DeVille '87 vs Lincoln Mark VII '90?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, DeVille '87 vs Lincoln Mark VII '90? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    ocs
    ocs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

DeVille '87 vs Lincoln Mark VII '90?

Hello all,

may I perhaps ask you all for an advice? Though living in Central Europe, I've always preferred decent cars to the things normally used here -- so far, I've had a nice Plymouth Fury and Dodge Ramcharger (morehere, if anybody's interested ). Now I am about to buy a new car, and I happened to bump into one Lincoln Mark VII LSC of '90 (probably made for Canada, since the analog dashboard shows primarily kilometres), and one Cadillac DeVille Coupé of '87.

What would be your advice? I am very slightly biased to the Lincoln at the moment, but somehow cannot quite decide

I've heard those 4.1 engines of '87 Cadillacs were not particularly reliable (and truth is, the car has an engine trouble the very now, which I would have to solve if I decide to buy it). Which of the cars is more reliable--not just engine, but the complete system, incl. tranny, electrical, etc.?

In here, winters tend to be snowy. Happens anybody here to have the experience to tell me which would get me through the snow better -- the DeVille's front drive, or the LCS's limited slip (I haven't been able to check yet, but I understand all, or at least nearly all, LCS's has been equipped by one)?

All parking lots here are, alas, designed for those miniatures used here, not for decent-sized cars I've found both cars are nearly the same size to sub-inch differences; I haven't been able though to find the turn radius, which is extremely important when parking in tight places: happens anybody know both cars and compare them for me?

Does anybody know how much clearance both the cars have under? Nearby to my house there is a place I have to go over a bump on which a long wheelbase low vehicle can be easily high-centered (actually, happened to me once with a Volvo 760 ). I've found the wheelbases on the Web, but alas not the clearances... Also, I understand it might be possible (perhaps) to add a switch to use Lincoln's air suspension to temporarily rise the car an inch or two?

I have sat in Lincoln; haven't been able to try DeVille yet. I presume DeVille's sitting would be considerable more roomy and comfortable (right?). (Note: I don't really care for back seats; normally I drive alone or in two, it's very very seldom there are more of us.)

As for the equipment, the Lincoln seems to have all the bells and whistles. Would DeVille (as said, of 1987) offer anything comparable to Lincoln's cruise control, trip minder, all-power, keyless entry, auto-locks, electronic A/C, CD player, and so forth...? (As for A/C, summers here tend to be hot--whilst by far not in the league of New Mexico, still hot enough the A/C is pretty important )

What about cruising comfort? Presume I am on highway doin' some 90-odd mph (more or less legal here ); would one or the other car product an inconvenient noise, be it engine or aerodynamics-based?

And, since, alas, in Central Europe a litre of gas tends to have roughly the price of a gallon in the U.S. , I'd be grateful for hints which of the cars would have better mileage.

All right, enough--the text is terribly long already I'd be quite grateful for any advice and hint! OC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: DeVille '87 vs Lincoln Mark VII '90?

Quote Originally Posted by ocs
    Hello all,

may I perhaps ask you all for an advice? Though living in Central Europe, I've always preferred decent cars to the things normally used here -- so far, I've had a nice Plymouth Fury and Dodge Ramcharger (morehere, if anybody's interested ). Now I am about to buy a new car, and I happened to bump into one Lincoln Mark VII LSC of '90 (probably made for Canada, since the analog dashboard shows primarily kilometres), and one Cadillac DeVille Coupé of '87.

What would be your advice? I am very slightly biased to the Lincoln at the moment, but somehow cannot quite decide

I've heard those 4.1 engines of '87 Cadillacs were not particularly reliable (and truth is, the car has an engine trouble the very now, which I would have to solve if I decide to buy it). Which of the cars is more reliable--not just engine, but the complete system, incl. tranny, electrical, etc.?

In here, winters tend to be snowy. Happens anybody here to have the experience to tell me which would get me through the snow better -- the DeVille's front drive, or the LCS's limited slip (I haven't been able to check yet, but I understand all, or at least nearly all, LCS's has been equipped by one)?

All parking lots here are, alas, designed for those miniatures used here, not for decent-sized cars I've found both cars are nearly the same size to sub-inch differences; I haven't been able though to find the turn radius, which is extremely important when parking in tight places: happens anybody know both cars and compare them for me?

