STS vs M5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, STS vs M5 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I commute from Windsor, On. Canada to Detroit 5 days a week. I generally do most of my racing/challenging on ...
    beemer2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Unhappy STS vs M5

I commute from Windsor, On. Canada to Detroit 5 days a week. I generally do most of my racing/challenging on the Canadian side because the cops never seem to be on the road (they're probably busy helping people instead of writing tickets - but that's another discussion). I have a 96 STS with exhaust upgrades and a K&N (+-320hp I figure). I pull onto the freeway and I notice this silver beemer making tracks in the fast lane. He looks like a player, so I start closing in on him :coolgleam . I thought it was just a 540 until I got close enough to see the "M" cladding. OK, now I'm behind him and he's behind a tractor trailer. He swerves into the right lane to try to get around the truck, but that lane is also blocked a few cars up ahead by another smaller truck. By this time, I had a good idea he knew I wanted to test his skill (the way he swerved into the right lane said it all). My lane starts to move ahead of his and ultimately the truck ahead of me changes lanes. I don't just want to leave this guy behind, so I pull in front of the truck. Ok, so we're both in the right lane separated by two trucks and a car. I check my side view and see him swerve to the left lane and start to punch it past the trucks. I think he's just gonna roll right past me (I planned on chasing him down ), but he pulls up next to me, slows to match my speed (+-70mph), downshifts and immediately starts to pull on me . I put the pedal to the floor and followed him to about 110, but the faster I got, the more car lengths he put on me. He nearly effortlessly walked away from me. I'm a good sport, so I gave him a friendly wave when he exited off the freeway, but that's the first time I ever felt decidedly whooped in my STS. It didn't feel as bad when I found out the newer M5's have just under 400hp stock, but dammit WE NEED SUPERCHARGERS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: STS vs M5

Those M5's are hard to beat, no shame there... I watch them consistantly kick the pants off of new corvettes all the time... Less the Zo6.... You should see the 370HP euro version of the 91 (older) M5... Those are faster than the new ones as they are so light.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    I commute from Windsor, On. Canada to Detroit 5 days a week. I generally do most of my racing/challenging on the Canadian side because the cops never seem to be on the road (they're probably busy helping people instead of writing tickets - but that's another discussion). I have a 96 STS with exhaust upgrades and a K&N (+-320hp I figure). I pull onto the freeway and I notice this silver beemer making tracks in the fast lane. He looks like a player, so I start closing in on him :coolgleam . I thought it was just a 540 until I got close enough to see the "M" cladding. OK, now I'm behind him and he's behind a tractor trailer. He swerves into the right lane to try to get around the truck, but that lane is also blocked a few cars up ahead by another smaller truck. By this time, I had a good idea he knew I wanted to test his skill (the way he swerved into the right lane said it all). My lane starts to move ahead of his and ultimately the truck ahead of me changes lanes. I don't just want to leave this guy behind, so I pull in front of the truck. Ok, so we're both in the right lane separated by two trucks and a car. I check my side view and see him swerve to the left lane and start to punch it past the trucks. I think he's just gonna roll right past me (I planned on chasing him down ), but he pulls up next to me, slows to match my speed (+-70mph), downshifts and immediately starts to pull on me . I put the pedal to the floor and followed him to about 110, but the faster I got, the more car lengths he put on me. He nearly effortlessly walked away from me. I'm a good sport, so I gave him a friendly wave when he exited off the freeway, but that's the first time I ever felt decidedly whooped in my STS. It didn't feel as bad when I found out the newer M5's have just under 400hp stock, but dammit WE NEED SUPERCHARGERS!!!

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

No shame in losing to an M5. It is one of the best cars in the world imo

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

My question is did you really think you had a chance? But yeah the M5 is god's gift to the sedan world

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

m5......to much car for me! lol

id "settle" for a 6 speed 540

funny thing is, there rated for less hp than a STS, somthing like 282hp, 300tq, but will walk on a stock STS. high 13's/14.0 flat, or low 14's for the auto.

was it a really new one? if it was the brand new one, not sure what year, 2001 maybe? it would have walked all over you like you're in a caviler. must have been the 1996-2000 style? if been doing a little research on them over the last week, since i beat one (most likely a 96-2000 530/528 auto, it was night so i never saw the badging - from 45-105mph) and there IMO alot nicer than caddies (the 540's).

maybe it was a fake m5, actually a 540 6 speed? those too would constantly pull on a sts, a m5 should be able to pull on you like a ls1 6speed vette would

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i wonder what the new m5 is going to do with 500hp v10 and smg under the skin

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutSpecV
    My question is did you really think you had a chance? But yeah the M5 is god's gift to the sedan world
    What can I say. I've beaten the snot out of so many people in my STS, I guess I've gotten a little over confident - but at least you can't say I only hunt the small game.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    WE NEED SUPERCHARGERS!!!

