STS vs M5 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, STS vs M5 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; There sure are alot of people that "dont mean to be rude, or Jerks" here..... I have come to the ...
    Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: STS vs M5

There sure are alot of people that "dont mean to be rude, or Jerks" here..... I have come to the determination that some of this group is just what they dont mean to be....... Tired of wasting my time and sharing my experiences with you types....... You got it all figured out.......

This Kill section needs to go "Bye Bye", at least for me, it no longer exists......

My Site

I
    Quote Originally Posted by GERMEEZY1
    I don't mean to be rude but you have no idea not even close to what you are talking about and I also thought this was a pro cadillac website. The CL65 AMG runs 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and does the quarter mile 12.6 @ 118 mph. A Viper and Corvette Z06 are faster. And as for your stupid numbers where did they come from a Mclaren F1 the fastest car ever does 11.1 in the quarter. And I know they will have 604 hp and 738 lb ft sounds like a lot? Another sobering fact they weigh 4800 lbs.....so before you start spouting off at the mouth at least know what you are talking about.
    My Site

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Im not gonna go back and re-read this whole thread to figure out where this crap started, but guys lets try to be civil here, if you have a point to make, MAKE IT. Saying that you dont mean to be rude, when you clearly are being rude is not an excuse. if i run over your dog but do it with a smile does that make it any better? Lets be adults.........starting...................NOW

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by GERMEEZY1
    You must have manure for brains but of course driving an old ass caddy like the one you have would be the reason for your comments. Could you please call GM and tell them their northstar wich they used for IRL and Lemans and also the German Opel Astra DTM team is not a performance engine. If you could also give cadillac hotrod fabricators a call and ask them how in the hell are they able to get 800 + hp from a non performance engine. Let us not confuse the 260 hp boat anchor detuned LT-1 for a real performance engine either because I would crush any stock Fleetwood or Impala SS. The real truth is the LS-1 put in the CTS-V is a real performance engine. But the north star could easily make 400 hp but the fwd transaxle would not be able to handle it. Let us not forget that the STS/DTS are the highest horsepower Fwd cars in the world. And many engineers say 250 hp is the max for Fwd.
    Where to start, where to start....ok.....Well first off find me a CTS-V with a LS1 in it and I will be quite surprised. I was always under the impression that they had LS6's in them. Moving along now, your comparing a million dollar engine to one found in a STS? So I guess the engine thats in a Oldsmobile Aurora is the same engine that is found in the Indy cars? And as for them using it in the Lemans series....oh yeah what place did they come in again? rrrrrrrright. Their race team was a joke at best then. So if the Northstar is such a hot rod of an engine then why aren't they didn't put it in the Vette and Camaro? How come there is 0 aftermarket for the northstar engines as comapred to the LT1? How come for the CTS-V their not using a hopped up Northstar? Please dude, your a tool that know's nothing about the Northstar. Throw a supercharger on a LT1 and throw one on a Northstar and set them both to equal boost and see which engine lasts longer. Oh and plus the fact that the Fleetwood is built off of the Impala SS's chasis which means even more aftermarket for it as well as a lot more parts available for the car to that of any STS, CTS, or DTS. BTW.....20" wheels, PHAT YO!!!

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    So if the Northstar is such a hot rod of an engine then why aren't they didn't put it in the Vette and Camaro? How come there is 0 aftermarket for the northstar engines as comapred to the LT1? How come for the CTS-V their not using a hopped up Northstar?

BTW.....20" wheels, PHAT YO!!!
    Well they didn't put it in the vette or camaro at least partly because a potential buyer would've thought "eww a Cadillac engine that's only 279cid" and might not have bought it. There is no aftermarket for it because it's a Cadillac engine, and maybe .5% of Cadillac owners want more performance (probably less). Now that there is the 4.0 version of the northstar in some Oldsmobiles we might be seeing a little more aftermarket, same with whichever version of the northstar goes in the Bonneville. I'm not saying the northstar is a performance engine by any means though.

