall the heritage of the 1957-1975 Imperial (and 1976-1978 NewYorker Badged Imperial), and bring that to the table, will of course not be jumpin' up &down over this new one ~ but, then again, who today makes ANY car that has anything in common with any 1957-1978 car? They have to size it & style it to fit into today's "accepted" style of car, (which, of course will be laughed at uncontrollably in 10 years) !!

3. The new Imperial will be in the "lower fifties" ~ meaning around $53,000.
    I also like the new Cadillac DTS, but spec'd out with options it windows at $60,000. I feel it's overpriced. Remember, the only parts NEW on it are the front fenders, grille and hood, the rear quarters, deck lid & tailamps. It's NOT a total redesign, yet they'd kicked the price up a good $6,000.

4.) In truth, the manufactutrers are ripping off everyone, to pay their pensions and UAW contracts. For the cost of the new cars, the selling dealers are making very little money and the sales forces are nearly starving to death. Can you imagine selling a $40,000 item (any item....think outside of cars....any item..... and making a commission of $45.00 Gross?)
    50% of the $$$ the consumer pays gos towards the production, engineering, and manufacturing expences and 45% goes to pension funds, health care, etc, etc, and 1% to transportation, 2% to selling dealer, 1% to advertising, .2 % to sales , .5% to make ready servicing and .3% to financing fees.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

I couldn't agree more with your 4th point re margins on new cars.
    I've grown up around the car retailing biz, and anyone in the industry with any business sense prefers selling used cars.
    You want a black 99 LS400 Lexus with under 60k? I may have the only one in Toronto, and I'm sticking to my margin of $3k gross.
    You want to buy a 4door Chev Aveo with the power pkg? In red? You'll find one at every GM dealer in Toronto, selling for close to invoice.

I liken the purchase of a good, previously enjoyed car to a fine bottle of red wine. Any idiot can drop $30 bucks on a good bottle of wine. The challenge is in finding a good merlot for under $10 bucks. Same with a car. I've had 45 cars in 28 years, about half of them used. The challenge for me is in finding a good, used Cadillac for about 10k Cdn ... I've done it on three occasions, and I've bombed out on the 4th ... a 1989 Fleetwood that looked showroom fresh, but was rotting out from the inside. For me, its a fun hobby, and like all hobbies, it costs money and you get better at it with practice.
    You're in a position to spend the money, enjoy the vehicle in new condition, and keep it properly serviced. Before kids and college, I used to do the same ... I couldn't imagine letting some goon beat on my car prior to my ownership. Thankfully, being a Cadillac afficienado, most of these cars are treated with respect from an older demographic ... if you can buy them used before the 2nd or 3rd owner abuses the power and neglects the maintenance.
    Good luck with the Imperial ... the 300C goes for about $40-45Cdn retail, so I guess the Imp will be north of $50. I'd love to see Car & Driver do another "King of the Hill" test with Caddilac, Imperial, and then I'm stumped ... the Town Car no longer plays in this field.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Oh, and by the time I got into the high-performance bugs in the mid to late 70's, turbos were very common on them.
    Until about 1975 or 1976, after Porsche introduced it's Turbo Carrera and BMW it's 2002Tii, there were virtually no turbo kits available in the aftermarket.

Yea, I know GM had a turbo model in '64. But how long did that last???

So in the year 1970, to find a turbocharged Speedster or any other car would have been a very rare find indeed.

Supercharging was much more likely, and you being HEAVILY into VW's also should know that there was a supercharger available for the VW Bug way back in the mid-'50's. It wouldn't take much modification to fit that to a 356, if Judson didn't offer a 356 kit.