We need STSv in the new rwd platform

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya
    m5......to much car for me! lol

id "settle" for a 6 speed 540

funny thing is, there rated for less hp than a STS, somthing like 282hp, 300tq, but will walk on a stock STS. high 13's/14.0 flat, or low 14's for the auto.

was it a really new one? if it was the brand new one, not sure what year, 2001 maybe? it would have walked all over you like you're in a caviler. must have been the 1996-2000 style? if been doing a little research on them over the last week, since i beat one (most likely a 96-2000 530/528 auto, it was night so i never saw the badging - from 45-105mph) and there IMO alot nicer than caddies (the 540's).

maybe it was a fake m5, actually a 540 6 speed? those too would constantly pull on a sts, a m5 should be able to pull on you like a ls1 6speed vette would
    YES, DAMN YOU, YES!!! I did feel like a Cavalier for a few seconds! But every day I forget a little more

since mercedes went crazy with power, bmw is doing the same, fords also started. gm is kinda doin it, but not as much as everyone else, we need more than a 4.6 w/vvt, whats that, low 14's??? that competes with the 540, what do they have for the m5? i guess the ctsv, but thats a little smaller, are they making a STSv?

i got whooped real bad by a v8 firebird a while back, but i stomped a 626 tonight. you should have seen him when that thing kicked down, his front end droped then picked up really high, im sure it FELT fast LOL, musta been a stick?? gotta beat up the little guys to make yourself feel better!

you do have the "fastest" year sts, ever run it at a track? probably see about 14.4

we'll have our performance parts, bonneville gxp is getting a northstar, that should help the aftermarket

Haven't had it to the track yet. Maybe when the weather breaks in the spring before it gets too warm. Is the Bonne gonna get a 4.6 or the 4.0 they put in the Riviera?

the riviera had a 3.8, most were supercharged, some wern't

aurora had the 4.0

the bonneville se, sle will keep the 3.8
    bonneville GXP will get the 275hp 4.6 (sls motor) but......with the 3.71 gearing (STS gearing) probably the best combo, i think they ship this year too

GERMEEZY1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Don't Feel Bad The M5 Has 400 Horses However If You Really Didn't Like The Fact He Walked All Over You Salvation Is Coming. Take 1 Cadillac Cts-v Series Add Equal Parts Turbos Or Superchargers Stir And You Have A Tonic No Bmw Can Live With! But Even If Not The V Series Cts Will Be Faster Than A M5 Even Stock. And To Whoever Thinks 540i's Are Faster They Are Only Faster If They Have A Stick In Auto They Are Almost Dead Even Less Hp More Torque

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by GERMEEZY1
    Don't Feel Bad The M5 Has 400 Horses However If You Really Didn't Like The Fact He Walked All Over You Salvation Is Coming. Take 1 Cadillac Cts-v Series Add Equal Parts Turbos Or Superchargers
    What do you men by add equal parts turbos or s/c's? The M5 is N/A so wtf you talking about?

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The M5 is fast, but the new Mercedes make it look pretty slow now. You get the CL/SL/S 55 AMG, then you have a high 12 car, and 115MPH..... You get the CL/SL/S 600, you get the twin turbo 12 cyl, you have a mid 12 car at 118MPH, and a screemer part the short 1320 ft race. If that aint enough, there will be a CL/SL/S 65 AMG..... This will be 580HP and 700FT LBS. It will run high 11's and hit 200MPH...... This is the car to have if you want a fast sedan..... Aint no Vseries whatever going to keep up with this, and neither does the Viper. Also, they will have a Renntech upgrade for all these cars... The latter is supposed to be over 800HP with just an ECU upgrade.... These guys have killed everyone....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.