Does anybody know how much clearance both the cars have under? Nearby to my house there is a place I have to go over a bump on which a long wheelbase low vehicle can be easily high-centered (actually, happened to me once with a Volvo 760 ). I've found the wheelbases on the Web, but alas not the clearances... Also, I understand it might be possible (perhaps) to add a switch to use Lincoln's air suspension to temporarily rise the car an inch or two?

I have sat in Lincoln; haven't been able to try DeVille yet. I presume DeVille's sitting would be considerable more roomy and comfortable (right?). (Note: I don't really care for back seats; normally I drive alone or in two, it's very very seldom there are more of us.)

As for the equipment, the Lincoln seems to have all the bells and whistles. Would DeVille (as said, of 1987) offer anything comparable to Lincoln's cruise control, trip minder, all-power, keyless entry, auto-locks, electronic A/C, CD player, and so forth...? (As for A/C, summers here tend to be hot--whilst by far not in the league of New Mexico, still hot enough the A/C is pretty important )

What about cruising comfort? Presume I am on highway doin' some 90-odd mph (more or less legal here ); would one or the other car product an inconvenient noise, be it engine or aerodynamics-based?

And, since, alas, in Central Europe a litre of gas tends to have roughly the price of a gallon in the U.S. , I'd be grateful for hints which of the cars would have better mileage.

All right, enough--the text is terribly long already I'd be quite grateful for any advice and hint! OC.

For the 90 mph comment, the Deville certainly can't do it. They're limited to 85 mph I believe.

The 4.1 liter is something I would avoid unless you know it was a remanufactured engine or there are extensive service records for the car. Being an '87, I highly doubt there will be any for it. If you like cars by style, the Cadillac Coupe Deville would be the better coice (at least for me).

As much as I hate to admit, the Lincoln is the better car in terms or reliability, and will certainly go over 90 mph on the highway. They have the trusted Ford 5.0 liter engine and some decent power to boot. I didn't like the styling of those Mark VII's, but they're more reliable and have much better power than the anemic HT 4100 Cadillac engine.

So if the price is right, buy the Lincoln and send the Caddy my way; I'll get her faster than that glorified Ford!

ocs

I believe the DeVille speedo is limited to 85, but the car can go up to around 110. Can be wrong though--got the information from Web, never tried myself.

Thanks for the info.

Price seems about right (considering prices here, which are much higher than in the U.S.), though alas there are new and extraordinarily ugly wheels on the MkVII (see here): happens anybody to know what could be a decent price for original ones? (Could be in U.S.--the price of the transport of four wheels would not be as prohibitive as it alas would be for a complete car. I don't really think I would find the wheels here in Europe.)

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

yeah, i have to agree with OCS, the speedo in my '92 SDV goes to 85 and i've done 104mph in that thing once

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Biggest thing to check on the mark is the suspension...if you can see it after it has not been driven for a day or 2 that would be best...they have true air-springs in all 4 corners (assuming they have not been changed to coils by the previous owner), and once they start leaking you either change them all to coils, or get raped trying to keep it stock. If the car has sat for some time you can tell if it has a leak by how high it is sitting...a leaking car will sit about 3" off the ground before the pump lifts it.

The other notorious weak spot is the tranny...make sure O/D works, and that when you are highway crusing it will kick in and out with how hard you put the hammer down.

Looks like it has the sunroof, if it is a ford factory unit you could be in for leaks (aftermarket units have a flange around the outer edge of the glas on the roof itself...the ford units seal right to the roof)
    All in all the build quality of the cad may be a little better, but the reliability and power of the lincoln would take the cake in my book.

If you were talking about a 91+ caddy with the 4.9 it would be a different story. As far as all the bells and whistles, the LSC will have it all over the cad.

My last two lincolns (89 Mark and 85 Conti) were both good for 200k except for the suspension issues
    just my .02
    Timothy

ocs

Tim,

Quote Originally Posted by timothyr
    Biggest thing to check on the mark is the suspension...
    This one I knew of. The car sits undriven for a long time and does not seem to drop a bit: looks all right. Anyway, before buying I would like to drive for a day or two with the suspension switched off, which should definitely prove the state of the thing... if the owner allows me, that is

The other notorious weak spot is the tranny...make sure O/D works, and that when you are highway crusing it will kick in and out with how hard you put the hammer down.
    Ah! This I did not know of. Pretty important -- thanks a lot!