Ted, I agree, see & understand your points, (well except the Town Car bit). My daily driver is a 2003 Town Car Signature Spring Feature model, "THE LIMITED" ~ I have found it to be a most comfortable and problem-free car, with all the luxury touches & bells & whistles. Yes, at 239 H.P. it does not delver sudden bursts of power. I've had 3 Lincolns: 1986 Mark 7 1998 Mark 8 and the '03 Towniee. Also 2 Caddies; 1988 SDV and my current "Show car" a 1993 Sixty Special (a one off ~ made especially for me at Orion) with 9,821 miles on it, mulitple trophy winner. Don't even ask about Imperials. Parents had 22 consecutive, and I had a 1975 & a 1982 Bustleback Cpe. in GOLD, 1 of 57. Know what ya mean 'bout college, as our son is a senior, presently. $35.000 @ yr. (USA) ~ but he got a scholorship, he's a 3.75 GPA.

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Sandy, I always liked those 81-83 Imperials, What was it like to drive and own? Did you like it a lot?

lacmang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood

I will say this I wish GM had Chrysler's BALLS!

It was a joy to drive & own. I can think of no faults it had. It was quick, silent and drew ALOT of looks & thumbs up. HOWEVER, they all (1981-1983) had driveabilty problems with the early EFI designed for Chrysler by TRW. I sold it after only 14 months, as I diod not want the EFI to go bad in my ownership and hav eot be conveted to Cordoba carburation. I paid $ 16,100 (after a $3,000 rebate) and sold her for $ 14,000 on her 14th month.
    Shje was Goldenrod ~ (bright gold metallic) with Camel Tan leather. That was 1 of 2 new colors for 1982, which is why I chose it.

Not my actual car - but one like it !

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lacmang
    I will say this I wish GM had Chrysler's BALLS!
    I couldn't say it any simpler!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    It was a joy to drive & own. I can think of no faults it had. It was quick, silent and drew ALOT of looks & thumbs up. HOWEVER, they all (1981-1983) had driveabilty problems with the early EFI designed for Chrysler by TRW. I sold it after only 14 months, as I diod not want the EFI to go bad in my ownership and hav eot be conveted to Cordoba carburation. I paid $ 16,100 (after a $3,000 rebate) and sold her for $ 14,000 on her 14th month.
    Shje was Goldenrod ~ (bright gold metallic) with Camel Tan leather. That was 1 of 2 new colors for 1982, which is why I chose it.

Not my actual car - but one like it !
    They were gorgeous cars I agree, with very nice interiors and I think that "Frank Sinatra" edition is really neat too, but a lot did end up getting converted back to carbs. I wonder why they never sold well compared to the Eldorados or Mark Vi's.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    I wonder why they never sold well compared to the Eldorados or Mark Vi's.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the styling, lol. To each his own, but that thing is hideous! That's an Impy? I saw one of those at the junk yard last summer, thing was pretty much debadged and cleaned out, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was!

I really like the wheels they had standard on 'em.

Sandy, my comments on the king of the hill tests, ie Town Cars, is based upon horsepower and market demographics. It really doesn't compete as a pure driver's car in the 300hp plus market with the STS V or hopped up Chrysler SRT motors. I'm guessing the new Imp will offer more than the ponies under the hood than the basic hemi motor.
    Having said that, I've driven to Florida from Ontario in two different TC's, and they are superb highway cruisers ... plenty of power, supreme road isolation, decent sound systems. I've also driven down in my father's 90 fwd Fleetwood, and the TC was more comfortable in pleasant weather ... snow in the hills, and I'll take the caddy.
    As a previous fwd Fleetwood owner, I'm seriously jealous of your 60 Special. An absolutely gorgeous machine ... every one that comes for sale up here have had multiple owners and are beat to hell.

We've had one Imp in our family ... a metallic brown, '77 NYK Brougham with road wheels and leather ... basically a 74-77 Imperial ... nice car with a 440 lean burn.
    I too had an LSC ... 1988, drove her to Fla. and back ... nicest sport cruiser for the day.
    For me, I'd love to pick up a 98 Mk VIII in Toreador red, hid headlamps, puddle lamps, improved tranny ... really an undervalued car. I just have to find the right one, hopefully with the air blend door replaced.

Here's a pic of one car I'll never get rid of ... my '71 Cutlass Supreme. Too many sentimental moments in her ... my favourite car.

Try again with those Cutlass pics.

One more.

Obiously, not my bag.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.