thinking of buying a bmw... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, thinking of buying a bmw... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; If you want a real BMW, find yourself a red 1985 Euro m6 5 spd!!!...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Re: thinking of buying a bmw...

If you want a real BMW, find yourself a red 1985 Euro m6 5 spd!!!

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

The 635 is impressive.

But back to before... Take a 540i Sport for a drive. Or any e39 5 series. They are very impressive. A 528i or 530i will make a total joke out of a stock CTS around a track OR road course.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

The BMW's are good cars but their owners. Geesuz they're usually just such pretentious asses.

Look at you, you drive a CHRYSLER!

Did you know that your car uses IRON as the cylinder wall? It will actually have to be MACHINED if the engine's rebuilt, because friction causes erosion leading to a ridge forming at the top of the cylinder. My BMWs use Alusil, which is a silicon composite with the thermal and friction characteristics of GLASS! You can take apart my engine at 200000 miles and there will be no measurable wear in the cylinder wall, or to the rings. Want to hazard a guess of which engine will still be running in 200000 miles? My 5.4 or your 6.1? Hmmm.... Shouldn't be too hard.

If a 300 could compete with a BMW in any area outside of price, I think I'd submit my little cousin's finger paintings to go to the Louvre.

Seriously, I didn't appreciate BMW at first, I thought they were overpriced and the owners were snobbish bozos who didn't know jack sh!t. Once I got my first 740, I figured I would never own anything else. Now, another 740iL, and a 540i Sport later, and with my current 750iL, I know for sure. I'd rather have a 1979 635CSi than your SRT8. The only car from this counrty that competes with BMW even remotely closely is Cadillac, and I don't mean the CTS. Its interior quality sucks almost as bad as your car. If you don't think the 300's interior sucks, sit in the back seat of one for 5 minutes. Note that there's actually a difference in quality between the front and rear. That's crap. Total crap.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

BMW are nice cars, just not $20,000 more nice. As for longevity, I seem to recall some M3's motors grenading as well so BMW is by no means infalable. As you can see below the American public agrees with me.

BMW, which last year introduced a new Three Series sedan, its "bread-and-butter" product, saw that model garner a 27 percent increase in sales, pushing its market share in the entry-level luxury-car segment to almost 15 percent, second only to the still-hugely-popular Chrysler 300.

Yeah, but that's what you get for trying to make an everyday motor that turns 9000 RPM. If people actually use it, sometimes it blows up. S2000 has the same problem. I've never seen a mechanical failure on one like my V12 though, or on a 4.4 V8 (except on the V8 where the idiot drove for a month with a low oil level message, then decided to drive the car 15 miles home after the "Low Oil Pressure Stop Now!" message appeared, and then posted asking if there was a way to revive his engine on Bimmerboards.)

Now I don't really like the M3's engine, but the problem HAS been fixed. It had to do with the way the crank was supported leading to crank walk and contact with the rod caps to other parts of the engine if I remember correctly. I don't like having to rev it that high to get power.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.