Hopefully gonna buy a '96 Town Car! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Hopefully gonna buy a '96 Town Car! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; By the Town Car and be happy with it. Although it would be even nicer if it was a Signature ...
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Hopefully gonna buy a '96 Town Car!

By the Town Car and be happy with it. Although it would be even nicer if it was a Signature or a Cartier and it wasn't silver I wouldn't worry about the smoking problem. There are a lot more of them that don't have any problems then ones that do. The only cars I've ever seen do that are worn out looking Crown Victoria taxis.

The newer 3.8L engines are junk. They have problems with the intake melting and dumping antifreeze into the engine. I'd take my chances with a Town Car any day over that It sounds like I~LUV~Caddys8792 would more rather have a Town Car anyway.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    By the Town Car and be happy with it. Although it would be even nicer if it was a Signature or a Cartier and it wasn't silver I wouldn't worry about the smoking problem. There are a lot more of them that don't have any problems then ones that do. The only cars I've ever seen do that are worn out looking Crown Victoria taxis.

The newer 3.8L engines are junk. They have problems with the intake melting and dumping antifreeze into the engine. I'd take my chances with a Town Car any day over that It sounds like I~LUV~Caddys8792 would more rather have a Town Car anyway.
    how......could......you......

the 3800 Series II *ONLY* issue is the plastic intake manifold... most don't have the "problem" some do.... HARDLY enough to call it.... junk.

my 3800 Series I is a beast... powerful, and I get 22mpg town and 32mpg highway.... driving with a heavy foot... great car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Most important things for me in next car that are different than my deville:
    -Simple, time tested engine
    -reliability (200k miles is no problem)
    -proven chassis design
    - RWD (for the most part, it's easier to work on, no McPherson struts)

Things I would like to get:
    - Leather
    - V8
    - I wanna try something thats not a GM product
    - SOHC motor
    - air springs might be neat
    - digital dash

Nightwolf, that Intrigue is nice, but it's not really what I'm looking for, I would like to stick to a simple motor design (3.5 N* is too complicated) I also would like another luxury sedan, so it's not a downgrade from the deVille. I would like an old, time tested motor and chassis, and I would like to limit the technology as much as possible. The thing about the Buick is that it's a Buick which never really competed with the deVille or Town Car. For as nice as that car is, its kind of a downgrade from a deVille, I had a Buick already, and I wasn't too impressed with that, it felt like a real cheap vehicle by the way everything inside was plastic, and it had a real poor build quality. I really like Caddys and Lincolns the most. I would consider a '90-92 Brougham also, but there too expensive for me, all the broughams around here for less than $4000 are 1986-89 models, and thats too old for me.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

congrats man, that is a nice looking Town Car. one thing to watch out for is the air ride suspension. i thought the Continentals were the only bad ones with that but two of my friends have them and they are blown. plus i have seen like twenty of them with blown bags. other than that they are pretty rock solid good luck and congrats. also yes appeal to Sal and he will change it for you or you can change it. have you got it yet?

soccer_eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville, 99 deville - both Adriatic Blue

I drive a 96 towncar and an eldorado and even though I hate to admit it, even though the cadillac is a lot nicer looking car in my opinion, the towncar seems a lot more reliable in the six years I have owned them(as far as 10 year old cars go anyway). I changed the airsprings out for regular springs, put a few weights in the trunk, and now the car rides smoother, although, if I had to do it again, I would have just replaced the airbags, there's not really much difference in price, and if you have even the slightest mechanical ability, its simple. The towncar is an excellent car, mine has 155,000 miles on it right now, and it drives and rides just as smooth as it did when I bought it in 99 with 30,000 miles on it (I'm in lawschool, so as long as it lasts till I'm out of school I'm happy with it). That guy is right about rotors, I've gone through two sets of them, but no big deal, considering hardly anything else has gone wrong with it. The caddy is faster, and flashier, but the lincoln is a great car you will not regret buying. Oh, and another thing that goes wrong with nearly everybody I know that has a 95-97 towncar, the intake manifold cracks after a while because it is plastic/resin, (the original one anyway), but that's pretty easy to replace, just a pain in the ass to get everything off the top of it, and you need to replace the gasket usually. Ball joints and tie rod ends usually crop up being bad, but other than that, I haven't seen a lot go wrong with towncars.

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Instead of the Intrigue, look at the Aurora. They are a steal.

I'm not gonna buy it

The trade in value of my car is $1500, and he wants $3,000 for it, and I don't have $1500 to put into it

It needs a water pump and 4 new shock absorbers.

My car isn't worth anything so theres no point to me selling it.