Looks like it has the sunroof, if it is a ford factory unit you could be in for leaks
    Seems right (parked outdoor, no wet spaces far as I can say. Nevertheless, I will check thoroughly.

Thanks a very big lot,
    OC

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

no problem...as far as driving with the suspension off...it should not really matter, if the leak is large enough for concern after driving it under semi-rough conditions, the dash light will come on to indicate the pump has been running to long.

Another side note, if it has been sitting a long time, the airbags can develop cracks which will not show until the suspension is pushed a little...think of it as a tire that has sat on a car for several years without moving...it may still hold air, but with the cracks in the sidewalls, who know what you get when they start moving.

with a little money the LSC could be a total blast, there are all sorts of aftermarket parts from the mustang world that will bolt right up to it.

Have fun
    t

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I'd have to vote for the LSC. The 5.0 HO is nearly indestructible. It will run forever. I beat the ever lovin' crap out of mine. Lots of nitrous, supercharger, etc. At close to 100k miles I took all the go-fast stuff off and sold it. It still ran as nice as the day I bought it. The airbags on the Lincolns are a problem with age. Unlike the GMs where the springs are assisted by air shocks, the Fords have air bags for springs. When they go you have no suspension at all. You see a lot of them 'low riding' around. My dad used to keep a stockpile of junkyard bags for his 'stinkin linkin' (he never grew to love that car the way I loved my 5.0 Mustang). The LSCs have always had a nice combination of class and muscle.

As a side note, I absolutely obliterated an LSC in my DTS on the way home from work last week. From a roll (50 to 90 MPH) and in the corners (at speeds much faster than a sane Deville driver would go) some fat guy in an LSC couldn't hang with me. He gave it the 'ol college try, but I had a few ponies and 10+ years of engineering on him. I didn't even evoke the "STABILITY" message so I wasn't pushing it TOO hard.

Jim

2pac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

whats up OTS?

did you buy any American ride? or still looking?

i also live in EU and looking for some old Caddy. Unfortunatelly i cannot afford my favorite FWB, so i'm searching for a cheaper Deville from 89+.

Curently i drive Citroen XM with hydropneumatic suspension, which i modified so it is extremally soft, at least i can feel like cruising in some boat

I found many positive comments about Lincoln TC on this forum, that it has the smothest ride, so i don't know whether i should hold on and save more money to buy some Lincoln TC 90-93 or to buy Deville '89 4.5 V8 ?

Deville is a classic nice looking beauty comparing to TC which reminds me some taxi limos, but i dont know which one provide softer ride?

I also read to stay away from 4.1 engine, and 4.9 is better. Well what about 4.5 which was released in 1989 ?

Deville is FWD and weights about 600pounds less then RWD TC, but their fuel economy is almost the same. Does it mean that TC is so economic or Deville has so poor mpg?
    cheers!!

well, i'm buying lincoln town car executive series, 91'. it costs 6k, next week i going to pick it up. so happy!!!

i wonder if there is some other forum with so many posts and info but for lincoln users.

i finally got it!
    Lincoln Town Car Executive

when i was paying for petrol at the gas station, the first question was "-how big is the engine?" i could proudly answer "- four point six liter"
    i am really surprised with MPG!!! 150km trip and it burned less then my Citroen 2.1 diesel!!!! how is this possible for such a big car???

i admit i drove rather slow, but cruising in this car is a pleausure !! i didnt hear a single crack or knocking sound from the car interior or suspension, and this LTC is 15 years old!! amazing

the ride is extremely smooth! example we have such little slow down bumps just before the street lights some time, they're thick vertical lines of an extra paint on the road, but they make "bum bum bum bum" sound when i drive a regular car over it, when i was driving Lincoln i didn't feel a thing!!

i'm really glad i bought it.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac
    well, i'm buying lincoln town car executive series, 91'. it costs 6k, next week i going to pick it up. so happy!!!

i wonder if there is some other forum with so many posts and info but for lincoln users.
    There is its called cadillacowners do a search and it will come up. Its a very good forum for Ford/Lincoln owners but the Caddy section is like being alone in the desert.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.