1975 battle of the luxury compacts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 1975 battle of the luxury compacts in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Seville $12,479 180 hp, 0-60 mph 11.5 Vs BMW 530i $9,187 176 hp, 0-60 mph 8.7 seconds. The start of ...
    frip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1975 battle of the luxury compacts

Seville $12,479 180 hp, 0-60 mph 11.5 Vs BMW 530i $9,187 176 hp, 0-60 mph 8.7 seconds. The start of the "international size" luxury comparisons. Seville wasn't cheap.

1975-79 Seville

Vs

1975-78 e12 530i

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Randy_W is offline Banned

Re: 1975 battle of the luxury compacts

Still maybe the best looking Cadillac ever built when compared to it's contemporaries!:coolgleam

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Those were MUCH better than the bustleback of the early 80s. The Sevilles are hardly a compact, though I never expected a 5 series to be that tiny. I don't care if it cost less, my 75 Deville is more comfortable and rides nicer. Plus the extra 150ci over Sevilles 350 makes it .6 seconds faster as well.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

That BMW was probably the better driving car, but the Seville looks alot classier. Its a toss-up there. Really depends what you want out of the car. Back then Cadillac was justified in its higher pricetag as well, one look and you can tell from a distance the Seville is the more luxurious ride. Take for example the wire wheels. Those werent the cheap Wire wheel COVERS that became commonplace on Caprice's and Cadillacs in the 80's, but rather genuine FULL wire wheels, and those wheels were NOT cheap to produce either. If I could find a Seville that still looked like that, Id snap it up in an instant, that car would get more attention than most of the ones Ive driven so far.

On length the Seville was 206 in long Vs 190 inches for the 5 series, also 4,300 lbs Vs 3,300 lbs for weight. Both rear drive so it's a better comparison than with the front drive bustleback.

I can't work out why the Seville was more expensive than the full size models? My choice would be Deville 1st, BMW 2nd and Seville 3rd. I figure if you want luxury you might as well go full size, for sport the 530i and you even get four on the floor. The Seville always struck me as an uneasy compromise.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

damn...that bimmer is ugly as sin...

Ha, ha, that's what cars looked like 30 years ago. Those were the days of the Mazda RX4 and Datsun B210.

I think Seville and 5 series were chosen by R&T in their 10 best cars of 1975. The original Seville being Nova based wasn't really big enough to be classed a true intermediate. Cadillac maybe went in the wrong direction with the bustleback because by the 90s they were targeting the Northstar Seville at BMW. If only they stuck with rear drive.

Datsun!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

That Seville was a hot looking car.. The BMW was very boring-looking. At least to me it was.. I would have taken the Cadillac any day...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

With the sleeper look of the 80s just around the corner BMW had the right sport sedan look for the next decade.

The original Seville was a good looking car, IMO nicer looking than the retro bustleback. Only now are they getting back to rear drive, it took so long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.