Don't dis the 20" wheels either, cause that isnt nice.

beemer2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    Where to start, where to start....ok.....Well first off find me a CTS-V with a LS1 in it and I will be quite surprised. I was always under the impression that they had LS6's in them. Moving along now, your comparing a million dollar engine to one found in a STS? So I guess the engine thats in a Oldsmobile Aurora is the same engine that is found in the Indy cars? And as for them using it in the Lemans series....oh yeah what place did they come in again? rrrrrrrright. Their race team was a joke at best then. So if the Northstar is such a hot rod of an engine then why aren't they didn't put it in the Vette and Camaro? How come there is 0 aftermarket for the northstar engines as comapred to the LT1? How come for the CTS-V their not using a hopped up Northstar? Please dude, your a tool that know's nothing about the Northstar. Throw a supercharger on a LT1 and throw one on a Northstar and set them both to equal boost and see which engine lasts longer. Oh and plus the fact that the Fleetwood is built off of the Impala SS's chasis which means even more aftermarket for it as well as a lot more parts available for the car to that of any STS, CTS, or DTS. BTW.....20" wheels, PHAT YO!!!
    So, if I have this right, you are basing the term "performance engine" on aftermarket support (which is a cop out) and how it places at Le mans (in which everyone including Corvette gets whooped by Audi). By your rationale Audi makes performance engines and Corvette, Caddilac and BMW just try. Bro, if you prefer the more conventional GM powerplants instead of N* power, that's fine. Just state your preference and be done with it. But don't try to prove one engine is more performance oriented by speculating what would or would not happen if you strapped on a supercharger. Somewhere along the line your "Northstars are by no means a performance engine" comment turned into "LT1s are better than Northstars" arguement. It's like saying an apple isn't a real fruit because oranges have more seeds and are easier to pick. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    So, if I have this right, you are basing the term "performance engine" on aftermarket support (which is a cop out) and how it places at Le mans (in which everyone including Corvette gets whooped by Audi). By your rationale Audi makes performance engines and Corvette, Caddilac and BMW just try. Bro, if you prefer the more conventional GM powerplants instead of N* power, that's fine. Just state your preference and be done with it. But don't try to prove one engine is more performance oriented by speculating what would or would not happen if you strapped on a supercharger. Somewhere along the line your "Northstars are by no means a performance engine" comment turned into "LT1s are better than Northstars" arguement. It's like saying an apple isn't a real fruit because oranges have more seeds and are easier to pick. It's ridiculous.
    If you actually read the whole thread you would have seen that I didn't bring up the whole IRL, Leman's stuff.
    And the whole superchargers thing was brought up in this post from Germeezy
    Don't Feel Bad The M5 Has 400 Horses However If You Really Didn't Like The Fact He Walked All Over You Salvation Is Coming. Take 1 Cadillac Cts-v Series Add Equal Parts Turbos Or Superchargers Stir And You Have A Tonic No Bmw Can Live With! But Even If Not The V Series Cts Will Be Faster Than A M5 Even Stock. And To Whoever Thinks 540i's Are Faster They Are Only Faster If They Have A Stick In Auto They Are Almost Dead Even Less Hp More Torque
    and then another post from Germeezy started the whole IRL, Lemans discussion
    You must have manure for brains but of course driving an old ass caddy like the one you have would be the reason for your comments. Could you please call GM and tell them their northstar wich they used for IRL and Lemans and also the German Opel Astra DTM team is not a performance engine. If you could also give cadillac hotrod fabricators a call and ask them how in the hell are they able to get 800 + hp from a non performance engine. Let us not confuse the 260 hp boat anchor detuned LT-1 for a real performance engine either because I would crush any stock Fleetwood or Impala SS. The real truth is the LS-1 put in the CTS-V is a real performance engine. But the north star could easily make 400 hp but the fwd transaxle would not be able to handle it. Let us not forget that the STS/DTS are the highest horsepower Fwd cars in the world. And many engineers say 250 hp is the max for Fwd.
    So to answer your question I don't go trying to compare these engines by how they placed in Lemans. If I wanted to go with that I wouldn't even consider GM as performance engines ever since they needed Cosworth's support to help them make a decent engine for the IRL *Cosworth is a Ford division. So they needed help from the enemy* But either way this topic is getting way off the topic now. So now its just getting pointless.

