Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  SSTUD 
#1 ·
Lincoln Plant's Future Looks Bleak

Date Posted 08-24-2005

WIXOM, Mich. — The cancellation of the Lincoln LS midsize luxury sedan at Ford's plant here could potentially be the first step in its closure.

Ford revealed the decision to the plant's 1,800 workers earlier this week. The Detroit Free Press estimates 250 to 280 jobs at the plant could be lost as a result.

Once the LS goes out of production next year, seven years after being introduced, only the Lincoln Town Car and the low-volume Ford GT will remain on the plant's roster. Both of these vehicles could conceivably be built at other Ford plants in North America.

What this means to you: As Ford struggles to stay afloat in the current market, the company will need to make some sacrifices in order to save its operation.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107001#1

91 Chevrolet S-10 Baja
04 Cadillac CTS

My 1991 Chevrolet S-10 BAJA
My 2004 Cadillac CTS

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats too bad. The LS is another example of a vehicle that was allowed to languish in mediocrity and apparently is now paying the price because of it.

Where was the revival of a manual transmission? Where was the higher performance version? And most of all, WHERE was the marketing to keep the vehicle in the consumer's mind?

A real disaster. The LS offered a terrific balance of power, luxury and style. There is no reason this car should have been allowed to cease existence. The Jaguar S Type it shares a platform with is doing very well. But with the death of the LS and Thunderbird, the S Type will be the sole vehicle on DEW98 Platform.

#3 ·
The LS missed the mark from day one. The V8 version was way under powered and the looks, while not terrible were bland and non descript. The potential was there, the execution was not. Like the Aviator, it just never found it's market. With Lincoln going to all front drive cars over the next few years what will the Ford guys have to argue against the Caddy guys now??:D

#6 ·
Randy_W said:
The LS missed the mark from day one. The V8 version was way under powered and the looks, while not terrible were bland and non descript. The potential was there, the execution was not. Like the Aviator, it just never found it's market. With Lincoln going to all front drive cars over the next few years what will the Ford guys have to argue against the Caddy guys now??:D
I think the LS was a very good car when it was first introduced, and for years after. However, Ford neglected Lincoln for a long time now (sure they are starting to re-invest a little more NOW) and put the bulk of money into Jaguar as their main luxury division. (another reason Jaguar bumped Cadillac from the #2 spot in JD Power for quality!) Jags are VERY good quality cars now despite the old myths and stereotypes earned from the past.

The LS simply never changed much and became too boring IMO. Keep a car around for a few years (or 6 years) with no changes and this is what everyone criticizes, even with Cadillacs, etc.

Goodbye LS.

#7 ·
The fit and finish of the LS was far better and I mean FAR better than the CTS part for part. The LS also gave its driver conveniences you couldnt get in anything else shy of 50,000.00 including heated and cooled seats, world's first application of a THX based Audio system with touchscreen navigation, and a fully Electronic parking brake, along with a myriad of other conveniences like Xenon lights and park distance sensors.

You can now get a 2003 LS Premium Sport with DVD Nav and THX for 23000.00.

#9 ·
Poor guy... He came, he did, and then he went. 6 years total, too short of a lifespan for a car that had so much potential.

Ford should have slightly detuned and dropped the Jaguar 4.0L or supercharged 4.6L variant in it to create a performance version to at least keep up with the V. Then it needed a more aggressive styling treatment and above all else, MARKETING. The car was heavily advertised the first couple of years and then a little again in 2003, and then it dropped off the face of the planet.

It didnt have a much longer run than that abominable Aztek!

#12 ·
What really gets my goat is that the paltry Jaguar X-Type, a completely pointless vehicle, is allowed to soldier on for anywhere between another 2 to 3 years with lackluster sales and so-so performance, but the LS gets cancelled without a hint of forethought.

Yea, real good Ford. Keep it up and youll be following your rival GM in no time.

#13 ·
Playdrv4me said:
What really gets my goat is that the paltry Jaguar X-Type, a completely pointless vehicle, is allowed to soldier on for anywhere between another 2 to 3 years with lackluster sales and so-so performance, but the LS gets cancelled without a hint of forethought.

Yea, real good Ford. Keep it up and youll be following your rival GM in no time.
I agree in the fact the X-Type should be dropped in the US

although many sell in Europe :yup:

#17 ·
Administrator said:
Just an FYI.. The Lincoln LS8 (the performance version) was faster than the Cadillac Eldorado ETC and Seville STS...

Build quality wasn't anything special. And resale value was in the toilet.
Sorry Sal but that's not correct. The older 3.9 sure as hell wasn't, with only 252hp in a car around 3700lbs. 0-60 was 7.5s, 1/4 mile was 15.7. (magazine times from the ) The quickest time for an ETC/STS was a full second less. 28 more hp from the new version isn't going to make that up. The LS8 might be competition for SLS/ESC but that's it.

#22 ·
^^Fair enough.

Sal, the best mag time for an LS8 is 14.9. Best for an old STS is still .2 quicker. The best mag 0-60 time is tied at 6.4s for the LS, but you don't see peope saying "I ran a 6.8 second 0-60 at the strip last night" now do you? And I don't see how tied at 6.4 is "faster." I stand by what I've said.

#23 ·
The 2003s started getting quicker, if I'm not mistaken. The LS8 isn't a slow car and I want to make sure people realize that. Even the first year wasn't sluggish or underpowered.. The V6, maybe..

Otherwise.. I thought the best 0-60 for an ETC or Seville STS was 6.6.. I believe that with equally skilled drivers, the LS8 will be the quicker car. The only reason I even replied here is because I don't want people thinking the LS8 is slow - which is bad information.

#24 ·
It sure isn't slow by any means (except the LS6.) I'm not sure how it will get quicker while maintaining the same factory power ratings and apparently only adding weight. The old 252hp 3.9 really wasn't up to par though.

I also don't see how the N* is harder to drive than the LS8, they're both automatics, bring the RPM up against the convertor, launch with just a tiny hint of wheelspin, and go.

#26 ·
Administrator said:
Just an FYI.. The Lincoln LS8 (the performance version) was faster than the Cadillac Eldorado ETC and Seville STS...

Build quality wasn't anything special. And resale value was in the toilet.
The build quality of the 03 and up LS was a level above the CTS if you ask me. Very tight car with great handling. Basically, the LS (and Im talkin the OLD one, 00/01', not to even speak of how good the 03' was) was the only domestic Ive ever driven that had the driving dynamics and characteristics of a BMW 3 Series, or close anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.