general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i was curious to see what you guys had noticed were some differences between Lincoln and Cadillac. heres what i've ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

i was curious to see what you guys had noticed were some differences between Lincoln and Cadillac. heres what i've got:
    1- Lincolns have a plusher ride and a more luxurious interior.
    2- Cadillac has always had a wider model range
    3- Lincoln shares their motors with Ford, Cadillac for the most part uses exclusive motors.
    4- Cadillac has always seemed more ready to go into more modern designs & Ideas (1959 all models, 1967 Eldorado, they downsized first in 1977, 1976 Seville, 1980 Seville, 1992 STS, CTS, XLR, V Series)
    5- Lincoln borrows some of cadillacs' ideas (1977 Versailles, 1988 Continental)

thats all i've got now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

And the largest irony is that they were both spawned by the same creator many many years ago.

But yes, for the most part Lincoln has always trailed Cadillac, and really most of the luxury industry for that matter. Either in power, features or design but that doesnt mean they havent had some very desirable cars over the years.

I really wouldnt say that Cadillac's engines are necessarily any more exclusive than Lincoln's though. I mean the LSV8 has a relatively exclusive engine which was also used by Jaguar for a time, the Navigator has a smoothed over version of the 5.4 Triton and the Escalade has the same 6.0L corporate Vortec motor as some of the other truck line (and the exact same 5.3L in the 2WD models), also with some refinements of its own. The Northstar has had various iterations also used in vehicles like the Oldsmobile Aurora and the Bonneville GXP (which is basically the same G Chassis as the DTS and previous STS anyway). The CTS 3.6 is somewhat exclusive for now, but its going to be shared soon with Saturn and of course the CTS-V has the corporate LS Vette engine. So I'd say a good 80 percent of the engine designs within Caddy are in fact in some way or another used in other brands.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The general differences...... between the companies......Ford is starving Lincoln, putting money into Jaguar as their priemiere luxury division and GM wisely re-invested in Cadillac and the investiment is paying off!

Lincoln hasn't had much of anything new in a long while. How long has the LS been around with the Same styling?

There is a Cadillac offered for everybody to suit their needs, but I don't feel the same about Lincoln. Cadillacs have more powerful engines, in general.

I used to love the styling of the 2000 Town Car but now they got rid of the big chrome "toothy" waterfall grille and they look like Grand Marquis now!

Cadillac is actually building cars to compete with the European vehicles like BMW and MB, with advanced technology, etc. And with vehicles like the new supercharged STS-V, I'm sure they will be successful and re-gain that status once lost in the 1980's. (if they haven't already)

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

The Northstar is above all a Cadillac engine. It's shared with 2 low volume vehicles, one of which is no longer made and wasn't even a full northstar anyway. The LS8 3.9 is also used in the Thunderbird isn't it? Either way the Mark VIII uses a Cobra motor, the Town Car uses the 4.6... so I'd say Cadillac engines are significantly more exclusive.

Not that being exclusive is really important.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The Northstar is above all a Cadillac engine. It's shared with 2 low volume vehicles, one of which is no longer made and wasn't even a full northstar anyway. The LS8 3.9 is also used in the Thunderbird isn't it? Either way the Mark VIII uses a Cobra motor, the Town Car uses the 4.6... so I'd say Cadillac engines are significantly more exclusive.

Not that being exclusive is really important.
    Not to mention the 4.9 was never used in any other type of GM car. Exclusively "Cadillac."

I like how my air cleaner housing proudly proclaims this.

The Mark VIII should have never been killed.

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

ive owned a 1990 continental and currently a 1990 deville. in my opinion the exterior styling of the deville puts the lincoln to shame. the interior is a different story...and the way the two cars ride is like night and day to me. ill take the cadillac any day.

but, since im in the market for a new car now, id be lying if i said i hadnt considered a fairly new town car.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdobbins
    ive owned a 1990 continental and currently a 1990 deville. in my opinion the exterior styling of the deville puts the lincoln to shame. the interior is a different story...and the way the two cars ride is like night and day to me. ill take the cadillac any day.

but, since im in the market for a new car now, id be lying if i said i hadnt considered a fairly new town car.
    Sorry to say but whoever designed and engineered the 1988 to 1994 Lincoln Continental should have been drug out back and shot. That was one of the biggest automotive abominations in history. A V6 to start with, an UNRELIABLE and problem prone (head gaskets etc.) V6, and numb steering and above all else the worst airbag suspension I have ever seen. Id be curious to hear Sandy's opinion of these year Continentals. I havent met a single person who owned one that actually enjoyed their time with it.

As far as the Northstar. The way the point was posed it was as if the engine had never been shared and that simply isnt true. And based on what Im seeing out on the road the Aurora's were not low volume vehicles. I would not be surprised to see it pop up elsewhere as well. The 4.0L version in the Aurora was just a smaller displacement version. The T-Bird was developed off the same DEW98 platform as the LS and I would consider that a limited run vehicle. The Bonnie GXP is also limited run.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Ugh. That Continental not only ruined the Continental nameplate (the proper V8 version that followed was decent but not enough to save it), and it offset all the gains Lincoln made with the rock solid Town Car, Mark 8, and the 32v 4.6L V8.

yah, but was the '88-94 Continental worse to Lincoln than the 78-85 Diesels, or the HT4100 V8 was to Cadillac. Now this may be a pro cadillac site, but lets not forget some of cadillacs's screw ups: 1982-88 Cimmarron, 350 Diesel, 4.1, V8-6-4, the allante (it was a great car, it just never sold well or got good reviews) see, just because Lincoln has played 2nd fiddle to Cadillac for most of the 20th century doesnt mean Lincoln is bad. IMO Lincoln could never catch up in the sales race because they didnt have as many models as Cadillac does.

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

WELL, THE ONLY THING THAT I SEE THAT LINCOLN HAVE ADVANCE OVER CADILLAC IS THAT THEY GET MORE OF THEIR CAR TURN INTO LIMO.
    CADILLAC FAN FOREVER

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

and that's because Lincolns are still old frame on body designs, not unibody like Cadillacs are and have been for years.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The Northstar is above all a Cadillac engine.
    Oh really?

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    Ugh. That Continental not only ruined the Continental nameplate (the proper V8 version that followed was decent but not enough to save it), and it offset all the gains Lincoln made with the rock solid Town Car, Mark 8, and the 32v 4.6L V8.
    I remember you referring to it as the Lincoln Taurus, and I agree. They shared all mechanicals, the only thing that was different was the body and interior. My dad bought one in 94 for 36k and I was wondering why he didn't get a STS at the time.

theres nothing wrong with body on frame, i think caddy should bring back a body on frame fleetwood, make it compete with the town car, but have the 6.0L escalade V8 or the 5.3 V8 used in the impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, or maybe even that 395hp 6.0L V8 used in the 06 SSR! It would be awesome! but where would they get a chassis for a body on frame car? could they use the Trailblazer Platform or another light truck platform?

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

HOLD IT!!!!! The Mark VIII does NOT use a cobra motor. The Cobra uses a Mark VIII motor. Lincolns are usually quicker than Cadillacs, but give off a rougher ride. Cadillac uses a more "European Luxury" Lincoln goes for more "Sporty Luxury". Caddy and Lincoln both have cool gadets that usually don't work and cost a lot to fix. Lincoln has more comfy intereior, but Caddy has more class on the inside. Lincoln has better styling than Caddy, but the caddy gets better gas milage. These are the best comparisons I can come up with.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.