nxxprometheus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Dude, Dont feel bad about being beat by a M5, I had a 1997 bmw 540i and I tell you I love my 2000 Catera better. I think anyone would agree that drove a bmw they truly pick up quick and have so much power but they have two things i dont like, One being if you hammer it, your afrade of braking the poor thing, also you can feel every bump in the road, it isnt a very comfie ride. On my Catera I love the ride, and the car seems to have so much power behind that little 6 cyl. If I had the money to go out and buy either a BMW or another Cadillac, I wouls defanatly stick with Cadillac. Think about it, Where in america are you going to be able to do 100 plus? The designers for Cadillac know we have no autobauhn, so they design a car that works for us. Thank you Cadie

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Very true.. When I go to Edmunds and look around at BMW reviews, everyone raves about their cars like there's no tomorrow. But most of them complain about it being atleast $1000.00 every time they bring it in for something. I considered a BMW 5 series at one point (used) and completely dropped that idea when I looked into what maintenance costed. It's unreal...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Blackout:

if all you care about is performance and a crappy ride get a neon srt4. the cobra and z06 are similiar in performance, the z06 does have a slight advantage. but your getting ALOT more than just strait line performance.

and how is the northstar not a performance engine??? its the exact same engine as in the aurora, but bigger. the aurora v8 DOMINTATED IRL for like 8 years, NOTHING touched them, the 'northstar' v8 owned all other indy race cars. no its not the same engine, but its based off of it.

then take the shelby series 1, if im not mistaken it was at one time the fastest american production car. powerred by a superchaged 4.0 northstar v8. the northstar IS a performance engineered engine. there are plenty of 600-1200hp northstar powered sandrails. i don't see them using the all so wonderful supercharged 5.4 from a cobra.

there was alot of talk about the northstar going in corvette's. but the old people that buy vette's want big pushrod v8's. they tried dohc once, and it didn't turn out so well.

whoops, just saw all of the other responses saying most of the stuff i said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya
    and how is the northstar not a performance engine??? its the exact same engine as in the aurora, but bigger. the aurora v8 DOMINTATED IRL for like 8 years, NOTHING touched them, the 'northstar' v8 owned all other indy race cars. no its not the same engine, but its based off of it.
    Your comparing a million dollar engine to that of a stock engine.

im saying the northstar is a performace engineered engine, you really have no arguement saying its not. look at the 4.6dohc for used in the cobra's/markviii, very similiar output when they where both introduced. but the cobra has a performance engine, but not the cadillac. its the weight and transmission killing the performance of cadillacs.

also, what about the shelby series 1? it to has a 4.0 northstar, and will take a cobra.

Well the Shelby Series 1 sold for crap and almost made Shelby go bankrupt once again. And with those things running 12.9's thats kinda sad considering the $107,000. And the only reasons why the car is as fast as it is, is because it only weighs 2300 lbs. The Cobra weighs 3664 lbs. So take off 1364 lbs. from the Cobra and you have a $30k car stomping on a $107,000 car. And stock Cobra's have broken into the 12's already, just an FYI.

But after reading your post again which Cobra are you reffering too? With my mentioning the Cobra above that was for the new Cobra. But for a more fair power to power comparison the 1999 SVT Cobra was rated at 320 hp and 317 lb./tq. While the Shelby Series 1 is at 320 hp and 290 lb./tq. And the 1999 is a 13 sec. 1/4 car and weighs in at 3285 lbs. So cut off 985 off the Cobra and once again it will be beating up on the Shelby Series 1.

pocomania is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Best of all worlds: take a new CTS-V to Ligenfelter performance and whether they twin turbo it or just modify it as a naturally aspirated engine you will have one bad Cad. Remember, Ligenfelter built a twin turbo Corvette a few years back that not only drove to and from the track but posted a tru 256 mph speed. His cars have won the tuner shoot-outs that car magazines conduct. Front wheel drive is ok and they do have some serious fwd cars now at the strip running 8 seconds, but, Cadillac and GM in general has decided that rwd with traction control is better. Think about it, no half shafts to fool with.

Cadillac was THE standard of the world for decades until the penny pichers messed it all up. Chain the accountants (Mercedes, BMW and Porsche does), slap the engineers in the head so that they build an engine that can easily be worked on and let the fun begin.

Once again the Corvette saves the day to help Cadillac have a powerful car a la early to mid 90's with the Fleetwood

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.