It really pisses me off how these big american luxury sedans are worthless and those little rusty, ugly, bland asian compacts are worth so much

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

how much was he gonna give you on trade in value? really, you cant expect much from an older Deville. i was offered 10k for my 93 Fleetwood Brougham on trade in. this is gonna sound like bs but it isnt, i had a dealership offer me a 96 Lincoln Continental and a 90 Fleetwood for my 93. both in ok shape, not great, over 160k on the Fleetwood and 135k on the Continental but i already had a Continental at the time and i didnt want it, i was just looking at a car for my brother and i struck up a conversation with him and it got all into that.

Quote Originally Posted by DBA-One
    Instead of the Intrigue, look at the Aurora. They are a steal.
    2nd gens are NICE! damn, I like them alot... maybe moreso then the Seville STS....

they aren't THAT cheap tho....

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

It sounds like you've got a craving for RWD. Although I am a fan of Lincolns alike, by comparason the 96 Town Car falls very short in comparason to a Fleetwood of the same year. Before you jump into this TC at least test drive a Fleetwood. TC's are nice but almost everything you described that you like about it the Fleetwood includes and then some. I feel that the Town Car although very plush and classy lacks the design ques that the Fleetwood posesses. I mean, fender skirts dude.... Town Cars look pretty blah to me, not much to look at, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Plus why take a 4.6 when you could get a 5.7? I know you wanna cruise in style, but why not tear some ass in the process?

the '90-'97? generation Town Car has never appealed to me... they look old... they looked old even when new. The front end was ugly and the interior was bland.... the very last year or 2 of the production run I kinda like as the front end became nice, and it got a really nice interior.

the Fleetwood is a much better car... but more money too.

I prefer the '96 Town Cars to the '96 Fleetwood Broughams.

I think the 93-96 Fleetwood Broughams look too big, and they look kind of like the Buick Roadmasters, they're more rounded off then a Town Car is.
    I think cars of this nature should be square, because it looks more dignified and formal. One advantage that the FWB has is that it is much quicker due to the excellent 350LT1. This motor gives it 50 more horsepower and 55 more ft/lbs of torque, than the 4.6, and makes it able to tow 5000 more pounds with the V4P package. But you gotta ask yourself, in a 4500 lb landyacht, do you need it to go 0-60 in 7.2 seconds or whatever? I don't think it's really necessary. The Town Cars' SOHC 4.6 makes good power for what it is.

The Town Cars are known to get much better mileage than the FWB's. For example, my Roadmaster got about 13.7 MPG, a '96 Town Car would probably get me around 17. I believe this is achieved partially because Ford's trannys always want to shift up at a lower speed, therefore reducing RPM and engine load. While this increases fuel economy, it makes it take a longer time to downshift and accelerate.

I personally think the Town Car has a better design for many reasons.

1- I think it looks more modern because it doesn't appear overly large like the Fleetwoods do, unlike DS156, I do not like skirts on the FWB's. I think they make the car appear quite bulbous and whaleish. I think the 90-92 Broughams look much better than the 93-96 models. They have that handsome, clean cut, rigid, formal appearance that looks
    very timeless and elegant to me. I would like to get one of those too, but they're out of my price range.

2- I really like the Town Car's grille. That "waterfall" grille that Lincoln has used since the mid 70's has always seemed very formal and elegant for me. It also seems slightly baroque, which I think is cool

3- I like the dashboard layout on the Town Cars more. On the 95-97 models, its a modern, flowing design that fits in very nicely with the door panels. The Town Cars have a smaller dashboard than the Fleetwood Broughams do. I don't prefer this because I feel that I'm driving a tank, because the dash is big, and the beltline is higher. If the FWB is anything like my Roadmaster was, it feels massive and is very hard to park. The Town Car doesnt feel as large as the Roadmaster did, but it feels bigger than my deVille does.

The Town Car rides smoother than anything I have ever driven. Even with four new struts, my deVille doesn't even come close. The Town Car is unbelieveably smooth on the freeway, and around town it's excellent too.

I like how the Town Car has the driver's information center. Thats a feature that the Broughams never had. Thats one of my favorite features on my deVille.

They are both extremely reliable cars with great time tested drivetrains, and I believe GM's 4L60-E transmission is superior to Ford's 4R70W tranny. But when the time comes, I will choose the Town Car because I think it's better looking, has more features, and there are more of them around for less money, and while the FWB's are faster, the Town Car's are good performers too.

But yes, If I had to buy another Caddy, It would be a Brougham. I trust the 350 or the 305. It's a good design thats a lot simpler to work on and the 350 or 305 is low maintenance when compared to the finicky 4.9. Plus the basic chassis design has been around since 1977 so I know thats time tested and reliable.

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

nevermind.

But you gotta ask yourself, in a 4500 lb landyacht, do you need it to go 0-60 in 7.2 seconds or whatever?
    ummm, yeah.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.